So when do we get rid of Trumaine Johnson?

As optimistic as I am about this upcoming season I am very concerned about the secondary.  I know Bowles stunk and was an empty suit head coach but Trumaine Johnson, who is supposed to be our #1 cover corner and at the very least the starting #2 and an every down player, his problems last year were not just schemes or lack therof.  The guy looked slow -- 2015 Darrelle Revis slow.

I know we can't cut him now and we can't even get a replacement it's too late but this guy absolutely has to be cut next offseason.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

I HATE Trumaine Johnson. Guy is absolutely atrocious. However, it is simply to late to cut him. 

Let him play this year under Williams. Whether he performs well or not, cut him. The guy showing up late to practice or meetings or whatever it was is simply the type of players we don’t need in this locker room. Like you cannot be a bad teammate and suck on the field. Similar how to fat girls cannot be mean. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

As optimistic as I am about this upcoming season I am very concerned about the secondary.  I know Bowles stunk and was an empty suit head coach but Trumaine Johnson, who is supposed to be our #1 cover corner and at the very least the starting #2 and an every down player, his problems last year were not just schemes or lack therof.  The guy looked slow -- 2015 Darrelle Revis slow.

I know we can't cut him now and we can't even get a replacement it's too late but this guy absolutely has to be cut next offseason.

unless i'm mistaken he's got too much of a cap hit through 2020.  after that he can be cut without much hit.  but really.  he just got to the jets and when a team goes 4-12, it means nobody is playing well.  where do you start to make changes and where do you stop?

If he's on the roster next season (2020), he'll count $15 million against the cap. Even if we cut him, he'll have a dead cap hit of $12 million, saving only $3 million. The situation is better if he's cut before the 2021 season, but is still not great ($9 mill cap savings / $8 mill dead cap). But honestly, if he plays this season like he did last season, you have to take the $3 mill savings in 2020 and wave him goodbye. Just an atrocious contract.

• Upvote 1

Some of the best defensive players in the game gave up under todd-kacy

and TJ was not near as bad as Revis quitting season - kacy was the worst and had a golden ticket from todd - that's over now

TJ had his career years with GW and I would bet he bounces back this year - any ideas to make it fun?

• Post of the Week 1

Robby was scorching Tru at mandatory camp according to Andy Vasquez.

Tru is horrible, a liability.   What makes it even worse is his contract, a genuine morale buster for the guys that are outperforming their respective deals.

Expecting more out of him than what we saw last season is likely just wishful thinking.    Even if Tru does perform at a higher level than he showed,  it will be marginal.

I believe this will be his last year with the Jets.  They will eat the rest ala the Redskins Haynesworth deal.  Sometimes you just cut your losses.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

So you're not interested in how he plays this year?  You say, just cut him after the season?  

I hope you are more optimistic in your life than you are as a Jets fan.

• Upvote 2

A couple of thoughts:

l’m hopeful that Williams will bring the best out of Johnson as he played well for him in the past.

Also, Johnson received a lot of guaranteed money making it costly to cut or trade him till after the third year of his contract.

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I'm not looking to get rid of him yet.  If he fails under Greg Williams, then take whatever the 2020 cap hit would be I think like $12 million but with an 11 million salary cut.  The cap savings would be like $15 million.    If he plays through 2020, then the cut is simple because you save way more salary than the cap hit unlike next year. 

58 minutes ago, Alka said:

So you're not interested in how he plays this year?  You say, just cut him after the season?  

I hope you are more optimistic in your life than you are as a Jets fan.

One can be optimistic about guys like Daryl Roberts,  Parry Nickerson, Deontay Burnett and Frankie Luvu.  They all showed at least something promising.

Trumaine Johnson was a complete and total disgrace.  Nobody is obligated to even allow a positive thought to cross their mind when it comes to Tru... much less actually utter a flattering word about him.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Did.Tru take the money and tank very possible. Saying that I will give him a chance to prove himself. Played well for Williams in the past. Bowles and Rogers may have been an issue with him. If camp and pre season looks like the 2018 Tru say goodbye his being on the roster will have a negative impact, just my opinion.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I don't think they can? Johnson sucked really, really bad last season. We got less than minimum salary play out of this dingbat when we were paying him top corner money. That's a fact and I don't mean to preach to the choir, but two things:

1) This was a Mac acquisition. Remember this guy sucked. It also cannot be fixed over night.

2) Cutting/trading this guy would likely not be wise move given the salary cap wrong.

2 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Some of the best defensive players in the game gave up under todd-kacy

and TJ was not near as bad as Revis quitting season - kacy was the worst and had a golden ticket from todd - that's over now

TJ had his career years with GW and I would bet he bounces back this year - any ideas to make it fun?

Its always tough to question players' effort but I honestly agree with this - Bowles and Rogers inability to motivate the players or hold them even remotely accountable affected every player on the team.  Imagine being a player asked to put their body on the line for a coach like Bowles who let Jacksonville complete 10 consecutive slant patterns without making any change in scheme whatsoever.   Or how about watching your HC punt down 2 scores and basically give up - if he is giving up why exactly are you going to go 100%?

Trumaine also wasn't used properly and I think if this team is winning, EVERYONE'S effort is going to change.  I dont think he became a poor NFL player overnight.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, jack48 said:

isn't most of the guaranteed stuff gone after this season?

yes.  But for cap purposes, still $12 million unamortized from bonus.  Save $11 mill on salary next year but swallow $12 mill in dead cap.  $15 mill cap hit if he stays.

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

yes.  But for cap purposes, still $12 million unamortized from bonus.  Save $11 mill on salary next year but swallow $12 mill in dead cap.  $15 mill cap hit if he stays.

If what you get is 2018 Tru i just feel his negative impact out weighs the cap hit. Just me! Thanks for the break down.

this thread is so dumb, i am sorry but if we "get rid" of Trumaine Johnson...who is playing corner? you got some juice in those legs @Philc1? we are so thin at the position and the solution is to get rid of (as sad as it is) one of the best players at the position for us?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Ghost said:

I HATE Trumaine Johnson. Guy is absolutely atrocious. However, it is simply to late to cut him. 

Let him play this year under Williams. Whether he performs well or not, cut him. The guy showing up late to practice or meetings or whatever it was is simply the type of players we don’t need in this locker room. Like you cannot be a bad teammate and suck on the field. Similar how to fat girls cannot be mean

LOL. Mean fat girls are 30% of the Democrat party 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

this thread is so dumb, i am sorry but if we "get rid" of Trumaine Johnson...who is playing corner? you got some juice in those legs @Philc1? we are so thin at the position and the solution is to get rid of (as sad as it is) one of the best players at the position for us?

2017 Tru one of the better CB’s in the league. Was 2018 really even one of the best CB’s on the Jets my opinion not so much. Just effort wise he had a negative impact on the D as a whole. 

5 hours ago, Ghost said:

Let him play this year under Williams. Whether he performs well or not, cut him. The guy showing up late to practice or meetings or whatever it was is simply the type of players we don’t need in this locker room. Like you cannot be a bad teammate and suck on the field. Similar how to fat girls cannot be mean. 

I am in total agreement with your entire post.

Although there is an outlier to your girl theory.  You ever been to Pennsylvania or Southern NJ? hahahaha.

1 hour ago, Bocajetfan said:

2017 Tru one of the better CB’s in the league. Was 2018 really even one of the best CB’s on the Jets my opinion not so much. Just effort wise he had a negative impact on the D as a whole. 

if u say so....but i remember Claiborne having a bunch of dumb holding penalties....

Just now, Bocajetfan said:

Agreed both were Vets that played like trash. Go with youth and see if they at least give you effort and development.

so we are going to throw out Perry Nickerson, Poole, Deryl Roberts, Derick Jones, and Jeremy Clark? at least Tru gives you potential for big time play under GW...the rest of these guys are trash.

3 hours ago, Bocajetfan said:

Did.Tru take the money and tank very possible. Saying that I will give him a chance to prove himself. Played well for Williams in the past. Bowles and Rogers may have been an issue with him. If camp and pre season looks like the 2018 Tru say goodbye his being on the roster will have a negative impact, just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

so we are going to throw out Perry Nickerson, Poole, Deryl Roberts, Derick Jones, and Jeremy Clark? at least Tru gives you potential for big time play under GW...the rest of these guys are trash.

I said this earlier if Tru can show he can play at even close to his prior level under Williams great. If you are getting 2018 Tru go with one of the CB’s you listed. Or maybe a camp cut pick-up.