Nick Mangold.. HOF 'er ? ? ?

kelly

IMO - for a Center to be a HOFer, he either has to have anchored a couple championship teams, or be the consensus #1 center in the NFL for a good 5-7 seasons.  He's been to some pro bowls, could make the argument he was the league's best around '09-'10, but he falls short of the HOF.  The guy has got a great personality and sense of humor, might be good on TV/radio.  

Great player, but I don't think he quite makes the cut. It's tough for o-lineman, especially centers. They tend to need to be all-world for a long time. Mangold has 7 pro bowls, 2 First Team All Pro and 1 Second Team All Pro. I don't think that quite gets it done. The most recent center to get in is Dermontti Dawson who had 6 First Team All Pros and was on the NFL all 90s Team. But you never know.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

If Klecko cannot make the Hall of Fame, I don't know whether Mangold can.  

Great player though.  Call time great draft pick for where he was selected.  

Mangold had a better career than klecko but C is a tougher position to make the Hall than DE/DT.  Mawae is likely to make it in next year or two but I'm not sure Mangold did enough though he was an all time great Jet.

Nick Mangold is a Hall of Fame player to NY Jets fans thats it. 

I will try  to attend the game he is inducted into the Ring of Honor.

Maybe @SAR I will gift me his tickets. 

THANK YOU Nick Mangold for the dedicated years of playing hard and being a class act on and off the field. 

Image result for nick mangold ny jets pics

4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Mangold had a better career than klecko but C is a tougher position to make the Hall than DE/DT.  Mawae is likely to make it in next year or two but I'm not sure Mangold did enough though he was an all time great Jet.

Great Jet. Ring of honor at the minimum. 

The Nick Mangold you didn’t know (but Mark Sanchez did)

April 17, 2018 | 6:56pm

MORE FROM:

BRIAN COSTELLO

This was in the back of one of the end zones of Baltimore’s M&T Bank Stadium on a Sunday night in early October 2011.

Nick Mangold, the Jets’ all-world center, was trying to run laterally, with then-Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum, coach Rex Ryan and members of the team’s medical staff looking on. It was not going well. The concern on the faces of all involved was obvious.

That night Mangold would miss his second straight game due to a high-ankle sprain, the first games he missed in his career. A rookie named Colin Baxter would start in his place. The Ravens baffled the Mangold-less Jets with blitzes and defensive looks that Baxter could not figure out. Quarterback Mark Sanchez was sacked on the Jets’ first play by safety Ed Reed, fumbled the ball and watched linebacker Jameel McClain take the ball into the end zone for the first of three defensive touchdowns the Ravens would score that night.

“We got smoked,” Sanchez said Tuesday afternoon over the phone. “They knew [Mangold was missing]. They were all over us. They were like, ‘There is a chink in their armor and OK, here we go.’”

Modal Trigger
Ed Reed closes in on SanchezREUTERS

Mangold called it a career on Tuesday, sending out a tweet at 7:40 a.m., a nod to his uniform number 74. The announcement came 14 months after the Jets released him and put the final punctuation mark on a career that spanned 11 seasons with the Jets and resulted in seven Pro Bowl appearances and two selections as a first-team All-Pro.

When I think of Mangold, I think of that night in Baltimore. It was when Mangold was not playing that his talent was most evident. Like your car’s power steering, you only really appreciate it when suddenly you don’t have it.

Mangold, 34, referred to himself as a “Steady Eddie” in his farewell post. That is exactly what Mangold was. Over the decade between 2006-15, there were a few things you could always count on with the Jets — quarterback drama, disappointing ends to the season and Mangold and his partner on the line, D’Brickashaw Ferguson, lining up every week.

SEE ALSO

Mangold and Ferguson were both drafted in the first round in 2006 and became the cornerstones of the Jets offense. While Ferguson was the tactician, Mangold was the surgeon.

“He’s an incredibly intelligent person and his football IQ is off the charts,” Sanchez said.

Mangold would spend the offseason studying not just blocking schemes but also the motions and formations for the wide receivers so he would know exactly what to look for when he eyed the opposing defense.

In Oakland in 2009, Sanchez came to the line on one play with two options. When he looked at the defense, he was unsure which call to make.

“Nicky, what do you like?” Sanchez asked before his cadence.

Mangold raised an arm to indicate which way they should run the ball. Shonn Greene took the ball into the end zone for a touchdown. On his way off the field, teammates and coaches lauded the rookie Sanchez for making a great call at the line.

Modal Trigger
Mangold in 2011AP

Away from the field, Mangold’s sharp wit and sarcastic sense of humor kept his teammates laughing. He would walk around the locker room in a plush robe with his name and number on the back. On Fridays, he called his routine of massages and soaks in the hot and cold tubs “Spa Day.”

When Sanchez would appear on Page Six with whatever starlet he was dating that week, Mangold would always have something to say.

“He would conveniently have a paper there,” Sanchez said. “He would say to Alan Faneca and Brandon Moore, ‘Did you see who had a date on Friday?’”

Mangold will sign a one-day contract to retire as a Jet next week and the team will hold a press conference. The intelligence and humor of Nick Mangold will be back in the Jets’ building for one day.

When he leaves, his absence will be felt again … just like that night in Baltimore.

8 hours ago, varjet said:

If Klecko cannot make the Hall of Fame, I don't know whether Mangold can.  

Great player though.  Call time great draft pick for where he was selected.  

that kind of sums it up. mangold was one of the best centers in the game but still it's the center position.  if the jets had been more successful maybe he'd get the nod. he was the best jet center though.

9 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Great Jet, probably not HOF though.

The Jets have had three great centers in their history....John Schmitt (#52 living in my home town Merrick! Hofstra alumnus and whose Super Bowl ring was lost and 40 years later found here in Honolulu (Waikiki) where I now live)...Joe Fields and Mangold...all anchored strong offensive lines.....

14 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Great Jet. Ring of honor at the minimum. 

w/o a doubt he'll be in the ROH.  I hope he makes the Hall some day but I think he'll likely fall short.(you know, we only like to put in zero time all pros in the Hall:lol:)

Archived