John Harbaugh

KRL

John Harbaugh is my #1 choice because he already has the experience and has proven he can be successful in the NFL.

The biggest reason MacBowles has failed is that neither had any experience to draw from. You learn from experience and BOTH of these guys were learning on the Jets dime. Neither could lean on the other to talk about what worked and didn't work the last time they were running a team. So, the Jets absolutely have to either hire a GM or HC with actual on the job experience. Even better if they can land one who has had success. On the HC front, there is only one guy who meets that criteria, John Harbaugh. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I researched this nugget in my Harbaugh thread just never posted it.

Quite interesting though if you ask me.  I did not expect it.  Harbaugh is in his 11th year.  During is first 10 years, the Ravens were in the top 10 scoring offense 4 times.  2 other finishes in the top 12.  And I'd say that was never with great offensive weapons.

I think there is a difference between a bad offense and an exciting one.  I'm not sure his offense was ever exciting, but statistically they were often much better than people realize.

6 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

You live in Tennessee. What do you think about Matt LaFleur? I’ve been asking opinions on him from a few around here on him. I’m starting to warm up to the idea. I know @JiF likes him as a candidate. Does he have a comfortable amount of experience as OC? That’s my one and only turn off with a guy like John DeFilippo.

He's on my list with Eric Beiniemy and DeFilippo.

I hate the idea of John Harbaugh. HATE IT!

2 hours ago, JiF said:

He's on my list with Eric Beiniemy and DeFilippo.

I hate the idea of John Harbaugh. HATE IT!

I kind of do too, but he'd give credibility to this sh*tball franchise similiar to Parcells. Would be hard to say no tbh

I know we all want the younger offensive guy, but what are the chances that actually works out for this organization?

8 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

I’ve never been a huge fan but I personally want an experienced head coach, after three consecutive HC’s with no experience. No one else available will have his resume. I’d be OK with hiring him, assuming there’s no surprise candidates that shake loose. 

Agreed... all the NO WAY responses really?  He has won a SB with Flacco.  he has experience, will be level headed, went through the drama of a player beating his GF and benched him etc. 

Id take him in lieu of another first year coach.   

I like the idea of Harbough, but if we are going to suggest it, then that thought needs to come with an OC recommendation, which is much harder to do.

The first thing that John H. would need to explain in an interview is why he has stuck with Marty M as OC given that his version of the west coast offense doenst fit Flacco's skillset whatsoever.  After that, Im not sure who he would bring in as you need a younger OC but good, young OCs dont make lateral moves (LaFleur is an exception) so you have to poach a QB coach.

What also makes this difficult is that we have no idea who is in harbough's circle as far as guys they are familiar with.

One name that would be interesting from college is Matt Canada if he isnt brought back as the HC at Maryland.  He was a good coordinator in college for Pitt then had a falling out with Ed Ogeron after being a huge hire by LSU. He then wound up as the interim HC all season but is known as a pretty good offensive mind.

I do think Harbough would be able to bring in a good defensive coordinator - maybe even Mike Pettine if GB cleans house.

35 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

My main concern is  if he would even want to take the Jets job. Our only positive would be if a coach feels Sam is a FQB. I would be fine Harbaugh. Looks like Mac will be picking his own head coach.

The question is would anyone want to work with McCagnan?

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

Pretty dumb. Harbaugh is a proven commodity. The alternative is another coordinator. That seems to really work out well for us.

I remember hearing people say the same thing about Jeff Fischer signing with the Rams. The dude was a proven commodity. Took a team to within inches of a SB win. How'd that work out for the Rams?  

10 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Gregg Williams at DC if he is not retained by the Browns

I don’t know if Williams has any sort of relationship with Harbaugh. 

Jackson, Pagano and Rosburg have all been with Harbaugh in Baltimore at some point.

Though I certainly wouldn’t complain about Williams as DC.

13 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t know if Williams has any sort of relationship with Harbaugh. 

Jackson, Pagano and Rosburg have all been with Harbaugh in Baltimore at some point.

Though I certainly wouldn’t complain about Williams as DC.

Woody definitely has the $'s to pay for the bounties.?

1 hour ago, CTM said:

I kind of do too, but he'd give credibility to this sh*tball franchise similiar to Parcells. Would be hard to say no tbh

I know we all want the younger offensive guy, but what are the chances that actually works out for this organization?

Same as the chances of John Harbaugh working out?  He's 44/45 since the Super Bowl which was led by a team of HOF'ers that he had nothing to do with developing or drafting. 

I want the guy who can develop Sam Darnold and if you bring in John Harbaugh, get ready for Marty Morningwheg or Cam Cameron or Jim Caldwell or Marc Trestman.  

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

You want another untested first year guy?   I hear you but I’m a bit scarred the last 45 years...

Technically, Todd Bowles has been a Head Coach before, albeit an interim.

I know everyone loves the idea of experience but history is very unkind to retreads; Don Shula, Dick Vermiel, Bill Parcells, Mike Holmgren, Dan Reeves, John Fox.  That's your list of coaches who have taken 2 different teams to the Super Bowl.

John Fox anyone? lol  I didnt think so.

So yes, I would prefer to go the 1st time route again because history shows, that is the better strategy.

I'm all in on Harbaugh.  He's a respected head coach who has had HC success in the league.  When was the last time the Jets were able to land someone like that?  Harbaugh would bring instant credibility to the team and might even attract free agents to sign here.  I'm going to vomit if we end up with another "flavor of the month" hotshot  coordinator with no HC experience or an unproven college HC.  

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

does being a player or assistant coach count?  i can't think of any head coaches who have won as head coaches with two different organizations.   weeb come close because he won an nfl championship before sb III.  vermeil was in the sb as hc of the eagles before winning with the rams.

Parcells won with Giants, took Patriots to a Super Bowl and Jets to AFC Championship.

Holmgren won with Packers, took Seahawks to Super Bowl.

Shula took Colts to Super Bowl and won with the Dolphins. 

As you said, Vermeil.

Dungy won with Colts, took Bucs to NFC Championship.

John Fox lost 2 Super Bowls with Panthers and Broncos.

Coughlin won with Giants, took Jags to AFC Championship.

After that I can’t really think of any. But it can most certainly be done. A lot of those losses were close and could have easily given those coaches 2 Super Bowls with 2 teams.

12 hours ago, KRL said:

If the rumors are true that Harbaugh will be leaving BAL:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ravens-john-harbaugh-headed-to-a-mutual-parting-of-ways-in-season-firing-not-discussed/

He would be the perfect solution for replacing both Maccagnan & Bowles.
After 11 years as HC you would think he would want to run the whole show
like Reid does in KC.  Harbaugh would come in as HC and bring in the GM
he wants to run the personnel side.  My biggest concern with Harbaugh would
be who he would bring in as OC and QB coach

It would be great if the Jets could get him. Any OC would be better than BAtes. In fact, I think Brian Schottenheimer would be better than Bates.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I remember hearing people say the same thing about Jeff Fischer signing with the Rams. The dude was a proven commodity. Took a team to within inches of a SB win. How'd that work out for the Rams?  

Proven how?  Fisher sucked in Tennessee once McNair got old and injured

I feel like eventually a coach wears out his welcome in a city, and just needs a fresh start.  I think this is one of those instances.  Much like Andy Reid.

Obviously we don't know every available candidate, but If the list was final as of today, I would absolutely be ok with this being a possible replacement.

13 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I wanted him at first and then I started to think about his offenses...and his offensive coordinators..like Marty Morningwood or whatever his name was. 

Was the fault on Flacco? My hardcore Ravens fan friend says so but...idk.

he is just another stodgy HC.  He still thinks defense can do it for you in this league. Flacco has never been my cup of tea.  I want a fresh approach myself.

21 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I would be on board for John harbaugh if he gets on his knees and begs rex to be the defensive coordinator (even if unsuccessful) say what you want about rex but I personally would love to see what he could do with this defense.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

I doubt Rex would accept but worth a shot

I’d take Harbaugh and Rex as DC over the current dumpster fire in a heartbeat 

7 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Joe Flacco was a FA who went on a crazy playoff run to get them a SB win.   What else were they going to do?

Realistically and bravely  look at the player and say, hey this guy got us a super bowl but he is not that good thus we are not going to pay him $20 a year and kill our cap.

You judge a coach by how his teams respond to the BIG GAMES. Harbaugh has the pelts fellas. Ravens vs Steelers are smashmouth bloodbaths. His Ravens team ousted the Brady/Belichick led Patriots twice & would have been 3 times if his kicker didn't shank a chip shot! 

You would FINALLY see a quality special teams unit. And maybe a punt returner? Put him down as a stodgy coach all you want but he opened it up in the Super Bowl when he had to. Harbaugh has what Todd Bowles has never had, a feel for how the game is going & adjusting accordingly. Sure, we might have a drag it out slugfest run the ball. But I can tell you this, he's not punting from the 50 yard line down 3 scores with 6 minutes left. Or taking a knee with 45 seconds on the clock & the ball at his own 40. Some coaches are checkers players (Bowles, Jackson, ect.) some are Chess players (Belichick), Harbaugh is a Chess player & Darnold and this Jets team need a coach that plays NFL Chess.

Archived