Jets UDFA Signings (Jets Only)

Lith

Anyone else notice the 00’s and early 10’s days of “elite” athletes taken early are gone. Like, they’re are just too many athletic freaks nowadays. 
Guidry for example, in 2005, if you had a CB that ran a 4.29 and benched 225 22 times he’d have been somewhere taken mid rounds for that alone. Just interesting to see how things have changed over the years. 

• Upvote 2

On 4/26/2020 at 7:35 AM, sec101row23 said:

I’ve praised JD’s additions of all the 6 foot plus corners, but look at the receivers he’s added.   Perriman, Doctson, Mims, Cager, Campbell all 6’2” or taller.   FINALLY a GM who shares my belief in the value of having some skyscrapers out there.   Good to see.  The red zone offense will be MUCH improved this year, guaranteed.  

So much for Gase getting a bunch of shorter receivers, which has typically been his preference.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, section314 said:

@Lith you probably addressed this, but, cliff notes version, why wasn't Cager drafted?

Just specualting, but as @rbstern mentions above he was oft injured at both Miami and UGA.  Did not help that teams could not check out the ankle after off season surgery.  I also think concenrs over speed/athleticism -- without a pro day or ability to compete at combine.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Cager is an absolute go getter when the ball is in the air. I watched him catch ducks from Fromm all year.

The stat about how much Fromm's completion percentage fell when Cager wasn't on the field really is quite remarkable.

Watched Cager's highlights last night. Really impressed with his hands and the way that he uses his body to shield the ball from DBs.

If he can stay healthy (and learn how to contribute on STs), he should have a real shot.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

The stat about how much Fromm's completion percentage fell when Cager wasn't on the field really is quite remarkable.

Watched Cager's highlights last night. Really impressed with his hands and the way that he uses his body to shield the ball from DBs.

If he can stay healthy (and learn how to contribute on STs), he should have a real shot.

We should have plenty of ST players to field a decent unit. Let the more injury prone players focus only on their main jobs. Hall playing CB, Cage playing WR 

I wouldn’t put Mims on ST either.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So much for Gase getting a bunch of shorter receivers, which has typically been his preference.  

I kind of think this is where the Jets have become a comfortable hybrid between the coach picking the players and the GM picking the guys and putting square pegs in round holes. Gase says I want guys who can spread the field with speed and make plays after the catch. Douglas does that but they're bigger dudes - where maybe Gase would've been more into a Ruggs or Reagor.

• Upvote 2

Just now, derp said:

I kind of think this is where the Jets have become a comfortable hybrid between the coach picking the players and the GM picking the guys and putting square pegs in round holes. Gase says I want guys who can spread the field with speed and make plays after the catch. Douglas does that but they're bigger dudes - where maybe Gase would've been more into a Ruggs or Reagor.

I'm so glad we stayed away from Ruggs. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, cookiemonstaman said:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/donovan-peoples-jones?id=32195045-4f60-4060-aa06-be3909ebff80.  People jones 40 and hand are incredible.  Fact is I would have drafted him in the second round. 

I saw a scout say dpj is one of the worst wide outs he’s scouted.  Had no hands and basically could just run.

5 hours ago, HessStation said:

Anyone else notice the 00’s and early 10’s days of “elite” athletes taken early are gone. Like, they’re are just too many athletic freaks nowadays. 
Guidry for example, in 2005, if you had a CB that ran a 4.29 and benched 225 22 times he’d have been somewhere taken mid rounds for that alone. Just interesting to see how things have changed over the years. 

Reminds me of three words.. Johnny Lam Jones

1 hour ago, cookiemonstaman said:

Hands over 10 inches for wideouts is key for stardom. See robie anderson kennon allen and Michael thomas .

Eh.  Big hands are nice, but I prefer production.  Your hands only have to be big enough to catch the ball.  Crowder and TY Hilton both have hands considerably sub-9" and they seem to do fine.  I think Antonio Brown was right at 9" and until he went insane, he was as good as they get.  Will Fuller 8.25" and Tyreek HIll 8" have tiny hands.  Anderson's hands are 8 5/8" and if  Cager gives us what Anderson did everybody will be happy. 

2 hours ago, cookiemonstaman said:

The only pick we made I dont like is Mims . I just dont see it. Dpj will be a star with Mayfield. Obj and him r scary and I have no idea how you stop them. 

'I just don't see it'? Is that your only reasoning? You gotta do better than that. Any actual reasons you don't like Mims?  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

Campell kid sounds interesting.  

Injuries derailed his career. Cager was hurt by injuries as well. These are the type of guys who typically fall out of the draft but get signed as UDFAs. Low risk since you're not burning a draft pick. High reward if the player can stay healthy. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

Not sure what he is looking at. 

Don't take him seriously.....the last time he posted his number #1 WR the guy went undrafted. He should stick with his weather forecasts.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, cookiemonstaman said:

The only pick we made I dont like is Mims . I just dont see it. Dpj will be a star with Mayfield. Obj and him r scary and I have no idea how you stop them. 

I like Mims but it was a grave error not going Wr later in the draft with the talent that dropped.   They really needed to double dip on Wr this draft.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

This thread has gone way off topic. You want to talk draft picks or how disappointed you are go to the dozen other threads. Can we keep this about Jet UDFA signings. Why are we discussing DPJ when he’s on another team?

come on people

And again!

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, RobR said:

dont-w-orty-im-from-he-internet-never-fe

You will notice that those who agreed with my original post was

KRL, Sarge4Tide & @Lith who began the thread which was meant for only posting comments on Jets UDFA signings.

Bring your convo to the main board. I’m done. You’re like Jamaal, whatever’s best for you.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

You will notice that those who agreed with my original post was

KRL, Sarge4Tide & @Lith who began the thread which was meant for only posting comments on Jets UDFA signings.

Bring your convo to the main board. I’m done. You’re like Jamaal, whatever’s best for you.

This thread was supposed to be only about the actual signings themselves and not for commentary. IIRC you were one of the first people to fail to read these simple instructions.

Nothing stays on topic here and even the mod threw in the towel. Get over it.

16 minutes ago, RobR said:

This thread was supposed to be only about the actual signings themselves and not for commentary. IIRC you were one of the first people to fail to read these simple instructions.

Nothing stays on topic here and even the mod threw in the towel. Get over it.

You are correct I accidentally posted in the wrong thread and apologized to @nycdan since he was the moderator. His reply below.

On 4/25/2020 at 8:27 PM, nycdan said:

No problem.  Since this is the whole league and that one is Jets only, it probably should have discussion.  I unhid everything and am letting it fly.  

Please stop posting in this thread unless it is related to a Jets UDFA signing/rumor

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

You are correct I accidentally posted in the wrong thread and apologized to @nycdan since he was the moderator. His reply below.

Please stop posting in this thread unless it is related to a Jets UDFA signing/rumor

Do you think we should trade Jamal Adams?

• Thumb Down 1

14 hours ago, HessStation said:

Besides Guidry possibly making the team in situational dime packages.  He could be very effective on special teams.  With Brandon Mann punting high and far...that 4.29 speed of Guidry's will force returners into fair catches.  And he should be one of the first guys downfield on kickoffs...zooming in on returners.  

Hope he makes the team.  And if and when Jets have to defend Ruggs...that could be something.  The two flying down the field...some 40-50 yards...stride for stride...as the ball's descending.