The #1 overall pick.

9 minutes ago, SR24 said:

We'll regret the day we pass on Chase Young kids about as can't miss as you can get and fills a huge need. I wish we could get both but I haven't seen Thomas drop out of the top 10 in any mock I've looked at yet but look at that C from Wisconsin man he'd be a solid addition

Baidasz. Pronounced "badass". I'd love that kid added. That's the kinda jersey I'd buy lol. 

No matter where the Jets pick in the first round, they need to take the best O lineman on the board.  If they have the 1st pick and can get an extra pick or 2 in the draft to trade down a few slots, they need to do that but still pick the OL wherever they land, and if JD is really committed to upgrading the OL, he'll draft another OL in the 2nd or 3rd round.  

On 11/3/2019 at 3:32 PM, freestater said:

We're going to end up with it. We are the worst team in the league. It's going to be interesting...do we draft a QB? Trade for a ransom? Are there any "cant miss" DTs?

No the Jets will win a few meaningless games and screw their draft position, but they should be able to draft a LT with the 1st pick and another top OL center or G with their 2nd rounder and Douglas will still pick up more mid and late round OL, not to mention he'll be looking to sign FA's. Look at Dallas last night, it all starts with the guys up front.

• Upvote 1

Douglas needed to close the deal and trade adams and quinnen williams and be sittimg with 3 1st rounders plus more picks.

then you could take young if he is there and still have 1st round ammo to address the oline

Douglas missed his chance to reset this team and player value, especially jamal adams will only go down.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Agreed but they have to go offense 

Hopefully we can accumulate enough picks thru a Jamal Adams trade and a trade down (from the top 3 or wherever we pick) where we can get a LT, a couple interior OL, a WR, and still perhaps have a pick or 2 we can allocate to pass rush and/or a CB.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Douglas needed to close the deal and trade adams and quinnen williams and be sittimg with 3 1st rounders plus more picks.

then you could take young if he is there and still have 1st round ammo to address the oline

Douglas missed his chance to reset this team and player value, especially jamal adams will only go down.

Trading Quinnen Williams is financially nonsensical, unfortunately.  Trading him prior to the 2020 draft would incur a $16.3M dead cap hit PLUS an $8.9M cap PENALTY. 

Yes, we're projected to have $54M in cap space in 2020 at this moment but that money will go quickly as we have so many needs to fill.  Adding a dent of $25M (I believe it would impact the cap immediately since it would be prior to June 1) into that number would be crippling.  

Trade Jamal and then trade down from our top 5 pick slot.  

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hopefully we can accumulate enough picks thru a Jamal Adams trade and a trade down (from the top 3 or wherever we pick) where we can get a LT, a couple interior OL, a WR, and still perhaps have a pick or 2 we can allocate to pass rush and/or a CB.  

They only need LT, RT, C, RG, LG, ED, CB, WR and depth. I figure FA and the draft over the next 17 years might be able to fix it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Trading Quinnen Williams is financially nonsensical, unfortunately.  Trading him prior to the 2020 draft would incur a $16.3M dead cap hit PLUS an $8.9M cap PENALTY. 

Yes, we're projected to have $54M in cap space in 2020 at this moment but that money will go quickly as we have so many needs to fill.  Adding a dent of $25M (I believe it would impact the cap immediately since it would be prior to June 1) into that number would be crippling.  

Trade Jamal and then trade down from our top 5 pick slot.  

I care less and less and less about FA $, building through Fa does not work.  We have to break the cycle of drafting these non premium positions then letting them get to the last year and dumping them for peanuts.

The jets always do things in non gutsy half measures.

If the offer was good enough damn the cap and cash in while this guy has good value.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I care less and less and less about FA $, building through Fa does not work.  We have to break the cycle of drafting these non premium positions then letting them get to the last year and dumping them for peanuts.

The jets always do things in non gutsy half measures.

If the offer was good enough damn the cap and cash in while this guy has good value.

No, building thru FA does not work.  But you need to be able to field a team.  We have about 17 needs and eventually will need to spend money this offseason on the positions we can't address in the draft.  We also will need cap space to sign our many draft picks.  If we're looking to end up with multiple first round picks, those picks will cost a pretty significant chunk of change on their own.  

Putting a $25M dent into the cap isn't feasible.  It's not happening dude.  

Also, you're forgetting that the team that takes on Quinnen would be taking on a massive contract on their end too.  Just how much draft capital would they be willing to give us for an under-performing DT who doesn't rush the passer with a big contract?

Just because teams were inquiring about Quinnen at the trade deadline doesn't mean they were offering anything good for him.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, building thru FA does not work.  But you need to be able to field a team.  We have about 17 needs and eventually will need to spend money this offseason on the positions we can't address in the draft.  We also will need cap space to sign our many draft picks. 

Putting a $25M dent into the cap isn't feasible.  It's not happening dude.  

For a  team that has no balls it is not happening.

I guess we can use that money for premium players like kalil or tru johsnon or mosley

Endless cycle, handcuffed to low value positions, always have to spend cap money and thus never have any comp picks.

The team is utter garbage and has tons of needs.  I'd gladly eat 25 million in cap space if we get 2 or 3 high picks for a guy like williams.

• Upvote 1

We are definitely winning some meaningless games to hurt our draft position. It’s the Jets way.  We prob beat the Giants this week (even though they’re better than us). I can’t believe I have to root for the tank again this year. I thought that was behind us but obviously not. 

On 11/3/2019 at 3:32 PM, joewilly12 said:

IF Sam Darnold continues to falter you have no choice but to draft the best QB in the draft. 

I've been a Darnold fan since before we drafted him - check my post history and you'll see I was ecstatic when we drafted him and I've always defended him. But after these past three games, I've been forced to exit the Darnold party bus and agree with this assessment. I don't think I'm over-reacting or rushing to judgment, either. I'm just pretty convinced at this point that his penchant for boneheaded decisions is part of his DNA--sort of like Brett Favre, but with more of the bad and less of the good. I don't see coaching or a better lineup fixing that. Furthermore, I'm afraid that 2020 and maybe even 2021 will turn into wasted years because the Jets will refuse to admit they made a mistake instead of cutting their losses. They have a habit of doing that (ie, Sanchez, Geno, Hackenberg).

On 11/3/2019 at 3:33 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Yountrade it.  But you take a qb in the 3rd or 4th round.

If darney sucks again next year, you will end up w a high pick again and trevor lawrence is on the table.

Intentionally waiting two years for the QB prize is how we lost out on Mahomes and Watson. (That along with Maccagnan's foolish commitment to Hackenberg.)

IF Sam Darnold continues to falter you have no choice but to draft the best QB in the draft. 

That’s silly. You draft another QB and throw him into a situation devoid of blue chip Protection or weapons that way.

You trade that pick for a kings ransom (what we should have done last draft) and draft OL OL and then maybe WR with the first three picks. If we have the number one pick it is finally an opportunity to corral the legitimate capital for a real rebuild.

Then you trade adams for another first and franchise Robbie and get a 3rd for him

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

25 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Darnold is currently 32nd in DYAR and DVOA. There's also a pretty wide gap between 31st (D. Jones) and Darnold. He's the worst quarterback in the league currently by a wide margin.

All the more reason to start looking at the QB's that will be available in the 2020 NFL Draft. 

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

I've been a Darnold fan since before we drafted him - check my post history and you'll see I was ecstatic when we drafted him and I've always defended him. But after these past three games, I've been forced to exit the Darnold party bus and agree with this assessment. I don't think I'm over-reacting or rushing to judgment, either. I'm just pretty convinced at this point that his penchant for boneheaded decisions is part of his DNA--sort of like Brett Favre, but with more of the bad and less of the good. I don't see coaching or a better lineup fixing that. Furthermore, I'm afraid that 2020 and maybe even 2021 will turn into wasted years because the Jets will refuse to admit they made a mistake instead of cutting their losses. They have a habit of doing that (ie, Sanchez, Geno, Hackenberg).

This is nuts. He only had a pair of really bad games. Look at the environment that he is in and the players around him. There is no way that somebody could show so much promise and then be branded a bust after two or three games you guys are jumping to conclusions way too fast

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

Intentionally waiting two years for the QB prize is how we lost out on Mahomes and Watson. (That along with Maccagnan's foolish commitment to Hackenberg.)

Macagnan has DESTROYED this roster:

No offensive line

No WRs

No CBs

This is after he had 5 drafts, $150 million in cap room

20 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We are definitely winning some meaningless games to hurt our draft position. It’s the Jets way.  We prob beat the Giants this week (even though they’re better than us). I can’t believe I have to root for the tank again this year. I thought that was behind us but obviously not. 

I want to beat the Giants I don’t care if it costs us 3 places in the draft 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

21 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I would love for that to happen but it's a pretty tall order to fill all those positions in one draft. Douglas has his work cut out for him this off-season that's for sure.

Chase Young is the emotional pick.  Andrew Thomas is probably the smartest pick.  Both are almost certainly top-5 picks and could both be top-3 picks so I don't think it matters which slot we are in.  Take whichever is available but pick Thomas if he's there.  If there are a few solid OTs that rise up the boards by next April, then trading down becomes attractive.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If we have the 1st or 2nd pick - there are supposedly two QB's worthy of 1&2....

We trade down to the highest bidder and use every pick to draft OL.  

I know we need a lot but OL allows your team to compete week-in and week-out.

Many of us have been proclaiming this for 5 years. JD will be on trial next draft. ?

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Chase Young is the emotional pick.  Andrew Thomas is probably the smartest pick.  Both are almost certainly top-5 picks and could both be top-3 picks so I don't think it matters which slot we are in.  Take whichever is available but pick Thomas if he's there.  If there are a few solid OTs that rise up the boards by next April, then trading down becomes attractive.  

This sums it up perfectly IMO.