Polite cut

AbstraKt

48 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Polite went unclaimed off waivers and was signed to the Seahawks PS? Yikes. Didn’t see that until just now.

That tells me he was probably going to be a 5th round pick at best had Macc not taken him in the 3rd.

Or the reports of his missed practices have gone around the league and everyone is aware of what he is 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Or the reports of his missed practices have gone around the league and everyone is aware of what he is 

Or teams were able too interview him at the combine and his pro day before he was drafted and could see this coming. It's not like he had a very successful offseason and other teams were caught off guard. Well, just one.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes because that’s the expectation. To never miss. You nailed it!

It would be nice too have a GM who can make picks in the second and third round and they actually play one snap for us. Pac is at Raider90210 levels, just on the other side. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, RobR said:

Or teams were able too interview him at the combine and his pro day before he was drafted and could see this coming. It's not like he had a very successful offseason and other teams were caught off guard. Well, just one.

I guarantee you that when Maccagnan goes to buy something for cash, people test him and short him his change, with the ready "I'm sorry my mistake" if he catches it, and I don't care if catches it every time, I just guarantee you he's tested more than the average person.

That was our GM...unbelievable...."Well, just one" hahaha...nicely done.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, RobR said:

It would be nice too have a GM who can make picks in the second and third round and they actually play one snap for us. Pac is at Raider90210 levels, just on the other side. 

Oh yes JUST 1, is that too much to ask? hahaha

Yeah, but the worst was Maccagnan and Bowles refusing to let Hackenberg on the field for 1 single snap even in totally meaningless end of season mathematically eliminated games, to cover themselves.  And when Maccagnan took a Safety at 6 the following year, instead of Mahomes or Watson, it was a defacto inference that Hackenberg actually had a chance to play in the NFL, when he knew full well he wasn't...unreal even when thank God he's gone, you still have to despise Maccagnan.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes because that’s the expectation. To never miss. You nailed it!

There’s a gray area between “perfect” and “Mike Maccagnan” where all GM’s in the league fall. The further away from the latter, the more we’ll like him.

It’s called every GM in the history of sports. 

They all f*ck up. 

Half the first round picks bust every year. 

Not just us. 

Unless you’re a SOJ douche. 

Which I know you’re not. 

5 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Yeah, but the worst was Maccagnan and Bowles refusing to let Hackenberg on the field for 1 single snap even in totally meaningless end of season mathematically eliminated games, to cover themselves.

I like your posts but I have problems with this one. Bowles did the absolute right thing by not letting Hack ever step on the field during a meaningful game. He ended up getting benched after one game in the AFL.

He should have never been drafted and it was as obvious as turning on a light bulb. He was destined for failure by anyone that ever watched him play. Thanks Mac.....you suck.

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, RobR said:

I like your posts but I have problems with this one. Bowles did the absolute right thing by not letting Hack ever step on the field during a meaningful game. He ended up getting benched after one game in the AFL.

He should have never been drafted and it was as obvious as turning on a light bulb. He was destined for failure by anyone that ever watched him play. Thanks Mac.....you suck.

We all knew Macc would never straight up cut Hack—pride. So he cooked up a “conditional trade” that predictably netted Jets nadda in the end. But hey, he didn’t cut him!

30 minutes ago, RobR said:

Concur.

Happy?

36 minutes ago, RobR said:

Agreed.  The guy didn't belong even on a college field after being drafted by the pros.

The only reason why I mention giving Hackenberg playing time in totally meaningless action was due to the most infintessimal chance that somehow the Jets could catch lightning in a bottle with him, what could it have hurt?  FIrst and foremost it would have hurt Maccagnan and he knew that.

But again, the very worst part was not just the incredibly bad pick in the first place but refusing to acknowledge the colossal mistake in the following draft.

I just always felt from Day 1 that both Maccagnan and Bowles knew they were incredibly over matched in their jobs they were given and that's all they cared about to the huge detriment of the team, the organization and the fans...and it lasted for a very long 4 Years.  Mangini was only given 2 and helped build a roster that went to the AFCChamp game 2 consecutive years.  Look what Maccagnan left...couldn't even hit a 2nd or 3rd rd pick...ever.

18 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

They all f*ck up. 

Not just us. 

Which I know you’re not. 

They all f*ck up, but none at the mathematical rate that Macc did. Hence why he was objectively the worst GM in the NFL. It’s not even a question. No GM drafted a higher % of players who were out of the league 2-3 years later. At some point you have to pick good players once in a while. After all, it’s a “crapshoot”, right? Then why was he so “unlucky”, year in and year out?

The “it’s a crapshoot” argument only goes so far. For how often Macc failed, it was as if he was betting on the wrong side on purpose. Using @Paradis board each of the 5 drafts would have yielded far better results.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They all f*ck up, but none at the mathematical rate that Macc did. Hence why he was objectively the worst GM in the NFL. It’s not even a question. No GM drafted a higher % of players who were out of the league 2-3 years later. At some point you have to pick good players once in a while. After all, it’s a “crapshoot”, right? Then why was he so “unlucky”, year in and year out?

The “it’s a crapshoot” argument only goes so far. For how often Macc failed, it was as if he was betting on the wrong side on purpose. Using[mention=28612]Paradis[/mention] board each of the 5 drafts would have yielded far better results.

Exactly.....Total Failure at such an alarming astronomical percentage, and when I say "total failure" it is just that.  Wtf were he and his "scouts" doing for 4 years?  They had to have been doing something with their computers totally unrelated to football much of the time because only that might explain the level of ineptitude.  How is it that virtually EVERY one of his draft picks were not part of the NFL at all, not even on anyone's Practice Squads not even 11 months after having been drafted?

Actually anyone with the slightest amount of critical thinking skills would probably come to the conclusion that Maccagnan was sent by some team to TOTALLY sabotage the NJ Jet Franchise.  No one could be that bad if they TRIED.

Nah man, that "Every GM" makes mistakes is no excuse you can use with Maccagnan.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

They all f*ck up. 

Not just us. 

Which I know you’re not. 

Worst Haiku Ever

PS, we're good,  just hope this ****er goes straight North now. Would rather not get deployed by FEMA, f the OT, worried about too many people. We're on Warning now,  and I'm part of the damage assessment/USAR team for the city. This thing is way too close for comfort.  

And please, to anyone that does so, Pray for the Bahamas...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The “it’s a crapshoot” argument only goes so far. For how often Macc failed, it was as if he was betting on the wrong side on purpose. Using[mention=28612]Paradis[/mention] board each of the 5 drafts would have yielded far better results.

People who claim these things are crapshoots just confuse a variable of randomness and volatility with a situation of complete randomness. 

The best models account for randomness and obviously such models exist out there in terms of nfl analytics and data science. The Jets unsurprisingly didn’t really believe in that stuff until fairly recently, hence why we consistently suck worse than other teams at drafting. 

Everyone makes mistakes does not equal the process is completely random. If it were completely random, the seventh round pick should be just as valuable as the first rounder. 

• Upvote 3

What’s beyond baffling to me is, it seems the Jets let Maccagnan go at this draft completely on his own without the assistance of Gase and/or Williams, while he was on shaky enough ground to be fired a few weeks after the draft. I don’t like the idea of keeping him for the draft, but can somewhat get not wanting to build a whole new dept right into the draft, but how on earth do. You let him run this draft if he was that close to being fired. At a min, should have had Gase and Williams in his ear telling him who to take. Total waste of a year of draft capital....

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

What’s beyond baffling to me is, it seems the Jets let Maccagnan go at this draft completely on his own without the assistance of Gase and/or Williams, while he was on shaky enough ground to be fired a few weeks after the draft. I don’t like the idea of keeping him for the draft, but can somewhat get not wanting to build a whole new dept right into the draft, but how on earth do. You let him run this draft if he was that close to being fired. At a min, should have had Gase and Williams in his ear telling him who to take. Total waste of a year of draft capital....

Macc's genius was that he did not want coaches to influence the scouts. He wanted things to just magically fall into place like the big bang theory.

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Macc's genius was that he did not want coaches to influence the scouts. He wanted things to just magically fall into place like the big bang theory.

Well, that’s relatively new, because the first few drafts had a very heavy Bowles influence to them

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

People who claim these things are crapshoots just confuse a variable of randomness and volatility with a situation of complete randomness. 

The best models account for randomness and obviously such models exist out there in terms of nfl analytics and data science. The Jets unsurprisingly didn’t really believe in that stuff until fairly recently, hence why we consistently suck worse than other teams at drafting. 

Everyone makes mistakes does not equal the process is completely random. If it were completely random, the seventh round pick should be just as valuable as the first rounder. 

Even crapshoots have a defined probability of outcomes over time. Pretty clear Polite and Hackenberg, being the 2 most glaring examples, were either very lowly rated by most other teams or on the don't pick list altogether. Macagnan being a  scout did not have that filter, to see data and know simply these picks were way too high. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

The Big Bang theory isn’t magical at all.

It’s supported by the presence of cosmic background radiation, the relative abundance of hydrogen and helium, and Hubble’s law.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

He was a true artist. 

Never appreciated enough in their time, I suppose.  Maybe Pac is the correct one all along?

It's like Macc took a T/F test and got a 0 %.  When you do that it means you know the right answers but get them wrong on purpose.  True artistry and genius right there.

• Upvote 1