Mac Jones

hawk

8 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Not a great athlete and a bit hard to judge because of how stacked his team is, but has a chance to be a good player 

^^^This,

but Justin Fields has WR running open all day, “how can we scout him”. “Justin has a OP O-Line” . Mac Jones:  “Man he has Poise and accuracy “ !!

The double standards around here smfh ???????

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

That indicates statistical significance it doesn’t guarantee success. His overall completion percentage being <60% and really it was below 55% his last year should have ruled him out of draftable consideration. 

Yes, there were other reasons to disqualify Hack. But I was responding to a post saying we ignored limited games-played when drafting him, Sanchex and Darnold, however. 

• Upvote 1

He seems like a nice kid, but while "accurate",  he is no more accurate than Fields or Lawrence and has poor arm strength and mobility.  I'd like to see what he looks like if when playing with guys who the D can not catch or tackle and when at least 35% of his completions are no to wide open receivers. No knock on the kid - you have to play with the team you are on -- but if you really like Mac Jones, you must have loved Dwayne Haskins because they seem pretty similar to me.

BTW, I was secretly hoping to learn that Mac Jones is the grandson of Bert Jones. Sadly, he is not. But if he was, I'd be totally on board. I LOVED and idolized Bert Jones as a kid. I even rooted for him against the Jets (they sucked at the time). 

9 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Statistical predictors of success are rooted in probability and sometimes the improbable happens (i.e. Josh Allen) but the one thing we are absolutely sure of is that the two most reliable indicators of player success for QB prospects are games started first and completion percentage second. Maybe Jones is the second coming of Namath and if his conventional numbers are better than Fields this year that's fine, but the dataset isn't large enough to ensure reliability and validity. To even distinguish the better of the two you need full datasets and for Jones it is not there. That's why games started matters before the other stuff.

Really Spot on. 

Its one of the many reasons Trevor is so safe. It's also a reason to be very critical of Zach Wilson's success. Wilson number's against very poor competition were average at best except for one year. One year wonders just about always bust. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Hackenberg started 38 games in college...

Thats kind of the point. Guys need to start enough games to show who they are on a long enough time line so we can project them. Hackenberg started enough games to show who he was - A terribly inaccurate QB who couldn't even throw WR screens his senior year. Its exactly who he was in the NFL (Can't hit the ocean....

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Ghost said:

Mac Jones’ accuracy is phenomenal. I mentioned is drafting him in another thread and I got slaughtered. 

If he’s there at 23, we have to take him. 

Easy to have great accuracy throwing from clean pockets and passing to your choice of wide open options. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

Easy to have great accuracy throwing from clean pockets and passing to your choice of wide open options. 

Has to be hard for any scout to separate where it's Jones' talent and where it's the tremendous talent he has around him. 

4 minutes ago, Bugg said:

But he is a dick, so...

No doubt.

8 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Thats kind of the point. Guys need to start enough games to show who they are on a long enough time line so we can project them. Hackenberg started enough games to show who he was - A terribly inaccurate QB who couldn't even throw WR screens his senior year. Its exactly who he was in the NFL (Can't hit the ocean....

Agree. The post I was responding to seemed to insinuate that Darnold, Sanchez and Hack were all guys with limited college experience.

• Upvote 1

His problem is he doesn’t stack up to a modern day QB.  He’s not mobile and his arm strength is a bit above average.  He’s just not what teams are looking for today.

Yep. That’s my issue too. I’m hoping Saleh/Kafka call is right. If so, they’re gonna want someone more mobile than Mac.

3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Has to be hard for any scout to separate where it's Jones' talent and where it's the tremendous talent he has around him. 

I agree 100%.

You can look at Jones and Burrow's stats side by side from the past two seasons and say they are a wash , that Jones should be just as good as Burrow. But turn on the game tape and its clearly evident at least in my opinion that Burrow is the much better QB. Jones does everything right its just that he doesn't seen to have the "it" factor , what that "it" is , is hard to describe.

10 hours ago, JTJet said:

That's a fair point. I'm just saying that if anyone is basing their opinions off of analytics of how many games a college player starts in, then dont forget to view what's right there in front of us as well, and in front of us is Mac Jones putting up better numbers against tougher competition, and doing it consistently. 

When you have all day to throw and have first round talent at all positions, it's a mismatch no matter what team you're playing. The numbers were so skewed all season because Smith, Waddle (before injury) can get open quickly and take a screen pass for 20 or more yards every time they touch it. He was accurate for sure and played a great game, but when it comes to evaluating him I would think he's significantly behind Justin Fields and Wilson for a reason - not as athletic or as talented throwing the ball. The windows are so small in the NFL.

• Upvote 1

Again, this is why drafting is so important, and why more picks are important.  Better to hit on 50 percent of your picks when you have 10 of them rather than 5.

The NFL doesn't have the luxury the MLB and the NHL have, where you can draft guys who can develop their talents at the Pro-light level in their respective minor-leagues.  QB position is the WORST for that.  If some of these guys had a chance to hone their craft for a few years, they might have better QB play across the league. 

But as its been pointed out by multiple people on here, there is about 3-5 great QB's in this league, and then about 15-20 that can all be lumped into the 'pretty good-good' category.  Then, there seems to be always 4-7 guys who should be replaced.  Rinse and repeat.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, HighPitch said:

everyone says he is a statue but he looked great last night. a few scrambles here and there. 

Im not gonna lie. I think mac might be the most overlooked player in the draft. getting beaten down for being big n slow? A qb isnt really supposed to run. thats a newer concept that came about just because some guy can. This guy is cool as a cucumber and deadly accurate . He kinda reminds me of big ben and thats not a bad thing

i'm in the same zone as you on that take. i thought ben too, and he may not 'run' but it appears like he can work the pocket, he's accurate and can go thru progressions.
edit- that said he's still, at best, 3rd in line.

5 hours ago, k-met57 said:

Alex Smith ran for 600 yards and 10TD’s his last year in college. Mac Jones can barely get out of the pocket.

This.

Jones is an immobile, traditional pocket passer.  He has stood in clean pockets and thrown to wide open receivers.  And he has done everyting you could possible ask, given his situation.  But most successful young QBs in recent years have been mobile, not necessarily running QBs, but mobile enough to avoid pressure, extend plays and make throws.  Jones has put up huge numbers, but pro scouts evaluate the player, his traits and try to project his ability to adapt at the next level.  They don't scout the boxscore. 

He is a very tough evaluation, becuse how do you project that to the pros.  He is not goin gto have the clean pockets he has at Bama, and will be throwing to NFL-sized windows.  He will be playing a very different game at the next level.  He may be able to adjust to the pro game just fine, but I think it is a much harder evaluation for a guy like Jones in his situation.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

This.
Jones is an immobile, traditional pocket passer.  He has stood in clean pockets and thrown to wide open receivers.  And he has done everyting you could possible ask, given his situation.  But most successful young QBs in recent years have been mobile, not necessarily running QBs, but mobile enough to avoid pressure, extend plays and make throws.  Jones has put up huge numbers, but pro scouts evaluate the player, his traits and try to project his ability to adapt at the next level.  They don't scout the boxscore. 
He is a very tough evaluation, becuse how do you project that to the pros.  He is not goin gto have the clean pockets he has at Bama, and will be throwing to NFL-sized windows.  He will be playing a very different game at the next level.  He may be able to adjust to the pro game just fine, but I think it is a much harder evaluation for a guy like Jones in his situation.

It’s tough. He’s a cerebral kid and you can see his future as a coach down the road for sure. In the pro game? The kid can make the throws but he is basically a statue out there...and he’s got a bad knee already. I wouldn’t be comfortable with anything more than a captain Morgan style day 2/3 gamble on him.
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

So Mac Jones is a 1st round QB now? 

Hopefully for someone else pushing better prospects down to us.

In the right situation he can be pretty good if you ask me.

We can talk all we want about clean pockets and bamas talent but the guy simply put the ball where it needed to be and on time most of the time and made good decisions.

He is not a Qb that will carry a team but on a good team he could be good enough to win.