What happens if McKown pulls a Fitzmagic

More Cowbell

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would probably lead to Jets fans complaining about Bowles NOT playing the over-the-hill veteran instead of the prized rookie.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. ;-) 

I would also think that it would then bring up the question that if the talent level at WR / TE / RB is not as bad as we thought, why can't our coaching staff put Darnold in more favorable situations via better play calling / play design? Are they trying to fit a square peg into a round hole by making Darnold play to the system rather than fitting the system to Darnold? It'd also depend I guess if the run game shows up at all ... if McCown throws 40-50 times and wins with no run game, that's a very different situation than if he throws 20-25 times and we have 100+ ground yards.

7 minutes ago, jamesr said:

It would probably lead to Jets fans complaining about Bowles NOT playing the over-the-hill veteran instead of the prized rookie.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. ;-) 

I would also think that it would then bring up the question that if the talent level at WR / TE / RB is not as bad as we thought, why can't our coaching staff put Darnold in more favorable situations via better play calling / play design? Are they trying to fit a square peg into a round hole by making Darnold play to the system rather than fitting the system to Darnold? It'd also depend I guess if the run game shows up at all ... if McCown throws 40-50 times and wins with no run game, that's a very different situation than if he throws 20-25 times and we have 100+ ground yards.

This is more or less what I was getting at. It would mean Darnold could have benefited from watching about 5 or 6 games to see how to work with what we have. I think McKown destroying the Bills might be the first time a win actually hurt a HC.  

The jets should have done the same thing the chiefs did with Mahomes. Sit and watch a veteran play. ask alot of questions,and learn. Both QB's had similar question marks coming out of college. Gunslinger"s who turn the ball over too much. Sloppy footwork. Darnold didn't do anything special in the preseason to justify him getting the starting job

They won’t destroy the Bills. Jets are the 3rd worse team in the entire league.

#30- NY Jets, #31- Bills, #32-Cards

Giants would whoop the Jets azzes. You honestly think this Jet D could stop Barkley, OBJ, Shepard & Ingram? 

26 minutes ago, Lith said:

Darnold returns when he is healthy.  I really do not see any scenario where we stick with McCown as long as Sam is healthy.

Agreed.  However, if Sam in 98% I don't think they play him.  They'll wait for him to be 100% which is the smart thing to do.  I also think there will be some value in having him watch a couple games with the headset on.

36 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Seriously, what happens if he lights up the scoreboard like a pinball machine. 

I personally wouldn't mind Darnold sitting for an extended period.

yeah because SAM is the reason the Jets won't win the SB this year.

this is now like last year all over again.  Root for Jets to lose until Sam comes back.  If McCown truly starts, I won't even watch.

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Giants would whoop the Jets azzes. You honestly think this Jet D could stop Barkley, OBJ, Shepard & Ingram? 

yes.  easily.  everyone else has.  what do they have an average of 10 points per game or something?  Please.

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

They wouldn’t have to. The Giants do it for them. 

What will happen is we will win enough games to:

1. Just miss the playoffs

2. Pick in the middle of the round and miss out on a great pass rusher or LT

3. Spare Bowles from getting fired

4. Have QB controversy next year where McCown wants even more money

5. Next Year will suck.

So, if that happens it will be the absolute worse thing for the Jets, so, my guess is that is exactly what will happen.

That being said, although much of the problems can be attributed to a rookie QB, this offense, the OL and the game plan is just terrible. So, if McCown has a bunch of bad games, it will expedite the departure of Bowles. But since that will be good for the team, it won't happen. Get ready for another mediocre year next year :-(

45 minutes ago, genot said:

The jets should have done the same thing the chiefs did with Mahomes. Sit and watch a veteran play. ask alot of questions,and learn. Both QB's had similar question marks coming out of college. Gunslinger"s who turn the ball over too much. Sloppy footwork. Darnold didn't do anything special in the preseason to justify him getting the starting job

Mahomes said recently that if he had started last year, he would not have been able to do last year what he’s doing now. Even still, I’m glad we started Darnold. He’s so young, let him get experience and go through the growing pains and make mistakes now. We aren’t a playoff team anyway.

Mahomes wouldn’t be able to do what he’s doing this year if he was on our team. His head coach is one of the best offensive HC’s, and his offense has some of the best explosive players in the league.

11 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

What will happen is we will win enough games to:

1. Just miss the playoffs

2. Pick in the middle of the round and miss out on a great pass rusher or LT

3. Spare Bowles from getting fired

4. Have QB controversy next year where McCown wants even more money

5. Next Year will suck.

So, if that happens it will be the absolute worse thing for the Jets, so, my guess is that is exactly what will happen.

That being said, although much of the problems can be attributed to a rookie QB, this offense, the OL and the game plan is just terrible. So, if McCown has a bunch of bad games, it will expedite the departure of Bowles. But since that will be good for the team, it won't happen. Get ready for another mediocre year next year :-(

How many is enough? Remember they play the Pats twice

1 hour ago, shuler82 said:

Gotta love Jets fans who’d rather ride to 7-9 with 64 year old Josh McCown over breaking in a potential franchise QB.

winning games with McCown sets this franchise back.. especially if Bowles uses him in an attempt to save his own arse.

This is my fear - that Bowles is so desperate to save his job that he will play McCown for multiple games.  Whether it's the GM or owner, whoever is the final authority is, they cannot let Bowles do that under any circumstances.  

6 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

This is my fear - that Bowles is so desperate to save his job that he will play McCown for multiple games.  Whether it's the GM or owner, whoever is the final authority is, they cannot let Bowles do that under any circumstances.  

Bowles seat isn't hot, it's got FLAMES ? under it. Nothing is better for this organization than the Bills kicking Bowles & McCowns azz Sunday. Every year the Jets get worse as the year progresses because Bowles schemes & his game day coaching are some of the worst in the league. 

31 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

How many is enough? Remember they play the Pats twice

Enough to mess things up. 3 more wins are probably enough to drop us out of the top 10 to the middle of the pack, and MAYBE save Bowles job. We have the Bills twice and remember someone said FitMagic (he beat the Pats once). In addition to the wins, Bowles can claim that the other losses were due to Darnold. That would suck

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

You know it’s going to happen. Time is a flat circle.

We’ll destroy Buffalo.

Have the bye to sneak out an upset win over New England.

Bowles will say Darnold is still healing and start McCown on our way to 6-10.

We suck after a bye.  Since 2012 we are 1-5 after a BYE week.

2 hours ago, shuler82 said:

Gotta love Jets fans who’d rather ride to 7-9 with 64 year old Josh McCown over breaking in a potential franchise QB.

winning games with McCown sets this franchise back.. especially if Bowles uses him in an attempt to save his own arse.

Not this Jet fan

I will not even watch one snap Sunday, not interested

Archived