Sam Darnold Reportedly Won't Attend Jets Training Camp with Contract Not Done

jetspenguin

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it’s not the offset language.  Maybe it’s the acceleration of bonus money, voidable years, or other terms related to suspensions or conduct.  I have no idea where they could be on this but one thing is for sure, if Darnold isn’t on the field tomorrow then it’s a failure by both Maccagnan and Darnold’s agent.  They’ve had since April to figure this out.

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

It reflects poorly on Darnold, frankly. If I were him I'd tell my agent I wanted to be there on the first day of practice no matter what, and to negotiate within those parameters.

I am starting to get grief from Browns fans now, like they made the right choice since Baker told his agent to accept the language so he did not miss a minute of camp...

1 hour ago, freestater said:

I hate this team so fxxking much

LOL - this year is going to be different :)

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

It reflects poorly on Darnold, frankly. If I were him I'd tell my agent I wanted to be there on the first day of practice no matter what, and to negotiate within those parameters.

Jeez, you have to be kidding.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Good thing we have 70 trillion dollars in cap space next year so we have no issues with cap concerns at all.

@BCJet posted this to a comment I made about cap space and signing Sam Darnold 

You do realize this has absolutely zero to do with cap space right?

It's fun to see people bash the Jets or Darnold without having a clue as to which side is being unreasonable. 

Of course he should be signed by now but it's tough to blame a side until more comes out. We do know that the Jets do not have a recent history of letting these things linger....

My guess is Darnold is saying he should get whatever Mayfield got in(for whatever can be negotiated) because he was the #1 QB on their board, per them.  And in return I'm guessing the Jets are saying no to a certain degree.

I hadn't read anything in this thread, because ultimately I thought it was just a timing thing.  In the end he won't miss much time, if any.  That said , I'm slightly agitated by the situation now.

Such a Jets situation (not the italicized part the bold part): get franchise prospect you weren't supposed to get then play semantics games with his contract. This franchise I swear... I was able to let go last year now I find myself intrigued again and they play games with the only reason I care at his point.

This whole situation and how it's unfolded so far is utterly embarrassing for both sides, to be totally honest.  Darnold should have told his representation to make sure he doesn't miss a nanosecond of camp or else they are O-U-T as his agent(s), and the Jets should have never let the first "business" interaction with the face of their franchise ever turn this sour...especially over something as silly as the language of a, mostly, PRE-DETERMINED contract.  It should never have taken ~3+ months to iron this out, and that is my main source of frustration. 

Unbelievable.

If I’m Darnold, I don’t want the Jets to control that fifth year. I’d want to be in free agency when that new CBA hits and/or I’d want to be able to shoot my way out of town if the Jets continue to be a dumpster fire. I’m sure he’s talked to Mark Sanchez about what life is like in New York when you’re a Jet and things go south. 

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If I’m Darnold, I don’t want the Jets to control that fifth year. I’d want to be in free agency when that new CBA hits and/or I’d want to be able to shoot my way out of town if the Jets continue to be a dumpster fire. I’m sure he’s talked to Mark Sanchez about what life is like in New York when you’re a Jet and things go south. 

There is no wiggle room on that.  Salary and term are set, as is the fifth year being an option year for 1st rounders.  The problem seems to be that because all of that became boiler-plate, the agents were having a hard time selling players on why they needed agents, so they came up with new ways to haggle with teams over nonsense and make themselves look important.  Honestly, a player could probably do their rookie deal without an agent and be no worse off for it.  

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

@BCJet posted this to a comment I made about cap space and signing Sam Darnold 

You do realize this has absolutely zero to do with cap space right?

It is about our idiot GM who can't get a preset contract signed.  CBA did all the work for him and Mikey still can't figure it out.  Just fire this schmuck already.

15 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Hmmm.....seems to be the agent/Darnold and not the Jets?

8CA0B5FD-BC7D-4E0C-AA0F-2C26F6588E72.jpeg

Yeah, between this and what Manish (?) has had to say, it sounds like this is mostly on Jimmy Sexton.  That man is a pain in the ass to deal with.  Still, given our history with the guy, we should have been prepared for this and made it more of a priority to get this done before camp. 

This is the NFL equivalent to writing a 5 page, fully sourced paper, in it's entirety, the night before it's due, and being frustrated/surprised that you have to stay up late in order to possibly get it done and handed in on time.  Embarrassing.

We don't know for certain if its Sexton or Darnold that is standing firm on this but in any case, it's hard to blame the Jets in this situation.  Either Darnold wants to get into camp, or he wants to miss out on a good chance to grab the starting gig in exchange for a clause that neither of the QBs around him seemed to need and one that he will never get to enjoy.  If he's going to be Revis 2.0 then that sucks but let's not start things off by caving to him.  We saw how that worked out last time.  The troll just got hungrier and hungrier.  

Win us a SB Sam and then you can swing your dick around.  Until then, get to camp, please.

I really can’t wait to get the details of what actually happened. This has all been speculation and I’m dying to know why this could not have been avoided. There was no hint that the agent and player may be difficult? No preliminary talks?

It just doesn’t make sense considering the same agent got Josh Allen to sign so you would think there would be a format in place, even more so than the slotted money and 5th year option.

Something is up or happened and I extremely curious. Maybe they lost their internet connection/ran out of pens at Florham Park and everything is being held up. 

2 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I really can’t wait to get the details of what actually happened. This has all been speculation and I’m dying to know why this could not have been avoided. There was no hint that the agent and player may be difficult? No preliminary talks?

It just doesn’t make sense considering the same agent got Josh Allen to sign so you would think there would be a format in place, even more so than the slotted money and 5th year option.

Something is up or happened and I extremely curious. Maybe they lost their internet connection/ran out of pens at Florham Park and everything is being held up. 

So f___ing stupid, so Jets like. Why is he not signed? They're arguing over what amounts to a rounding error. Get the kid here. 

Archived