Darnold is NOT a bust

Bro! Bro? BRO!!!

Wish him no ill, but Darnold isn't it. Flacco playing well with a banged up OL against a well-coached if undermanned Pats team was an indictment. This is year 3, when the likes of Watson, Mahomes and Jackson came into their own. Yes, this team is bad, but it looks way worse with the 32nd rank QBR QB who wears #14.  I dunno, may be Darnold isn't that intense, may be the Jets CS has done him no favors, but that's all details. He isn't any good. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

11 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

’Tis but thy name that is mine enemy:
What's Bust? It is not hand nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part.
What's in a name? That which we call a bottom three QB,
By any other name would still be terrible at quarterback.

Do not go gentle into that good night.

Rage rage against the dying of the light!

Thou needs to pass that sh*te.

Amirite?

• Haha 3

To really get a sense for how bad Darnold is doing now, Winston and Mariotta played under their 5th year option, and Tannehill under Tannenbaum (surprise) was extended prior to year 5 and effectively paid $20mm for year 5.  Bortles was extended prior to year 5 for about $18mm, slightly less than the 5th year option. 

So if we are thinking that Darnold is not worth slightly less than the $25mm current fifth year option for a QB (hint:  as of now he is not), that makes Darnold an epic fail when compared to the recent first round QBs that did not work out for their original teams.  

At this point we keep to the tank and reboot.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DarnoldHomer said:

He has shown and done enough with so Little support to not be called that. Disappointing? Absolutely. Inconsistent? Sure?  In a crappy organization (passionate fans tho!) with no talent around him? Clearly. Unimaginative and stubborn cross eyed coach? That’s true. 
But not a bust. Darnold has made plays that maybe 10 QBs in history of league have made. 
He’s made tight window Throws. He’s made power throws. Touch throws. On the run throws. Of course consistency and results matter. Busts don’t have talent or results. 

Jamarcus Russell is a bust. Ryan Leaf is a bust. Akili Smith is a bust. David Klinger is a bust. Darnold is NOT a bust. 

I have been a huge Darnold supporter. Flacco had a line with simplified blocking schemes that worked well and our 3 top receivers for the first time. Let's see what Darnold does in a similar situation and that will tell us a lot. I have been a huge Darnold supporter but I am really concerned at this point.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, DarnoldHomer said:

Thought I did. I’ll do it again 

Jamarcus Russell 

Ryan Leaf

Akili Smith 

David Klinger

Josh Rosen 

Sports for 300 Alex.

Name a QB that has failed to live up to their so called FQB expectations as these in this list.

Who is Sam Darnold?

Correct! 

• Upvote 1

I'm going to try to be objective here and support the OP.

Sam has not had a smooth ride. He's had to work through two different offenses. He's had personal injuries and the Jets have led the league in injuries for the last 2 years am I wrong?

Throw in Mono and the pandemic, and trying to center the offense around a washed-up Le'Veon Bell, whilst also dealing with the loudmouth box safety LOL.

Hey how about that offensive line? How about those injured starting wide receivers that he's yet to play with going into week 10?

Sam has played sloppy. I think he's frustrated and he's pressing. I'd say he's 23 years old and doesn't have the wisdom to know any other way than to put it all on his own shoulders and try even harder.

I will say this to some of you posters careful what you wish for. I can see Sam in a different Jersey doing just fine. Frisco, Pittsburgh, Indy... just a gut feeling.

Can you honestly say this kid's been given a fair chance? A decent even shot to show what he can do? I can't say yes.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Sam Darnold is a NY Jets BUST. 

I understand how you did that.  Not a bust because he will be successful with a supporting cast around him, it just may be with a another team.  Or sometimes when you get to bottom, you fight your way up making it a true success story.  If he did that he would be immortalized. He just may not get the chance.

Darnold may or may not be a bust (that's a strong word) but however, he is (as a 3rd year QB) ranked and rated as the 32nd and dead last QB amongst all starting NFL QB's. 

And the history of QB's who have finished their respected seasons as the dead last rated QB is not something to build around ala... See for yourselves. 

Sam Darnold: 65.9 (2020).
Andy Dalton: 78.3 (2019).
Josh Rosen: 66.7 (2018).
DeShone Kizer: 60.5 (2017).
Ryan Fitzpatrick: 69.6 (2016).
Ryan Mallett: 67.9 (2015).
Blake Bortles: 69.5 (2014).
Geno Smith: 66.5 (2013).
Matt Cassel: 66.7 (2012).
Blaine Gabbert: 65.4 (2011).
Jimmy Clausen: 58.4 (2010).
Jamarcus Russell: 50.0 (2009).
Derek Anderson: 66.5 (2008).
Kellen Clemens: 60.9 (2007).
Andrew Walter: 55.8 (2006).
Kyle Orton: 59.7 (2005).
AJ Feeley: 61.7 (2004).
Kordell Stewart: 56.8 (2003).
Joey Harrington: 59.9 (2002).
Jon Kitna: 61.1 (2001).
Ryan Leaf: 56.2 (2000).

(Sam is mediocre, and a career NFL backup, at best). 

Trevor Lawrence can not come soon enough. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DarnoldHomer said:

Thought I did. I’ll do it again 

Jamarcus Russell 

Ryan Leaf

Akili Smith 

David Klinger

Josh Rosen 

He’s better than this list yes. I don’t necessarily think his career is over just yet- it’s over here though. Having said that.... Sam will have to catch on- win a starting job elsewhere- prove he can stay healthy and actually play a full season for once. I think the jury is still out- but I also don’t think it completely unfair to call him a bust to this point, given where he was drafted and his results.

This is pretty damn simple. If we're not finishing at #1 or #2 pick this year than Sam Darnold WILL BE the QB for the NY Jets in 2021 & he'll be playing with a much better surrounding cast than he is right now based on our free agent dollars, and multiple draft picks with a GM that seemingly has a clue. 

He'll get 1 year to prove himself. 

But, all bets are off if we finish with one of the first 2 picks & that's because Trevor Lawrence & Justin Fields have BOTH played way more games & shown way more consistency than Sam & we would have them under rookie contracts for 5 years in a QB reset situation. 

We're 0-9, some of our WRs have gotten healthy, the Oline has seemingly gotten a little better so the truth is Sam Darnold will have an opportunity over the last 7 games to cement his place as our QB. If he plays well we'll win a few games & probably be out of the QB sweepstakes in the 2021 draft & he'll be back in 2021. If not he'll be traded after we draft TL or JF. 

Pretty simple. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

I've been on the QB's side as well in this argument. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt... I know it's hard when you see some of the bone headed plays he makes. But I also see some of the awesome plays he makes as well. I agree if the same line play happens that Flacco has been playing under, if Sam fails, then it's on him. I think if Sam was under Andy Reid, Kyle S, or any other competent OC, I think he'd be very worthy of being our QB. GASE is the problem here, How can we honestly say what Sam is when he's had GASE and Loggains as his coaches. 

• Post of the Week 2