Today's the day.. Mike McCarthy

SheaRay

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I don't think it will even take one first to be honest. Harbaugh will be able to decide where he wants to go which lowers the price since he doesn't have to resign with the team that trades for him. If he decides he doesn't want to coach the Raven past next season then they will take whatever they can get.

Thats not how it works. The Ravens have the leverage. They can just keep him and force him to stay another season. If a team wants him it will start with a first. The Pats gave the Jets a 1st round pick so they could hire BB back in 2000 and BB has a terrible Head Coaching resume prior to that.

Gruden was traded by Oakland to TB for a 1st and 2nd round pick with only 1 year left on his deal.

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I guess that is where I am having trouble with your logic here.

A proven veteran winner with a ring won't be able to deal with Macc and the Org, but a guy who till now has at most dealt with the AD of a fourth tier NCAA school maybe will?  Because they're more passive and thus will....what, let Macc dominate them?  We want Macc to dominate now?

Our best chance against Macc (who 100% should have been fired) is a Head Coach who can and will dominate Macc.  Macc must take a secondary role because frankly he is a bad GM whose only claim to fame were amazingly obvious "picks" where he basically took the consensus (Willims, Adams) or spent a mountain to luck into a guy (Darnold) after others passed on him and took the other QB he might have taken.  Most of his picks beyond round 1 are flat out failures or role filling replaceable JAG's. 

I simply do not see one of these limited-resume kid college coaches coming in and taking ownership and being in change of this undisciplined rabble of a team and organization.  On the contrary, I see most of these smaller-school college Coaches as being entirely unqualified to even BE NFL HEad Coaches yet, much less to try and manage/rebuild one of the worst franchises (with the worst organization) of the past decade+.

Sadly, we're at the same crossroads we were before Parcells.  A poorly run joke franchise bereft of talent outside a one key (QB) and one non-impact (S) positions.  We need a winner, with a real resume of success at the Pro level, with an offensive focus, and a resume that makes you think he can make Darnold be what we need him to be at the Pro level.  

Taking yet another chance on yet another first time, rookie Head Coach, this time one with no pro level experience......seems like asking for disaster.  

I definitely agree and if Mac wasn't here I'd like McCarthy much more. Idk how Mac convinced the Johnsons not to can him he should have been gone the same day as Bowles 

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

Coaching the best qb in the league who somehow slid the #24 and sat behind arguably the greatest qb of all time? Then gets fired for underproducing and  running a stagnant offense with the best qb in the league and a team far more talented than the Jets? Seems like a good fit 

Well this isnt even true.

The last 3 years he had Rodgers for the full season the Packers were ranked 3rd, 6th & 8th.  They were 26th McCarthys last full season as HC, how many games did Rodgers play?  And this season while McCarthy was still there, how much was Rodgers limited by the knee and by missing some offensive players.  LIke a RB

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Sadly, we're at the same crossroads we were before Parcells.  A poorly run joke franchise bereft of talent outside a one key (QB) and one non-impact (S) positions.  We need a winner, with a real resume of success at the Pro level, with an offensive focus, and a resume that makes you think he can make Darnold be what we need him to be at the Pro level.  

Taking yet another chance on yet another first time, rookie Head Coach, this time one with no pro level experience......seems like asking for disaster.  

This is the primary reason why I think you're right on McCarthy.  We probably need a known name here to provide stability and turn things around.  But I sure hope he's open minded enough to build a staff of innovators vs. bringing in retreads like Philbin... 

More

Benjamin Allbright Retweeted Jon Frank

I think the Jets are about to snap him up

Benjamin Allbright added,

Jon Frank @Franko097
@AllbrightNFL still think McCarthy ends up in Cleveland (w/Kitchens on staff)?
37 replies29 retweets75 likes

Retweeted

35 minutes ago, MS jets Fan said:

Lets just face the facts that this organization does not have a great track record making key decisions. With that said the Donald pick was a solid hit for us.  So yes who ever it is the guy is the guy. My real flyer thought would be giving our ST coach a serious look.  The ST have been improving year over year and that should say a lot about the respect the players have for this guy to give maximum effort.  Just a thought.

Who is Donald?

9 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Just been looking at McCarthy's record again. 8 straight playoff appearances from 2009 - 2016 including a Superbowl win. Yeah...I'll take some of that.

Exactly. If he can do it with Rodgers, he can do it with Darnold. 

Probably the best fit when all is said and done.  He doesn't seem particularly stubborn in the interviews I've seen so I could see him reevaluating and tweaking how he does things given the way he was fired.

Could mean a younger OC (or Monken) that introduces him to concepts he hasn't been using.

Not sure I want Pettine back though and I doubt the Johnsons want him back either.  He talked a lot of trash on his way out.

To get a guy who has actually coached in this league with SOME level of success would be an absolute ******* coup for the Jets...I mean, this can't be real life, can it?  You mean we aren't hiring Todd Kingstone the up and coming 35 year old Special Teams Coordinator from UNH!?!?!? I heard great things!!!! Guy is an offensive GENIUS!

I guess that is where I am having trouble with your logic here.
A proven veteran winner with a ring won't be able to deal with Macc and the Org, but a guy who till now has at most dealt with the AD of a fourth tier NCAA school maybe will?  Because they're more passive and thus will....what, let Macc dominate them?  We want Macc to dominate now?
Our best chance against Macc (who 100% should have been fired) is a Head Coach who can and will dominate Macc.  Macc must take a secondary role because frankly he is a bad GM whose only claim to fame were amazingly obvious "picks" where he basically took the consensus (Willims, Adams) or spent a mountain to luck into a guy (Darnold) after others passed on him and took the other QB he might have taken.  Most of his picks beyond round 1 are flat out failures or role filling replaceable JAG's. 
I simply do not see one of these limited-resume kid college coaches coming in and taking ownership and being in change of this undisciplined rabble of a team and organization.  On the contrary, I see most of these smaller-school college Coaches as being entirely unqualified to even BE NFL HEad Coaches yet, much less to try and manage/rebuild one of the worst franchises (with the worst organization) of the past decade+.

Good post.

Whets most exciting is McCarthy checks every one of the boxes we need.
He’s won, he’s developed a great, worked with two great QB’s, focuses on offense and been consistent over a long period of time.

The only knock on him is he ONLY won 1 supeebowl and been to 4 NFC Championships with a very good QB.

With lucking into Darnold and now this guy happens to be free. Things are finally falling our way That’s back to back hugely lucky things happening.
Get it done.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived