Jim Harbaugh

ZachEY

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If you think Michigan is happy with what Harbaugh has accomplished you have not followed Michigan football. There are plenty who want him out.

While he has been significantly better than his predecessors,  not really saying much,  they are not happy going 9-3 every year losing to Ohio State every year and beating up on the bottom feeders.

Yeah I know that game is the one that gets you....but harbaugh is the only reason you get any recruits, fixed the systems and far be it from me to say but you'll beat the big schools if you stay on the path..not exactly his fault you guys lose that game...but at the same time I get it. I just remember what it was like before him there. I had a close friend who was michigan fan. He was so excited but then was starting to sour, but when I reminded him where it was like before...he came to his senses

7 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

There are plenty of coaches that are good in college but not the NFL. I can't think of any examples of coaches who were good in the NFL but not college. So far, that's my take on harbaugh.

Can anyone think of examples of good NFL coaches that weren't good in college?

College is all about recruiting.  NFL is all about coaching up what you have and playcalling.  Different skill sets.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, JTJet said:

The only bad he has done at Michigan is simply not live up to the impossible standards set from Michigan teams in the 80s/90s. 

If Harbaugh is available, every NFL and NCAA team in the United States will line up to hire him. 

He is by far the most qualified candidate we could ever hope to get and it absolutely blows my mind some people think otherwise, especially considering the intangible aspect he would bring of changing the perception of our franchise. 

From a recruiting standpoint I don’t know how you compete with party schools like Alabama and Clemson that pay their players and have zero academic standards 

Michigan is a tough academic school, horrible weather and the student body is mostly nerds so forget about partying.  

Saw Groh recruiting a high school game once. Looked like a homeless guy scrounging for empty bottle deposits. 

met Al Groh while in Bermuda soon after he left as hc.
i greeted him politely and mentioned i was a Jet fan.
he was a foot taller than me
yet his eyes widened in terror,
like a tragic PTSD case.
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Going 48-19 at michigan is a collosal failure. 

Would he still be better than any other head coach we've had since Parcells? Sure. But that's not saying much.

Completely agree... When I heard he was going to M, I thought what a recruiting win for M....  That hasn't happened, and he has had what most in college football would say is a bad record  for that school, compared, to Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, etc...  I'm torn when it comes to him, because if he were to come here, I'm not sure it would be great, but it certainly would be much better than what we have now. Still my only caveat is that he is the head coach only, and hires a modern football OC... 

9 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't follow college football closely and didn't bother to look up the record. My perception based on people talking a lot of sh*t about him as a coach at michigan was that he wasn't doing good.

When you’re the coach of Michigan, you have one job... Beat Ohio State.  Harbaugh is 0-5.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

There are plenty of coaches that are good in college but not the NFL. I can't think of any examples of coaches who were good in the NFL but not college. So far, that's my take on harbaugh.

Who cares? Does it really matter? If Harbaugh is available and wants to be HC of the NYJ I hire him without hesitation.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Who cares? Does it really matter? If Harbaugh is available and wants to be HC of the NYJ I hire him without hesitation.

This is exactly right.  The guy has proven he can consistently win at the NFL level.  How many of them are out there?

If there's any chance at all we can get him we should do everything we can to do so.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, JTJet said:

This is just not entirely accurate, or at least doesn't tell the whole story. 

-Quality QBs havent chosen to go to Michigan since before Tom Brady, and even he wasnt setting the world on fire when he was there. 

-Teams always have a winning record, and have the misfortune of playing Ohio State yearly. 

-Offense averages like 35-40 points a game. 

Jim Harbuagh has a well documented history of winning to the likes of which our franchise has never sniffed. 

His job is to recruit and develop QBs, the fact that he hasn’t solved the QB position is his fault.   

Michigans biggest rival, and one of the biggest rivalries in the country, is Ohio State.   The fact that he has such a poor record against them is again his fault.  His record AT HOME against OSU and Michigan State is 1-6, again his fault.  

Harbaugh has been a major disappointment at Michigan, the gap between Ohio State and Michigan has widened greatly under his watch.  

• Post of the Week 1

I was thinking of this yesterday and was going to post a similar question (HC better in the NFL than college.  I don’t think Harbaugh “isn’t good“ in college but he’s been disappointing and certainly not as good as he was in SF).  FWIW, I couldn’t think of an example. 

7 hours ago, JTJet said:

Among the names being tossed around, show me someone with a better head coaching record than Harbaugh.

This is like bizzaro world. 

I see half the board cry on a daily basis that our coaches suck and they are tired of losing, then some of those same people cry about Harbaugh and want another unproven commodity like Bienemy. 

Harbaugh wins, everywhere he goes. 

Yes his overall record is great....so was Marty Schottenheimer's, who like Jim - preferred a low-risk ground n pound offense that would not work in today's NFL.

16 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I was thinking of this yesterday and was going to post a similar question (HC better in the NFL than college.  I don’t think Harbaugh “isn’t good“ in college but he’s been disappointing and certainly not as good as he was in SF).  FWIW, I couldn’t think of an example. 

Only guy I could think of that might fit the description is Kliff Kingsbury.   Below .500 in college at Texas Tech.  Has his team at 5-2 in the toughest Division in football.  But it is way too premature to say he is a good NFL coach yet, after a 10 loss rookie year followed by a solid start to year 2.   He has the potential to fit the description.

As to a guy who was a better NFL coach than college, how about Bill Walsh.  He was not a bad college coach, but was far more successful in NFL.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, deucebag said:

Yes his overall record is great....so was Marty Schottenheimer's, who like Jim - preferred a low-risk ground n pound offense that would not work in today's NFL.

What are you even talking about? " Would not work in today's NFL " ? 

You realize Harbaugh coached SF from 2011-2015 right?  He was 44 - 19 and consistently in the top 1/3rd of the league in offense, so rushing or not, that straight dumps on your argument. 

"Today's" NFL is barely different than it was in 2015. 

11 hours ago, JTJet said:

Where's the narrative that he isnt good coming from? I'm confused. By any measure, our entire fanbase would sell their first born children for consistent winning like this. Not to mention he is coaching in what is generally considered one of the toughest conferences in college football.

Screenshot_20201031-222325_Samsung Internet.jpg

He’s 1-6 against OSU and MSU

he’s not garbage but he’s not the answer either   

41 minutes ago, JTJet said:

What are you even talking about? " Would not work in today's NFL " ? 

You realize Harbaugh coached SF from 2011-2015 right?  He was 44 - 19 and consistently in the top 1/3rd of the league in offense, so rushing or not, that straight dumps on your argument. 

"Today's" NFL is barely different than it was in 2015. 

That is deceiving,   They had a top five defense that set up the offense.  He only coached then FOUR years - 2011-2014 and had three winning seasons.  In his four years his passing offense ranked 29th, 23rd, 30th and 30th - that is not a recipe for success in today's NFL and certainly would be a waste of a Trevor Lawrence.  You could say he would adjust to the talent he has - but listen to rumbles of the Michigan base who complain about Harbaugh's overly conservative offense.  The best comp today for Harbaugh's style would be Tennessee - but they have a monster RB, dynamic WRs, a great OL and a dominating D - then add to that - Vrabel appears to be an exceptionally intelligent football coach - by far the best of Little Bill's kids.

Also, look at Harbaugh's coaching style - not really a great schemer, but more of an overly intense rah-rah type who will eventually lose the veterans.

If you want experience you go for Jack del Rio or hope that Pederson or by some miracle Payton shakes loose.   Jason Garrett may not be a bad choice - I feel Jerry Jones interferes a lot - so perhaps Garrett cannot be completely to blame for the Cowboys shortcomings - nevertheless I recall seeing too many games where the 'boys came out flat.  If you want to roll the dice with a young OC, then you go for Joe Brady or Kevin O'Connell.  I look at Greg Roman as a very intelligent in a book smart kind of way - but not really Head Coaching material.  Daboll is interesting - but he does have close ties to Little Bill so he may not want to associate himself with the Jets.   You want a young coach with good genes?  Go for Scott Turner or Brian Callahan.

8 minutes ago, deucebag said:

That is deceiving,   They had a top five defense that set up the offense.  He only coached then FOUR years - 2011-2014 and had three winning seasons.  In his four years his passing offense ranked 29th, 23rd, 30th and 30th - that is not a recipe for success in today's NFL and certainly would be a waste of a Trevor Lawrence.  You could say he would adjust to the talent he has - but listen to rumbles of the Michigan base who complain about Harbaugh's overly conservative offense.  The best comp today for Harbaugh's style would be Tennessee - but they have a monster RB, dynamic WRs, a great OL and a dominating D - then add to that - Vrabel appears to be an exceptionally intelligent football coach - by far the best of Little Bill's kids.

Also, look at Harbaugh's coaching style - not really a great schemer, but more of an overly intense rah-rah type who will eventually lose the veterans.

If you want experience you go for Jack del Rio or hope that Pederson or by some miracle Payton shakes loose.   Jason Garrett may not be a bad choice - I feel Jerry Jones interferes a lot - so perhaps Garrett cannot be completely to blame for the Cowboys shortcomings - nevertheless I recall seeing too many games where the 'boys came out flat.  If you want to roll the dice with a young OC, then you go for Joe Brady or Kevin O'Connell.  I look at Greg Roman as a very intelligent in a book smart kind of way - but not really Head Coaching material.  Daboll is interesting - but he does have close ties to Little Bill so he may not want to associate himself with the Jets.   You want a young coach with good genes?  Go for Scott Turner or Brian Callahan.

You lost all credibility here. 

You're actually attempting to justify that someone should choose Jack Del Rio over Jim Harbaugh lol? 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Harbaugh has proven that he is good, but not good enough. Same as James Franklin.

If your a college team its hard to let these guys go, because its super hard to replace them with anything better, but it's clear that they can't take a team over the top.

If we want to go to the college ranks, which I believe we should, how about Ryan Day? Why do I never see his names. Granted he gets the cream of the crop in talent, but he calls a great game, game in game out. Dabo and Saban arent leaving. Dont know about Day because he is never mentioned as a possible HC. Why not?