Sam Darnold Reportedly Won't Attend Jets Training Camp with Contract Not Done

jetspenguin

7 minutes ago, Stark said:

Only some JET fans that don't understand Sam will be fine, will probably be signed today. and if not tonight or tomorrow, no big deal. We have a lot of fans that just want to whine about something

We have a FO that can't take a piss without screwing it up.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, freestater said:

We have a FO that can't take a piss without screwing it up.

lol, you need to go drink... a lot... of alcohol. there is nothing to be freaking out about Thursday morning. Our FO is not that bad. 

7 minutes ago, Stark said:

lol, you need to go drink... a lot... of alcohol. there is nothing to be freaking out about Thursday morning. Our FO is not that bad. 

Meh. This team can never just do things smoothly. Always gotta **** around. I'm not freaking out, just tired of the constant incompetence 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think Roquan Smith is the only one that didn't sign yet, but Bears camp started a week early than ours.  AFAIK, he is in full blown hold-out mode.

perhaps just waiting for the slotting of #7 (yesterday) and some of the others above him. Not necessarily a "holdout".  NBD (yet)

The NY Jets drafted the best QB in the NFL draft with the #3 pick this team had more then enough cap space to deal with issues like this why not get it done and get our franchise QB in camp from day 1. 

Mike Maccagnan will always raise questions with every move he makes, based on past precedence.

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

perhaps just waiting for the slotting of #7 (yesterday) and some of the others above him. Not necessarily a "holdout".  NBD (yet)

The reason why I said it was a holdout is that he is already missing camp.  Darnold is not.  The Bears camp reported on the 19th, had  public practice the 21st and were in pads on the 22nd.  He is missing legit practices = holdout.  Darnold could have reported Tuesday, but the team is reporting today and I don't think they do anything until tomorrow.  Teams with new coaches can start early. 

23 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The NY Jets drafted the best QB in the NFL draft with the #3 pick this team had more then enough cap space to deal with issues like this why not get it done and get our franchise QB in camp from day 1. 

Mike Maccagnan will always raise questions with every move he makes, based on past precedence.

this has nothing to do with cap space.  Overreaction.

26 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

You do realize this has absolutely zero to do with cap space right?

Via Chicago Sun-Times:

Two more top-10 draft picks sign, but not Bears LB Roquan Smith — yet

07/25/2018, 10:04pm  By Patrick Finley

Two more top-10 draft picks signed with their teams Wednesday, leaving Bears inside linebacker Roquan Smith one of two remaining first-round draftees yet to sign a contract.

Browns cornerback Denzel Ward and Bills quarterback Josh Allen, who were drafted fourth and seventh, respectively, signed with their teams. Jets quarterback Sam Darnold, who was drafted third, remains unsigned.

While Smith is set to receive a contract set by the collective-bargaining agreement — worth an estimated $18 million — his agents and the Bears have disagreed about smaller details. Typical hangups include the cash flow of a signing bonus or offset language, which dictates how much money a team would owe if it cuts a player and he signs elsewhere.

The Bears return to training camp Thursday and will hold three consecutive padded practices. They will play their first preseason game next Thursday against the Ravens in Canton, Ohio.

Smith didn’t report to camp with his fellow rookies July 16. Veterans arrived three days later.

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Roquan and Sam have same agent. Agent is being a dick and not looking out for his clients. Sam holding out would be devastating to our season. Roquan already is.

Josh Allen has same agent and signed with the Bills already.  I'm not up in arms about this process, just want to get it done.  Wish someone would just report what the hold up is at this point so at least people would know where to project their frustrations lol

3 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Josh Allen has same agent and signed with the Bills already.  I'm not up in arms about this process, just want to get it done.  Wish someone would just report what the hold up is at this point so at least people would know where to project their frustrations lol

11 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Roquan and Sam have same agent. Agent is being a dick and not looking out for his clients. Sam holding out would be devastating to our season. Roquan already is.

The same agents staged the Bosa holdout too.   I wonder if Josh Allen got the offset language the agents wanted or if the team got what it wanted.   Because if the agent won there, we may be in for a prolongued holdout because I am not sure the jets will balk with  offset language stuff (they have not in the past).

1 minute ago, Dinamite said:

The same agents staged the Bosa holdout too.   I wonder if Josh Allen got the offset language the agents wanted or if the team got what it wanted.   Because if the agent won there, we may be in for a prolongued holdout because I am not sure the jets will balk with  offset language stuff (they have not in the past).

Of the last 6 1st rounders to sign, only Mayfield wasn't repped by CAA. 

24 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Hopefully this is a byproduct of Sam killing it in practice and knowing he has so much leverage because of it

Revis did the same thing as a rookie after it was obvious he was a home run draft pick in practice

9 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Hopefully this is a byproduct of Sam killing it in practice and knowing he has so much leverage because of it

Revis did the same thing as a rookie after it was obvious he was a home run draft pick in practice

The agents know there will be pressure from fans/media given what Sam represents.   A few open practices this weekend.   If Sam is not there, the fans will not be happy.

Just now, Dinamite said:

The agents know there will be pressure from fans/media given what Sam represents.   A few open practices this weekend.   If Sam is not there, the fans may not be happy.

The most telling thing is in the practices so far Sam got the most first team reps of the 3 qbs.  Baker Mayfield can’t get any first team reps at all in Cleveland 

I think it’s a good problem to have I guess but Macagnan is so inept

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The most telling thing is in the practices so far Sam got the most first team reps of the 3 qbs.  Baker Mayfield can’t get any first team reps at all in Cleveland 

I think it’s a good problem to have I guess but Macagnan is so inept

They put the sign-up sheet too high for him to reach.  

https://nypost.com/2018/07/26/behind-the-sam-darnold-jets-contract-fight-which-hasnt-gone-away/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

BREAKING NEWS

SPORTS

Behind the Sam Darnold-Jets contract fight, which hasn’t gone away

July 26, 2018 | 4:24pm

MORE ON:

When the Jets showed up for training camp Thursday, there remained one notable absence.

Rookie quarterback Sam Darnold was not with the Jets as he and the team still have not reached a contract agreement. There still is time for him to sign before the Jets take the field for their first practice Friday afternoon, but there remains a chance he could miss the start of training camp.

Darnold, the Jets’ pick at No. 3 overall in April, is one of two draft picks in the NFL who have not signed. The other is Bears linebacker Roquan Smith, the No. 8-overall pick.

It has become rare for rookies to miss time due to contract situations under the current CBA. The money is all slotted and fully guaranteed now, so there is little that can be negotiated. The Jets and Darnold are fighting over language in the contract. Teams like to have offsets in the contract. Players do not. Offsets protect a team if a player is cut then signs with another team. They can deduct a player’s new salary from what they owe him. If the contract does not contain offsets, players can “double dip,” meaning they collect the full amount their old team owes them, as well as what their new team pays them.

When Darnold signs, he will make approximately $30.6 million over four years, with a $20.3 million signing bonus. All first-round picks have a team fifth-year option attached to their contracts.

Besides offsets, teams and rookies also can haggle over how their signing bonus is paid out.

If Darnold misses time, that would hurt him in the competition to be the starter Sept. 10 against the Lions. Darnold is expected to challenge veterans Josh McCown and Teddy Bridgewater for the starting job.

The competition will be the story of Jets training camp, and it was one other players were talking about when they arrived Thursday.

“I think all three of these quarterbacks are phenomenal quarterbacks,” defensive end Leonard Williams said. “I think it’s great for all three of them to be competing with each other. I think it pushes each one of them individually. I would be happy if any one of them were the starter. … I trust any one of those guys.”

The Jets got to watch Darnold in the spring practices, and many of the veterans were impressed with what the 21-year-old from USC could do.

“Sam got a lot better,” center Spencer Long said. “Obviously, he was a wide-eyed rookie when he came in, but that’s how it should be. You should be a little nervous. Obviously, he cares. He wants to succeed. That’s why he came in a little tentative. But he’s continuing to grow. He’s made a lot of progress.”

Wide receiver Jermaine Kearse expects the quarterback competition to be a tight one.

“I think [Darnold] will be competitive,” Kearse said. “I think Teddy will be competitive, and I think Josh will be. All those guys have a competitive mindset. Playing with Josh, I know he’s a competitive guy. My locker’s next to Teddy. Just having a conversation with him, he’s highly motivated. I think it will be a really good run of competition at every position. I think this is going to be a very telling year for us.”

image.gif

I am starting to think that Darnold is not signing today. SOOOOOOO dumb for his agent to have his client, especially Darnold miss time in camp. He misses more than a day and it starts becoming unlikely for him to win the starting job.

Behind the Sam Darnold-Jets contract fight, which hasn’t gone away

July 26, 2018 | 4:24pm

When the Jets showed up for training camp Thursday, there remained one notable absence.

Rookie quarterback Sam Darnold was not with the Jets as he and the team still have not reached a contract agreement. There still is time for him to sign before the Jets take the field for their first practice Friday afternoon, but there remains a chance he could miss the start of training camp.

Darnold, the Jets’ pick at No. 3 overall in April, is one of two draft picks in the NFL who have not signed. The other is Bears linebacker Roquan Smith, the No. 8-overall pick.

It has become rare for rookies to miss time due to contract situations under the current CBA. The money is all slotted and fully guaranteed now, so there is little that can be negotiated. The Jets and Darnold are fighting over language in the contract. Teams like to have offsets in the contract. Players do not. Offsets protect a team if a player is cut then signs with another team. They can deduct a player’s new salary from what they owe him. If the contract does not contain offsets, players can “double dip,” meaning they collect the full amount their old team owes them, as well as what their new team pays them.

When Darnold signs, he will make approximately $30.6 million over four years, with a $20.3 million signing bonus. All first-round picks have a team fifth-year option attached to their contracts.

Besides offsets, teams and rookies also can haggle over how their signing bonus is paid out.

If Darnold misses time, that would hurt him in the competition to be the starter Sept. 10 against the Lions. Darnold is expected to challenge veterans Josh McCown and Teddy Bridgewater for the starting job.

The competition will be the story of Jets training camp, and it was one other players were talking about when they arrived Thursday.

“I think all three of these quarterbacks are phenomenal quarterbacks,” defensive end Leonard Williams said. “I think it’s great for all three of them to be competing with each other. I think it pushes each one of them individually. I would be happy if any one of them were the starter. … I trust any one of those guys.”

The Jets got to watch Darnold in the spring practices, and many of the veterans were impressed with what the 21-year-old from USC could do.

“Sam got a lot better,” center Spencer Long said. “Obviously, he was a wide-eyed rookie when he came in, but that’s how it should be. You should be a little nervous. Obviously, he cares. He wants to succeed. That’s why he came in a little tentative. But he’s continuing to grow. He’s made a lot of progress.”

Wide receiver Jermaine Kearse expects the quarterback competition to be a tight one.

“I think [Darnold] will be competitive,” Kearse said. “I think Teddy will be competitive, and I think Josh will be. All those guys have a competitive mindset. Playing with Josh, I know he’s a competitive guy. My locker’s next to Teddy. Just having a conversation with him, he’s highly motivated. I think it will be a really good run of competition at every position. I think this is going to be a very telling year for us.”

I simply don't understand why offset language is an issue. Since the new CBA in 2011 has any first round pick been cut before the four year mark? It's not going to happen, especially with a high pick, and if we're cutting Darnold before four years Mac will be out of a job anyway. I don't get what the fear is.

The Jets should absolutely sign this contract with no offset language.  There is literally zero chance you cut a QB prospect like Darnold over his first 4 NFL seasons unless he flames out in an absolutely disastrous way.

And if he does flame out like that, any amount he signs for with another team would be minimal - as in vet minimum type number - so the offset language doesn't actually protect you much as a practical matter.  (Note: that is not the case for players at other positions).  They need to cave.

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I am starting to think that Darnold is not signing today. SOOOOOOO dumb for his agent to have his client, especially Darnold miss time in camp. He misses more than a day and it starts becoming unlikely for him to win the starting job.

It reflects poorly on Darnold, frankly. If I were him I'd tell my agent I wanted to be there on the first day of practice no matter what, and to negotiate within those parameters.

Archived