Brian Costello: "There has been heavy buzz here at the NFL league meetings that the Jets love Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield, and he is whom they want with the third pick in next month’s draft"

Jetsbb

https://nypost.com/2018/03/27/todd-bowles-just-stoked-all-the-baker-mayfield-to-jets-buzz/

ORLANDO, Fla. — Broadway Baker?

It sounds like it could happen.

There has been heavy buzz here at the NFL league meetings that the Jets love Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield, and he is whom they want with the third pick in next month’s draft. Jets coach Todd Bowles furthered that thought Tuesday with some of his comments during an hour-long session with reporters.

While Bowles put on his best poker face when asked about the college quarterbacks, he dropped some clues that Mayfield may be the guy for the Jets.

Asked what he looks for when evaluating a college quarterback, he said, “Obviously, leadership, accuracy, toughness, intelligence.”

Who does that sound like?

Mayfield completed 70.5 percent of his passes, the highest percentage in the nation, for the Sooners on his way to the Heisman Trophy last season, is universally praised for his leadership skills and is viewed as a very smart quarterback who showed tenacity walking on at both Texas Tech and Oklahoma.

The Jets have done their homework on Mayfield. They met with him at the Senior Bowl, the Scouting Combine and then attended his pro day and had a private workout with him on Saturday in Oklahoma. They also plan to have him visit their Florham Park headquarters along with the other top quarterback prospect

“You see it on the field,” Bowles said. “There’s not too much you’re going to get out of him at the combine in 15 minutes. You’ve got to ask all type of football questions. We’ll do our due diligence going forward. You see the player and you see the play and you know the guy can play football, and he’s a competitor.”

The word around the league meetings is the Jets love his leadership abilities. They see him as the player who could be their spark plug on offense, a player they can pair with last year’s first-round pick, Jamal Adams, their new leader on defense, for years.

The Jets are well aware that a rookie quarterback will face a different challenge coming to New York than a smaller market. There are people in the organization who saw Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith go through the meat grinder here. Mayfield is ultra confident and seems like he would be unfazed by the noise of New York.

“We’re looking for leadership, obviously confidence,” Bowles said. “It takes a different kind of guy to play in New York.”

When the Jets made the move up from No. 6 to No. 3 earlier this month, some (looking in the mirror) thought Mayfield may not be in the Jets’ plans because of his height. At just under 6-foot-1, he is not the prototypical size of an NFL quarterback and does not fit what general manager Mike Maccagnan has done in the past.But Bowles said measurables only matter so much.

“They’re important to a degree,” Bowles said. “Winning is more important. You just have to weigh the pluses and the minuses on that. Quarterback measurables are important. Defensive back measurables are important. There’s a height requirement there as well. There’s a height requirement for linebackers and defensive linemen.

“We have a list of things — do’s and don’ts and can’ts and won’ts — that we’ll do regardless of who it is. So, for me, barring a slot receiver, a slot corner or a returner maybe, everybody else damn well else better be above 5-8. So, there’s a requirement for a lot of things that we have. Some you measure the size versus the player. And some are definite no’s. And some you take a chance on.”

But isn’t it tough to play quarterback if you’re short?

“Russell Wilson will argue that,” Bowles said. “As well as Fran Tarkenton. As well as quite a few other guys. So you don’t know. If you can play, you can play.”

There are also some who see Mayfield as a character risk after an arrest last year and then some high-profile incidents on the field, like planting the flag midfield at Ohio State after the Sooners won.

“It’s college football,” Bowles said. “He’s an emotional guy. I’ve seen [Terrell Owens] do a lot of things. I’ve seen worse than that.

“Players get excited when they play. That’s kind of the way they are.”

Bowles said Jets fans approach him every day with suggestions of whom they should get at quarterback.

“I’ve heard bring Joe Namath back,” Bowles said with a laugh.

Broadway Joe is not walking through that door … but Broadway Baker just might.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

https://nypost.com/2018/03/27/todd-bowles-just-stoked-all-the-baker-mayfield-to-jets-buzz/

ORLANDO, Fla. — Broadway Baker?

It sounds like it could happen.

There has been heavy buzz here at the NFL league meetings that the Jets love Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield, and he is whom they want with the third pick in next month’s draft. Jets coach Todd Bowles furthered that thought Tuesday with some of his comments during an hour-long session with reporters.

While Bowles put on his best poker face when asked about the college quarterbacks, he dropped some clues that Mayfield may be the guy for the Jets.

Asked what he looks for when evaluating a college quarterback, he said, “Obviously, leadership, accuracy, toughness, intelligence.”

Mayfield completed 70.5 percent of his passes, the highest percentage in the nation, for the Sooners on his way to the Heisman Trophy last season, is universally praised for his leadership skills and is viewed as a very smart quarterback who showed tenacity walking on at both Texas Tech and Oklahoma.

The Jets have done their homework on Mayfield. They met with him at the Senior Bowl, the Scouting Combine and then attended his pro day and had a private workout with him on Saturday in Oklahoma. They also plan to have him visit their Florham Park headquarters along with the other top quarterback prospect

“You see it on the field,” Bowles said. “There’s not too much you’re going to get out of him at the combine in 15 minutes. You’ve got to ask all type of football questions. We’ll do our due diligence going forward. You see the player and you see the play and you know the guy can play football, and he’s a competitor.”

The word around the league meetings is the Jets love his leadership abilities. They see him as the player who could be their spark plug on offense, a player they can pair with last year’s first-round pick, Jamal Adams, their new leader on defense, for years.

The Jets are well aware that a rookie quarterback will face a different challenge coming to New York than a smaller market. There are people in the organization who saw Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith go through the meat grinder here. Mayfield is ultra confident and seems like he would be unfazed by the noise of New York.

“We’re looking for leadership, obviously confidence,” Bowles said. “It takes a different kind of guy to play in New York.”

When the Jets made the move up from No. 6 to No. 3 earlier this month, some (looking in the mirror) thought Mayfield may not be in the Jets’ plans because of his height. At just under 6-foot-1, he is not the prototypical size of an NFL quarterback and does not fit what general manager Mike Maccagnan has done in the past.But Bowles said measurables only matter so much.

“They’re important to a degree,” Bowles said. “Winning is more important. You just have to weigh the pluses and the minuses on that. Quarterback measurables are important. Defensive back measurables are important. There’s a height requirement there as well. There’s a height requirement for linebackers and defensive linemen.

“We have a list of things — do’s and don’ts and can’ts and won’ts — that we’ll do regardless of who it is. So, for me, barring a slot receiver, a slot corner or a returner maybe, everybody else damn well else better be above 5-8. So, there’s a requirement for a lot of things that we have. Some you measure the size versus the player. And some are definite no’s. And some you take a chance on.”

But isn’t it tough to play quarterback if you’re short?

“Russell Wilson will argue that,” Bowles said. “As well as Fran Tarkenton. As well as quite a few other guys. So you don’t know. If you can play, you can play.”

There are also some who see Mayfield as a character risk after an arrest last year and then some high-profile incidents on the field, like planting the flag midfield at Ohio State after the Sooners won.

“It’s college football,” Bowles said. “He’s an emotional guy. I’ve seen [Terrell Owens] do a lot of things. I’ve seen worse than that.

“Players get excited when they play. That’s kind of the way they are.”

Bowles said Jets fans approach him every day with suggestions of whom they should get at quarterback.

“I’ve heard bring Joe Namath back,” Bowles said with a laugh.

Broadway Joe is not walking through that door … but Broadway Baker just might.

I would welcome this.  However, our beat guys rarely get anything right.

I wouldn't mind it one bit, if he was maybe 2 inches taller and Manziel never existed, he'd be the No. 1 pick without a doubt in my eyes. 

Baker Mayfield: 

70.5 completion, 43/6 TD/INT, 11.5 Y/A, 198.9 QB Rating, strong arm, somewhat mobile

Player A:

67.9 completion, 50/8 TD/INT, 9.8 Y/A, 180.8 QB Rating, strong arm until injury, not mobile.  

Who is Player A?

1 minute ago, win4ever said:

I wouldn't mind it one bit, if he was maybe 2 inches taller and Manziel never existed, he'd be the No. 1 pick without a doubt in my eyes. 

Baker Mayfield: 

70.5 completion, 43/6 TD/INT, 11.5 Y/A, 198.9 QB Rating, strong arm, somewhat mobile

Player A:

67.9 completion, 50/8 TD/INT, 9.8 Y/A, 180.8 QB Rating, strong arm until injury, not mobile.  

Who is Player A?

Player A is Geno Smith 

wait you said not mobile...hell idk.

4 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Baker Mayfield: 

Player A:

Who is Player A?

Mason Rudolph ;-)

he dropped some clues that Mayfield may be the guy for the Jets.

I guess that settles it. That doesn't sound like any other QB. 

Just now, Warfish said:

If we want Mayfield, I cannot imagine a scenario where he won't be there at pick #3, so...

They probably traded up further than needed at 3 to get him. BUT that spot guarantees them one of Darnold, Rosen or Baker. So if he is their guy, and they are right, history will say it was a great trade.

The board will explode if he is the QB, taunting the other team at midfield lol.

6 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Baker Mayfield: 

Player A:

Who is Player A?

Someone with worse numbers then Broadway Baker.

Wow - I'm not sure Bowles has it in him to play coy here.

Can Mayfield really be the guy?  I mean, what would he be hoping to accomplish by a smoke screen?

Unless it's to make Cleveland think they can get their QB at 4 - so they take Barkley at 1?  Otherwise there's no point.

I would be happy with Baker - very happy - but I don't buy it.

Just now, Maxman said:

They probably traded up further than needed at 3 to get him.

I agree.  

Just now, Maxman said:

BUT that spot guarantees them one of Darnold, Rosen or Baker.

I agree.

Just now, Maxman said:

So if he is their guy, and they are right, history will say it was a great trade.

If he is successful, I agree.

Just now, Maxman said:

The board will explode if he is the QB, taunting the other team at midfield lol.

I agree.

Then again, I think the Board will asssplode no matter who we pic at #3.

Comedy pick:  Minkah Fitzpatrick at #3 (lol).  Would be great for forum traffic.

In the run up to the draft, I expect each of our beat writers at some point to write an article identifying each of the big 4 as the guy that we traded up for.  This is Costello's Mayfield article.  There probably is or will be an Allen article and one each on Rosen and Darnold as the guy. 

This way, on draft night, he can write his "As I reported last month..." article and pat himself on the back.

Just now, Lith said:

In the run up to the draft, I expect each of our beat writers at some point to write an article identifying each of the big 4 as the guy that we traded up for.  This is Costello's Mayfield article.  There probably is or will be an Allen article and one each on Rosen and Darnold as the guy. 

This way, on draft night, he can write his "As I reported last month..." article and pat himself on the back.

there's not much else to write about with the jets draft.  the reality is they're getting allen or rosen, whereas the giants have a much tougher choice.  

Archived