Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
More Cowbell

What happens if McKown pulls a Fitzmagic

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

It would probably lead to Jets fans complaining about Bowles NOT playing the over-the-hill veteran instead of the prized rookie.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. ;-) 

I would also think that it would then bring up the question that if the talent level at WR / TE / RB is not as bad as we thought, why can't our coaching staff put Darnold in more favorable situations via better play calling / play design? Are they trying to fit a square peg into a round hole by making Darnold play to the system rather than fitting the system to Darnold? It'd also depend I guess if the run game shows up at all ... if McCown throws 40-50 times and wins with no run game, that's a very different situation than if he throws 20-25 times and we have 100+ ground yards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know it’s going to happen. Time is a flat circle.

We’ll destroy Buffalo.

Have the bye to sneak out an upset win over New England.

Bowles will say Darnold is still healing and start McCown on our way to 6-10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jamesr said:

It would probably lead to Jets fans complaining about Bowles NOT playing the over-the-hill veteran instead of the prized rookie.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. ;-) 

I would also think that it would then bring up the question that if the talent level at WR / TE / RB is not as bad as we thought, why can't our coaching staff put Darnold in more favorable situations via better play calling / play design? Are they trying to fit a square peg into a round hole by making Darnold play to the system rather than fitting the system to Darnold? It'd also depend I guess if the run game shows up at all ... if McCown throws 40-50 times and wins with no run game, that's a very different situation than if he throws 20-25 times and we have 100+ ground yards.

This is more or less what I was getting at. It would mean Darnold could have benefited from watching about 5 or 6 games to see how to work with what we have. I think McKown destroying the Bills might be the first time a win actually hurt a HC.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The jets should have done the same thing the chiefs did with Mahomes. Sit and watch a veteran play. ask alot of questions,and learn. Both QB's had similar question marks coming out of college. Gunslinger"s who turn the ball over too much. Sloppy footwork. Darnold didn't do anything special in the preseason to justify him getting the starting job

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They won’t destroy the Bills. Jets are the 3rd worse team in the entire league.

#30- NY Jets, #31- Bills, #32-Cards

Giants would whoop the Jets azzes. You honestly think this Jet D could stop Barkley, OBJ, Shepard & Ingram? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Lith said:

Darnold returns when he is healthy.  I really do not see any scenario where we stick with McCown as long as Sam is healthy.

Agreed.  However, if Sam in 98% I don't think they play him.  They'll wait for him to be 100% which is the smart thing to do.  I also think there will be some value in having him watch a couple games with the headset on.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Seriously, what happens if he lights up the scoreboard like a pinball machine. 

I personally wouldn't mind Darnold sitting for an extended period.

yeah because SAM is the reason the Jets won't win the SB this year.

this is now like last year all over again.  Root for Jets to lose until Sam comes back.  If McCown truly starts, I won't even watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

They won’t destroy the Bills. Jets are the 3rd worse team in the entire league.

#30- NY Jets, #31- Bills, #32-Cards

Giants would whoop the Jets azzes. You honestly think this Jet D could stop Barkley, OBJ, Shepard & Ingram? 

yes.  easily.  everyone else has.  what do they have an average of 10 points per game or something?  Please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Seriously, what happens if he lights up the scoreboard like a pinball machine. 

I personally wouldn't mind Darnold sitting for an extended period.

Against the Bills? Nothing.

Against the Pats? Now you can think

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

They won’t destroy the Bills. Jets are the 3rd worse team in the entire league.

#30- NY Jets, #31- Bills, #32-Cards

Giants would whoop the Jets azzes. You honestly think this Jet D could stop Barkley, OBJ, Shepard & Ingram? 

They wouldn’t have to. The Giants do it for them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What will happen is we will win enough games to:

1. Just miss the playoffs

2. Pick in the middle of the round and miss out on a great pass rusher or LT

3. Spare Bowles from getting fired

4. Have QB controversy next year where McCown wants even more money

5. Next Year will suck.

So, if that happens it will be the absolute worse thing for the Jets, so, my guess is that is exactly what will happen.

That being said, although much of the problems can be attributed to a rookie QB, this offense, the OL and the game plan is just terrible. So, if McCown has a bunch of bad games, it will expedite the departure of Bowles. But since that will be good for the team, it won't happen. Get ready for another mediocre year next year :-(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jetscrazey said:

If McCown plays well then good, let Darnold watch more and save him from getting ruined by this head coach and o-line

The game to watch is the Pats game out of the bye.

This Bills game means nothing except if Bowles gets fired on Monday or gets a stay of execution

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, genot said:

The jets should have done the same thing the chiefs did with Mahomes. Sit and watch a veteran play. ask alot of questions,and learn. Both QB's had similar question marks coming out of college. Gunslinger"s who turn the ball over too much. Sloppy footwork. Darnold didn't do anything special in the preseason to justify him getting the starting job

Mahomes said recently that if he had started last year, he would not have been able to do last year what he’s doing now. Even still, I’m glad we started Darnold. He’s so young, let him get experience and go through the growing pains and make mistakes now. We aren’t a playoff team anyway.

Mahomes wouldn’t be able to do what he’s doing this year if he was on our team. His head coach is one of the best offensive HC’s, and his offense has some of the best explosive players in the league.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

What will happen is we will win enough games to:

1. Just miss the playoffs

2. Pick in the middle of the round and miss out on a great pass rusher or LT

3. Spare Bowles from getting fired

4. Have QB controversy next year where McCown wants even more money

5. Next Year will suck.

So, if that happens it will be the absolute worse thing for the Jets, so, my guess is that is exactly what will happen.

That being said, although much of the problems can be attributed to a rookie QB, this offense, the OL and the game plan is just terrible. So, if McCown has a bunch of bad games, it will expedite the departure of Bowles. But since that will be good for the team, it won't happen. Get ready for another mediocre year next year :-(

How many is enough? Remember they play the Pats twice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shuler82 said:

Gotta love Jets fans who’d rather ride to 7-9 with 64 year old Josh McCown over breaking in a potential franchise QB.

winning games with McCown sets this franchise back.. especially if Bowles uses him in an attempt to save his own arse.

This is my fear - that Bowles is so desperate to save his job that he will play McCown for multiple games.  Whether it's the GM or owner, whoever is the final authority is, they cannot let Bowles do that under any circumstances.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Websites, SEO & Social Media

Mile Social

Get Winning Picks

×