Change my mind: Sam is the biggest bust in Jets history

jgb

3 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

How many does it take to form a circle? How many jerks? You see where I'm going with this. 

It's a trio now. 

I'm not saying you're completely wrong but it's kind of funny

It's so unfathomable that multiple people can disagree with you in good faith lol

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Sam Darnold is going to be the best quarterback to ever play the game. And second best U.S. President behind Abraham Lincoln, who was a crappy quarterback.

Lincoln was a tremendous athlete.  An elite wrestler, in particular.  He won a wrestling championship for his county in 1830, at the age of 21.  He was only defeated once, reportedly, in his entire wrestling career.

If football had been around during his time, I have no doubt he would have excelled at it at at least the collegiate level.  Maybe not at QB but certainly at WR.  He was 6-4, 185 and muscular.  Any decent 40 time would have made him an instant pro prospect.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

IF,and it’s a big if, Sam stays on the trajectory he is on, there is a really solid argument to be made that Sam has done more damage to the franchise than Hackenberg, if capital to acquire is included into the conversation. 

Sadly, this is already true (barring some sort of turn around miracle)

• Upvote 2

I don’t know about the biggest bust. But he’s definitely the biggest disappointment in my book. Maybe those mean the same. If so, then I agree.

After Sam’s rookie year, I thought we had the best young QB in the AFC East. I thought we were going to supplant the evil empire. I thought all of this because I thought Sam was the man. Well...he isn’t. At least not with the Jets.

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

FWIW the Jets have picked #1 or #2 in the draft on 5 occasions..

1961 Tom Brown G Minnesota #2 selection- Outland Trophy winner - for some reason chose to play in the CFL

1965 Joe Namath QB Alabama #1 selection 

1980 Johnny "Lam" Jones WR Texas #2 selection

1990 Blair Thomas RB Notre Dame #2 selection

1996 Keyshawn Johnson WR USC #1 selection

Take Namath off and I'd have traded all of them, as a group, for Orlando Pace, or Walter Jones.  Okay, I'll say it:  James Farrior was the biggest bust in Jets history. Fight me! 

3 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

Geno was most likely.  But it's hard to think of Clemens as a huge one.  To be a big bust you've got to have this large tag of potential attached to you.  Geno broke records at West Virginia.  Whereas Clemens wasn't even considered the most talented QB on his own team.  His last season Ducks fans were basically waiting to see what Dennis Dixon could do.  If anything I'd say he had a pretty decent career compare to what a lot of other QBs.  12 years in the league as a very decent backup. He may have been drafted too high.  But to be a huge bust you have to have his certain level of hype behind you.  Clemens I dont think ever had fhat.  He was just this farm boy from Burns who was a decent college QB.

Yes. Clemens wasn’t that highly regarded but they still used a second rounder and had he been any good might’ve Wally pipped chaddy.  Things could’ve turned out much differently.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Yes. Clemens wasn’t that highly regarded but they still used a second rounder and had he been any good might’ve Wally pipped chaddy.  Things could’ve turned out much differently.

One of the things that I think that have held Oregon QB's back is lack of very good QB coaches.  You look at almost every era of FB here recently.  And there has seldom been somebody with a good NFL pedigree working with the QBs. They either hired somebody from within or ran whatever system Belotti/Kelly had with cheap up and coming nobodies.  Like if Bill Musgrave had been hired at some point... it might have changes things. But when he did want to come it was conditional.  So... No Dice.

Its also showcases how good Herbert is.  He is breaking every NFL record some of the worst preparation a college QB ever got. And absolutely no reps in the preseason.  When you look at the pace he is currently on...  I don't know how to account for it. It literally boggles the mind.  It's akin to something Marino would have done. 

17 hours ago, jgb said:

The consensus before was Gholston -- undoubtedly a worse player than Darnold but once you weigh in what we gave up for Darnold, it's really not even close. Misplaced hope in Gholston also never caused us to pass on a FQB -- i.e., Ryan Tannehill like I banged the table for.

Ever heard of Blair Thomas? Nuff said.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, jgb said:

The consensus before was Gholston -- undoubtedly a worse player than Darnold but once you weigh in what we gave up for Darnold, it's really not even close. Misplaced hope in Gholston also never caused us to pass on a FQB -- i.e., Ryan Tannehill like I banged the table for.

Change my mind - jgb is a dumb sh*t....

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Sdchurch13@gmail.com said:

This is the only list that Sam will be number 1 on. Hands down biggest bust. Gave up way too much.

You sir are very intelligent and I am sure handsome too. I have 8 lovely daughters, all more beautiful than the last. You may come and have your choice, my good man.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

Do you honestly believe that Ryan tannehill who was not good with Adam gase in miami would suddenly be good on a worse roster with the same moron calling the plays?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Once we signed Gase—the worst signing of all time—I threw down my notecards in absolute disgust.

On 11/24/2020 at 3:06 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Lincoln was a tremendous athlete.  An elite wrestler, in particular.  He won a wrestling championship for his county in 1830, at the age of 21.  He was only defeated once, reportedly, in his entire wrestling career.

If football had been around during his time, I have no doubt he would have excelled at it at at least the collegiate level.  Maybe not at QB but certainly at WR.  He was 6-4, 185 and muscular.  Any decent 40 time would have made him an instant pro prospect.

They say he went 299-1. And was a big time trash talker too ? 

"According to Carl Sandburg’s biography of Lincoln, Honest Abe once challenged an entire crowd of onlookers after dispatching an opponent: “I’m the big buck of this lick. If any of you want to try it, come on and whet your horns.” There were no takers. Lincoln’s grappling exploits earned him an “Outstanding American” honor in the National Wrestling Hall of Fame". 

Wow I never knew any of this before walking into this thread lolo

On 11/24/2020 at 3:06 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

3 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

They say he went 299-1. And was a big time trash talker too ? 

"According to Carl Sandburg’s biography of Lincoln, Honest Abe once challenged an entire crowd of onlookers after dispatching an opponent: “I’m the big buck of this lick. If any of you want to try it, come on and whet your horns.” There were no takers. Lincoln’s grappling exploits earned him an “Outstanding American” honor in the National Wrestling Hall of Fame". 

Wow I never knew any of this before walking into this thread lolo

He lost a match. Can’t handle adversity. I prefer Stephen Douglas.

• Haha 1

I beg to differ man Sam Darnold is not the biggest bust and he is not even a bust how bout you do your research before you post idiotic things like this. Vernon Gholston who recorded 0 sacks in Jets history is the biggest bust ever in franchise history. The 12 picks that they let Idzik make were 12 big busts all together.

Sam Darnold is definitley not a bust he is a "work in progress" since he had to deal with the worst Jets head coach in history in Adam Gase and he has absolutley no one to throw to except for Crowder and now Mims appears in the picture. I want the Jets to keep him and build free agency around him and draft better for him I see a lot of potential with Sam Darnold still and for some reason Jet fans are already piling on him already is ridiculous and not well thought out. Let's see Sam Darnold with a good variety of receivers he will be good. As the song once said "Don't Believe me just watch"