Gase and Darnold are not a match

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

This fan base is atrocious. They haven’t had a QB in 60 years but they can’t tolerate anything but perfection when a 22 year old stud lands on their laps... the kid threw for 270, 2 TDs, and a game winning drive... without Bell or a TE on the field. Was it his best game? Of course not, but this one goes in the positive column for ANY QB in the NFL

homer-confused.jpg

10 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm not blasting the guy.  If anything, and my track record clearly would show, I like him as a player.  

However, it does no good to ignore he's very inconsistent and was so today.  Every QB misses throws, but he missed a few crucial ones today.  The INT was a very bad play.  Those were the downs.  He also made some very good plays and lead us to the win.  Those are the good.  He continues to grow and I have no problem with that.

Yeah, he is 22. He has shown he can make all the throws, he can avoid the rush and be the reason the team wins games because we certainly aren't winning games because of our elite running game or elite defense or elite special teams. And while the team is 5-8, he is 5-5 with 1 one of those losses coming while playing with mono. 

That's good news for this franchise. I watch him play and I'm confident we have our QB of the future. I also see room to improve which usually happens as a QB matures/gets older.  

QBs like Brady/Rivers all got better as they got older. So assuming there is growth, we are in great shape. 

Do I love Gase's play calling today? Not really. We were playing an awful secondary and ran the ball too much. We should have been airing it out today and trying to expose their DBs.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

This fan base is atrocious. They haven’t had a QB in 60 years but they can’t tolerate anything but perfection when a 22 year old stud lands on their laps... the kid threw for 270, 2 TDs, and a game winning drive... without Bell or a TE on the field. Was it his best game? Of course not, but this one goes in the positive column for ANY QB in the NFL

Well said.  

Last year Darnold had a 57pct Comp pct. This year it's at 63pct

Last year Darnold had a 77QBRating, this year its at 84. 

Last year Darnold was 4-9 as a starter, this year he is 5-5. 

Good progress for a 22 year old. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, JiF said:

This team is absolute trash and they’re 5-5 together.  Idk, I think Gase sucks but I’m kind of encouraged by the fact they’re overcoming a lot of adversity and are .500 when Sam is healthy. 

This is why I don't get about all of the anti Gase stuff. 

What record should he realistically have right now with this roster?

A lot of people on this board had the Jets going anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7 with a healthy Darnold. Right now, The Jets are 5-5 with Darnold in the lineup. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

MIKE SHANAHAN 

Ya know, the guy who coached up Kyle since he was a guppy and has spent the last 3 years advising the 49ers.

Like I’ve said for the last year and change, I don’t give a rats dick if he’s in his 60’s.

So is Belichick. So is Carrol. So is Reid.

This was the move to make. Throw the bank at a legit offensive genius who has proven to adapt to a QB’s strengths and pumped out 1,000 yard rushers by the truckload.

So was Mc Carthy. Just saying. And he coached Favre and Rodgers in case no one noticed.

2 hours ago, PS17 said:

Darnold needs a teacher who actually knows the fundamentals of the QB position. Like Shanahan, Reid, Harbaugh. Gase is a glorified playcaller living off of Peyton Manning. He is clueless when it comes to the basics and development. 

Darnold is extremely talented but he is raw and Gase hasn't done a thing to help him.

And Ryan Tannehill is playing pretty strong without Gase. 

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I am not trying to place blame on one more than another.  Both have plenty of blame to take for today and in general for the struggles this season.

It is absolutely 100% clear to me that Gase wants a strictly straight drop back passer.  Someone that scans the field, sits in the pocket and deals from there.  Just like Manning.  

That isn't Darnold and it never is going to be. That is also clear to me.  Just like Tannehill.  

This situation right now is why our ownership group and org structure is dumb.  The owners know they needed to hire someone to aid Darnold. They thought they did. Instead, they hired a guy that really doesn't want a QB like him, and doesn't want to adapt his system to suit what he has.

I don't know if Darnold will ever be the guy.  Might not be.  Darnold and Gase will never be the combo though.

There are not enough Lasik surgeries to fix Gase's vision.

Was thinking about this a bit today but in regards to Jackson and Baltimore.

Last season Jackson looked like he never played QB before, couldnt read a defense, etc.

I remember, watching the playoffs, thinking they made a mistake picking him.

They tailored a system to suit his strengths and he is literally an MVP candidate.

I get the Baltimore is a talented team all around but clearly there is evidence to suggest a system designed after your QBs strength is beneficial to the team.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Well said.  

Last year Darnold had a 57pct Comp pct. This year it's at 63pct

Last year Darnold had a 77QBRating, this year its at 84. 

Last year Darnold was 4-9 as a starter, this year he is 5-5. 

Good progress for a 22 year old. 

He’s supposed to get better, isn’t he?

i think the issue in this thread is whether Sams skills are a good match for Gases system.

• Upvote 1

Was thinking about this a bit today but in regards to Jackson and Baltimore.
Last season Jackson looked like he never played QB before, couldnt read a defense, etc.
I remember, watching the playoffs, thinking they made a mistake picking him.
They tailored a system to suit his strengths and he is literally an MVP candidate.
I get the Baltimore is a talented team all around but clearly there is evidence to suggest a system designed after your QBs strength is beneficial to the team.

Jackson also has a great coach in Harbaugh and we have the professional excuse maker as our coach.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Very up and down.  Had a really bad int.  Missed a handful of open throws.  Looked rattled for the most part.  Did make a handful of plays too.  Very uneven.  That would be my take at least.

I was at the game and that a fair assessment. The first half he looked solid. There were a few drops including one by Thomas which should of been a td.  However I admit in the second half Sam struggled.  Some overthrows, bad pick, BUT he still made plays when needed.  Kid is only 22 and still learning but I still feel he is our guy as long as we protect him and call better plays

• Upvote 1

darnold left money on the table.  he missed or did not see targets that would have put the game away. not sure why.  almost seems like he gets lazy at times.  he can move, his arm is good and we have seen him go through progressions and make the correct read.  why does he lapse ??? where is his head really at ???

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

I missed most  the game today. How’d Sam look?

He was the winning QB. Thats what matters.  Led them to game winning drive when he hadn't played his best game.  Somehow that was lost with some fans.

3 hours ago, nico002 said:

So I'm guessing you're still coasting off Namath fumes?

4 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I am not trying to place blame on one more than another.  Both have plenty of blame to take for today and in general for the struggles this season.

It is absolutely 100% clear to me that Gase wants a strictly straight drop back passer.  Someone that scans the field, sits in the pocket and deals from there.  Just like Manning.  

That isn't Darnold and it never is going to be. That is also clear to me.  Just like Tannehill.  

This situation right now is why our ownership group and org structure is dumb.  The owners know they needed to hire someone to aid Darnold. They thought they did. Instead, they hired a guy that really doesn't want a QB like him, and doesn't want to adapt his system to suit what he has.

I don't know if Darnold will ever be the guy.  Might not be.  Darnold and Gase will never be the combo though.

That's impossible to tell this season. The Jets are a train wreck in the talent dept. Adam Gase did enough this season IMO to be the HC past this season. The only way we'll ever really be able to subject Gase to a fair evaluation is after an off season containing a successful draft and getting some of the players he thinks he needs to run his schemes. 

4 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

He also doesn't want bell. 

Basically he doesn't want to build he want his system and for us not to remember he can't make any adjustments and his system sucks.

3 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

That's impossible to tell this season. The Jets are a train wreck in the talent dept. Adam Gase did enough this season IMO to be the HC past this season. The only way we'll ever really be able to subject Gase to a fair evaluation is after an off season containing a successful draft and getting some of the players he thinks he needs to run his schemes. 

None of my post has anything to do with giving Gase or Darnold a fair evaluation or placing blame on one or the other.  

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Gase is a horrible coach who has only had a modicum of success with a hof QB who essentially ran everything.

He showed nothing at all in miami to suggest he would be mediocre let alone good here.

Gase has just been held back by all of his QBs not named Peyton Manning. Give him some talent at QB and watch what happens.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Just watched the game. Have to say Gase is a terrible coach. Game comes down to the field goal. And he doesn't try to get a couple more yards and content with the 44 harder. Just crazy.

You of course go for a couple more yards.

Same story over and over. Gase just not making smart decisions.

Glad we won.

At least he didn't take a knee.

/Herm

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

i think the issue in this thread is whether Sams skills are a good match for Gases system.

Not every player gets better. Some players actually get worse. 

The oline is horrible. Darnold is 22. That's usually a bad combo. Yet, Darnold is getting better. If gase is holding Darnold back then you must think Darnold is an all world player to overcome that, mono and still be 5-5 ad a starter while posting better numbers than last year.

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

9 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Not every player gets better. Some players actually get worse. 

The oline is horrible. Darnold is 22. That's usually a bad combo. Yet, Darnold is getting better. If gase is holding Darnold back then you must think Darnold is an all world player to overcome that, mono and still be 5-5 ad a starter while posting better numbers than last year.

“Supposed”. You may want to look it up.

2 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Just watched the game. Have to say Gase is a terrible coach. Game comes down to the field goal. And he doesn't try to get a couple more yards and content with the 44 harder. Just crazy.

You of course go for a couple more yards.

Same story over and over. Gase just not making smart decisions.

Glad we won.

2 more years of this clown

655262DF-DA99-4447-AA50-55A745016AB9.jpeg.5460e17814abd34c78f3070838a18bf3.jpeg