Mac Jones

hawk

I feel like he is going to be the typical solid mid to late first round quarterback. The top three QBs are going to go to trash teams and he’s going to go to a quality team, sit for a couple years and come out and perform better than all of them, while everyone calls the top three busts despite the fact their offensive lines couldn’t stop a nose bleed.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Mac Jones’ accuracy is phenomenal. I mentioned is drafting him in another thread and I got slaughtered. 

If he’s there at 23, we have to take him. 

He may very well still be there at 23. The combine will determine where he "fits" in the draft. He certainly improved his draft stock tonite. 

feature image

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

17 games started. Absolutely ******* not.

Worth noting that the Jets have a recent and fairly consistent history of ignoring experience (Sanchez, Hackenberg, Darnold) with drafting quarterbacks early and it bites them in the ass every time, so I'm sure they're considering him.

As opposed to Fields and his 22-23 starts? 6 games is that much of a deal breaker? 

FWIW here are their career stats minus tonight's game. 

Mac Jones outdid Fields in virtually every category and he did it in 4 less games. If you were to add those 4 games in to Mac Jones career, he would absolutely destroy Fields in every category, including TDs. 

Photo_2021-01-12_12-08-55_AM.png

4 minutes ago, JTJet said:

As opposed to Fields and his 22-23 starts? 6 games is that much of a deal breaker? 

FWIW here are their career stats minus tonight's game. 

Mac Jones outdid Fields in virtually every category and he did it in 4 less games. If you were to add those 4 games in to Mac Jones career, he would absolutely destroy Fields in every category, including TDs. 

Photo_2021-01-12_12-08-55_AM.png

6 games is more than half of a season in a normal year and for some teams like Ohio State that's literally the full year in 2020, so yeah kinda. I think the threshold for the dropoff for conventional numbers is something like 25 and measures like QBASE put a heavy emphasis on sustained success over multiple years. 

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

6 games is more than half of a season in a normal year and for some teams like Ohio State that's literally the full year in 2020, so yeah kinda. I think the threshold for the dropoff for conventional numbers is something like 25 and measures like QBASE put a heavy emphasis on sustained success over multiple years. 

That's a fair point. I'm just saying that if anyone is basing their opinions off of analytics of how many games a college player starts in, then dont forget to view what's right there in front of us as well, and in front of us is Mac Jones putting up better numbers against tougher competition, and doing it consistently. 

5 minutes ago, JTJet said:

That's a fair point. I'm just saying that if anyone is basing their opinions off of analytics of how many games a college player starts in, then dont forget to view what's right there in front of us as well, and in front of us is Mac Jones putting up better numbers against tougher competition, and doing it consistently. 

Statistical predictors of success are rooted in probability and sometimes the improbable happens (i.e. Josh Allen) but the one thing we are absolutely sure of is that the two most reliable indicators of player success for QB prospects are games started first and completion percentage second. Maybe Jones is the second coming of Namath and if his conventional numbers are better than Fields this year that's fine, but the dataset isn't large enough to ensure reliability and validity. To even distinguish the better of the two you need full datasets and for Jones it is not there. That's why games started matters before the other stuff.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Statistical predictors of success are rooted in probability and sometimes the improbable happens (i.e. Josh Allen) but the one thing we are absolutely sure of is that the two most reliable indicators of player success for QB prospects are games started and completion percentage. Maybe Jones is the second coming of Namath and if his conventional numbers are better than Fields this year that's fine, but the dataset isn't large enough to ensure reliability and validity. To even distinguish the better of the two you need full datasets and for Jones it is not there.

I'm going to pretend I understood that. ?

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Ghost said:

Mac Jones’ accuracy is phenomenal. I mentioned is drafting him in another thread and I got slaughtered. 

If he’s there at 23, we have to take him. 

Sewell at 2 and Jones or some other QB like Lance at 23

Give Sam some competition in TC and preseason next year while we try to build an actual NFL roster

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

17 games started. Absolutely ******* not.

Worth noting that the Jets have a recent and fairly consistent history of ignoring experience (Sanchez, Hackenberg, Darnold) with drafting quarterbacks early and it bites them in the ass every time, so I'm sure they're considering him.

Hackenberg started 38 games in college...

It’s almost impossible to scout Jones. He’s looked great all year but that team is so stacked. D. smith was wide open all game and Harris requires a ton of attention. It won’t be so easy in the nfl. I can’t remember many good quarterbacks coming out recently with so so arms and no mobility who were good. I think it’s too big of a risk.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

everyone says he is a statue but he looked great last night. a few scrambles here and there. 

Im not gonna lie. I think mac might be the most overlooked player in the draft. getting beaten down for being big n slow? A qb isnt really supposed to run. thats a newer concept that came about just because some guy can. This guy is cool as a cucumber and deadly accurate . He kinda reminds me of big ben and thats not a bad thing