Sam Darnold is growing up in front of our eyes.

hawk

1 hour ago, Ghost420 said:

The rest of the team is garbage. I'm not saying it was a smart pick but if they land a QB in next draft they have one of the best RBs in the nfl to pair with em. I wouldn't trade Darnold for him.  

Big IF there.  Next year's class doesn't project to be anywhere near as good as 2018's.

You can't punt the QB decision to future seasons.  The Browns made that mistake when they passed on Carson Wentz.  And I say that even though I think Baker Mayfield will be good.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ghost said:

The game is definitely getting slower for him. I’m excited for this guy. I hate to talk off-season at this point but we have to invest in offensive lineman and more weapons either via free agency or the draft. 

Please, no more 1st round picks on DL and DB.  

For real.  Our defense is going to be terrible no matter how many picks we make on D, it seems, so there's no point.  Unless a bonafide stud pass rusher is there, it just makes no sense. 

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Big IF there.  Next year's class doesn't project to be anywhere near as good as 2018's.

You can't punt the QB decision to future seasons.  The Browns made that mistake when they passed on Carson Wentz.  And I say that even though I think Baker Mayfield will be good.

Lol there is no Sam Darnold in next years class... kid is a rare talent...

23 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For real.  Our defense is going to be terrible no matter how many picks we make on D, it seems, so there's no point.  Unless a bonafide stud pass rusher is there, it just makes no sense. 

If we don’t draft at least one stud Olineman I will be very disappointed. 

4 hours ago, Jets723 said:

Absolutely.  Running backs are important but if you don’t have at least a dependable QB you aren’t going anywhere. Let’s be honest Eli was never great. However to his credit he stepped up in game in a couple of playoff games.  Also a couple of lucky catches can help too lol

And he also won 2 super bowls and was MVP in both. Minor details. 

3 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

And he also won 2 super bowls and was MVP in both. Minor details. 

He had two good runs and the Giants teams were built like NE Kryptonite. But outside of that he has been exceptionally mediocre as a QB. Super durable though. Drafting Barkley over Darnold is one of the dumber draft blunders ever from a long range perspective and from an overall value proposition.

9 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

He had two good runs and the Giants teams were built like NE Kryptonite. But outside of that he has been exceptionally mediocre as a QB. Super durable though. Drafting Barkley over Darnold is one of the dumber draft blunders ever from a long range perspective and from an overall value proposition.

I believe in giving credit where credit is due. Calling him exceptionally mediocre is a joke. I think he has been far better than most people on here would like to admit and those 2 super bowl rings don't hurt either since we haven't been able to sniff one in 50 years. 

2 hours ago, Ghost420 said:

The rest of the team is garbage. I'm not saying it was a smart pick but if they land a QB in next draft they have one of the best RBs in the nfl to pair with em. I wouldn't trade Darnold for him. 

...and just as easy as that, your last sentence summed up why the Giants (luckily for us) screwed up the 2nd pick in the draft this year, unless they find a QB next year. No matter how good Barkley turns out to be.

5 hours ago, Jets723 said:

Speaking of mayfield there were a few fans in here gushing about him after he beat a “gassed” jets team. Yet I haven’t been impressed. Sam at least bounced back from that game and even the Jacksonville game

Mayfield stunk today facing a bad Chargers D at home

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Didn't you contradict yourself a bit here?  Saquon is worth picking # 2, but he's a bad pick? 

Teams picking # 2 almost always have huge needs.  And if a good team trades up to # 2, they shouldn't be doing so for a RB either.  So taking ANY RB at # 2 is always a bad choice, even one as special as Saquon. 

Not even a little bit.  The 49ers had an early round pick. They could easily have been picking second, and would've been fine taking Saquon there (because they had their QB).  Saquon at 1 to the Browns (with a QB at 4) could have made sense.  Last year, the Titans picked 5th. They already had Mariota; even if they had the No. 2 pick, a back like Saquon would've been worth it.  If the QBs this year were rated like the QBs in the 2019 draft seem to be, a back like Saquon would've been worth it.

The player is good enough for the slot.  But you can't pass on a Franchise QB for him if you don't already have one, and there were franchise guys there and the NYG didn't have one.

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Had one pass to complain about today (the INT).

Other than that?  He killed it.

Darnold has always done that from college to now he makes a head shaking INT then comes back and plays well which is a very good trait to have (playing well after a dumb mistake) . I'm not sure he will cut down on the Int's until he learns to either run when there's nothing there or dump it off to a safety valve or simply throw it away.

6 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Darnold is a beast. The Giants are going to regret passing on him for a decade.

I think we also have the Browns to thank.  If im the Browns, I take Barkley #1, and take my chances of Baker falling, or taking the consolation prize of Darnold, Rosen or Allen.  

Obviously they were sold on Mayfield.  Which lead to the way ot played out.  Barkley/and anyone of the top 4 Qbs better than Mayfield/Chubb.

If Barkley goes one, then Darnold probably gone 2.  

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

Watching Sam it’s just so obvious that he’s going to be very good. His demeanor and playing instincts are off the charts. You just don’t see 21 year olds throwing with the level anticipation and feel of Darnold. Kid is a natural football player, not just a great athlete.

the td throw to pryor was 3/4 of the way to pryor before he started his break.  just beautiful.

2 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

I know novel idea for some posters who act like the QB position is the only one that matters.   In their mind if the Jets win, Darnold played well, if they lose Darnold played badly. 

I’m with you 100% ..good post

8 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Positives: Sam is more decisive, has cleaned up some mistakes. He has good game awareness as well. Pretty impressive. 

That being said, the colts coverage is truly awful. They do not even have the most basic concept of man coverage. Pretty embarassing. As sam gets more experienced, hopefully we start playing more through him instead of constantly hoping he converts every third down situation after we run the first two downs. 

They played Cover 2 all day.  NOT man to man.

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Didn't you contradict yourself a bit here?  Saquon is worth picking # 2, but he's a bad pick? 

Teams picking # 2 almost always have huge needs.  And if a good team trades up to # 2, they shouldn't be doing so for a RB either.  So taking ANY RB at # 2 is always a bad choice, even one as special as Saquon. 

Precisely

15 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Had one pass to complain about today (the INT).

Other than that?  He killed it.

Bad pass.  What kills me is I saw Mahomes thtow some sh*t last night but everyone kisses his ring. He is throwing to gazelles running free in the secondary.   It isn;t hard when you have talent everywhere you look.   And Brady---that fumble.  He did everything wrong:  held the ball too long, ran with it like a loaf of bread.  If Darnold had done that  folks would have been killing him for his rookie foolishness.  I have said all along I see dumb INTs from all kinds of QBs every week--even really good vets.  Sam has to stop throwing off that back foot.  Has to set quicker and step forward when he throws.  But he hs improved his ball security (fumbles) quickly, so I think this will be a piece of cake

14 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Giants fans will never admit they made a bad decision. They still think Eli is good. 

A lot of them I talk to now seem to think Eli is done even if they did not think that before.  They also think that Barkley is a once in a generation talent and that a QB will be available to them where they are likely to pick next year or, that they can pick up a QB on the free agent market.

Maybe so maybe not.  Barkley is pretty good, but still.

Giants fans will never admit they made a bad decision. They still think Eli is good. 
Eli won two superbowls for them how could they not try to surround him with talent and let him play? It is win win for them anyway if they suck again the rest of this season they draft a qb and already have talent around him

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

Eli won two superbowls for them how could they not try to surround him with talent and let him play? It is win win for them anyway if they suck again the rest of this season they draft a qb and already have talent around him

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

Eli didn't win 2 Super Bowls for them, he helped them win 2.  He never gets close w/o incredible defense doing all the heavy lifting.  Eli has been mostly bad post 2nd SB and that 2nd SB was 7 years ago.  The man has led NYG to missing the playoffs 7 of the last 9 seasons which is about to be 8 of the last 10 and when they last made the playoffs 2 years ago he led his offense(w/ the best weapon in the game to throw to) to just 17 PPG. 

The Giants made a major mistake passing on Sam believing Eli could still play when he hasn't played well in 6-7 years.  The Giants organization in recent years has been acting like the old Jets, allowing fans to dictate decision making.  They didn't buckle to fan pressure when Giant fans wanted Eli gone and Coughlin gone in 2007 and then they won a SB, they didn't buckle under the pressure when Giant fans wanted Eli & Coughlin gone after 2010 and they won in 2011.  They did buckle firing Coughlin after 2015 then firing the GM and HC last year while keeping Eli.  The problem w/ the giants post 2011 has been Eli Manning more than anyone else but after SB #2 Eli became a fan favorite no matter how bad he was and when they had the audacity to bench him for a Jets reject last year the social media mob attacked the giants and they wilted.  It also led them to the decisions they made this offseason.  Barkley is going to be a big time player but he's a RB, they had a chance to get a franchise QB and passed b/c of the social media mob.  I am thankful the giants started acting like the old Jets and I hope they keep it up.

This is really fun to watch, there will still be more bad games but he is progressing and that is most important.  What I love about him most is when he makes a bad decision or throw it doesn't pile up, he throws the pick and it's over.  That is a great quality to have for a young QB.  We just need to add pieces around him in the coming years and we WILL be a SB contender w/in a few years(assuming Bowles finally gets it or we get a good new HC)

As I have posted before, my son was a teammate and one of Sam’s roommates at USC.  I have been following him on ESPN Gamecast (don’t have DirecTV).  It doesn’t surprise me to learn how quickly he is adjusting to the NFL.  You guys got the “steal” of the draft.  Mayfield and Barkley are good, but Sam is a potential superstar.

i enjoy reading your comments and analysis.  Thanks

18 hours ago, HighPitch said:

I was just talking to some drunk g fan at the bar.....hes telling me barkley was worth the pick. I didnt wanna argue

yup.  I've always said Giants fans are uneducated.  the fact that they STILL think it was the right move just proves it.  man what a hot mess they are!!!  

and I couldn't be happier!!

9 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

They played Cover 2 all day.  NOT man to man.

They “tried” mixing in some man coverages. Usually coincided with the broken ass coverages we were seeing yesterday. You can’t play one coverage exclusively as an NFL defense. It doesn’t work that way. Everyone will shred you. 

The colts struggled mightily on how to even pass off receivers or what kind of corner technique to run. Jets were abusing this repeatedly hence the high completion rate. Kudos to Darnold and Bates for sure, but still plenty embarassing for an NFL team. 

Archived