Jets Reportedly Targeting Dillard/Jonah Via Trade Down

SR24

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Honestly, if the Jets end up with a guy they have #7 on their board that they want the most of everyone, for reasons such a positional need/value, even a failure to trade down should not do anything to change what they do.  4 draft slots is not a good enough reason to change your entire plan.  Every year you have team's getting criticized on draft day for taking someone higher than a bunch of media folks' last of 50 different versions of rankings happened to say, while other supposedly high-rated players go plummeting down the board.  In the end, none of it makes a damn bit of difference, or is even remembered, when the move pays off.

i agree, but mccagnan wants a 2nd round pick, at least.  so while we can argue the merits of taking an OL at #3 b/c of protecting darnold, it's definitely easier to stomach taking the OL at, say, 10, and also getting extra picks.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Disagree like a 100%.  Williams is being downgraded over panic on his arm measurement and a couple plays in college where he failed to extend to the rusher, when it reality they are ignoring the other 300 times when they did. Defense is purely secondary to offense because of Sam and Darnold. If you listen to some of Gase's interviews he talks about the OL being a WIP.  Nothing more important to the Jets than getting a tackle and center in the draft. Nothing.

Those guys never bust

The reality of this draft is that it is much deeper on the defensive side of the ball. It makes more sense to get a top offensive player early bc all of the value from rounds 3-7 will be on the defense. The offensive guys are going to go earlier than people think bc of the lack of depth.

In my opinion if they trade back, assuming they pick up at least an additional 2nd round pick, my first 2 picks would be on the offensive line. Then in round 3 with 2 maybe 3 picks after the trade back they can probably get a few guys with 2nd round talent that fall. And there will be plenty of defensive guys that go later than projected. 

Just now, choon328 said:

The reality of this draft is that it is much deeper on the defensive side of the ball. It makes more sense to get a top offensive player early bc all of the value from rounds 3-7 will be on the defense. The offensive guys are going to go earlier than people think bc of the lack of depth.

In my opinion if they trade back, assuming they pick up at least an additional 2nd round pick, my first 2 picks would be on the offensive line. Then in round 3 with 2 maybe 3 picks after the trade back they can probably get a few guys with 2nd round talent that fall. And there will be plenty of defensive guys that go later than projected. 

if they trade back and get at least a 2nd rounder, i can see them taking an OT in round 1, using the 2nd rounder on an edge rusher, then drafting a C in the 3rd along with a cb.

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i agree, but mccagnan wants a 2nd round pick, at least.  so while we can argue the merits of taking an OL at #3 b/c of protecting darnold, it's definitely easier to stomach taking the OL at, say, 10, and also getting extra picks.

Oh yeah, if that's their goal and they can pull it off, then I can certainly understand going that route.  My only point that if a deal never happens, or that the offers are so inconsequential that they're not worth the risk of losing out on who they really want, they shouldn't let themselves get talked into / out of something just because of a few slots.

27 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Idk wtf a snowflake is but if your fake tough guy internet persona we’re in front of me it would be bleeding all over my floor.

You two snowflakes should just get it over with and **** each other. #NoOffense

4 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

there have been about 15 different outlets that have reported that the jets are VERY VERY VERY interested in trading down....it borders on begging and the opposite of a poker face.

Yes...15 different outlets have reported the same thing we've all known since the regular season ended.  

Macc has said the same thing at the combine and the owners meetings when asked:

1) They're not interested in trading up

2) They would definitely be interested in trading down....if the offer was "worthy"

3) They would be more than happy to stay put.

Exactly what just about every other GM in this situation would say.

You can have 5 or 15 or 25 or 500 outlets reporting on the same set of comments over and over every day until the draft....it's doesn't mean the Jets are "begging" to trade down to the point they are jeopardizing their negotiation potential.

The only thing that is jeopardizing the Jets potential is the lack of worthwhile QBs to trade up for.

13 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

there have been about 15 different outlets that have reported that the jets are VERY VERY VERY interested in trading down....it borders on begging and the opposite of a poker face.

It would be being if Macc kept saying it. The reports are all going off of the one comment Macc made about being open to trading down for the right price. You're acting as if Macc is quoted in each story with a different comment about how much he'd like to trade down. That's just not accurate

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

The problem is none of the passrushers are generational. Every player in this draft has a question mark. 

With Ed Oliver the only question is whether you're getting Aaron Donald or Geno Atkins. Comparing the issues of the DL at 3 to the issues keeping the WR/CB/T out of the conversation at 3 is a false equivalence. I see the case for Dillard but he's just such a big pansy. He's never seen a real edge rush. He gets by on his agility against lesser competition but once he's moving there's no anchor and no punch so I assume his technique is just sh*tty or something. I think he's gonna have trouble with the band and trouble with the counters.

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

It would be being if Macc kept saying it. The reports are all going off of the one comment Macc made about being open to trading down for the right price. You're acting as if Macc is quoted in each story with a different comment about how much he'd like to trade down. That's just not accurate

you are missing the point. this is exactly what i have been saying...media makes it seems like we are desperate to trade down including this report that we are targeting second tier players with a trade down. in reality the jets have said they were open to it, but thats about it...and if they really were desperate to trade down....i'd expect them to come out and talk up the top of this draft.

24 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Disagree like a 100%.  Williams is being downgraded over panic on his arm measurement and a couple plays in college where he failed to extend to the rusher, when it reality they are ignoring the other 300 times when they did. Defense is purely secondary to offense because of Sam and Darnold. If you listen to some of Gase's interviews he talks about the OL being a WIP.  Nothing more important to the Jets than getting a tackle and center in the draft. Nothing.

Williams is being downgraded on account of he's a big fat pile of crap. They give you like a 23 pSparq just for putting your shoes on the right feet and the boy who swallowed the whale couldn't muster 18.

9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if they trade back and get at least a 2nd rounder, i can see them taking an OT in round 1, using the 2nd rounder on an edge rusher, then drafting a C in the 3rd along with a cb.

The top 5 Centers will be gone by the 3rd round. A lot of those offensive lineman are going to get pushed up in the draft. The majority if not all of the top 5 Centers have position flexibility which makes them more attractive to teams who don't have an opportunity at Center but do at Guard. The 3rd round will be too late if you're looking for a plug and play Center in my opinion.

29 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I'm not saying your wrong. My thought is yea, it's a work in progress, but it doesn't mean we'll draft one that high. I don't think we will. It's the draft. anything can happen

8 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

you are missing the point. this is exactly what i have been saying...media makes it seems like we are desperate to trade down including this report that we are targeting second tier players with a trade down. in reality the jets have said they were open to it, but thats about it...and if they really were desperate to trade down....i'd expect them to come out and talk up the top of this draft.

These were your comments earlier,

"there have been about 15 different outlets that have reported that the jets are VERY VERY VERY interested in trading down....it borders on begging and the opposite of a poker face."

So what you just said in response to my response is the exact opposite of what you said earlier. 

12 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

With Ed Oliver the only question is whether you're getting Aaron Donald or Geno Atkins. Comparing the issues of the DL at 3 to the issues keeping the WR/CB/T out of the conversation at 3 is a false equivalence. I see the case for Dillard but he's just such a big pansy. He's never seen a real edge rush. He gets by on his agility against lesser competition but once he's moving there's no anchor and no punch so I assume his technique is just sh*tty or something. I think he's gonna have trouble with the band and trouble with the counters.

LMAO

These were your comments earlier,
"there have been about 15 different outlets that have reported that the jets are VERY VERY VERY interested in trading down....it borders on begging and the opposite of a poker face."
So what you just said in response to my response is the exact opposite of what you said earlier. 

No it’s not. Read harder. The above was regarding the insinuation by the media.

3 hours ago, SR24 said:

http://draftanalyst.com/potential-trade-down-targets-new-york-jets

Saw this pop up via twitter and thought it was interesting. Wonder if Gase is having a bigger say in the draft process than we think

We all know that the Draft is top heavy in Edge guys but NOT in OLine.  I think a trade down by the Jets puts them in the market for either the 1st Tier linemen (Taylor, Dillard, J. Williams) or the 2nd Tier Edge guys like Burns, Ferrell, etc.  In either case, depending on the draft picks acquired in the trade I think this lines up well for the Jets needs.  Maybe the more appropriate question is if the Jets go OLine in Round 1 would there be Edge value in Round 2, and vice versa, if they go Edge in Round 1 can we get good value on OLine in Round 2 (maybe Center)?

To me, trade downs are all about where you see the pockets of positional value throughout the whole Draft (ex. This is a good WR draft from about pick 15 through Round 2, this could be a good draft of Cornerbacks in the middle rounds but no real top end talent, etc.)

45 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Williams is being downgraded on account of he's a big fat pile of crap. They give you like a 23 pSparq just for putting your shoes on the right feet and the boy who swallowed the whale couldn't muster 18.

I know what Sparq is but I have not seen an analysis of correlation to actual NFL performance. I like Jawaan actually over Williams, and REALLY want us to figure a way to get Bradbury. Bradbury might do more for Sam and the offense than any other player in the draft.

Just now, long time suffering Jets f said:

I can only imagine this board's reaction if the Jets trade down after Bosa has fallen on their laps.

I'd reach a whole new level of anger

4 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

he wants to trade down, he's made that clear.  the rest of the article is speculative though i do believe the would take an OL in round 1 if they trade back, not a shocker considering how they have said repeatedly they want to protect darnold.  

scoring more points will offset whatever they get from allen or bosa. a better offense would even make the bowles defense look way better.

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

the value is what someone is willing to purchase something for.

no. the value is the pick.  someone else is trying to buy that value.  if they don't, you still have the value of a number 3. we are not forced to trade

27 minutes ago, rangerous said:

scoring more points will offset whatever they get from allen or bosa. a better offense would even make the bowles defense look way better.

Not to mention, with all these edge rushers being drafted, teams need to block them.  Like last year I think the good OL go quickly. 

18 minutes ago, jack48 said:

no. the value is the pick.  someone else is trying to buy that value.  if they don't, you still have the value of a number 3. we are not forced to trade

But the value of trading the pick is what you can get for it not what you ask or what you traded to get it last year.  It does not matter that the jets gave up 3 #2s to move up 3 spots, if the giants are only willing to give up a 2nd and 3rd rounder, then that’s the MV.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

To be honest, the better value will be the opposite.   There will be better O-linemen available in the second than there will be edge rushers.  

7 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

To be honest, the better value will be the opposite.   There will be better O-linemen available in the second than there will be edge rushers.  

Exactly. As i said in a previous post. If we obtain a 2nd pick, we could take Sharping. Just as good as Dillard as a pass blocker, with perhaps more upside as a run blocker.

49 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I think that good OL are harder to find now that colleges use more gimmicky offenses, so OL are now being overdrafted.  And with all these pass rushers being drafted, teams still need to protect all these high priced qbs.  That said if the jets trade back and get at least a 2nd, i would not be upset if they took a pass rusher in the first and addressed OL on day 2.

Just for the record this is the same guy who said 

Tony Pauline of DraftAnalyst.com reported Sunday the Jets are instead looking at "second-tier running backs" and "showing little interest" in Bell.

i like tony he is usually right on some mid to late picks . But I take his inside info with a grain of salt . 

1 hour ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

I can only imagine this board's reaction if the Jets trade down after Bosa has fallen on their laps.

If you want a big haul of draft picks you have to give up a player that’s going to hurt when you pass on him. 

1 minute ago, TheGoose said:

Putting this here:

Andre Dillard: 33 4/8” arms

Jonah Williams: 33 5/8” arms

Jonah williams is the type of player mccagnan would trade back and take, high floor player from great D1 program who is unlikely to bust.  He’s basically the offensive version of Leonard williams.

Archived