Comparing Becton with other Big Offensive Tackles The Last Twenty Years

Hello, whoever wants to read these facts,

As you know. I wasn't pleased with the first pick. But Mr. Douglas sees something in this young man. But we heard that from other Jet GMS. But as a Jet fan, I will have to pray that he can turn into a viable piece for the Jets moving forward. But I just want to show you what has happened in the last twenty years. I will provide facts, and you can take it from there. And please don't act childish, as some of you, who don't agree about my opinion. You could put all the thumbs down you want, but you don't have to insult me.  But here is the facts. I have provide every offensive tackle, who is 340 lbs or more, that was drafted since 1999. I also want to show you, how many lost weight, who was successful, and most important how many were left tackles.  This * means a tackle that played left tackle for more than 1 season.

*In 1999, L.J Shelton, was drafted in round 1, pick 21, and was 345 lbs. He started 127 out of 146 games at 345 lbs. He started 89 games at left tackle. 

In 1999 Aaron Gibson was picked in the first round, and he weighed 386 lbs, and was a first round bust.

Also in 1999, Derrick Fletcher at 374 lbs, was drafted in the 5th round, and he was a goner, too.

In 2000, Stocker McDougle was drafted in the 1st round, and he was 361 pounds. He played 81 games as a right tackle. But one other thing, he lost 21 pounds, and played at 340 lbs

In  2001, Leonard Davis was drafted  in the 1st round, pick 2, and he was 371 lbs. He went on to be a 3 time Pro Bowl. But he also lost 16 lbs, but he only played right tackle and guard. 

In 2001, the same year, Char Dorsey and Elliot Silvers, both were 348 lbs when drafted in the 7th round,, and didn't make the cut.

*In 2002, Bryant McKinnie, was drafted in the 1st round, pick 7, who weighed 343 lbs, started 162 out of 179 games, and weighed 355 lbs. So he gained 12 lbs.  He was a Pro Bowl player once. He played left tackle for entire career

In 2003, Todd Williams, was drafted in the 7th round weighing 340 lbs.  He played in 7 total games in 3 years. Never started a game. Found dead in his home from a stomach pain.  

In 2004,  Mike Williams, was drafted in the 1st round, pick 4, was 375 lbs who went down to 337 lbs, but was still a bust. He started 56 games for three teams, and was a right tackle/Guard. 

In 2004, that same year, Langston Walker, 2nd round pick, was drafted being 344 lbs. He started 82 games in his career as a Right Tackle. And played at 360 lbs so he gained weight.

In 2004, Stacey Andrews was drafted round 4, pick 123, and was 342 lbs. He went on to start 49 games out of 94. He played mostly guard and a few games at right tackle at 318 lbs..  

In 2005, Shawn Andrews was drafted in the first round, 16 pick, and he weighed in at 366 lbs. He made 2 Pro Bowls, but he was 331 lbs, and he played guard, and some right tackle. 

In  2005, the same year Max Starks got drafted in the 3rd round, weighing 350 lbs. He went up to 370 lbs, but went back down to 345 lbs. In 96 games for the Steelers he played Right tackle for 5 years and left tackle for 1. 

In 2005, the same year Carlos Joseph, 345 lbs, was drafted in the 7th round, and he didn't make it.

In 2008, Ryan O'Callaghan, was drafted in the fifth round, weighing 344 lbs, played for 5 years at 330 lbs at right tackle. He started 20 games at right tackle.

In 2009, Carl Nicks got drafted in the 2nd round as a guard at 341 lbs. He started 70 games, and made 2 Pro Bowls. He stood at 343 lbs.   

In 2009, the same year Brandon Keith, a tackle at 343 lbs, was drafted in round 7. But I found this interesting, at 345 lbs, Keith ran a 4.98 forty. He started 18 games with Arizona, and Minnesota, in a 4 year period. He played right tackle at 338 lbs. 

In 2010, Ramon Hankewood, at 341 lbs was drafted in the 6th round.  Played guard for 5 games at 334 lbs. Cut after that.

In 2011,  Marcus Cannon, 358 lbs, was drafted in the 5th round. He played in 106 games, and started 60 games at right tackle, but at 335 lbs. for the Patriots.

*In 2012, Cordy Glenn, at 345 lbs was drafted in round 2, pick 41, and has started in 95 games at 345 lbs. He is the only the 3rd left tackle that started at least 83 games at a weight over 340 lbs in last twenty years.

In 2017, David Sharpe, 343 lbs, was drafted in the 4th round. He has started 4 total games at right tackle, and at 330 lbs. He presently plays for the Raiders. 

In 2018, Orlando Brown,Jr., at 345 lbs, got drafted in the 3rd round, 83rd pick. He has started 26 out of 32 games at right tackle at 355 lbs. 

So that concludes 20 years of offensive tackles, who have been drafted, that is 340 lbs, and more. We have to pray that Becton, is the next Bryant McKinnie or Cordy Glenn, if you want a left tackle.

On a side note. I hope Mekhi kicks the habit of smoking weed, since this gives you the munchies. He can't afford that. 

Tony?            

??         ✈✈✈✈✈✈✈

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

A lot of huge kids that get pushed into football don't have the perfect balance needed to be all around great athletes, they are just large human beings. Watch some of his basketball tape & especially when he gets the ball near the foul line, does a perfect spin move while also positioning his body for an up & under layup at the rim. This kid has no ceiling because of his incredible strength & balance at that size. It will all come down to dedication, because this guy focused in an NFL strength & conditioning program is UNFAIR even in the NFL. He'll have 100Lbs of added strength vs guys trying to get around him. What you'll see is opponents trying to succeed away from him against our other tackle. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

49 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Show me how many of the fatties on that list were also 6”8, would play AAU basketball, and run a 5.1 40. Does this guy look fat to you? To me he is carrying his weight extremely well... 

becton wasn't my first choice but there's tall and heavy and then there's tall and heavy.  becton seems to be one of those guys like the shaq who are very big but also well proportioned so they are aren't heavy because of fat but muscle.  as i recall brick was also built.  not quite as big but he wasn't a fatty and had really good speed.  so does becton.  and not to think he's going to play anything but tackle, but with his speed, size i'll bet he could be a heck of a tight end.  he played basketball so that means he has overall good coordination.

• Upvote 3

As you know. I wasn't pleased with the first pick. But Mr. Douglas sees something in this young man. But we heard that from other Jet GMS. But as a Jet fan, I will have to pray that he can turn into a viable piece for the Jets moving forward. But I just want to show you what has happened in the last twenty years. I will provide facts, and you can take it from there. And please don't act childish, as some of you, who don't agree about my opinion. You could put all the thumbs down you want, but you don't have to insult me.  But here is the facts. I have provide every offensive tackle, who is 340 lbs or more, that was drafted since 1999. I also want to show you, how many lost weight, who was successful, and most important how many were left tackles.  This * means a tackle that played left tackle for more than 1 season.

*In 1999, L.J Shelton, was drafted in round 1, pick 21, and was 345 lbs. He started 127 out of 146 games at 345 lbs. He started 89 games at left tackle. 
In 1999 Aaron Gibson was picked in the first round, and he weighed 386 lbs, and was a first round bust.
Also in 1999, Derrick Fletcher at 374 lbs, was drafted in the 5th round, and he was a goner, too.
In 2000, Stocker McDougle was drafted in the 1st round, and he was 361 pounds. He played 81 games as a right tackle. But one other thing, he lost 21 pounds, and played at 340 lbs
In  2001, Leonard Davis was drafted  in the 1st round, pick 2, and he was 371 lbs. He went on to be a 3 time Pro Bowl. But he also lost 16 lbs, but he only played right tackle and guard. 
In 2001, the same year, Char Dorsey and Elliot Silvers, both were 348 lbs when drafted in the 7th round,, and didn't make the cut.
*In 2002, Bryant McKinnie, was drafted in the 1st round, pick 7, who weighed 343 lbs, started 162 out of 179 games, and weighed 355 lbs. So he gained 12 lbs.  He was a Pro Bowl player once. He played left tackle for entire career
In 2003, Todd Williams, was drafted in the 7th round weighing 340 lbs.  He played in 7 total games in 3 years. Never started a game. Found dead in his home from a stomach pain.  
In 2004,  Mike Williams, was drafted in the 1st round, pick 4, was 375 lbs who went down to 337 lbs, but was still a bust. He started 56 games for three teams, and was a right tackle/Guard. 
In 2004, that same year, Langston Walker, 2nd round pick, was drafted being 344 lbs. He started 82 games in his career as a Right Tackle. And played at 360 lbs so he gained weight.
In 2004, Stacey Andrews was drafted round 4, pick 123, and was 342 lbs. He went on to start 49 games out of 94. He played mostly guard and a few games at right tackle at 318 lbs..  
In 2005, Shawn Andrews was drafted in the first round, 16 pick, and he weighed in at 366 lbs. He made 2 Pro Bowls, but he was 331 lbs, and he played guard, and some right tackle. 
In  2005, the same year Max Starks got drafted in the 3rd round, weighing 350 lbs. He went up to 370 lbs, but went back down to 345 lbs. In 96 games for the Steelers he played Right tackle for 5 years and left tackle for 1. 
In 2005, the same year Carlos Joseph, 345 lbs, was drafted in the 7th round, and he didn't make it.
In 2008, Ryan O'Callaghan, was drafted in the fifth round, weighing 344 lbs, played for 5 years at 330 lbs at right tackle. He started 20 games at right tackle.
In 2009, Carl Nicks got drafted in the 2nd round as a guard at 341 lbs. He started 70 games, and made 2 Pro Bowls. He stood at 343 lbs.   
In 2009, the same year Brandon Keith, a tackle at 343 lbs, was drafted in round 7. But I found this interesting, at 345 lbs, Keith ran a 4.98 forty. He started 18 games with Arizona, and Minnesota, in a 4 year period. He played right tackle at 338 lbs. 
In 2010, Ramon Hankewood, at 341 lbs was drafted in the 6th round.  Played guard for 5 games at 334 lbs. Cut after that.
In 2011,  Marcus Cannon, 358 lbs, was drafted in the 5th round. He played in 106 games, and started 60 games at right tackle, but at 335 lbs. for the Patriots.
*In 2012, Cordy Glenn, at 345 lbs was drafted in round 2, pick 41, and has started in 95 games at 345 lbs. He is the only the 3rd left tackle that started at least 83 games at a weight over 340 lbs in last twenty years.
In 2017, David Sharpe, 343 lbs, was drafted in the 4th round. He has started 4 total games at right tackle, and at 330 lbs. He presently plays for the Raiders. 
In 2018, Orlando Brown,Jr., at 345 lbs, got drafted in the 3rd round, 83rd pick. He has started 26 out of 32 games at right tackle at 355 lbs. 

So that concludes 20 years of offensive tackles, who have been drafted, that is 340 lbs, and more. We have to pray that Becton, is the next Bryant McKinnie or Cordy Glenn, if you want a left tackle.

On a side note. I hope Mekhi kicks the habit of smoking weed, since this gives you the munchies. He can't afford that. 

Tony            

Does height matter? Are all 350lb players made equal?

Jason Peters is like 6’3 and 345....this kid is 6’7 and 367...
  • Upvote 3

Becton will be linked to Tristan Wirfs forever.  It will be part of the analysis to see if JD ultimately gets extended.  

If Becton is a good RT this is a great draft pick. We still need an long-term LT.  I think he will be at least a good RT.  The rest of the draft picks will be very interesting.  

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

Show me how many of the fatties on that list were also 6”8, would play AAU basketball, and run a 5.1 40. Does this guy look fat to you? To me he is carrying his weight extremely well... 

Add to that 26 reps on the bench press with 36" arms. That's some strength right there.

And look at this young man standing up....I don't see a gut whatsoever. 17% Body Fat.  Unreal.

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

So fat! 

A478F609-76A1-4B52-8F78-CFDDF36BBBE7.png

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Ghost said:

This guy probably doesn’t look like your average 350+ man. I’m happy with the pick. I wish we would have traded back a  couple spots, maybe with the Bucs, and we could’ve still had him. 

I trust JD. 

Maybe, but the next thing you know our mountain man is the perennial all pro starting LT of the bucs and we end up with the guy they drafted who ends up being an average RT or guard with the Jets luck.

• Upvote 1

He is big and fast and pushes people around at the line. Reportedly, Douglas had a long heart to heart with him as well that sold him. 

If it is true that he works his butt off as he did in college and he gets coached up, this could be great. Our O-line has been in shambles for years so the fact that we got a top prospect was a blessing. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Becton is only 7 lbs heavier than Trent Brown and had almost same 40 time as Brick.  Joe Thomas who was an all pro OT himself rated Becton the highest in this draft

my only real concern is the positive test for weed which he won’t get a suspension for due to the new CBA

What does Thomas know compared to know-it-all Jet fans??B)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

I don't think anyone's ever seen a prospect like Becton before. He's like if Trent Brown or Orlando Brown Jr could actually run. Maybe he has some longevity issues due to his joints as @TheMo says - But there's no real way to know these things for sure. They all could get hurt.  

4 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

There is science proving cannabis usage increases metabolism. At the very least it cuts down on drinking, which are empty calories no one can afford

https://www.healthline.com/health/does-smoking-weed-make-you-skinny#research

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

No offense, but that was a lot of worthless research

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I'm glad someone beat me to this post. 

It's amazing the amount of time people will put into trying to prove themselves right, especially when it comes to trying to sh*t on the Jets.  It's amazing how much of this fan base revels in their own misery.

I also love all the of Vlad Ducasse comparisons - gimmie a break.

• Upvote 1

I'm fine with you not liking the selection, we all have our opinions, but something just rubs me the wrong way about putting so much emphasis on his size. Why is that the only thing you've chosen to compare with all these guys with the exception of one 40 time? Have you just convinced yourself that his size is a detriment? I watch the guy play and he's flat out tossing grown ass men around like they're little bishes. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Tony?            

??         ✈✈✈✈✈✈✈

Players are getting bigger for whatever reason.  300 lb players were a rarity 20-30 years ago. I remember Parcells drafting Rick Terry just because he was 300 lbs.  How many of the big guys you mentioned had a body fat percentage of 17?  Becton could not get down to 340 if he tried.

This guy wasnt a reach, many had him as the best or second best tackle of the 4.  Jeremiah had him as no 7 overall talent wise.  No one had him as a third round pick.  What do you see that troubles you?   Comparing him to seventh rounders that didn't make it doesn't seem fair.  In fact when you compare him to first and second round picks the numbers are pretty encouraging despite many of these players being overweight when drafted and eventually losing weight to play professionally.    

Im excited to have him.  He brings a bully mentality to the line that I like and will enjoy watching.  He is going to make for some long days for opposing defensive ends.  

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Becton is only 7 lbs heavier than Trent Brown and had almost same 40 time as Brick.  Joe Thomas who was an all pro OT himself rated Becton the highest in this draft

my only real concern is the positive test for weed which he won’t get a suspension for due to the new CBA

Trent Brown is 6’8 380 - how is Becton 6’7 365. 9 pounds heavier.    Math isn’t your strong suit.  Becton is a little man compare to a Trent Brown.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

becton wasn't my first choice but there's tall and heavy and then there's tall and heavy.  becton seems to be one of those guys like the shaq who are very big but also well proportioned so they are aren't heavy because of fat but muscle.  as i recall brick was also built.  not quite as big but he wasn't a fatty and had really good speed.  so does becton.  and not to think he's going to play anything but tackle, but with his speed, size i'll bet he could be a heck of a tight end.  he played basketball so that means he has overall good coordination.

Brick was the opposite.   It took him years to put on enough muscle to anchor LT, early in his career the bigger defensive ends would push him back, and there were reports that by the end of his rookie year he was down to about 285.

• Upvote 1