Sam was really bad

VinnyT16

When you can’t run a f*cking lick vs a very good defense, your rookie QB is gonna struggle! When your center can’t f*cking snap the ball correctly & your backup barely NFL worthy skill players drop balls constantly on 3rd down & you can’t get any rhythm your QB is gonna struggle.

By the way, the Jets could use Scherff a helluva lot more right now than Leo the 1 tackle wonder! We need to start drafting IMPORTANT positions. 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

When you can’t run a f*cking lick vs a very good defense, your rookie QB is gonna struggle! When your center can’t f*cking snap the ball correctly & your backup barely NFL worthy skill players drop balls constantly on 3rd down & you can’t get any rhythm your QB is gonna struggle.

By the way, the Jets could use Scherff a helluva lot more right now than Leo the 1 tackle wonder! We need to start drafting IMPORTANT positions. 

I would trade Leo before the trade deadline

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

You do realize Scherff was picked ahead of Williams?

13 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

We have this thing out here...it's called the Santa Ana winds....like today, wind warnings, causing my patio umbrella To fly off and break, have to replace and a mess outside, luckily no one was hurt.  As I post this, the winds are howling.

Add 90 degree winds that go into November sometimes, or winter the winds get cold.

that's why we get so many wildfires.  Sam has played in heavy winds, he just had an off day.

Dashiell Hammett story Red Wind is about this phenomenon. 

Killer story.

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Hopefully they can simulate Southern California weather for the next game at the meadowlands.

I’m saying that it impacted both QBs (and any QBs) greatly. Any incompletion- especially on a deep pass- should be taken with a grain of salt. You don’t “miss” deep throws in conditions like this- you just don’t get lucky. 

7 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I would trade Leo before the trade deadline

Macc will sign him to a f*cking mega contract. Interior defenders don’t change games anymore unless your name is Donald. WASTE OF MONEY! You could find cheaper vet DTs every year. 

Listen, the OP has 40 posts and he is about -10 in reacts. He's obviously just trolling Sam wherever he can. Just ignore it. Here's the thing about Sam that the smart Jets fans here have to realize. When the leagues QB ratings come out this week, Sam's numbers aren't going to be pretty. He might even be at the bottom of the league through 7 games. However, those of us who are paying attention can see what we have here in this kid. Everything I see says Franchise QB, and I haven't felt this way since Chad began his career. Problem is he's a baby, just turned 21 and has only played the position a couple of years. We threw him right into the fire Day 1 this season. It would be insane to expect him not to have games like he did today, especially against a good team when we are shorthanded. I'm not making excuses for him, just saying that after 7 starts, big picture, I'm very happy with him. Like I said earlier, his numbers might not look good, but I have no doubt he's the QB we want on this team. I don't know how to describe "IT" but I can see Sam has "IT".

He played poorly.  He got no help from anyone.  He was hurt by his WRs and Oline. It’s one bad game in a non playoff year.  He needs to learn not to push when everything is falling apart.  I think he will.  I hope the team will get better.

Sam had some really good moments and some really bad moments. For some reason, the ball was sailing on him on a lot of his throws. It started in the first possession when the ball sailed over Robby Anderson’s head on a 3rd down post route —a throw we’ve seen Darnold make plenty of times this season. It had nothing to do with the wind. I don’t know why it kept happening. My guess is he’ll figure it out. But there were also the drops and the throws to nobody that I guess were the result of not being in sync with the receivers. The injuries in the wide receiving corps were a big factor. 

30 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Sam had some really good moments and some really bad moments. For some reason, the ball was sailing on him on a lot of his throws. It started in the first possession when the ball sailed over Robby Anderson’s head on a 3rd down post route —a throw we’ve seen Darnold make plenty of times this season. It had nothing to do with the wind. I don’t know why it kept happening. My guess is he’ll figure it out. But there were also the drops and the throws to nobody that I guess were the result of not being in sync with the receivers. The injuries in the wide receiving corps were a big factor. 

Swap skill players. Give Sam Theilen, Diggs, Rudolph & Murray & give Cousins a banged up Crowell, the rookie Cannon, Anderson, Kearse, and the rookies Burnett, Herndon, Leggett & that loser dope Tomlinson. 

Sam was no worse than the rest of the offense. Not making excuses, but all the dropped passes, the lack of NFL starting quality offensive players, and the inability to pass protect... a 21 year old cannot transcend that. Maybe as he gets older, but it’s too much to ask/expect right now.

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I think complaining about the wind is silly, but hey. Darnold had a bad game, it happens. It's only going to get colder and windier though.

Complaining and pointing things out are not the same. Just like pointing out he is 21 playing in his 7th game with utter crap around him is not complaining.

Sam was not good today -- but as others pointed out -- he was missing two of his top weapons and lost a 3rd in the first half.  And the guys he did have out there dropped at least 4 passes, including one that ended up as a pick.  

He was not at his best, missed some throws, made some bad decisions forcing passes into coverage, but he was in a really tough spot going up against a real good defense without all hes weapons and did not get much help.  

I'm not going to get on the OP. Some of the breathless takes I've already heard on TV/read online today tell me that it's going to be a widely held opinion among the talking heads this week. Of course it's not that simple and there are other factors at play...but no one wants to hear about the details. So, make it simple...Yeah, Sam was bad. He's a rookie. It's gonna happen occasionally.

Not that we need to know what the feeling is like, but tomorrow night we get to watch the Giants. That's what a team without hope looks like. Just go browse through their fan sites. They are killing each other over the Barkley-Darnold debate, and scouring college games and reports trying to decide on the QB they should take next draft. For the first time in memory, probably pre Simms, they are panic stricken over their QB situation. We have to realize how good our future looks, and stop whining about a bad game by a 21 year old kid who we all feel is going to be our guy for a long time. Just let him grow into this job, and enjoy watching as he does. They would kill to be us right now. 

he wasn't good and there will be more games like this, he's a rookie that will be up and down but I don't think he was as bad as the #s suggest.  2 of the 3 INts I do not believe were his fault and he was playing w/ nobodies out there at WR and didn't have much of a ground game.   How many drops did we have?  regardless, I think this was a good game for his development, first game in cold, windy conditions.  Battling through adversity w/ all the injuries around him.  He'll get better, I am fully confident in him.

He wasn’t good. He definitely wasn’t as bad as the stat line shows. He had big drops, which for a WR should be considered the equavilant of what an INT is for a QB. Drive killers. The whole offense was bad, and Bates’ playcalling again was bad. 

I get it, were undermanned and it was as windy as can be...but each time we faced a good D this season, this has been the offensive gameplan...run and throw an endless amount of TE screens.

Is this a product of Bates or Bowels’ defensive-playing-scared mentality?

Archived