Jets not Digging Doug? Rumor Says Gang Green not Meeting Douglas Demands

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

Relax.

The Jets will pay for what they want.  If they like Douglas the most, they'll pay him.  Unless they like someone else just as much and don't feel Douglas is worth the money.

All the upcoming tweets mean nothing.

GM salary doesn't count towards the cap.  The billionaire owners won't let a couple hundred grand or couple million per year affect their team's earning potential moving forward.

Chill.  Ignore Manish.  Enjoy your summer.

The Jets will get the GM they want.

The Jets will get the GM that Master Adam Gase wants. Lol

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Let me help you out, Champ Kelly is below Joe Douglas in his front office role, that’s clear enough...therefore, usually, in the business world, the man with a higher role takes on more responsibility.  It is highly, HIGHLY reasonable to make an educated guess that Joe Douglas has more say in his building than someone who is under him and has a lesser job title. There is one man who has more say over Joe Douglas, that’s Howie. There are several men who have more say than Kelly. It’s really not that hard. No, none of them actually have final say, otherwise, they’d be GM’s because that’s what GM’s do. 

We can take into account, the intricacies of the each NFL team’s pecking order during draft season but because we DONT know these types of things, the reasonable alternative would be to go off of job roles and previous reports. You saying “ we don’t know what goes on!” Is really just a way to argue....Joe Douglas is higher on the chain of command... saying he doesn’t have more say almost feels more wrong than saying Chanp Kelly has the same amount of say.

And every team is different, every asst on each team isnt required to work the same exact way.  So let me help you out, lol, we have no idea who has had more influence has had more say and has contributed more to selecting players than the other.  There is no blueprint, no requirement involved here, its each asst and each GM they work for to establish their own working environment.  Its not reasonable anywhere other than what we want to believe or how much trust we put into our guesswork about their working situations.  

You want Douglas.  Most do.  Not because he has a different job title but because he was the first name mentioned, he was the first one called a great choice and the guy few knew existed one day became the guy we had to get the next.  Kelly was the Rooney guy.

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And every team is different, every asst on each team isnt required to work the same exact way.  So let me help you out, lol, we have no idea who has had more influence has had more say and has contributed more to selecting players than the other.  There is no blueprint, no requirement involved here, its each asst and each GM they work for to establish their own working environment.  Its not reasonable anywhere other than what we want to believe or how much trust we put into our guesswork about their working situations.  

You want Douglas.  Most do.  Not because he has a different job title but because he was the first name mentioned, he was the first one called a great choice and the guy few knew existed one day became the guy we had to get the next.  Kelly was the Rooney guy.

Explain to me why Kelly would have more say over the actual VP of Player Personnel for the Chicago Bears? Because of trust?

you are speculating based off nothing. I am speculating off job title and usual business chain command.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, genot said:

It was Mac who insisted on bringing in Gregg Williams. That's why Matt Rhule isn't the HC here. I read a bunch of posts expressing optimism about the team and new staff. Who's the one who got them here. Mac.

What are you related to “Mac”?

Guy was one of the worst drafting GMs in NFL history.  That’s not me just talking, that’s HIS record.

Knowing that he spent his whole time as GM locked in his office watching college tape, like a scout, not a GM, and then putting together a roster with no rhyme or reason year after year, I don’t know of any team stupid enough to hire him as a scout at this point.

• Upvote 1

I really don't have a preference in who we hire because it's not like I have watched any of them play GM in college and can scout their abilities but if we preferred Douglas and lose out on him over money that will be very disappointing. Unless the going rate for GMs is X and he is asking for 2X there is no reason a million here or there should make a difference. 

10 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Explain to me why Kelly would have more say over the actual VP of Player Personnel for the Chicago Bears? Because of trust?

you are speculating based off nothing. I am speculating off job title and usual business chain command.

Because his GM listens more, takes more of a collaborative environment?  How about this, because Kelly may have made better recommendations that were taken.  I dont know, not saying he did.  I'm saying each year is different, each working environment is different and you have no idea, nether do I who has contributed more or over the selection of which players because of a stupid title.  You do get the GM takes info in and makes the choices, not Kelly or Douglas.  

I'm not speculating, you are.  I've said in every post we dont know who contributes what, that we have no idea.  Youre the one claiming a good guess, assumptions etc.  That would make you the one whos speculating to pump up your guy.  I get it. 

8 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

What are you related to “Mac”?

Guy was one of the worst drafting GMs in NFL history.  That’s not me just talking, that’s HIS record.

Knowing that he spent his whole time as GM locked in his office watching college tape, like a scout, not a GM, and then putting together a roster with no rhyme or reason year after year, I don’t know of any team stupid enough to hire him as a scout at this point.

I don't buy into the Mac was horrible narrative. His last three drafts have been good. I believe the last two have been very good. He managed the cap well enough, where we were able to sign everybody we wanted to in free agency, with a big chunk of money left for next off season. He's made some mistakes with regards to trades. He also has made some very good moves to bring talent here via trade.

• Thumb Down 1

Sounds to me like Douglas got a feel for the Johnsons dysfunctional leadership and he realizes it will continue.  Could be he threw them a  silly salary and scouting budget request that makes it worth him making the risky move. If they agree fine, if not he stays in Philly.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I plan on getting very worked up over the potential loss of a guy that I know nothing about and have no clue what he's actually done in his career and how whatever that was will translate to becoming a GM.

Seconded

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Lol except Kelly is an assistant VP of Player Personnel and has less say in the building in regards to the draft than Joe Douglas does in Philly.

How can you even know that let alone be so confident in it to reply snidely?

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Gase shouldn’t have anything to do with the contract. He’s the coach not the real GM, president or owner. 

Yes he absolutely shouldn't. But it doesn't mean he doesn't. Weird situation right from the get go. 

35 minutes ago, Jet Blast said:

:spin:

You guys are absolute morons if you coundn't figure out I was typing about the Bears & SAINTS since I was mentioning Kelly & Fontenot and typed Eagles by mistake, god sometimes I can't believe some of you Jet fans can even use a damn computer!

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Because his GM listens more, takes more of a collaborative environment?  How about this, because Kelly may have made better recommendations that were taken.  I dont know, not saying he did.  I'm saying each year is different, each working environment is different and you have no idea, nether do I who has contributed more or over the selection of which players because of a stupid title.  You do get the GM takes info in and makes the choices, not Kelly or Douglas.  

I'm not speculating, you are.  I've said in every post we dont know who contributes what, that we have no idea.  Youre the one claiming a good guess, assumptions etc.  That would make you the one whos speculating to pump up your guy.  I get it. 

If Kelly was anti-Trubisky, but was obviously over ruled, that would make me feel a ton better.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

What point?

Where a new HC, without a track record of winning is making power plays so he can try and control the future of this team. A HC playing a major role in who the GM is. That's the opposite of the way it's been done here, and everywhere else

The bottom line here is NOT ONE OF THESE GUYS have been a GM and not one arrogant Jet fan posting about the Jets disfunction for not having Douglas signed, sealed & delivered has a f*cking clue what these guys success rate will be here if they sign on. It's like this place is filled with idiot savants. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, genot said:

Where a new HC, without a track record of winning is making power plays so he can try and control the future of this team. A HC playing a major role in who the GM is. That's the opposite of the way it's been done here, and everywhere else

OK, how much of a say, other than to say he gets along with so and so by sitting in interviews, does Gase have?  

You know compared to how its done, where exactly? 

It gets comical every time we hire someone

1 hour ago, freestater said:

Did I say that?

What I think is Douglas is on the same page as our HC. Unlike the last 4 ******* sets of HC and GM. How well has forcing two random guys together, worked for this team? Nice little diatribe, but you didn't address the concern I have at all. Wanna know why? Because you jumped to a conclusion to prop up your stupid straw man argument. 

Wow, careful internet tough guy, you might blow out a blood vessel. Gase has also worked with Champ Kelly.

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

VP of Player Personnel > Assistant VP of Player Personnel 

Nothing is more concrete from a fan’s perspective than that. 

I don’t see how this is difficult. Douglas worked himself into a higher role than any of the other candidates. It’s why he’s probably the most expensive and the most highly thought of of the 4.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

OK, how much of a say, other than to say he gets along with so and so by sitting in interviews, does Gase have?  

You know compared to how its done, where exactly? 

It gets comical every time we hire someone

I don't know. Like you said, it's comical. Gase was hired, presumably he, Mac, and Johnson, talked about, and agreed on the direction the team was going to go. What happened after the hire that led to Mac's firing is somewhat of a mystery. All i know is, to let a Gm spend a ton of money on free agents, and run the draft, a year after drafting a FQB,and then fire him, is unexplainable to me.

38 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Why isn’t Kelly the VP of Player Personnel then? The GM’s trust has been earned to a higher degree from someone else rather than Kelly or else he would be the next guy under him, instead, he’s the second hand man’s second hand man. Kelly could be great but no matter how stupid you think job titles are, they are given out and earned. 

Someone else earned that job rather than Kelly. Douglas has that job. 

Dude I just want them to get it right, I think Douglas seems most qualified based on what we know from a reputation, resume and experience aspect. It’s not because of yada, yada he was the first guy mentioned, yada, yada. It’s because from everything a fan can gather — he seems more ready.

14 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Wow, careful internet tough guy, you might blow out a blood vessel. Gase has also worked with Champ Kelly.

Internet tough guy? Where was I getting "tough"?

Sounds like you're projecting to me. Perhaps you're the guy who should relax before blowing a blood vessel, champ. I'm currently relaxing on a couch with a puppy on my lap contemplating golf later today. I'm real worked up over here. Lol. 

"Internet tough guy" lol. Gfy

50 minutes ago, genot said:

I don't buy into the Mac was horrible narrative. His last three drafts have been good. I believe the last two have been very good. He managed the cap well enough, where we were able to sign everybody we wanted to in free agency, with a big chunk of money left for next off season. He's made some mistakes with regards to trades. He also has made some very good moves to bring talent here via trade.

They were 4-12.  After 2 good drafts?  How does that happen?  Do you buy into the Bowles was horrible narrative? We were able to sign everybody we wanted in free agency?  What about the people not willing to come?  They weren't able to sign Barr or Cousins, were they? 

12 minutes ago, genot said:

I don't know. Like you said, it's comical. Gase was hired, presumably he, Mac, and Johnson, talked about, and agreed on the direction the team was going to go. What happened after the hire that led to Mac's firing is somewhat of a mystery. All i know is, to let a Gm spend a ton of money on free agents, and run the draft, a year after drafting a FQB, is unexplainable to me.

Unexplainable?  How is this hard to see?  When they talked, the team had a ton of money and #3 overall.  They had huge holes at C, LG, CB, OLB(DE/Rush End, whatever you want to call it) and WR.  They drafted a DT and signed an ILB.  They added Bell, who the coach apparently isn't in love with.  Crowder is a nice piece, but despite the draft position and money there still is no #1.  They did zero to address C, they are starting Kelvin Beachum at LT and Brandon Shell in the final year of his deal, coming off a serious knee injury at RT.  Their sole hope at OLB is a 3rd round pick that admittedly bombed all interviews and ran a 5.02, who they hope will play at 235 pounds.  They refused to go after the TE the coach loved who signed a 1 year deal for $1.5M with $100K guaranteed.  Inexplicable, indeed.  Maybe the GM didn't keep with the plan and hold up his end of the bargain.

4 minutes ago, freestater said:

Internet tough guy? Where was I getting "tough"?

Sounds like you're projecting to me. Perhaps you're the guy who should relax before blowing a blood vessel, champ. I'm currently relaxing on a couch with a puppy on my lap contemplating golf later today. I'm real worked up over here. Lol. 

"Internet tough guy" lol. Gfy

Not a tough guy!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Agreed....f**k this guy, I don’t care how many accolades get showered on him “new, best GM”, the Johnson’s are cheap, just like the Wilpons, that’s reality, without a QB the Jets would be wondering for another 40 years in the desert with their bargain basement Front Office, their “Scouts” have needed their glasses adjusted for generations, different owners, doesn’t matter, their “Scouts” have ALWAYS been near the bottom or probably the worst in the NFL, same as the Mets “Scouts”, this Alonso kid is about the only premier position player the Mets have ever come up with since Darryl Strawberry was picked first (how difficult was that?), this is over a 50 year period haha.....same type of “success” over in Jet land.

Nothing you can do as a fan but gripe.  Thinking these Owners will change is pure fantasy.

So why go into our pockets and pay Douglas more than than want to?  That’s their thinking.

Hmmm if you are right and the Jets ownership doesn’t get the best guy because they were “cheap” then they should just sell the team. 

Make their huge profits and go home.  

This is madness. 

The Jets have to get someone in here who knows what the hell they are doing. They can not keep paying people the lowest amounts HC and staff included and expect SB level results.  

Herm and staff was one of the lowest paid as was Mangini and Rex and we all saw that Bowles staff couldn’t compete with a Championship High school in some cases.  

It is embarrassing the way the Jets handle themselves and the old canard that they have a secret plan is laughable at this point.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, JetNation said:

Bad news Jets fans: As of *right now*, Joe Douglas turned the Jets down. It ONLY came down to money.

Maybe cheap Jets wisen up and give him the # he wants – they're less than a million per year apart – otherwise, it's Champ Kelly time

— Jason McIntyre (@jasonrmcintyre) June 5, 2019

This tweet literally tells us nothing. Joe Douglas turned the Jets down as of right now over money? So that could change if the Jets offer more money? So in other words they are *gasp* negotiating?!

Gotta say, smart move out of McIntyre. Reads all the other reports out there from actual reporters and rewords them to form a can't lose narrative that gives him clicks in the process. If Douglas signs with the Jets, the Jets "wisened up", like he said they should. If Douglas stays put, it was the Jets cheaping out, like he said they were. The only limb he went out on is saying it will be Champ Kelly if its not Douglas.