Mehta:Hard Knocks wants Jets, but Jets don't want them

Scott Dierking

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-sports-jets-hardknocks-adam-gase-sam-darnold-20190211-story.html

The Jets might be a perfect fit for the next installment of “Hard Knocks” given all their colorful personalities, but don’t set your DVRs expecting to find them this summer.

Although I’m told that people putting together the annual docuseries have interest in having the Jets on air, the feeling isn’t mutual. People on One Jets Drive have privately expressed their desire to me to steer clear of the show for myriad reasons.

Translation: Don’t expect the Jets to volunteer for Hard Knocks.

The Jets have not had any formal discussions with NFL Films, which chronicles one team’s journey through training camp, about the topic. NFL Films kicks off those types of conversations with potential teams in March, according to sources.

The NFL Films brain trust typically doesn’t ask teams with new head coaches to be on the show, but the Jets’ motley crew has created a curiosity internally among some of those folks.

The policy, however, is clear: The Jets are exempt from appearing on the show due to guidelines set forth by owners six years ago.

League rules explicitly state that teams cannot be compelled to appear on Hard Knocks if they fall into one of three categories:

1) They have a first-year head coach.

2) They have made the playoffs in the past two seasons.

3) They have appeared on the show in the past 10 years.

Since the Jets check two of those boxes (see: Adam Gase and Hard Knocks appearance in 2010), they’re in the clear. There are only five teams that won’t have the right to refuse to be on the show: The Giants, Washington, Raiders, 49ers and Lions.

The Jets haven’t had an internal discussion among their brain trust about the matter given that NFL Films has not formally broached the topic with them. But know this: Forget about Gang Green volunteering to be on the show.

If the Jets called up NFL Films right now to tell them that they wanted to do the show, it would take, oh, about three seconds, for them to jump at Gang Green’s offer.

But that’s an offer that won’t happen, according to sources.

The Jets have quite the collection of interesting personalities that would drive ratings. It’s a needless distraction from a team perspective, but people would tune in to watch.

Just look at the cast of characters: Jamal Adams, Gregg Williams and Gase.

Adams would try to hog as much air time as possible. Williams would be Williams. Gase would put show editors to work by bleeping every third word given his penchant for colorful metaphors (according to former players who I spoke with).

The Jets added another layer to the story last week by hiring Joe Vitt, who testified against Williams during the BountyGate hearings. (Williams and Vitt evidently have made amends).

The rest of the league would also find out that Sam Darnold is a pretty interesting dude, too.

Sprinkle in a little bit of Le’Veon Bell (maybe) and/or other high-priced free agent signings and you have the makings of an entertaining show.

The Jets wisely couldn’t care less about any of that. They just need to win more games. Having a camera crew documenting their every move while they try to set a proper foundation for the season doesn’t actually help toward that end.

That’s not to say that it absolutely would adversely affect them in 2019.

The Jets actually made the playoffs when they appeared on Hard Knocks in 2010. It was the last time they sniffed the postseason.

The Jets might be good theater in August, but they’re more interested in people tuning in to watch them in January when it actually matters.

9 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Wouldn't volunteering to be on the show be the "Jetsy" thing to do?

I'm confused.....I thought everyone associated with the Jets were complete and utter buffoons?  

Bowles was too boring to put on TV so I doubt they asked for the prior 4 years.

Gase solidified his reality show demand with those f***ing eyes at the presser. Made even better with his fiery, force-fed DC who then force-fed his son onto the team. They asked all these HCs about whom they'd hire but the DC they wanted so bad they didn't ask if hiring his own son was a line in the sand? Lol.

Also keep in mind the Jets already did Hard Knocks, and we all got to witness on camera the Revis holdout, as well as collectively feel dirty watching Tannenbaum's icky last minute pressure-squeeze on Clemens (meh player, but a nice kid, so who really wanted to watch that). And who could forget Cromartie forgetting his kids' names on camera, with HBO leaving it in to make sure his kids are publicly humiliated and heartbroken. 

There's another good reason I'm reluctant to bring up, but it was less likely to be a factor in 2010. Suffice to say, they did this once already, airing some embarrassing moments like those I mentioned. Good for them for not making the same mistake twice. 

If the Giants aren't the team you know the NFL is rigged. The Giants are one of a handful of teams that can't say no. They have Odell/Saquon and probably the drama of an Eli vs. highly drafted rookie QB battle. 

It's pure gold. The only way it's not the Giants is if another team volunteers or the NFL favors certain teams over others. 

The Jets don't need any distractions!!! They had enough of it when Rex Ryan was around, they definitely don't need it now. There is a whole new coaching staff and the players need the time to learn the systems. The team don't need to be distracted by a camera crew and their cameras.

1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

Other than maybe Godfather 2, there are hardly any sequels that outdo the original. 

• Empire Strikes Back
  • Terminator 2: Judgment Day
  • Blade 2
  • The Dark Knight
  • Aliens
  • Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan
  • The Naked Gun 2 1/2
  • Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior
  • Shrek 2
  • Addams Family Values
  • 10 Cloverfield Lane
  • Ghostbusters 2
  • Lethal Weapon 2
  • Captain America: Winter Soldier
  • Despicable Me 2

My bet -- Giants will be on Hard Knocks. Of the teams that don't have veto power they're the most attractive. Saquon, OBJ, a passing of the torch QB situation. Plus it's a rare season where a marquee franchise like that is available, they're rarely bad enough to be in this position.

If they aren't on HK the Maras probably pulled some strings.

The fact that HBO wants the Jets is a terrible sign that we're still seen as a clown show.  I'm glad that we at least don't want to do it this time around.  I do think it should be Giants too.  The fact that HBO would prefer the Jets to the Giants surprises me.  We've already been on before while they haven't been.  They're a classic franchise too which is probably an uncommon opportunity for HBO (imagine if they could get the Patriots?!)   I think Belichick might retire before doing Hard KNocks.

By the way, does the sentence below mean that a team is exempt from HK if they've made the playoffs either of the previous 2 seasons?  Or did they have to qualify both times?  I wonder why that was put in there btw.  Playoff teams not wanting distractions?  Let the lower rung teams be the circus for the fans?

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:
  • Empire Strikes Back
  • Blade 2
  • The Dark Knight
  • Aliens
  • The Naked Gun 2 1/2
  • Shrek 2
  • Addams Family Values
  • 10 Cloverfield Lane
  • Ghostbusters 2
  • Lethal Weapon 2
  • Despicable Me 2

Hahahahahaha ... Digging pretty deep in history going back to Stak Trek 2

did anyone actually watch either  Addams Family 1 or 2 ?

entertaining list tho

13 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The fact that HBO wants the Jets is a terrible sign that we're still seen as a clown show.  I'm glad that we at least don't want to do it this time around.  I do think it should be Giants too.  The fact that HBO would prefer the Jets to the Giants surprises me.  We've already been on before while they haven't been.  They're a classic franchise too which is probably an uncommon opportunity for HBO (imagine if they could get the Patriots?!)   I think Belichick might retire before doing Hard KNocks.

By the way, does the sentence below mean that a team is exempt from HK if they've made the playoffs either of the previous 2 seasons?  Or did they have to qualify both times?  I wonder why that was put in there btw.  Playoff teams not wanting distractions?  Let the lower rung teams be the circus for the fans?

It’s true, that’s how the jets are still perceived, but you can’t blame them.  Jets haven’t been relevant in almost a decade and they have the 3rd pick in the draft.  The face of their franchise is Adams right now until darnold takes over, and Adams is perfect for the show.  Throw in williams who was a star in last year’s hard knocks and there you go.

13 hours ago, ljr said:

Hahahahahaha ... Digging pretty deep in history going back to Stak Trek 2

did anyone actually watch either  Addams Family 1 or 2 ?

entertaining list tho 

I did, and especially enjoyed the 2nd one!  :)

The only ones on my list that cannot possibly be argued against are the first 4 I listed:  Empire Strikes Back, Terminator 2, Blade 2 and Dark Knight.  I will fight anyone who disagrees with that quartet of sequels. 

17 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:
  • Empire Strikes Back
  • Blade 2
  • The Dark Knight
  • Aliens
  • The Naked Gun 2 1/2
  • Shrek 2
  • Addams Family Values
  • 10 Cloverfield Lane
  • Ghostbusters 2
  • Lethal Weapon 2
  • Despicable Me 2

Could put any number of the 25 James Bond movies on that list.  Or a Bourne movie.  Avengers?  

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Might want to put any number of the 25 James Bond movies on that list.  Or a Bourne movie.  

For these purposes, I only considered a "sequel" the 2nd movie in the series.  Thus, a Bond movie didn't make the cut.  I'd have included LOTR: Return of the King otherwise. 

I've never seen any of the Bourne movies, so I'll leave that to others to determine if the 2nd of that trilogy was better than the 1st.

1 minute ago, Klecko73isGod said:

It's gotta be the Raiders - Gruden, their mutant owner with the world's worst haircut and they may not know where they are playing their regular season games by the time camp opens.  This is a reason to subscribe to HBO.

Agreed.  Of this list of "eligible teams", Raiders are the most interesting and most likely. 

The Giants, Washington, Raiders, 49ers and Lions.

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For these purposes, I only considered a "sequel" the 2nd movie in the series.  Thus, a Bond movie didn't make the cut.  I'd have included LOTR: Return of the King otherwise. 

I've never seen any of the Bourne movies, so I'll leave that to others to determine if the 2nd of that trilogy was better than the 1st.

Gotcha, the Bourne movies are excellent.

23 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Terminator 2 has Robert Patrick, and Sarah Connor is a total badass.

You're wrong, wrong wrong. 

tumblr_nqji8yjGVG1tdkro1o1_500.gif

T2 was made to placate the fanboys who wanted to see Arnold as a good guy. It's a good movie, and a solid extension to the original, but it lacks the dark tone that's so great about the first one. The "Tech Noir" night club scene alone makes the first one a superior movie. Sarah Connor's entire life and view of the world changes right then and there.giphy.gif.bf9f157e95dac0e8a2678bb8868a0480.gif

Archived