Deshaunapolooza ****Official Deshaun Watson Speculation Megathread**** (Merged eleventy bajillion times)

Rhg1084

5 minutes ago, Boynton Beach Jets said:

The big thing the Jets have over all other teams other then Jaguars is the #2 pick.  This means with the #2 pick the Texans have the choice of Fields or Wilson.  The Dolphins can't offer that to Houston.  If I am the Jets I offer the #2 pick and the choice of #2022 of 1st round picks.  The Texans rid themselves of salary cap and draft the QB plus get to start the QB salary cap at year 1.

The Jets will have the franchise QB and 1st this year and next and move Sam for hopefully a second round pick.

And not a penny more

• Upvote 1

If Watson was really concerned about State income tax, he wouldn't leave the Texans at all.

The AFC South is the most tax friendly division in the league.  He has 10 games a year that he pays no state income tax on.

8 home games in Texas (no state income tax), @ Jags (FL no state income tax) and @ Titans (TN no state income tax).

In addition, Indiana has a flat 3.2% tax rate which of all the states that do have an income tax, is the third lowest (ND and PA are lower), when factoring in the high end of other states progressive tax structure.

So if he was really concerned about taxes, he wouldn't leave at all.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

Because Wilson will be on a rookie contract and is predicted to be a perfect fit for Shanahans system.

So --- Watson + two(possibly 3)  first round picks + $100million

or

Wilson + two to three more 1st round picks and Way less $$$$

And the chances Wilson turns out to be the player Watson is like 10%

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Icer said:

The #2 pick, a 2022 1st, and a 2023 1st

Still a bunch of draft capital and cap space to put pieces around him. Make it happen.

This is where I’m at.  Some will say that’s not enough compensation. 

But the #2 needs to be viewed as so much more than just “one of 3 first round picks” 

Otherwise we could just trade down from #2, hand over 3 firsts and keep the change (which could be another first and two 2’s)

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Who is playing QB? All of those players mean sh*t if you have the worst QB in the nfl starting. 

and if we dont have players around him what prevents Watson from doing the same thing to the Jets that he is doing to Texans. Give Texans as little as possible, they are not is drivers seat.

Just so you guys are clear where Watson ranks among the top QB's, here's PFN's latest QB Power Rankings:

1) Rodgers

2) Mahomes

3) Allen??

#4 – Deshaun Watson, Houston Texans

Season: 16 GP | 301.4 YPG (2nd) | 70.2% (3rd) | 7.1 avg CAY (5th) | 6.1 TD% (10th) | 1.3 INT% (4th) | 30.13 OVM (2nd) | 444 rush yards (5th) | 3 rush TDs (T-9th)

Deshaun Watson just put together a season for the ages, recording career highs in passing yards (4,823), passing scores (33), completion percentage (70.2), and yards per attempt (8.9). His seven interceptions are also the fewest he’s thrown in a single season, including his rookie year, where he appeared in just seven games. It’s easy to see why he’s the only non-playoff passer within the top-five of our 2020 QB power rankings. However, with the Houston Texans in full-blown offseason mode, you have to think some coach is out there salivating about inheriting a top-five NFL quarterback — that’s if he doesn’t force a trade. Could you blame him?

5) Wilson

6) Brady

7) Jackson

8) Tannehill

12) Stafford

30) Darnold

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

I continue to find it hard to believe that Watson would prefer to join a 2-14 team with the added pleasure of paying NJ income tax. 

Marketing and endorsement earning opportunities are much higher in NY than anywhere else he could land. Pretty simple if you look at it as a business move. Some guys play because they love the game, others play because they are motivated by the money. I don’t care what motivates them as long as they produce.

49 minutes ago, RogerVick1980 said:

A top 3-5 Qb at the age of 25 is worth all of that and more.. the Qb position is so much more valuable then any other position

Even if we got all those players in the draft the chances they all become very good isn’t great but let’s say hypothetically they all do for the sake of the argument..

We still have no Qb so even if they hit we aren’t going anywhere till we get it right at that position.

We have all of that and 3 first round picks next year to find a QB.

A franchise Qb for houston having a good passing stats year got 4 wins last year

4 of the top 8 passers in the league last year did not make the playoffs.

If that potential price is acceptable to you then by all means make the trade but you have to look at it as potential players, not just 'a few first round picks'

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, clayton163v said:

I would love to add Watson.  But at what price? 

Three #1s most likely, which is two more #1s than it would take to get Wilson.  Of course, since at least one of those #1s will be in 2022, it will equal a #2 in 2021. So to get Watson we have to pay one more #1 and one #2 than we have to use to get Wilson.

Let's just say that if we get Watson we will have to get lower drafted wide receivers.  As I see it, I would rather take my chances on Watson throwing to two second round wideouts than Wilson throwing to two first round wideouts.

Wouldn't you?

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Boynton Beach Jets said:

The big thing the Jets have over all other teams other then Jaguars is the #2 pick.  This means with the #2 pick the Texans have the choice of Fields or Wilson.  The Dolphins can't offer that to Houston.  If I am the Jets I offer the #2 pick and the choice of #2022 of 1st round picks.  The Texans rid themselves of salary cap and draft the QB plus get to start the QB salary cap at year 1.

The Jets will have the franchise QB and 1st this year and next and move Sam for hopefully a second round pick.

I admit to being a bit of a Darnold fan boy, but I'd sign up for something like this.  Far more reasonable than some of the offers people are shot gunning here.  That #2 with Fields and Wilson available is equal to at least two #1's (probably more) all by itself...

• Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Who is playing QB? All of those players mean sh*t if you have the worst QB in the nfl starting. 

Darnold or a 2nd tier vet this year.  Next year you have three 1st round picks to either pick Qb or trade up for one.

I can ask who are going to be the weapons and defense for watson as a retort.  Watson fashioned 4 wins last year.

Watson is worth pursuing to a point and if the ask is cheap go for it.  But we have a GM and a coach on long term deals.

It's always nice to grab the shinest object in the box but you need more than a Qb to be successful in this league

• Upvote 2

One thing we all have to keep in mind.  The season will be over soon.  All the writers and pundits need something to talk about to keep us interested.  Fun to read and dream but let's not get carried away like we always do every year for 50 plus years. LOL

7 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I admit to being a bit of a Darnold fan boy, but I'd sign up for something like this.  Far more reasonable than some of the offers people are shot gunning here.  That #2 with Fields and Wilson available is equal to at least two #1's (probably more) all by itself...

Yes I would agree with you.  If trade out of #2 I would want a 2022 #1 plus.  So by us trading the #2 pick plus a 2022 #1 is like trading three first picks.   This is parameters  of the deal I would go with.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It's always nice to grab the shinest object in the box but you need more than a Qb to be successful in this league

We finally have a front office structure that is functioning the way good teams function.  We have a GM running it that most football people think knows what he is doing.  Good GMs frequently find people in the lower rounds who play as well as people in the higher rounds.  The major exception to this is QB.  There are only a certain number of good ones, and you have to get one or you don't have squat.

3 hours ago, SR24 said:

This called the “Saleh Factor” and Jets fans are not used to it so it is hard for some of us  to believe  

Are we aware fans of other teams are now saying that the Jets are their second favorite team!!!!!

Amazing!!!

I never thought i would see this happening but happening it is!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

I continue to find it hard to believe that Watson would prefer to join a 2-14 team with the added pleasure of paying NJ income tax. 

Right GM, right coach, plenty of draft capital and cap space.  It's not that far fetched.  Some pretty high-end free agents have signed with the Cleveland Browns the last few seasons, after all.  

Certainly its no more far fetched than Josh Allen's historic career turnaround.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I prefer bacon with my omelettes. If the Texans eat some of that Ludicrous salary and we only give up one of our Ones .. maybe,.

They'll already be eating plenty of salary if they trade him.  Basically all of his guaranteed money will need to be paid out.  What will be left is a QB we're paying an average of about $29M per season.  Very reasonable for a 25-year old, elite franchise QB.

• Upvote 1