Jump to content
Jet hustle

Most under-rated Jet of all time

Recommended Posts

Ronnie Lott

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2019 at 11:42 PM, jgb said:

Don Maynard. HOF player gets overlooked all the time whenever Jets greatest players are discussed on here and elsewhere. He was outrageously dominant. Still has highest YPC in league history of players over 600 catches. That’s ridiculous for a guy who played mostly in the 1960s. Guy deserves a lot more love as one of the best players of 20th century. A lot more. And a 9th round pick to boot.

He’s in the HOF DUH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

He’s in the HOF DUH

If someone said Jerry Rice is the 2nd best WR of all time, they are underrating him. It’s about an existing delta between perception and reality. Not about necessarily saying a guy isn’t good. Imagine if Klecko gets in next year after 30 years of waiting... suddenly not allowed to say he was underrated?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jgb said:

If someone said Jerry Rice is the 2nd best WR of all time, they are underrating him. It’s about the delta between perception and reality. Not about necessarily saying a guy isn’t good.

Maynard was a stud. One of the best wr’s in football and was as feared as Bambi. Speed kills.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's gotten to the point where I think Gastineau is underrated.  He was a monster and teams had to game plan against him.  I guess he was a sh*t teammate, so Klecko and douchey Howie Long campaigning against him really hurt his legacy.  The guy was a beast and he'd be earning $15+M today.  I don't mean just getting a $15M contract.  He'd actually earn it. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It's gotten to the point where I think Gastineau is underrated.  He was a monster and teams had to game plan against him.  I guess he was a sh*t teammate, so Klecko and douchey Howie Long campaigning against him really hurt his legacy.  The guy was a beast and he'd be earning $15+M today.  I don't mean just getting a $15M contract.  He'd actually earn it. 

Agree on Gastineau, also unfairly defined by one boneheaded play

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Maynard was a stud. One of the best wr’s in football and was as feared as Bambi. Speed kills.

Wish you had a vote when maynard was passed over ten times before finally getting into the Hall.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It's gotten to the point where I think Gastineau is underrated.  He was a monster and teams had to game plan against him.  I guess he was a sh*t teammate, so Klecko and douchey Howie Long campaigning against him really hurt his legacy.  The guy was a beast and he'd be earning $15+M today.  I don't mean just getting a $15M contract.  He'd actually earn it. 

He's another guy I don't feel was underrated. Gastineau was the most feared DE in the league for quite some time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kris Jenkins was a better Suh at his best. Time was brief, health didn’t last, but I remember him dominating for a brief bit- he crushed an old  Kevin Mawae when he went to the Titans

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about Rich Caster, anybody remember the game Namath and Unitas threw for a combined 872 yards. Joe had 496 yards which included two bombs to Caster, both on first down and both after the Colts marched down to score a touchdown. One was 79 yards, and the next possession was 80 yards. The Jets won the game 44-34. I will never forget it. Caster was a TE who started out as a receiver. His lifetime yards per catch was 17.1.

CAS679563.png

Rich Caster  

Height: 6-5   Weight: 228   Age: 70

Born: 10/16/1948 Mobile , AL

College: Jackson State

Experience: 13 Seasons

Receiving
Year Team G Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD 20+ 40+ 1st FUM
1982 Washington Redskins 1 -- -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- -- -- --
 
1981 Washington Redskins 3 5 77 15.4 25.7 26 0 -- -- -- --
 
1981 New Orleans Saints 4 7 108 15.4 27.0 31 0 -- -- -- --
 
1980 Houston Oilers 16 27 341 12.6 21.3 68T 3 -- -- -- --
 
1979 Houston Oilers 16 18 239 13.3 14.9 36 1 -- -- -- --
 
1978 Houston Oilers 14 20 316 15.8 22.6 47T 5 -- -- -- --
 
1977 New York Jets 10 10 205 20.5 20.5 58 1 -- -- -- --
 
1976 New York Jets 14 31 391 12.6 27.9 41 1 -- -- -- --
 
1975 New York Jets 14 47 820 17.4 58.6 91 4 -- -- -- --
 
1974 New York Jets 13 38 745 19.6 57.3 -- 7 -- -- -- --
 
1973 New York Jets 14 35 593 16.9 42.4 -- 4 -- -- -- --
 
1972 New York Jets 14 39 833 21.4 59.5 -- 10 -- -- -- --
 
1971 New York Jets 14 26 454 17.5 32.4 -- 6 -- -- -- --

REC

322

YDS

5,515

AVG

17.1

TDS

45

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Pat Leahy.... We forget what it's like to have a guy who is as good as gold from 40 yards in.

sss.jpg

From 0-19 he wasn't even 100%.

 

0-19: 20-21

20-29: 118-131

30-39: 94-127

Total:. 232-279, 83%

 

Myers last year under 40: 94%

2017 Catanzaro: 100%

2010-16 folk: 92%

 

 

Yes, good as gold 😂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

From 0-19 he wasn't even 100%.

 

0-19: 20-21

20-29: 118-131

30-39: 94-127

Total:. 232-279, 83%

 

Myers last year under 40: 94%

2017 Catanzaro: 100%

2010-16 folk: 92%

 

 

Yes, good as gold 😂

 

Hey... those were my college years, I was drunk a lot. Still liked him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Hey... those were my college years, I was drunk a lot. Still liked him.

I like Pat too(and I was a little kid and sober for the second half of his career here 😁), I appreciate all long time Jets but I also have to be honest.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Lith said:

Depends on how you define underrated.  Jet fans do not underrate these guys, but outside of our fanbase, neither receives the credit they deserve. 

Few years back I went to Jets - Bears game at Soldier Field.  I think it was 2010.  My son is wearing his Maynard jersey.  Bears fan stops us and asks when Brad Maynard (Bears punter) played for the Jets.  Told him he didn't; it was a Don Maynard jersey.  He asked who is that?  Just one fan, but that is underrated (and not to mention a bit ignorant).

It is very rare for a player to be remembered very long after they retire unless they remain in the public eye doing national tv work - or were exceptionally famous when they played.  I imagine it is only a small percentage of current living Jets fans who remember seeing Maynard play.   

Most of Rome's emperors are only known to historians and nerds like me.  Maynard never stood a chance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Lith said:

Depends on how you define underrated.  Jet fans do not underrate these guys, but outside of our fanbase, neither receives the credit they deserve. 

Few years back I went to Jets - Bears game at Soldier Field.  I think it was 2010.  My son is wearing his Maynard jersey.  Bears fan stops us and asks when Brad Maynard (Bears punter) played for the Jets.  Told him he didn't; it was a Don Maynard jersey.  He asked who is that?  Just one fan, but that is underrated (and not to mention a bit ignorant).

It is very rare for a player to be remembered very long after they retire unless they remain in the public eye doing national tv work - or were exceptionally famous when they played.  I imagine it is only a small percentage of current living Jets fans who remember seeing Maynard play.   

Most of Rome's emperors are only known to historians and nerds like me.  Maynard never stood a chance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I like Pat too(and I was a little kid and sober for the second half of his career here 😁), I appreciate all long time Jets but I also have to be honest.  

I had a friend in college who worked the camp in Hofstra and she said he was the greatest guy.  They were buds. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Shaun Ellis is a good one.  Jeff Lageman was pretty good too.

Jeff Lageman for sure. 

He gets a bad rap for where he was drafted but he was the best player on some really bad teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Jeff Lageman for sure. 

He gets a bad rap for where he was drafted but he was the best player on some really bad teams.

Some really bad teams...  THAT defines most of the JETS history no? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Jeff Lageman for sure. 

He gets a bad rap for where he was drafted but he was the best player on some really bad teams.

Lageman got killed by Kiper and the rest for being picked ahead of WR Hart-Lee Dykes.

Then Lageman went on to have a very good career, while Dykes was a massive bust for the pre-Cheat Pats.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

some good choices in Alexander and Fields...

my vote is Thomas Jones...  the man from big stone gap...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Losmeister said:

some good choices in Alexander and Fields...

my vote is Thomas Jones...  the man from big stone gap...

 

TJ, not a bad choice running the ground and pound in the twilight of his career.  He had Alan, Nick, Brick, Big Wood, that's when the OL was one of the best in the league. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

TJ, not a bad choice running the ground and pound in the twilight of his career.  He had Alan, Nick, Brick, Big Wood, that's when the OL was one of the best in the league. 

Oline doesn’t matter.   Haven’t you read Macs book?😡

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe not the most under rated because of his position but Ken O'Brien deserves some credit. He was very good. Also played behind an awful OLINE and succeeded throwing during winters in New Jersey. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2019 at 10:26 AM, Bungaman said:

Brad Smith. I could not figure out why he never got a legit shot at QB, given how we couldn't keep a decent one on the field. Mobile, a great arm, and a competitor. Four year college QB. Like a taller Ray Lucas who could actually pass the ball. Given how much hoopla there is over QB's  who can run and pass, he got short shrift.

 

Stats and bio 

Brad Smith was like 10 years too early 

lots of good candidates in this thread  but it's hard to take Klecko and Jamal Adams as underrated. People know those guys are good. 

I always found Bryan Thomas to be underrated. People talked endless crap about the dude and he ended up a 10 year Jet, retired in green. so he wasn't Ed Reed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, David Harris said:

Kris Jenkins was a better Suh at his best. Time was brief, health didn’t last, but I remember him dominating for a brief bit- he crushed an old  Kevin Mawae when he went to the Titans

Yeah, but he was healthy a total of about 12 games for the team.

I thought Mo Lewis was a HELL of a player, just stuck on total crap teams.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Yeah, but he was healthy a total of about 12 games for the team.

I thought Mo Lewis was a HELL of a player, just stuck on total crap teams.

Mo was a top 3 player at his position for much of the 90’s

 

Everyone makes such a huge deal about Rex inheriting a good team what about Parcells?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Brad Smith was like 10 years too early 

lots of good candidates in this thread  but it's hard to take Klecko and Jamal Adams as underrated. People know those guys are good. 

I always found Bryan Thomas to be underrated. People talked endless crap about the dude and he ended up a 10 year Jet, retired in green. so he wasn't Ed Reed 

Bryan Thomas wasn’t underrated he couldn’t sniff the qb

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...