Sports you played growing up...

All of us here are obviously football fans, and probably follow other sports as well.

I’m thinking since there isn’t much going on in sports right now, it might be interesting to tell each other a little about what sports we enjoyed playing, either while growing up, or even still play today.

For myself, baseball was the sport that for some reason came very easily to me as a young kid. I was also lucky enough to receive excellent coaching as I got older, and that enabled me to play through my college years.

Boxing was another sport I grew up with, as my grandfather trained fighters. My cousins and I were always in the gym, but even though we wanted to try our luck at the amateur level, my grandmother made sure we were only able to get in the ring to spar in the gym. 

I enjoyed basketball, but never the way I did the first two. I was a backup guard in high school, who only got time subbing briefly for the starters.

Golf became a passion in my mid 40’s, and I love playing in both league and competitive events.

What about you guys? Which sports did/do you play, and enjoy the most?

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Figure skating and field hockey mostly.

You’re into grappling, aren’t you?

I’d be interested to hear you talk about it here. I have nothing but respect for the dedication and toughness it takes to both study, and compete in a discipline like that.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

I played a bunch of different sports. Baseball and ice hockey were my two favorite. I played basketball casually. I played lacrosse and wrestled too. My mother only let me play football for like a year but she was completely fine with me getting my head bashed in on ice or glass lol. 

You mentioned two sports I always think I would’ve loved trying to learn and play.

I played some pond hockey as a kid, but my parents never could’ve afforded what it cost to play in an organized program.

Lacrosse was kind of a cult sport when I was young, none of my friends played until high school, and baseball was my spring sport.

I love watching it now though, and my god son got to play in the NCAA tournament about 10 years ago for Stony Brook.

2 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

You mentioned two sports I always think I would’ve loved trying to learn and play.

I played some pond hockey as a kid, but my parents never could’ve afforded what it cost to play in an organized program.

Lacrosse was kind of a cult sport when I was young, none of my friends played until high school, and baseball was my spring sport.

I love watching it now though, and my god son got to play in the NCAA tournament about 10 years ago for Stony Brook.

My dad played lacrosse in college so that’s I got into it. I really enjoyed it for a while but for some reason I started to lose my love for the game and stopped playing around my sophomore year of high school. I’ve regained that love of the sport though and regularly watch college lax. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I’m guessing Arsis has an issue with you Troll since he down votes everything you post. 

Yeah, and the funny part is I have no idea who he is, or why he does it.

I don’t know whether he’s been around here a long time, is someone who was banned under a different name, or maybe he’s my ex-wife...?

Whatever, a**holes are always gonna a**hole.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I grew up in a time when there were always 20+ kids at the park playing various sports.

Organized sports:  Football, wrestling, boxing

Unorganized at the park: baseball, basketball, football

Yeah, when I was a kid, we played as much if not more in the street or the park as we did in organized leagues.

Little League, and later on, PAL or CYO hoops were the only league type activities I was involved in.

I played high school basketball, baseball, and soccer. I later played tennis and started playing golf at age 35. I coached high school basketball for 14 years and tennis for 5.  Retired now and only play golf.

• Upvote 1

Soccer, BBall, Baseball. No football at my small Catholic School in Wayne, NJ. My father was asked by the HS principal to look for other options rather than attending the public HS in my NJ town. My dad was furious at them and at me and was ready to ship me off to Valley Forge Military Academy before my mom intervened. 

In hindsight Valley Forge would have been best for me in the long run.

Played football, baseball, basketball, hockey, ran track (well, mostly jumped) regularly from childhood to high school.  I think I could have played college or minor league baseball if I liked baseball more.  Didn’t play as a junior or senior as I didn’t like the coach.  Was always really good, but never liked playing that much.  Was good at football too but way too small to be taken seriously.  Hockey was the sport i liked playing the most but my parents didn’t like driving the 30 minutes to a rink so I didn’t get to play as much as I liked.  

Also played soccer for a year, karate for a year, wrestling for a year.  Hated them all.  Played lacrosse for a year but not enough people for a team.  Played a lot of roller and street hockey.  Like every day for decades.  

Throughout adulthood I have regularly played flag/touch football, dek hockey, disc golf, paintball, and almost anything else I can find people to play out here in the hinterlands.  

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I’m guessing Arsis has an issue with you Troll since he down votes everything you post. 

No issue. He just posts a lot of nonsense that would be better suited for the lounge.

Take this post for example. What does it have to do with the nyjets or the NFL? It's a nonsense post that they have an entire lounge for.

• Thumb Down 1

Played first base for about a decade, baseball was always my best sport.

Played a ton of basketball too. I was your classic whiteboy with a good shot and terrible ball handling.

Had a cup of coffee with lacrosse in high school and didn’t like it so I quit after a year. 

I played everything except hockey because I can’t skate for sh*t lol.  But my first love was basketball.  Played it all the way through college and still do to this day.  I also ran track in high school.  Baseball and football I played in grammar school.  But basketball was my main sport 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Joejet said:

I played high school basketball, baseball, and soccer. I later played tennis and started playing golf at age 35. I coached high school basketball for 14 years and tennis for 5.  Retired now and only play golf.

I always mean to ask you if you’re the guy I met wearing the Jets tee shirt in the Myrtle Beach Bi-Lo... 

if you are, we got into a nice discussion about the Jets andJetNation, and when I told you the name I posted under, I mistakenly gave you the one I use on golf message boards. That’s the kind of thing old people do because... well they’re old, and forget stuff. ?

13 minutes ago, Arsis said:

No issue. He just posts a lot of nonsense that would be better suited for the lounge.

Take this post for example. What does it have to do with the nyjets or the NFL? It's a nonsense post that they have an entire lounge for.

You’re probably a younger guy. 

Maybe give a little slack to the older guys who aren’t quite as internet savvy as you are?

I’ll be honest. Until you posted this, and I looked back at the creating threads option I never knew you could list a thread in “a lounge”, I just thought the message board was the message board.

That said, it’s weird that it bothers you so much that you react the way you do. I wish those were the type things that were important enough to get upset about in my life right now.

I played Baseball, basketball and football all throughout High School.  I golf now recreationally but am lucky to break 90 most rounds

I blew my knee out my HS senior year of football and blew out my shoulder in college baseball and that was the end of my competitive sports days.  Now I blow out my patience every time I golf.  

Sports are grand.

• Upvote 2

Grew up playing football, baseball, and basketball all throughout middle school. Hit HS, and it was all about football. I sucked, played a bit in college, and sucked there, too. Got into boxing after a few ACL tears ended my football career, and had potential, but never really followed-up with it. Once I can actually dedicate hours on end every day to training for it, I'll probably get back into boxing eventually. Just gotta be careful, since I'm on blood thinners, so a serious concussion could equal death. 

9 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

You’re probably a younger guy. 

Maybe give a little slack to the older guys who aren’t quite as internet savvy as you are?

I’ll be honest. Until you posted this, and I looked back at the creating threads option I never knew you could list a thread in “a lounge”, I just thought the message board was the message board.

That said, it’s weird that it bothers you so much that you react the way you do. I wish those were the type things that were important enough to get upset about in my life right now.

React the way I do? I see something that doesn't belong in the NFL thread or that's seriously off topic I click the downvote button. Takes 2 seconds.

• Thumb Down 1

This is interesting so far... a lot of pretty well rounded athletes (and @Spoot-Face ) not many football guys though.

I lasted about 4 Pop Warner practices. I wasn’t too big, but was pretty fast, so they put me at HB. I got lit up by a 7th grade LB who was already shaving on a sweep play, and said “that’s enough of this crap”. LOL

Being the guy doing the hitting seemed a lot more fun than being the guy everyone wanted to annihilate.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I played Baseball, basketball and football all throughout High School.  I golf now recreationally but am lucky to break 90 most rounds

I blew my knee out my HS senior year of football and blew out my shoulder in college baseball and that was the end of my competitive sports days.  Now I blow out my patience every time I golf.  

Sports are grand.

LOL at the “blowing out your patience” remark.

I invent curse words to call myself when out on the course.

• Upvote 1

I played hoops and wrestled. Unfortunately they are in the same season, so I played church ball and wrestled in high school. 

Played hoops as a walk on in juco for a year, up until a few years ago when my ankle injuries as a youngin caught up to me, cant play anymore, no lateral movement, so i recently started training for triathlons. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

All of us here are obviously football fans, and probably follow other sports as well.

I’m thinking since there isn’t much going on in sports right now, it might be interesting to tell each other a little about what sports we enjoyed playing, either while growing up, or even still play today.

For myself, baseball was the sport that for some reason came very easily to me as a young kid. I was also lucky enough to receive excellent coaching as I got older, and that enabled me to play through my college years.

Boxing was another sport I grew up with, as my grandfather trained fighters. My cousins and I were always in the gym, but even though we wanted to try our luck at the amateur level, my grandmother made sure we were only able to get in the ring to spar in the gym. 

I enjoyed basketball, but never the way I did the first two. I was a backup guard in high school, who only got time subbing briefly for the starters.

Golf became a passion in my mid 40’s, and I love playing in both league and competitive events.

What about you guys? Which sports did/do you play, and enjoy the most?

Good idea for a thread 

• Upvote 3

As for organized sports I only played baseball and football from as young as I could up through HS. Tried out for the baseball team in college as a walk on and realized day 1 I had no business being there - lol. We played every sport under the son in the neighborhood.

My greatest sporting accomplishment though, was the game of "slam ball" that we created and played in the neighborhood. Basically it was two teams playing on a field like a soccer field (smaller) with the goals being flower pots and the ball being a tennis ball. It was full contact and I don't fully recall but I'm sure there was some sort of mechanism where you couldn't take too many steps (you had to dribble or pass the ball). You could play with or without a goalie (team strategical decision).

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Arsis said:

React the way I do? I see something that doesn't belong in the NFL thread or that's seriously off topic I click the downvote button. Takes 2 seconds.

Serious question. Not looking to argue, I’m just curious.

You don’t think you’re over reacting to something that shouldn’t really bother you so much?

If people who aren’t even involved notice you doing it, that doesn’t tell you anything?

4 minutes ago, Prestige Worldwide said:

I played hoops and wrestled. Unfortunately they are in the same season, so I played church ball and wrestled in high school. 

Played hoops as a walk on in juco for a year, up until a few years ago when my ankle injuries as a youngin caught up to me, cant play anymore, no lateral movement, so i recently started training for triathlons. 

Triathlon... much respect for that, my man. You’re quite an athlete.