Gase Press Conference Tweets

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

In fairness we can say this about any FA whos brought in, owed some number.  No one is totally sure how a player will integrate into a lockerroom

Not many free agents that you hand $25 mil to led an insurrection against his former team and sat out a year and is a 27 year old running back 

36 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

C'mon man. These are the EXACT questions we've been asking ourselves. If the reporters didn't ask them, we'd be killing them for being lazy bitches sitting on couches eating Cheetos.

Like it or not, the Macc firing was a big local news story, and the GM search, Bell's contract situation, and organizational hierarchy going forward are subjects Gase should address. He's the HC and now interim GM here, and his tenure so far hasn't been uneventful. If you prefer him not having to explain anything that's gone on the last few weeks, I don't know what to tell you.

That said, I'll give Gase credit for as he said "taking the bullets." A day like today, and these type of pressers will go a long way in determining what type of relationship he has with the media going forward.

Thanks for the objective summary.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Great. So what did we learn from all these great questions? What do we know now about Darnold's development? Herndon's development? The type of offense the Jets will run? The type of defense Williams will use now that they Quinnen and Leonard? 

Does it really matter if Gase LOVES Bell or just really likes Bell? How about ask if Gase plans on using Bell as the every down back to get a real gauge on his feelings on Bell?

The media didn't do their job today unless their job was to appeal to the soap opera loving fringe Jets fans. 

So it's your feeling that if the media asked about Darnold and Herndon's development, and how Leo would be used on *MAY 23* in the FIRST  PC since everything transpired in the last few weeks, the media would have been doing their job?

If that's what you wanted to hear/read about today, you should've skipped this PC and checked on the NYJ.com homepage for whatever in house articles they might have up on their site. In the real world you weren't getting that today.

But you already knew that going in, didn't you?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

13 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The benefit of having social media is that we are no longer reliant on manish for Jets information. 

Edit to point you to the post above mine where we get to see Darnold, in action, via the Jets social media account. Don't need Manish to tell me how Darnold looks

Agreed. Man-ish is the devil!

7 minutes ago, MasterChiefJets said:

Gase did well. However, you could see when the blood was literally rushing to his head. Whether or not you believe him or not is moot. Like how he ended it and just walked off with no thank you or care: "Our Job is to Win, Our Job is to Win, That's it."

That was a baller move. I liked it a lot. JUST WIN

• Upvote 2

I still think Gase can be really good for this team. It's now up to CJ not to F this up with the GM. Which is not looking good right now. He's probably gonna try to get cute and hire someone who he thinks is a "true innovative thinker!" that has zero football background.

• Upvote 4

44 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The overall impression you get with Gase is that he’s just very smart, which is a sea change around these parts. By answering the questions with the most rote, robotic answers, he’s given the beat hacks enough to squeeze out their trash columns today, but at the same time bitch smacked them for being silly. Gase effectively fired the previous GM, is picking a submissive twink to replace him, he hates the Bell signing, and despite all that he made it through a presser without making news on any of those fronts. That’s smart.  

That's all fine and dandy, but if he fails to have winning seasons the next two years, the jackals will be at his door.

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not many free agents that you hand $25 mil to led an insurrection against his former team and sat out a year and is a 27 year old running back 

What's your guess to Bell's numbers this year? Just curious

Carries

Rushing yards

Receptions

Reception Yards

Fumbles

13 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

So it's your feeling that if the media asked about Darnold and Herndon's development, and how Leo would be used on *MAY 23* in the FIRST  PC since everything transpired in the last few weeks, the media would have been doing their job?

If that's what you wanted to hear/read about today, you should've skipped this PC and checked on the NYJ.com homepage for whatever in house articles they might have up on their site. In the real world you weren't getting that today.

But you already knew that going in, didn't you?

I won't speak for him, but I was hoping they would change gears after repeatedly asking the same form of question OVER.  AND OVER.  AND OVER AGAIN.  We understand the GM was fired.  We understand he is interim.  He answered.  now how is Sam doing with the new O so far?  anything about the team for crying out loud!

Either way, I think Gase nailed it.  hopefully shuts these idiots up for a while.

• Upvote 1

Whether or not Bell might act like a diva this year, I think Gase would just rather have a good RB and a good OL, as opposed to a great RB and a mediocre OL.  (He supposedly preferred signing Tevin Coleman and Paradis.)

Which just means that Gase actually has some common sense...

Best press conference in a while, from the media and HC standpoint. The reporters are supposed to ask the tough questions, albeit annoying and repetitive. Far too long have things happened in this organization and gone completely unchecked or unanswered. Questions were appropriate. Answers were appropriate. Gase might be a sociopath, but he's obviously an intelligent guy, which is certainly a change. He clearly realizes that this will 100% be an afterthought in a matter of weeks. 

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, MasterChiefJets said:

Gase did well. However, you could see when the blood was literally rushing to his head. Whether or not you believe him or not is moot. Like how he ended it and just walked off with no thank you or care: "Our Job is to Win, Our Job is to Win, That's it."

I'm Pro Gase.....but this came to mind, don't know why.

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

God listening to this is just brutal. Brutal because the media are just hounds in trying to pull something negative out of him and run with it. 

DID YOU OVERPAY....right but...DID YOU OVERPAY. CAN YOU TOUCH ON THAT. 

msm... enemy of the state. 

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Very true.

As would be the case for any coach we hired. 

I thought Gase did a very good job today answering questions that had to be asked and answered. 

The only thing that bothered me was the "walkoff" at the end. I realize he probably doesn't give a damn, but after manning up and taking the best shots the media could fire at him, I think his best move would've been to end it with something like "Thanks guys, I gotta go run a practice now. I'll have the players available immediately afterward." Its a little thing, but it would've been a classy way to end it, instead of the way he did it.

I know it would've been trite, and sounded like BS, but I think it would be better to at least sound like he's trying to work with them a bit, rather then coming off adversarial. New coaches in this town have a small window to form a working relationship with the local media after their hire. The smart ones make sure to get them on their side, even when they could care less about them.

• Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

What's your guess to Bell's numbers this year? Just curious

Carries

Rushing yards

Receptions

Reception Yards

Fumbles

You didn't ask me, but I'll jump in and say that I have no idea what the actual numbers will be but I expect them to be high.  If Bell thought the Steelers were going to run him into the ground in the final year before he walked I think the Jets may do something similar.  It's obvious that while Gase is happy to have Bell's talent on his offense, he's going to look to move on from this guy as soon as he can.  My guess is that Bell is here for 2 seasons and, if Gase is already thinking the same then he's going to pound this guy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

God listening to this is just brutal. Brutal because the media are just hounds in trying to pull something negative out of him and run with it. 

DID YOU OVERPAY....right but...DID YOU OVERPAY. CAN YOU TOUCH ON THAT. 

It’s like watching a political debate or soap opera. 

Just now, jetstream23 said:

You didn't ask me, but I'll jump in and say that I have no idea what the actual numbers will be but I expect them to be high.  If Bell thought the Steelers were going to run him into the ground in the final year before he walked I think the Jets may do something similar.  It's obvious that while Gase is happy to have Bell's talent on his offense, he's going to look to move on from this guy as soon as he can.  My guess is that Bell is here for 2 seasons and, if Gase is already thinking the same then he's going to pound this guy.

It is difficult , in my mind, to say what the numbers will be. Will the layoff hurt? Will the rest actually help? Does he come back determined? What of the Jets o-line. 

It was a risk signing, but I don't think that great a risk with the 2-year out as you state. The upside outweighs the risk and is a nice security blanket for the young qb.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, KRL said:

This was the truest fact from those 15 minutes

I was about to agree.....but I realized, it's not true.

Because Jets Fans care far too much about two things:   The NY Sports Media and the Giants.

So even if we win, I can see this place just being full of drama about what Francessa said, or what Mehta said, or the rest.

Frankly, the pom pom waving for Gase in this thread is utterly hilarious to me, you'd think reading some folks posts that we just won a playoff game or something, lol. 

But such is life round here.

• Upvote 2