Way too early KIPER MOCK 1.0

prime21

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So here’s the thing Ive been thinking about: Gregg Williams is our DC this year, but the 43 is something we have to commit to no matter what if we are going to make personell changes because there is no guarantee he won’t leave for a HC job after the season, or bounce after two years because that seems to be the trend. 

11 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

We need several B+ players instead of one A. We can trade down at least once and still come away with a B+ player, and the opportunity to get some value in later rounds. This is a great year to have the 3rd pick in the draft and NOT need a QB.

Null and void,Mac makes the picks.

13 hours ago, Jets1958 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-mock-draft-jaguars-dolphins-trade-into-top-five-broncos-snag-qb-at-end-of-round-1/

Jets trade down with Jacksonville in this mock and get a second reounder.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars (NYJ mock trade)

Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio State. If the Jaguars want to ensure they get their preferred quarterback, this is at least as far as they need to move. Each of the next three teams probably think they're set at quarterback for 2019, but if Haskins blows the doors off the predraft process, who knows? Unless every quarterback falls flat over the next few months, expect some jockeying at the top of the draft to grab the No. 1 option. With this trade, the Jets help offset the cost it took to move up for Sam Darnold last year.

7. New York Jets (JAC mock trade)

Clelin Ferrell, EDGE, Clemson.  The Jets would do well to sit at No. 3 and take Allen, but if a QB-needy team bowls them over with a trade offer, why not recoup some of the draft capital they spent trading up for Sam Darnold last year? Ferrell has 36.5 tackles for loss and 21 sacks over his last two seasons, but he's also an excellent run defender and would give New York a three-down talent on the edge.

PLEASE let this happen. 

16 hours ago, Bugg said:

Won't pretend I have any great insight, but there is no such thing under the NFL PI rules as a "lockdown corner". Doesn't exist. The corner you get in the 3rd or 4th isn't that much of a step down. 

Are you kidding? Look at the stats of the top CBs over the last 5 seasons. There’s definitely shutdown corners and you think drafting a guy like Long in the later rounds is as good as getting a guy like Greedy, Murphy or Baker. 

17 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

The pity is that the Jets need a corner as well (could use an upgrade everywhere really) but it’s a tough pill to swallow because the Jets suck so bad at drafting corners after Revis. 

The Jets suck so bad at drafting after Revis.  Corner or otherwise.

(Sam excluded, of course ;-)).

Sirius NFL said this morning that they thought the LAR were the weakest playoff team remaining, and they have Aaron Donald.  

Brian Winters neutralized Suh.  

Taking IDL that high seldom makes that much of difference.

Jonah Williams will be fine in the NFL as a T

trade down and take Williams or Ferrell. Get a second    

34 minutes ago, varjet said:

the 3 pick shouldn't just be fine he should be a dominator. 

if they trade down and get him great but they can't reach for a red chip guy at a blue chip spot 

46 minutes ago, varjet said:

Sirius NFL said this morning that they thought the LAR were the weakest playoff team remaining, and they have Aaron Donald.  

Brian Winters neutralized Suh.  

trade down and take Williams or Ferrell. Get a second    

everyone seems so sold that JW is the best OL in the draft.  I wouldn't be surprised by draft day if there is at least one other guy who analysts think is better.  

i do not think the jets take a DL in the first round.  maybe they take bosa if he falls to 3.  i can see mccagnan wanting to trade back 3-5 spots and take an OL, then use day 2 picks to address DL and offensive skill positions.

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

everyone seems so sold that JW is the best OL in the draft.  I wouldn't be surprised by draft day if there is at least one other guy who analysts think is better.  .

This.

Greg Little, and Cody Ford both have the size you want for LT.

Just now, Greenseed4 said:

This.

Greg Little, and Cody Ford both have the size you want for LT.

they're being mocked high.  i believe the jets will be taking one of these guys when all is said and done, whether they stay at 3 or move back.  

unless there is a special defensive talent at 3 they should be taking OL.  with the money and draft picks that teams spend on franchise qbs you'd think they'd invest more in guys to block them.  for every team that drafts a guy like bosa there's another team that needs an OL who can block him so their qb isn't on the turf.  

5 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Are you kidding? Look at the stats of the top CBs over the last 5 seasons. There’s definitely shutdown corners and you think drafting a guy like Long in the later rounds is as good as getting a guy like Greedy, Murphy or Baker. 

Jusitn Miller, Dee Milliner, Kyle Wilson....okay. 

21 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

The reason I would support an edge rusher at 3 is because a decent pass rush will make the existing CBs on our roster better in and of itself;  otherwise it’s OL or stud WR please. 

An true pass rusher is a need, and a premium position.

I'd rather go O, but if the best player at #3 is the pass rusher, go get him.   A Von Miller, Khalil Mack type player is super valuable

57 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

And? That has nothing to do with your statement there’s no such thing as a shutdown corner now and you should take corners in the 3rd and 4th round. 

We are talking past one another, 2 different conversations. My point is, under the rules as enforced(unless your home stadium is in Foxboro, MA but I digress) corners aren't all that big a deal. If you can  get to the QB in 2.5-2.8 seconds, you can either knock him down or  hurry him into a bad decision; that's as good as passing defense gets.After that time,  the play is going to break down and there is a great possibility the offense is going to have a positive play. May be some DBs are better at coverage than others, but the harsh reality is that under the PI rules, it's a really marginal difference between a  guy you take in round 1 and a guy you take later. That is not the case with OL, especially LTs, edge and QB. There is a drop of the table in talent and production at those slots after the first round. And frankly I have seen this franchise draft DBs in the 1st over and over and over and spare Revis they've been pretty marginal, and msot have sucked. And while the Jets came close, this franchise hasn't really won with that approach Adams is a nice player but taking him with that slot was f___ing nuts. And half think a whole lot of Jets fans think it would be cool to have a player named "Greedy" instead of anything substantive. 

5 minutes ago, Bugg said:

We are talking past one another, 2 different conversations. My point is, under the rules as enforced(unless your home stadium is in Foxboro, MA but I digress) corners aren't all that big a deal. If you can  get to the QB in 2.5-2.8 seconds, you can either knock him down or  hurry him into a bad decision; that's as good as passing defense gets.After that time,  the play is going to break down and there is a great possibility the offense is going to have a positive play. May be some DBs are better at coverage than others, but the harsh reality is that under the PI rules, it's a really marginal difference between a  guy you take in round 1 and a guy you take later. That is not the case with OL, especially LTs, edge and QB. There is a drop of the table in talent and production at those slots after the first round. And frankly I have seen this franchise draft DBs in the 1st over and over and over and spare Revis they've been pretty marginal, and msot have sucked. And while the Jets came close, this franchise hasn't really won with that approach Adams is a nice player but taking him with that slot was f___ing nuts. And half think a whole lot of Jets fans think it would be cool to have a player named "Greedy" instead of anything substantive. 

completely agree on the relative lack of value on cbs now.  rules definitely have changed the value of certain positions.  rbs were on the decline but now with rbs such a huge part of the passing game, good rbs who catch are in demand again.  OG was considered easy to fill for a while but with the money and trouble it is to get a good qb, you need to pay interior OL now.  as for cbs, just get a bunch of good athletes and teach them not to grab too much.

This pick makes sense. Simply b/c its the best player on the board once Bosa goes #1 overall and the best Edge Rusher in Allen is gopne at #2.

However, I think there is potential for 1. The Jets to trade back and 2. Another team moving up for a QB ahead of the Jets and letting either Allen or Bosa fall to the Jets. 3. Q.Williams (who is an absolute beast and top defensive talent despite being an interior D-lineman) going #1 or #2. 

Everyone says Bosa is an absolute lock to go #1 overall. I am not so sure about that. 

On 1/17/2019 at 10:43 AM, bitonti said:

For those writing off the pick he's one of the most dominant interior lineman in Bama history and they send like 3 of these guys to the league every year.

They could do worse

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

This.  We are not a good team.  I will gladly take elite talent over a need position.

On 1/17/2019 at 12:03 PM, Untouchable said:

Yeah, when Parcells’ goofy ass passed on Orlando Pace in favor of moving down and taking James Farrior.

What was even crazier is after the first trade down he was still staring at Walter Jones...and then traded down again to take Farrior. 

I think he was looking at the draft the way Kipers and others predict the draft: pure, unadulterated current need. In Tuna's mind they had Jumbo and Williams signed for big money so it'd have been a relative waste to take another tackle for a HC who was only committing to coaching here for 3 years. This after he wouldn't give his buddy Archie the wink-wink commitment to taking Peyton, who then grudgingly decided to go back to school in freaking March.

:bag: 

On 1/17/2019 at 2:15 PM, LIJetsFan said:

The only thing about this thread that I like is being reminded that we have an extra 3rd rounder thanks to Teddy.

I for one do not care how fleeced we get in moving down.....I do not want the 3rd pick, period.  

History won't judge it as the Jets being fleeced. Sam Darnold will tell a different story.

55 minutes ago, Bugg said:

I’d take Greedy over Allen because I think Allen is going to be a bust. This year’s draft isn’t the best unless you need DL. 

As far as CB if you need one take them with your first pick because the rule change makes it that much harder to be good. 

On 1/17/2019 at 1:08 PM, Jets1958 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-mock-draft-jaguars-dolphins-trade-into-top-five-broncos-snag-qb-at-end-of-round-1/

Jets trade down with Jacksonville in this mock and get a second reounder.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars (NYJ mock trade)

Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio State. If the Jaguars want to ensure they get their preferred quarterback, this is at least as far as they need to move. Each of the next three teams probably think they're set at quarterback for 2019, but if Haskins blows the doors off the predraft process, who knows? Unless every quarterback falls flat over the next few months, expect some jockeying at the top of the draft to grab the No. 1 option. With this trade, the Jets help offset the cost it took to move up for Sam Darnold last year.

7. New York Jets (JAC mock trade)

Clelin Ferrell, EDGE, Clemson.  The Jets would do well to sit at No. 3 and take Allen, but if a QB-needy team bowls them over with a trade offer, why not recoup some of the draft capital they spent trading up for Sam Darnold last year? Ferrell has 36.5 tackles for loss and 21 sacks over his last two seasons, but he's also an excellent run defender and would give New York a three-down talent on the edge.

I hope this would result in the Jets getting more than just one second round pick.

On 1/17/2019 at 1:58 PM, Paradis said:

That's only our only hope, in avoiding another DLine pick.

I'm not confident though...

• NYG - forget trading up. Not after passing on Darnold last year, and not with NYJ
  • JAX & MIA -- Neither franchise is going to mortgage their 1sts in 2020/2021 for Haskins/Murray. Not with Tua & Lawrence around the corner... they sooner sign a Flacco type band-aide and see who falls to them. 

It's not looking good boys. Maybe a small "hop up" for Q Williams. 

Washington is my dark horse candidate to move up for a QB.  They need to address their QB situation in a big way and may not be able to wait another year given Alex Smith's injury situation.

On 1/17/2019 at 1:42 PM, JiF said:

Avery Williamson is an awesome player.  I'm perfectly fine with him holding it down.

I don't know that he's awesome, but he's more than adequate enough to not even think ILB anywhere near that high. I'll bet if we took an ILB at #3, and he had Williamson's 2018-level season at any time before 2022 it'd be considered a solid pick at worst.

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't know that he's awesome, but he's more than adequate enough to not even think ILB anywhere near that high. I'll bet if we took an ILB at #3, and he had Williamson's 2018-level season at any time before 2022 it'd be considered a solid pick at worst.

Did you know, prior to joining the Jets...he was the highest rated pass coverage LB'er in the NFL?

He's pretty freaking good.  If awesome isnt the word, fine but homeboy can play and I cant wait to see him play in a system that actually looks to take advantage of their players strengths.   

34 minutes ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Washington is my dark horse candidate to move up for a QB.  They need to address their QB situation in a big way and may not be able to wait another year given Alex Smith's injury situation.

I feel you, but if you were the general manager of the Redskins, or even a fan, would you want the Redskins to trade away first-round picks for the next two years to trade up for Haskins?? Is that the guy? ....After the Robert Griffin debacle? I don’t see it. Bridgewater types for a year plus a gamble on Lock or other drafted QB and you can still make a run at Tua next year 

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I feel you, but if you were the general manager of the Redskins, or even a fan, would you want the Redskins to trade away first-round picks for the next two years to trade up for Haskins?? Is that the guy? ....After the Robert Griffin debacle? I don’t see it. Bridgewater types for a year plus a gamble on Lock or other drafted QB and you can still make a run at Tua next year 

Depends on how much buzz Haskins is able to generate.  I can certainly see him having some trade up suitors.

2 minutes ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Depends on how much buzz Haskins is able to generate.  I can certainly see him having some trade up suitors.

If Haskins interviews well and has a good combine the hype machine will make him a top 4 pick

Archived