A safety is MVP of Super Bowl team ...

Dunnie

they showed mathieu trying to inspire the defense in the 4th qtr.  whatever he said apparently worked because they put some good pressure on garapollo from that point on.  i remember seeing one play where he read the power sweep and raced across the field to almost make the play.  i think mostert was the ball carrier.

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mathieu had 2x as many INTs (4) this year as Jamal has had in his career.  

Maybe when the NY Jets get a legitimate edge rusher and Jamal Adams is able to play in the secondary he will get more INT's,players who line up at the line of scrimmage have less of a chance at an INT. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Maybe when the NY Jets get a legitimate edge rusher and Jamal Adams is able to play in the secondary he will get more INT's,players who line up at the line of scrimmage have less of a chance at an INT. 

Yes, because in the first 2 years of his career, Jamal racked up tons of INTs at the traditional SS spot.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

This is a valid point.  But from what we have seen, coverage is his weakest skill, so perhaps the way he is being used now is the best for him.  I'd hate to see him get a big contract and then drop way more often into coverage but be mediocre at it.

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, because in the first 2 years of his career, Jamal racked up tons of INTs at the traditional SS spot.  

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

This is a valid point.  But from what we have seen, coverage is his weakest skill, so perhaps the way he is being used now is the best for him.  I'd hate to see him get a big contract and then drop way more often into coverage but be mediocre at it.

Without a legitimate pass rush any QB will pick apart any secondary in the NFL. 

Ironically Jamal Adams had more sacks then our 2019 #3 draft pick a defensive lineman. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Dcat said:

And the problem with that is the closer he gets to the LOS, the lower his value to the team drops.  It's not sustainable to use him as a pass rusher/LB exclusively or even the majority of the time.  He's not going to be fighting blockers the rest of his career. 

If we use him exclusively at the LOS, opposing offenses will adjust accordingly, and you won't see him picking up more than 2-3 sacks a year as opposed to the 6.5 he got this year.

And if the best argument you can muster is "well, if we get a legitimate EDGE Jamal will be unleashed", then that's just not a good reason to pay Jamal $16M+.  Just get the EDGE rusher however you can and move on from Jamal in that case.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Aint no but about it. He has the terrible hands, no intuition, average speed and clumsy feet. Not exactly a who’s who of traditional skills of a safety.

• Upvote 1

A safety was just inducted to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, in his first year of eligibility. His teammates and opposing players claimed he could change the course of a game by his disruptive play.

Would be nice if young Mr. Adams would display a little of his humility, maybe he’ll learn.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

His sack totals and tfl stats will go down and he will get cooked in coverage.

Jamal Adams will become just another SS if the jets ever get an edge rusher.

Let's pay him 16 mill a year though anyways.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Does anyone who doesn't take their marching orders from T0m Shane actually buy in to the narrative that Jamal Adams is only as valuable as the number of INT's he gets? I imagine anyone who wants to make an honest evaluation of his value understands this methodology is silly at best.

the shining good point GIF

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Does anyone who doesn't take their marching orders from T0m Shane actually buy in to the narrative that Jamal Adams is only as valuable as the number of INT's he gets? I imagine anyone who wants to make an honest evaluation of his value understands this methodology is silly at best.

Turnovers help you win, moreso than run stopping at the line.  The great safeties of our time have all created turnovers.  If you want to be mentioned in the same breath as great safeties and be paid like one you have to consistently generate turnovers.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If you're not forcing turnovers GTFO.  

The sacks are nice but not sustainable.  Offenses will adjust if we try to use Jamal the same next year.  3 sacks at most.  

7 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Aint no but about it. He has the terrible hands, no intuition, average speed and clumsy feet. Not exactly a who’s who of traditional skills of a safety.

His 40 time, (4.56). and 3 cone, (6.96), are about the norm for wide receivers.  He's mostly covering tight ends.  Hands not great, but speed and agility are there.