Why is Trevor Lawrence a "Generational QB Prospect"?

Warfish

Lawrence not generational?  I have no idea.  I think the big issue is whether or not the jets pick him if they can in the draft. And unless he is a generational talent I don’t think I’d try to trade up.  As much as darnold isn’t doing as well as his draft position suggests, he still has 2+ seasons of nfl experience and that’s got to count for something. Even Marino rode the bench for part of his first season.

• Upvote 1

I'm not going to pretend to know for sure how good this guy really is, but I will say this: 

If we end up drafting this guy, I will definitely worry about all of the insane hype. He would be Broadway Trevor, to the max. I would not wish that kind of pressure on any 20 year old (yes, he's only 20 - 3 years younger than Sam) and I would definitely worry about him not living up to the hype. 

Lawrence has the size, speed, arm strength to be a generational talent.  Is he?  Not sure...but he at least comes from a program that has produced a recent good NFL QB in Watson (unlike USC).  Fields might be a better prospect depending on if you like that style better.

Either way if we have a top 2 pick Joe Douglass isn't going to gamble his legacy on passing on either one of these guys in favor of hoping Darnold gets better.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sonny Werblin said:

It is impossible to truly evaluate a college QB when they play for a loaded team.  Most games are not even competitive. His performance in big games is promising, but so was Darnold’s.

Burrow played on an absolutely loaded team and he looks like he’s going to be a star for the bengals

does the QB see the field?  It’s not just about reading defenses and players it’s reading spacing.  Lawrence and Burrow, who are both similar, do that

He's a grest story. The number one high school Prospect comes in his freshman year and leads his teams to a national title. For the next two years of eligibility that player is going to be a media darling. Not only that but ESPN and the ACC Network have to market their games.

Definitely has a promising NFL potiential but in no way a generational talent. If another team wants this guys I have no problem shipping him off. 

• Upvote 1

I've only see 3 of his games, one of which being last years game against LSU in which he didn't look good. I'm not that immpressed but I also know 3 games isn't much to have any kind of informed opinion on the guy. If he has a big season this year he's probably going to project really well

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

I don't follow college (minor league) football, as most know.

I usually only get to know prospects late, via reading about them and watching vids.

I do not know Trevor Lawrence yet.  I just know a goodly number of jets Fans are staking their entire future on him, and using (IMO) many of the same descriptive once reserved for, say, Sam Darnold.  

So this question is for the College Fans:  Tell me why Trevor Lawrence is so special, so great, "best prospect since Manning", etc, etc, etc.

What does he do, or what physical traits down he have, to warrant such fluffery?

Educate me.

They know as much as you do about Lawrence.

• Haha 2

I don't think he is.  I think he's a very good prospect.  I don't think he's even head and shoulders above Fields let alone every QB prospect since Manning.

He certainly can succeed in the NFL.  If a team uses him like Buffalo uses Allen he will be fine.

If they try making him a drop back passer, I'm far less convinced.

• Upvote 1

I usually only get to know prospects late, via reading about them and watching vids.

I do not know Trevor Lawrence yet.  I just know a goodly number of jets Fans are staking their entire future on him, and using (IMO) many of the same descriptive once reserved for, say, Sam Darnold.  

So this question is for the College Fans:  Tell me why Trevor Lawrence is so special, so great, "best prospect since Manning", etc, etc, etc.

What does he do, or what physical traits down he have, to warrant such fluffery?

Educate me.

He was the top rated quarterback coming out of high school (higher ranked than Fields).

Went to Clemson and won the starting job as a true freshman beating out other very highly ranked upper class men.

Won the National Championship as a true freshman beating Alabama and their team of 50 first round draft picks.

Followed up his freshman year with a return trip to the Championship game where he lost to LSU.

BTW- that ended a streak of 66 straight wins going back to his sophomore year of high school!!!!!

So basically he's 68-1 his last 69 games as a starting quarterback including 27-1 in college.

His only loss was to a LSU team that one could argue is one of the most talented teams in the past 20 years.

He didn't look great in the playoffs his sophomore year, but he looked phenomenal ripping up Notre Dame and Alabama his freshman year.

Is he a can't miss prospect?

I'm not sure one of those exists, but he has the size, speed, strength, potential, and track record of very few that have come before.

that being said, I love Fields too and would consider trading down from Trevor for a big enough haul if we could still guarantee him.

Trigger warning.....

Just presenting factual evidence here so everyone understands the comparison. 

Sam Darnold was a better QB than Trevor Lawrence his freshman year, and he did it against way better competition. 

Darnold beat Lawrence in every statistical category that matters except for INTs their first years. 

This is a direct 1 to 1 of their regular college seasons, minus bowl games (Sam had 1/Trev had 2) so I removed them from the stats for the sake of keeping it as directly comparable as possible. 

Their sophomore years were close, I will post those momentarily. 

Photo_2020-10-02_09-57-07_PM.png

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, JTJet said:

Trigger warning.....

Sam Darnold was a better QB than Trevor Lawrence his freshman year, and he did it against way better competition. 

Darnold beat Lawrence in every statistical category that matters except for INTs their first years. 

This is a direct 1 to 1 of their regular college seasons, minus bowl games (Sam had 1/Trev had 2) so I removed them from the stats for the sake of keeping it as directly comparable as possible. 

Uh, Sam was a redshirt Freshman.  That means he was really a sophomore.

So with your argument Trevor beat Sam easily because Sam's stats were 0.

7 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I don't think he is.  I think he's a very good prospect.  I don't think he's even head and shoulders above Fields let alone every QB prospect since Manning.

He certainly can succeed in the NFL.  If a team uses him like Buffalo uses Allen he will be fine.

If they try making him a drop back passer, I'm far less convinced.

I like the arm talent; the way the ball jumps out of his hand, and his accuracy. He’s like an accurate Josh Allen. 

I don’t like that he’s only lost ONE game in his life. How will he respond to a rebuilding team with ups & downs. Does he sulk? Does he point fingers? Does he rally his teammates? I’m not sure if anyone knows. 

• WTF? 1

1 minute ago, Greenseed4 said:

I like the arm talent; the way the ball jumps out of his hand, and his accuracy. He’s like an accurate Josh Allen. 

I don’t like that he’s only lost ONE game in his life. How will he respond to a rebuilding team with ups & downs. Does he sulk? Does he point fingers? Does he rally his teammates? I’m not sure if anyone knows. 

yeah, I'll take the guy that never loses over the one that handles it well.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Uh, Sam was a redshirt Freshman.  That means he was really a sophomore.

So with your argument Trevor beat Sam easily because Sam's stats were 0.

Semantics. Let me rephrase.

"First full year as a starter"

He's a better college QB at every statistical category than Sam was coming out. More TDs. Less ints. Better QB Rating. Better completion percentage. More rushing yards etc etc and he's also bigger stronger more athletic much better arm etc. 

And he's in a better conference destroying better defenses than Sam did. 

I'm an FSU fan and he's absolutely destroyed us every time. He destroyed Alabama during championship game too. 

He's for real. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Lawrence has the size, speed, arm strength to be a generational talent.  Is he?  Not sure...but he at least comes from a program that has produced a recent good NFL QB in Watson (unlike USC).  Fields might be a better prospect depending on if you like that style better.

Either way if we have a top 2 pick Joe Douglass isn't going to gamble his legacy on passing on either one of these guys in favor of hoping Darnold gets better.

Fields is meh  tbh. Trey Lance is better. 

Just now, JTJet said:

Semantics. Let me rephrase.

"First full year as a starter"

Lol.

Yeah having full year on campus to find your way, learn the playbook, get comfortable away from home is exactly the same thing as walking into a top 3 program and winning the job a few weeks after your high school prom. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Trigger warning.....

LOL. Yep, there's NO difference between dominating ACC and SEC teams and playing against the PAC-12.

Bro. 

There is no such thing as a cant miss prospect. However he is absolutely an elite level prospect. PFF loves him. Scouts love him. He won a title after entering NCAA as the top HS player. He had a down year in 2019 but to suggest this kid is anything but an elite prospect is just silly. Not shocked that some at JN aren’t sold on him. 

• Upvote 2

What Lawerence did almost never happens on teams that are at the top.

That's what makes it special.

The hot shot freshman might win the job at a school that's rebuilding, not one where there's already a couple five star upper classmen.

He might not amount to squat in the pros.  If we draft him his bust rate will probably triple.

But the guy has the God given tools to succeed. 

• Upvote 1

Educate me.

Exhibit A

20200930_132018.thumb.jpg.2ee484052e44ce1a7b31ea36bbd288c4.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

He's big, athletic, great arm talent. Strong arm, accurate, great instincts. Good decision maker, very few turnovers. Great runner.

Was the number one recruit in the nation in high school (was a "LeBron type" legendary prospect who received national attention while he was still in HS.)

Stepped in and dominated as a true freshman. Undefeated season and thrashed Alabama's previously dominant defense in the national title game. Followed up with another undefeated regular season before losing in the national title game to LSU.

TL:DR -- he has elite physical traits and has performed at an elite level both statistically and in terms of W/L record despite absurd expectations. His game has no obvious flaws or weaknesses. My only concern is that he hasn't had to overcome a ton of adversity because he (and his teams) have been so much better than the competition... 

But it really needs to be stressed for people who keep saying "that's what they said about Sam Darnold" that that's completely untrue. He's not really in the same league as a prospect as Darnold. Darnold was a nothing recruit out of high school. He's smaller with a weaker arm and always had turnover issues. No prospect is "can't miss" but Lawrence is as close to it as you can get.

Succinct and accurate.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Lol.

Yeah having full year on campus to find your way, learn the playbook, get comfortable away from home is exactly the same thing as walking into a top 3 program and winning the job a few weeks after your high school prom. 

Stop. You are fully aware that's a reach. 

They were both 19 years old when they laid those numbers out.