Sam Darnold Reportedly Won't Attend Jets Training Camp with Contract Not Done

jetspenguin

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Sexton works for Darnold.

True but not necessarily applicable here.  Top-tier agents (and Sexton is one of the biggest) probably don't "yes Ms. Daisy" their clients.  They may take a very firm stance on certain issues and on the other side of that discussion is a 21 year old kid and his parents who may simply be trusting their agent and not taking control of the issues.  Again, we don't know.

its so funny to see so many people say it's such a small issue, Mac should just cave and give him what he wants..........but the reality is if it is such a small issue then Sam should drop it and get his ass in camp like all the other rookie QB's did. 

41 minutes ago, nycdan said:

True but not necessarily applicable here.  Top-tier agents (and Sexton is one of the biggest) probably don't "yes Ms. Daisy" their clients.  They may take a very firm stance on certain issues and on the other side of that discussion is a 21 year old kid and his parents who may simply be trusting their agent and not taking control of the issues.  Again, we don't know.

He can yes ms daisy if he wants to or not....at the end of the day he STILL works for Sam, not the other way around. He may be pushy, bossy, arrogant, controlling and he still is an employee of Mr. Samuel Darnold. 

17 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

He can yes ms daisy if he wants to or not....at the end of the day he STILL works for Sam, not the other way around. He may be pushy, bossy, arrogant, controlling and he still is an employee of Mr. Samuel Darnold. 

That is technically true but possibly not relevant.  I don't know how many times I can say it here but WE DON'T KNOW WHAT IS BEING SAID BY WHO.  We can absolutely hold Darnold accountable, and it's possible Sexton is taking the reasonable approach and Darnold is the one being deliberately stubborn.  Since other Sexton clients accepted the language this is really a very plausible scenario.  But it's also possible Sexton is giving Darnold dozens of reasons why he should trust him and stick to his guns.  WE DON'T KNOW.

But by all means, carry on and throw blame around without facts.  We're all frustrated, but WE DON'T KNOW JACK about this situation.

20 minutes ago, nycdan said:

That is technically true but possibly not relevant.  I don't know how many times I can say it here but WE DON'T KNOW WHAT IS BEING SAID BY WHO.  We can absolutely hold Darnold accountable, and it's possible Sexton is taking the reasonable approach and Darnold is the one being deliberately stubborn.  Since other Sexton clients accepted the language this is really a very plausible scenario.  But it's also possible Sexton is giving Darnold dozens of reasons why he should trust him and stick to his guns.  WE DON'T KNOW.

But by all means, carry on and throw blame around without facts.  We're all frustrated, but WE DON'T KNOW JACK about this situation.

no arguments with any of this......but i am a bottom line type of person and the buck stops with Sam

2 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

no arguments with any of this......but i am a bottom line type of person and the buck stops with Sam

Fair enough and I pretty much agree at this point.  Allen (being a Sexton client) signing with offset language really shifts the heat to Sam anyway.  He's not really getting off to a great start.  I hoped he'd be all about football, but apparently offset or voidable terms which are unlikely to ever matter are more important to him right now.

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Fair enough and I pretty much agree at this point.  Allen (being a Sexton client) signing with offset language really shifts the heat to Sam anyway.  He's not really getting off to a great start.  I hoped he'd be all about football, but apparently offset or voidable terms which are unlikely to ever matter are more important to him right now.

What I cant figure out is why a kid who is supposed to have so much self confidence is worried about or thinking about what happens if he flops? None of the other guys were too concerned about being a bust, they bet on themselves.

1 minute ago, jetspenguin said:

What I cant figure out is why a kid who is supposed to have so much self confidence is worried about or thinking about what happens if he flops? None of the other guys were too concerned about being a bust, they bet on themselves.

I mean...F-king Josh Allen accepted it!

17 hours ago, nycdan said:

We don't know for certain if its Sexton or Darnold that is standing firm on this but in any case, it's hard to blame the Jets in this situation.  Either Darnold wants to get into camp, or he wants to miss out on a good chance to grab the starting gig in exchange for a clause that neither of the QBs around him seemed to need and one that he will never get to enjoy.  If he's going to be Revis 2.0 then that sucks but let's not start things off by caving to him.  We saw how that worked out last time.  The troll just got hungrier and hungrier.  

Win us a SB Sam and then you can swing your dick around.  Until then, get to camp, please.

Sorry, I couldn't quite hear you with all the Macc white knighting you were doing.

This is on our GM and GM alone.  He had one god damned job and responsibility, get the golden boy in camp on time....and he's botched it.

Over what?  Offsets ffs?  Worst case planning for a situation he'd never survive to see?

So Jetsy.

Sam Darnold’s Jets holdout is really happening

July 27, 2018 | 12:02pm | Updated 

The Jets took the field for their first practice Friday afternoon without first-round pick Sam Darnold.

The quarterback and the team still have not reached a contract agreement, and without a last-minute deal, Darnold missed the team’s first practice, which began at 1:50 p.m.

The Jets drafted Darnold No. 3 overall in April, and he is expected to compete with Josh McCown and Teddy Bridgewater for the starting quarterback spot. But the more time he misses, the more it hurts his chances of winning the job. If this is just a one-day absence, it is no big deal. But if it stretches on for days, he will fall way behind.

The two sides are at odds over language in the contract. The main issue is offsets. The team wants offsets in the deal. Darnold and his agent do not. Offsets protect a team if a player is cut and then signs with another team. It allows them to deduct the salary the player receives from a new team from what they owe him. Players want to collect full salaries from both teams. 

Darnold and Bears linebacker Roquan Smith are the only remaining unsigned rookies. Both Baker Mayfield and Josh Allen, the other top quarterbacks taken, signed contracts this week that included offsets. 

There is no dispute about what Darnold will be paid because rookie contracts are slotted under the current CBA. Darnold is scheduled to make around $30 million guaranteed over four years with a $20 million signing bonus. The team also holds a fifth-year option for all first-round picks.

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Sorry, I couldn't quite hear you with all the Macc white knighting you were doing.

This is on our GM and GM alone.  He had one god damned job and responsibility, get the golden boy in camp on time....and he's botched it.

Over what?  Offsets ffs?  Worst case planning for a situation he'd never survive to see?

So Jetsy.

Incorrect.

**** Jimmy Sexton

**** Sam Darnold

The reality is, is that he’s holding out over offset language. 

He’s holding out to make sure he gets paid more money on the chance that he sucks so bad that he gets cut.  

Again.....he’s essentially holding out for more money if he ends up sucking. 

**** that.  

We’ll Ball with Bridgewater. 

18 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

**** Jimmy Sexton

**** Sam Darnold

He’s holding out to make sure he gets paid more money on the chance that he sucks so bad that he gets cut.  

**** that.  

THIS

I don't know.  Football contracts are f-ed up and severely favor the team.

It's a guaranteed contract so he should be guaranteed that money.

The fact he's getting paid by another team shouldn't alter that.

Besides, if they cut him early the money he'll be making from someone else will be very minor to the team, but still life changing for Sam.

1 hour ago, jetspenguin said:

280x425.jpg?fit=scale&background=000000

Fat bastard is costing Darnold training camp time.

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

**** Jimmy Sexton

**** Sam Darnold

**** that.  

It's also a way to help future players.  NFL players almost always give in to management.  There's a reason they comparatively get screwed when you look at other sports.

10 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I really can’t wait to get the details of what actually happened. This has all been speculation and I’m dying to know why this could not have been avoided. There was no hint that the agent and player may be difficult? No preliminary talks?

It just doesn’t make sense considering the same agent got Josh Allen to sign so you would think there would be a format in place, even more so than the slotted money and 5th year option.

Something is up or happened and I extremely curious. Maybe they lost their internet connection/ran out of pens at Florham Park and everything is being held up. 

Accept that you'll never know. Nobody will want to foster a poor relationship by talking sh*t about other people in a negotiation. When a negotiation is over, it has to be over. 

Both sides have reasonable but opposing positions.

The Jets do not want to hang their future for 10-20 years on a player who can just bolt at the end of the first contract. It would be stupid af to offer those terms. Macc doesn't have a strong position to force the number down but he can't just roll over, either. It would be irresponsible not to work diligently to secure valuable offsets.

Darnold wants to have freedom at the end of his contract. He knows the Jets desperately want him and feel like they lucked into picking him up in the draft. He has more power in the negotiation than any of the other QBs who already signed. It would be stupid af for him to not negotiate from a position of strength. 

I like this “offset” approach, I’m trying it with my employer.

I told HR, “if you ever decide to move on from me, I’m going to need you to continue paying me...or I’m not coming in on Monday.” They just stared at me. 

#blinkingcontest 

30 minutes ago, adb280z said:

It's also a way to help future players.  NFL players almost always give in to management.  There's a reason they comparatively get screwed when you look at other sports.

Although I get all that I actually still don’t care. I’m a layman fan. So in conclusion **** Darnold. He’s now on my sh*t list until proven otherwise

39 minutes ago, Thinker said:

What I can’t understand, is, Macc has risked a lot for Sam Darnold already!

So he is worth giving up 3 2nd rounders and a first rounder, but he is not worth risking some 10 mil????

go figure 

If you've gone this far to draft this guy, NOW you decide the price is too high? That's really dumb. And if sadly he winds up sucking balls and thr 5th year is an issue, it's gonna some other GM's problem. And the cap goes up every year anyway. If he's a great player you write the  5th year check with a smile on your face anyway. 

THIS FVCKIN' FRANCHISE....

10 minutes ago, Bugg said:

If you've gone this far to draft this guy, NOW you decide the price is too high? That's really dumb. And if sadly he winds up sucking balls and thr 5th year is an issue, it's gonna some other GM's problem. And the cap goes up every year anyway. If he's a great player you write the  5th year check with a smile on your face anyway. 

THIS FVCKIN' FRANCHISE....

You really think Macc gives a crap about a few million? It’s about the principle of it.

Every other QB has offset in their rookie contracts including Sextons other client Josh Allen, so why is Mac expected to roll over for Darnold, because the jets have to pay some sort of ‘tax’ for being the Jets? F that.

Darnold needs to check his ego, get his ass on camp and start being the leader of this team. Macc shouldn’t budge an inch.

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I don't know.  Football contracts are f-ed up and severely favor the team.

It's a guaranteed contract so he should be guaranteed that money.

The fact he's getting paid by another team shouldn't alter that.

Besides, if they cut him early the money he'll be making from someone else will be very minor to the team, but still life changing for Sam.

Did Mo Wilkerson's last contract with the Jets favor the team?  

There is really no blame here.  Not the franchise, nor the player.

don't know why people are surprised...the NFL is strictly business...the franchise watches out for themselves, so must the player.

Few players remain with the franchise that drafts them, as soon as production falls a little, cap space casualty, or a variety of different reasons, bye bye.  Even the fans wave them goodbye then immediately turn to the latest hope for stardom.  

Even the players that stay with one franchise their entire career and were a franchise player, can feel pushed out before they were ready to retire.  See Troy Polamalu, who has declined invitations to Steelers functions.

Archived