Craig Carton released from prison, return to WFAN possible

AFJF

https://nypost.com/2020/06/23/craig-carton-released-early-from-prison-with-a-wfan-return-realistic/

Former WFAN radio host Craig Carton was released from federal prison on Tuesday morning, The Post has learned.

Carton, 51, will either enter home confinement or a halfway house to finish out his sentence, according to sources.

Carton’s release is unrelated to COVID-19. Carton went to prison on June 17, 2019, so he served a little more than a year. He was let out early from his three-and-half year prison sentence for a ticket scam due to completing a number of programs offered by the federal penitentiary.

Carton may have a path back to WFAN as Chris Oliviero, his former producer, now heads up Entercom’s New York stations.

It is believed that when Oliviero agreed to return to the company he asked if he would be able to re-hire Carton at FAN. He was told he would be allowed to if he saw fit, according to sources. It is not a done deal and it is not exactly clear when Carton would be able to return to FAN, but with him released there is a belief that a return to FAN could very well happen.

On April 5, 2019, Carton was sentenced to three-and-a-half years in prison. He was ordered to pay nearly $5 million in restitution to his victims. He had been convicted the previous November for a nearly $7 million ticket resale scam that he said was to pay off gambling debts.

SEE ALSO

image.gif

Carton joined FAN in 2007 in the wake of Don Imus’ firing over racist remarks. Teamed with Boomer Esiason, Carton performed on the edge, as he helped produce what was consistently the No. 1 rated morning program in the New York.

After his arrest, Carton resigned on Sept. 13, 2017. He was eventually replaced by Gregg Giannotti. Boomer & Gio have mostly been atop the morning ratings.
In the afternoon, Joe Benigno and Evan Roberts have struggled since replacing Mike Francesa. The duo has been hurt by the lack of sports during the pandemic. Benigno, 66, has consistently spoken about his desire to retire.

In middays, Maggie Gray’s contract is up at the end of this year. She is teamed with Marc Malusis.

Carton was imprisoned in the United States Penitentiary’s Lewisburg minimum-security satellite camp until Tuesday morning.

He is now released — and a return to WFAN has a real chance of happening down the road.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

As much as I despise Carton he’s infinitely better than that boring drivel Moose & Maggie

I could absolutely see Carton get re-hired by WFAN, considering how boring most of their hosts (definitely including Moose and Maggie) are.  I don't know the numbers but I would suspect they're way down.  I can't say I was a fan of Carton either tbh, but I wouldn't be surprised if WFAN gave him a chance to see if he could drum up some interest.  I think some people actually liked him so he probably could.

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

i guess he paid the price and is entitled to get a job but it seems kind of bizarre that these guys seem to get so many chances when the majority just don't.

I'm pretty sure the average guy making minimum wage at Walmart before going to prison can get another job making minimum wage when he is let out of prison.  In fact, there are laws that prevent most businesses from denying employment based on a criminal record. 

So the real question is whether a guy like Carton should be denied the same right to resume his career after he has done his time? 

It must be hard to get ratings at a 24 hour sports radio station when there are no sports.

When I’m in the car now I listen to the Classic Vinyl station on Sirius. I don’t even bother with the MLB or NFL stations anymore.

As far as tv, I don’t think I’ve watched ESPN since the NFL draft.

• Upvote 1

It's a difficult choice for WFAN.  They can hire Carton and the ratings will be much better.  Who do you partner him with?  Will he do his own show?  Who gets the boot for him (obviously Moose and Maggie)?  Carton is a sleazy douchebag but far more entertaining than anyone else at that station.  

5 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Want to bet that Carton ends up swimming with the fishes.( owes a lot of money to people that aren’t exactly the boy scouts).   Gambling addition is no joke, as  it cost him his marriage, and his freedom.

Knock on driftwood

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Want to bet that Carton ends up swimming with the fishes.( owes a lot of money to people that aren’t exactly the boy scouts).   Gambling addition is no joke, as  it cost him his marriage, and his freedom.

Did Carton’s wife divorce him?

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’d rather have a never-ending 24/7 livestream of Maggie Gray reading a phone book implanted in both ear canals than listen to another syllable from Carton on the radio. Just fold up the FAN already. It’s over for them. 

Prison ass rape stories > anything involving Maggie Gray talking on the radio. 

19 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

There you go. Craig and Sid were a team on WNEW back in like 2000-2001 as the Sports Guys. What an awful show that was

These tapes were used with great effect by the CIA at Guantanamo to get Al Qaeda types to talk, eliminating any need to waterboard. 

• Haha 3