SheaRay

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Mike McCarthy 'warmed' to idea of coaching Jets

Interest is definitely mutual between Jets and former Packers coach

By Ralph Vacchiano | 3:12PM

Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy reacts after a 29-27 loss to the Los Angeles Rams at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. (Jake Roth/USA TODAY Sports) Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy reacts after a 29-27 loss to the Los Angeles Rams at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. (Jake Roth/USA TODAY Sports)

RalphPic_93z5jd5l.pngRalph Vacchiano | Facebook | Twitter | Archive

The Jets have been very interested in former Packers coach Mike McCarthy since the day he was fired by the Green Bay Packers. The one thing they didn't know, though, was how interested he was in them. 

Now it seems the interest is definitely mutual.

McCarthy has "warmed" to the idea of coaching the Jets, according to someone familiar with his thinking, and headed into his formal interview with team brass on Saturday with a serious interest in the job. For weeks, people who knew McCarthy thought he'd be more interested in the Arizona or Cleveland jobs, or would decide to sit out all of 2019 instead.

But apparently his thinking has changed. That doesn't mean he's guaranteed to take the Jets job, if offered. And an offer wouldn't likely come this weekend anyway, with the Jets' search expected to continue into next week.

It just means the 55-year-old McCarthy hasn't ruled it out, as some expected he might. Some around the NFL thought he might shy away from the New York spotlight after he at times appeared over-sensitive dealing with the media in small-market Green Bay. Others thought he'd consider the situations and the talent level in Arizona and Cleveland just better.

McCarthy will still interview for the Browns job next week after having to reschedule, but he reportedly turned down a request to interview with the Cardinals.

McCarthy still does appear to be the favorite in the Jets' search, based on his experience and stellar track record with the Packers, and his success with quarterback Aaron Rodgers which bodes well for how he might help develop Jets quarterback Sam Darnold. The Jets have already interviewed Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy and former Miami Dolphins coach Adam Gase, and are scheduled to interview Cowboys defensive backs coach Kris Richard in Dallas on Sunday.

The Jets also requested permission to interview Buccaneers offensive coordinator Todd Monken, and have expressed an interest in interviewing former Colts and Lions coach Jim Caldwell. They requested permission to interview USC offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury and Iowa State head coach Matt Campbell, but Campbell said no and USC has reportedly blocked Kingsbury from interviewing with NFL teams.

Deep down he just wants to be near RUTTS hot dog stand. 

21 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Still have an interview with Monken scheduled he's a really intriguing option. That Bucs offense was firing on all cylinders this year

But they also threw the ball to their opponents a lot.  Darnold already learned that. 

If the mutual interest is there, then sign this guy today and get this thing going. I’m sure the wife and family are with him and the jets are showing off the best parts of North Jersey. Get them a property near a lake to make it feel like Green Bay to satisfy the wife. Give him 50 mil for 5 years and show the fans and the rest of the league we’re in business.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

8 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

But they also threw the ball to their opponents a lot.  Darnold already learned that. 

You can't ask Monken to make Fitz and Winston be more accurate and make better decisions. I'm more impressed with the fact that the Bucs offense was a highly ranked offense with sub par qb play and a crap running game. It'd be pretty cool to see what he could do with Sam 

This whole scenario is going interesting. He dined with the Jets last night and is interviewing with them today. We have not received the announcement from the jets that the interview has concluded like they did for the last two. Hopefully, they are hammering out the details and finalizing the agreement over another dinner. I’m sure he met Darnold and a few other guys. They should also play some joe beningo audio cause he’s been saying for weeks to hire this guy.

1 minute ago, JetsYanks13 said:

This whole scenario is going interesting. He dined with the Jets last night and is interviewing with them today. We have not received the announcement from the jets that the interview has concluded like they did for the last two. Hopefully, they are hammering out the details and finalizing the agreement over another dinner. I’m sure he met Darnold and a few other guys. They should also play some joe beningo audio cause he’s been saying for weeks to hire this guy.

There are tweets that the whole interview process is complete about an hour ago 

15 minutes ago, SR24 said:

You can't ask Monken to make Fitz and Winston be more accurate and make better decisions. I'm more impressed with the fact that the Bucs offense was a highly ranked offense with sub par qb play and a crap running game. It'd be pretty cool to see what he could do with Sam 

I like Monken.  He looks like a gas station attendant.

54 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

What’s more concerning is that NONE of them have won Super Bowls with two different teams.   Is McCarthy really the one to make history with the Jets?  

Dude. This is the place for that. Weeb did it here. Not only does McCarthy win a SB here...he does it beating the pack.

Boom. Put that in yer pipe and smoke it!?

riiight as if an NFLC coach who has won the Sb gives a falyinf fiddlers fart what Joe benigno thinks. do you guys actually listen to yoursleves?

omfg

I said it as a joke. Of course he doesn’t care what beningo says. But the jets should of listened to him because he’s been screaming for years for Bowles to be fired. Beningo was right about that one.

35 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Good point.

27 minutes ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

so we still are gona interview richard, monken, and rule? I know we are scheduled to interview richard tomorrow. anyone know when we are to interview the other two? I would like to have a head coach by Monday morning

no need to reply to this manish tweeted we are meeting with monken on Tuesday. damn another week of this will suck

16 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

He wants the job, but hes playing coy. Smart. 

Connect the dots. 

Jets released the interview schedule for next HC candidates BEFORE tweeting McCarthy had completed the interview

We get an article (probably from McCarthys agent) that he has "warmed" to coaching the Jets. That is FAR from "wants" to coach the Jets or even "very interested"

McCarthy still interviewing with Browns which is the very logical place for him.

The whole interview process was to apply some leverage to Browns.

Strange things happen, but I think McCarthy is out as a candidate.

Should be interesting to hear the backstory behind this interview. Will be interesting to see which party did not want to deal today. Is there a holdup because of money? Does McCarthy want to meet with the Browns? Did the Jets get cold feet or want to meet all candidates? The story will be worth reading.

1 minute ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Should be interesting to hear the backstory behind this interview. Will be interesting to see which party did not want to deal today. Is there a holdup because of money? Does McCarthy want to meet with the Browns? Did the Jets get cold feet or want to meet all candidates? The story will be worth reading.

Both sides may just be doing their due diligence and checking other options in the market.  Both may have good cause to wait and see what their other options may be.  While for those who want McCarthy it's disappointing, I wouldn't say it's a definite "no" just yet.

Honestly, it's good that the Jets are checking out more than one option.  

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Both sides may just be doing their due diligence and checking other options in the market.  Both may have good cause to wait and see what their other options may be.  While for those who want McCarthy it's disappointing, I wouldn't say it's a definite "no" just yet.

Honestly, it's good that the Jets are checking out more than one option.  

Even if they're on the verge of a deal, it 's for a lot of money, multiple years and won't get done in one day on the basis of a three hour interview.  If things went well ,we'll know in a few days. If not, we'll know in a few days. I don't think we should read anything into it.  This isn't a first time hire who needs to jump at the opportunity and will accept a "starter's kit" agreement.

41 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

I said it as a joke. Of course he doesn’t care what beningo says. But the jets should of listened to him because he’s been screaming for years for Bowles to be fired. Beningo was right about that one.

Beningo whines about everything. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

12 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I hope McCarthy signs with the Browns today. I have never been more set against a prospective HC.

What are your main reasons for disliking McCarthy?  BTW, love the pic of your Aussie.

Archived