Most under-rated Jet of all time

On 5/20/2019 at 11:42 PM, jgb said:

Don Maynard. HOF player gets overlooked all the time whenever Jets greatest players are discussed on here and elsewhere. He was outrageously dominant. Still has highest YPC in league history of players over 600 catches. That’s ridiculous for a guy who played mostly in the 1960s. Guy deserves a lot more love as one of the best players of 20th century. A lot more. And a 9th round pick to boot.

He’s in the HOF DUH

14 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

He’s in the HOF DUH

If someone said Jerry Rice is the 2nd best WR of all time, they are underrating him. It’s about an existing delta between perception and reality. Not about necessarily saying a guy isn’t good. Imagine if Klecko gets in next year after 30 years of waiting... suddenly not allowed to say he was underrated?

• Upvote 1

Just now, jgb said:

If someone said Jerry Rice is the 2nd best WR of all time, they are underrating him. It’s about the delta between perception and reality. Not about necessarily saying a guy isn’t good.

Maynard was a stud. One of the best wr’s in football and was as feared as Bambi. Speed kills.

• Upvote 1

It's gotten to the point where I think Gastineau is underrated.  He was a monster and teams had to game plan against him.  I guess he was a sh*t teammate, so Klecko and douchey Howie Long campaigning against him really hurt his legacy.  The guy was a beast and he'd be earning $15+M today.  I don't mean just getting a $15M contract.  He'd actually earn it. 

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It's gotten to the point where I think Gastineau is underrated.  He was a monster and teams had to game plan against him.  I guess he was a sh*t teammate, so Klecko and douchey Howie Long campaigning against him really hurt his legacy.  The guy was a beast and he'd be earning $15+M today.  I don't mean just getting a $15M contract.  He'd actually earn it. 

Agree on Gastineau, also unfairly defined by one boneheaded play

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Maynard was a stud. One of the best wr’s in football and was as feared as Bambi. Speed kills.

Wish you had a vote when maynard was passed over ten times before finally getting into the Hall.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He's another guy I don't feel was underrated. Gastineau was the most feared DE in the league for quite some time.

How about Rich Caster, anybody remember the game Namath and Unitas threw for a combined 872 yards. Joe had 496 yards which included two bombs to Caster, both on first down and both after the Colts marched down to score a touchdown. One was 79 yards, and the next possession was 80 yards. The Jets won the game 44-34. I will never forget it. Caster was a TE who started out as a receiver. His lifetime yards per catch was 17.1.

CAS679563.png

Rich Caster  

Height: 6-5   Weight: 228   Age: 70

Born: 10/16/1948 Mobile , AL

College: Jackson State

Experience: 13 Seasons

Receiving
Year Team G Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD 20+ 40+ 1st FUM
1982 Washington Redskins 1 -- -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- -- -- --

1981 Washington Redskins 3 5 77 15.4 25.7 26 0 -- -- -- --

1981 New Orleans Saints 4 7 108 15.4 27.0 31 0 -- -- -- --

1980 Houston Oilers 16 27 341 12.6 21.3 68T 3 -- -- -- --

1979 Houston Oilers 16 18 239 13.3 14.9 36 1 -- -- -- --

1978 Houston Oilers 14 20 316 15.8 22.6 47T 5 -- -- -- --

1977 New York Jets 10 10 205 20.5 20.5 58 1 -- -- -- --

1976 New York Jets 14 31 391 12.6 27.9 41 1 -- -- -- --

1975 New York Jets 14 47 820 17.4 58.6 91 4 -- -- -- --

1974 New York Jets 13 38 745 19.6 57.3 -- 7 -- -- -- --

1973 New York Jets 14 35 593 16.9 42.4 -- 4 -- -- -- --

1972 New York Jets 14 39 833 21.4 59.5 -- 10 -- -- -- --

1971 New York Jets 14 26 454 17.5 32.4 -- 6 -- -- -- --

REC

YDS

AVG

TDS

48 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Pat Leahy.... We forget what it's like to have a guy who is as good as gold from 40 yards in.

sss.jpg

From 0-19 he wasn't even 100%.

0-19: 20-21

20-29: 118-131

30-39: 94-127

Total:. 232-279, 83%

Myers last year under 40: 94%

2017 Catanzaro: 100%

2010-16 folk: 92%

Yes, good as gold ?

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

From 0-19 he wasn't even 100%.

0-19: 20-21

20-29: 118-131

30-39: 94-127

Total:. 232-279, 83%

Myers last year under 40: 94%

2017 Catanzaro: 100%

2010-16 folk: 92%

Yes, good as gold ?

Hey... those were my college years, I was drunk a lot. Still liked him.

6 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Hey... those were my college years, I was drunk a lot. Still liked him.

I like Pat too(and I was a little kid and sober for the second half of his career here ?), I appreciate all long time Jets but I also have to be honest.  

20 hours ago, Lith said:

Depends on how you define underrated.  Jet fans do not underrate these guys, but outside of our fanbase, neither receives the credit they deserve. 

Few years back I went to Jets - Bears game at Soldier Field.  I think it was 2010.  My son is wearing his Maynard jersey.  Bears fan stops us and asks when Brad Maynard (Bears punter) played for the Jets.  Told him he didn't; it was a Don Maynard jersey.  He asked who is that?  Just one fan, but that is underrated (and not to mention a bit ignorant).

It is very rare for a player to be remembered very long after they retire unless they remain in the public eye doing national tv work - or were exceptionally famous when they played.  I imagine it is only a small percentage of current living Jets fans who remember seeing Maynard play.   

Most of Rome's emperors are only known to historians and nerds like me.  Maynard never stood a chance!

20 hours ago, Lith said:

Depends on how you define underrated.  Jet fans do not underrate these guys, but outside of our fanbase, neither receives the credit they deserve. 

Few years back I went to Jets - Bears game at Soldier Field.  I think it was 2010.  My son is wearing his Maynard jersey.  Bears fan stops us and asks when Brad Maynard (Bears punter) played for the Jets.  Told him he didn't; it was a Don Maynard jersey.  He asked who is that?  Just one fan, but that is underrated (and not to mention a bit ignorant).

It is very rare for a player to be remembered very long after they retire unless they remain in the public eye doing national tv work - or were exceptionally famous when they played.  I imagine it is only a small percentage of current living Jets fans who remember seeing Maynard play.   

Most of Rome's emperors are only known to historians and nerds like me.  Maynard never stood a chance!

11 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I like Pat too(and I was a little kid and sober for the second half of his career here ?), I appreciate all long time Jets but I also have to be honest.  

I had a friend in college who worked the camp in Hofstra and she said he was the greatest guy.  They were buds. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Jeff Lageman for sure. 

He gets a bad rap for where he was drafted but he was the best player on some really bad teams.

Lageman got killed by Kiper and the rest for being picked ahead of WR Hart-Lee Dykes.

Then Lageman went on to have a very good career, while Dykes was a massive bust for the pre-Cheat Pats.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Losmeister said:

some good choices in Alexander and Fields...

my vote is Thomas Jones...  the man from big stone gap...

TJ, not a bad choice running the ground and pound in the twilight of his career.  He had Alan, Nick, Brick, Big Wood, that's when the OL was one of the best in the league. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

TJ, not a bad choice running the ground and pound in the twilight of his career.  He had Alan, Nick, Brick, Big Wood, that's when the OL was one of the best in the league. 

Oline doesn’t matter.   Haven’t you read Macs book??

On 5/21/2019 at 10:26 AM, Bungaman said:

Brad Smith. I could not figure out why he never got a legit shot at QB, given how we couldn't keep a decent one on the field. Mobile, a great arm, and a competitor. Four year college QB. Like a taller Ray Lucas who could actually pass the ball. Given how much hoopla there is over QB's  who can run and pass, he got short shrift.

Stats and bio 

Brad Smith was like 10 years too early 

lots of good candidates in this thread  but it's hard to take Klecko and Jamal Adams as underrated. People know those guys are good. 

I always found Bryan Thomas to be underrated. People talked endless crap about the dude and he ended up a 10 year Jet, retired in green. so he wasn't Ed Reed 

13 hours ago, David Harris said:

Kris Jenkins was a better Suh at his best. Time was brief, health didn’t last, but I remember him dominating for a brief bit- he crushed an old  Kevin Mawae when he went to the Titans

Yeah, but he was healthy a total of about 12 games for the team.

I thought Mo Lewis was a HELL of a player, just stuck on total crap teams.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Yeah, but he was healthy a total of about 12 games for the team.

I thought Mo Lewis was a HELL of a player, just stuck on total crap teams.

Mo was a top 3 player at his position for much of the 90’s

Everyone makes such a huge deal about Rex inheriting a good team what about Parcells?

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Brad Smith was like 10 years too early 

lots of good candidates in this thread  but it's hard to take Klecko and Jamal Adams as underrated. People know those guys are good. 

I always found Bryan Thomas to be underrated. People talked endless crap about the dude and he ended up a 10 year Jet, retired in green. so he wasn't Ed Reed 

Bryan Thomas wasn’t underrated he couldn’t sniff the qb

• Upvote 1