He isn't Johnny Manziel

Dcronin

Not even close. Watch Manziel highlights. He's running. He's scrambling. Watch Baker Mayfield here - he is throwing into tight windows, throwing people open.

Colin Cowherd's video today comparing him to Manziel is just blowhard lazy comparing.

This guy will ball out. I can feel it.

DC

10 minutes ago, Dcronin said:

Not even close. Watch Manziel highlights. He's running. He's scrambling. Watch Baker Mayfield here - he is throwing into tight windows, throwing people open.

Colin Cowherd's video today comparing him to Manziel is just blowhard lazy comparing.

DC

He still isn’t a top 5 pick 

He's a gamer.  There's no doubt about it.  And, he's a real QB...a thrower and a passer who always seems to know that the ball will go farther in the air than if he tries to run it.  His eyes always seem to be downfield, creates his own throwing lanes, buys time and finds his 4th or 5th option, etc.  He's a very, very good QB.  If he was 2" taller he'd probably go #1 and there might not really be a question about it.

Apparently he lit up the whiteboard and had great interviews.  The only thing keeping this guy "in the mix" with a few other QBs and not being the clear #1 in this group is his height.  I think the immaturity stuff is minor.  He's a competitor and what college guy hasn't spouted off at the mouth or gestured at an opponent in the heat of battle?  I can look past that stuff if all the other attitude, work ethic, maturity stuff seems to line up.

No problem taking him at 3 for me.

Just now, jetstream23 said:

He's a gamer.  There's no doubt about it.  And, he's a real QB...a thrower and a passer who always seems to know that the ball will go farther in the air than if he tries to run it.  His eyes always seem to be downfield, creates his own throwing lanes, buys time and finds his 4th or 5th option, etc.  He's a very, very good QB.  If he was 2" taller he's probably go #1 and there might not really be a question about it.

Apparently he lit up the whiteboard and had great interviews.  The only thing keeping this guy "in the mix" with a few other QBs and being the clear #1 in this group is his height.  I think the immaturity stuff is minor.  He's a competitor and what college guy hasn't spouted off at the mouth or gestured at an opponent in the heat of battle.  I can look past that stuff if all the other attitude, work ethic, maturity stuff seems to line up.

No problem taking him at 3 for me.

He can’t do that at the NFL level he ran a 4.85 40, average for NFL DL this isn’t college, and his team sure as sh*t isn’t gonna give him 20 minutes to throw like his college O-line did, he isn’t Russell Wilson he won’t be able to scramble he will have to play in the pocket, AND he can’t make the throws outside the numbers from the pocket at the NFL level this will be his downfall plain and simple.

The video shows a lot of throws to wide open WRs.

If Mayfield starts doing coke then he'll be another Manziel.  The problem is that Mayfield is short, weak armed and played on a team that was way, way better than its competition in a weak conference.  The lack of physical tools would normally drop Mayfield significantly in the 1st, but because of the dearth of quality QBs, he'll go top 10. 

Mayfield is just simply not as good a prospect as Darnold, Rosen and Allen.  Their flaws can be coached-up, Mayfield's flaws can't.

2 minutes ago, SMC said:

If Mayfield starts doing coke then he'll be another Manziel.  The problem is that Mayfield is short, weak armed and played on a team that was way, way better than its competition in a weak conference.  The lack of physical tools would normally drop Mayfield significantly in the 1st, but because of the dearth of quality QBs, he'll go top 10. 

Mayfield is just simply not as good a prospect as Darnold, Rosen and Allen.  Their flaws can be coached-up, Mayfield's flaws can't.

Weak armed? Someone pull up the velocity test for this guy.

51 minutes ago, Dcronin said:

DC

Cowherd is a douche. here are his clips the last few days:

- the bills and not the jets should have traded up to the three spot because now and only now the giants will take a QB to screw the jets

- there was a yahoo mock draft (which he called a "report") that the bills will trade up and pick second...seriously he talked about it being a mock draft, and then said something like....if this report is true...i mean jeez

19 minutes ago, SMC said:

Allen’s accuracy can be coached up? Hmmm 

3 hours ago, Dcronin said:

DC

I joke around about it some time, but I can't help thinking how exciting it might be to have him as our QB.  I mean I love Darnold and Allen is a specimen, but Mayfield has his own special magic. 

I don't see a comp between Manziel and Mayfield other than being a little too "loud" and "attention seekers." Many teams will take a kid that does this off their boards (not saying agree...):
RegularTallIndianglassfish-max-1mb.gif&key=cc08f4148fe628a99434cbfe29c65292c42b7b2527409a0fd66dd1be06924201

Everyone mentions the crotch grabbing but never the fact that the Kansas players completely ignored him and refused to shake his hand before the coin toss. This was a reaction to their disrespect not completely spontaneous.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

13 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Not a comparison at all since Baker is not a cokehead

Manziel chose the drug over the NFL so we have no idea what would have happened 

Exactly. 

It wasn't Johnny Football's size that cost him his NFL career, or the offense he ran in college, or his arm strength, or his on-field cockiness/antics... it was drugs, partying and addiction.  

Until I hear that Baker has those same problems I'll disregard the comparison as superficial and lazy.  

2 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Exactly. 

It wasn't Johnny Football's size that cost him his NFL career, or the offense he ran in college, or his arm strength, or his own-field cockiness/antics... it was drugs, partying and addiction.  

Until I hear that Baker has those same problems I'll disregard the comparison as superficial and lazy.  

Well put. That's exactly my point. The fact that Cowherd delivers this stuff with such utter glibness and cockiness and self-assuredness is so annoying.

9 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

He can’t do that at the NFL level he ran a 4.85 40, average for NFL DL this isn’t college, and his team sure as sh*t isn’t gonna give him 20 minutes to throw like his college O-line did, he isn’t Russell Wilson he won’t be able to scramble he will have to play in the pocket, AND he can’t make the throws outside the numbers from the pocket at the NFL level this will be his downfall plain and simple.

All four of the top QBs ran between 4.81 and 4.85.  For comparison, Carson Wentz ran a 4.77, Aaron Rodgers ran a 4.71.  So 4.81 isn't half bad.

I like him but he would be my #4 guy in the DP. The NFL D-linemen are the best of the best from college. They are big, fast and have freak athleticism. I think it’s a talented QB bunch this year but the other 3 go first IMHO.

15 hours ago, Dcronin said:

DC

I watch this and see a guy that would get crushed in NFL, he throws like that it's interception city and if he tries to run like that, the stronger and faster def of the NFL will crush him, good God please don't draft this bum.

16 hours ago, Dcronin said:

DC

This is the guy I'm hoping for.  Short on measurables.  High on heart and instinct.  He will be a very good pro.

16 hours ago, Dcronin said:

DC

agree !.. manziel is better   :rolleyes:

Archived