Deshaunapolooza ****Official Deshaun Watson Speculation Megathread**** (Merged eleventy bajillion times)

Rhg1084

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Losing draft picks is never fun.  But the only reason we're in this position in the first place was a smart trade involving Jamal Adams.  If Douglas indeed makes the move there should be plenty of confidence in his ability to build around him, given that he's already gotten a LT and solid starting WR in place from last year's draft.

And the whole "not enough fun toys" would be true for Watson here....if he didn't produce without fun toys, AND no moves were made this offseason to upgrade there.  As has been mentioned ad nauseum, there's no reason to believe the Jets can't bring in a WR like Godwin, Allen Robinson, or even a solid one like Corey Davis to assist Watson.  He produced even with Will Fuller as his WR1 so there should be no concern there.  

For the last time, Watson won 4 games last year because of an historically bad defense.  The Jets defense was better last year, Saleh's defenses have produced for years, and the Jets will be able to add more talent there.  A historically bad defense, the 2021 Jets will not be.

I don't want to hear you mention the 4-win 2020 Texans one more time.  You've said it enough for a lifetime.  We get it.  It doesn't apply to Watson or the 2021 Jets, at all.  One more time and you're headed to the ignore list.

Add to that the Texans historically bad player morale and organizational dysfunction. 

After firing Gase, Joe D consolidating power and hiring Saleh and his staff, this franchise is in the ascent - at least from a perception standpoint. 

I think it would be fairly reductionist to say the Texans and Jets are in a similar state at the moment.

Even if we gave up 3 1sts and took on Deshaun's contract, we wouldn't be lacking in draft picks or cap space going forward. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I haven’t watched the video - I know your saying we can and you’re absolutely fuccking right we  can. We have draft capital and $$$. Don’t forget that the minute we fired Gase our team got better. 

it’s honestly a no brainer and any JETS Fan arguing against it is living in denial. 

this is a move that JD absolutely needs to make 3 - 1st round pics okay. Literally just get it done JD. Then we have our new HC that apparently every player loves and our franchise stud QB. We literally would be living.....

All Gas No Brake!

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And the whole "not enough fun toys" would be true for Watson here....if he didn't produce without fun toys, AND no moves were made this offseason to upgrade there.  As has been mentioned ad nauseum, there's no reason to believe the Jets can't bring in a WR like Godwin, Allen Robinson, or even a solid one like Corey Davis to assist Watson.  He produced even with Will Fuller as his WR1 so there should be no concern there.  

Also, I feel like the Jets weppinz situation isn’t as bleak as it appears. I think Darnold lost his nuts and Gase throttled everything back as a result. Crowder, Mims, Herndon, plus Allen Robinson/Godwin/JuJu would look a lot better with a functionable QB, as would the OL. Wasn’t there a stat earlier this year showing Darnold had plenty of time to throw relative to other QBs? 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Building through the draft is nice, and I'm sure its still very much how Douglas would like to do business.

But GM's like long-term job security more.  And there's no better way to guarantee the safety of his job than being set at QB.  Pass on Watson and draft a QB (or kick the can down the road) at your own risk; if it fails, job security goes away very quickly.

Get the QB, add a quality free agent WR, and continue to build through the draft at the other positions on the field.

When the bills are going to the AFC championship game and they are in your division And the Miami team that just came up short from being in the playoffs. You need to make the move for Watson! If you don’t you’re going to be dominated by Allen and the dolphins for the next 3 to 5 years.

Edited by 32EBoozer
Spelling grammar
  • Upvote 3

We're at the point where it seems the Jets are a realistic destination, perhaps even his first choice if all rumors are to be believed.

At some point, Watson has to request a trade and threaten a holdout. 

Because unless Jack Easterby, pictured below, is completely insane - why the F would the Texans let him go?

images.jpg.879345c3cb3193a867b8661df82189a8.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

Link on this?

On 1/21/2021 at 1:28 AM, Mogglez said:

Sorry for responding so late.  I had a busy day.  The only thing I can say with absolute certainty right now is that we are interested and heavily monitoring.  Obviously this isn’t anything that someone else couldn’t tell you but, based on what I was told today (I’m checking all my inboxes right now actually), I can tell you that Watson, himself, has zero issues coming here so I don’t think the NTC will be an issue.  The issue is the cost to get him.  That being said, 2 days ago, I thought this was impossible.  Today...my heart flutters a little bit more.

Personally, and this is just a gut feeling, I think they hire Bieniemy and attempt to smooth this over.  That being said, I have no connections to Houston and have zero idea how bad this situation really is other than what gets reported to the media so my pessimistic gut is useless.

Buckle up.  If this gets to the point where Watson formally requests a trade, the next few weeks are going to be a roller coaster.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

We're at the point where it seems the Jets are a realistic destination, perhaps even his first choice if all rumors are to be believed.

Because unless Jack Easterby, pictured below, is completely insane - why the F would the Texans let him go?

New GM New coach New start. You have to remember that Easterby and Caserio are ex Patriots. They've been taught that no one player is bigger than the team and are willing to trade anybody. This isn't as crazy as you think if you look at where they came from. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

New GM New coach New start. You have to remember that Easterby and Caserio are ex Patriots. They've been taught that no one player is bigger than the team and are willing to trade anybody. This isn't as crazy as you think if you look at where they came from. 

That whole one player isn't bigger than the team thing only works when ya got Brady under center and Beli' scheming up defenses.

I totally get what you're saying, though, I just think that's an insane position to have (from their standpoint) without the two foundations I mentioned above. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

C’mon.... that’s not Easterby.....is it?

4 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

All I have to say is this whole thread says...

JAMAL ADAMS..

HOW DO YOU LIKE DEM (JETS) NOW... CLOWN!!

MRW I see a perfectly looped gif - GIF on Imgur

:) 

Was thinking about this today. 

In terms of Adams, it would be pretty hilarious if the Jets become competitive and Seattle fizzles out. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

All true but there is always a cost analysis and you need to measure the cost not just in nebulous '1st rounders' but in actual potential players you could get with the assets we will have to give up.

I just did a mock where I traded down twice from #2 overall

Lets assume we give up both 1sts this year and our 1st next year for watson. 

The results end up like this:

Devonta Smith - WR

Jaycee Horn - CB

Travis Etienne - RB

Jalen Mayfield - OT

Joe Tryon - Edge

2022 1st rounder (our own)

2022 1st rounder (we got for trading down)

for

Deshaun Watson

Let's play this out - you have Sam playing QB with those assets in a perfect world. My perfect world is this:

Deshaun Watson QB

Allen Robinson - WR1 FA

Denzel Mims - WR2

Jameson Crowder - Slot

Thuney - Guard FA

Center - Draft pick 2nd round

Travis Etienne - RB  2nd round pick)

CB or Edge - 3rd Round Pick

WR - 3rd Round Pick

Edge  or Corner - FA

Beat Pass Rusher - #1 pick next year

My team wins by a landslide even if you ad my free agents to your team.

36 minutes ago, hawk said:

So, since you have a no trade clause, tell them you are no longer playing for them.  You will only allow Jets to trade, and the Jets can offer a 2022 7th.

Sit out a year if they don't trade you. 

I like where your head is at, and your heart is in the right place. Realistically a low ball, with DW forcing the Texans' hand, is the #2 and change. Most people would be fine would with that. I don't think they can realistically accept less than 2 #1s and save face.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, RogerVick1980 said:

A safety got us two firsts back  a 25 year old top 5 Qb is gonna be a lot more expensive then that as he should.

Hes worth giving up a ton for.

Fine....offer the 2 Seahawks #1's they traded us...the ones at the bottom of the first round.

The #2 pick is worth more than those 2 Seahawk picks.

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Wow!!

This is a STUNNING REPORT!!

I have finally found an organization more incompetent than the Jets have been up until now!!

Just Wow!!!

Lets Go Jets!!!

I have a great idea!

Let's put a disgruntled expensive quarterback stuck with a crappy roster on another team with a crappy roster!  In a bigger media market where the new HC and GM will be under immediate win-now pressure!  Genius!

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Also, I feel like the Jets weppinz situation isn’t as bleak as it appears. I think Darnold lost his nuts and Gase throttled everything back as a result. Crowder, Mims, Herndon, plus Allen Robinson/Godwin/JuJu would look a lot better with a functionable QB, as would the OL. Wasn’t there a stat earlier this year showing Darnold had plenty of time to throw relative to other QBs? 

Thought 1:  Watson puts up great numbers with crappy weapons, so if we do this, spend all the money and draft equity on defense.  It would be like the Rex Era with a markedly better quarterback.

Thought 2:  If the Shanahan System is so wonderful and makes ordinary quarterbacks look elite, who needs Watson?

SAR I

15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Thought 1:  Watson puts up great numbers with crappy weapons, so if we do this, spend all the money and draft equity on defense.  It would be like the Rex Era with a markedly better quarterback.

Thought 2:  If the Shanahan System is so wonderful and makes ordinary quarterbacks look elite, who needs Watson?

SAR I

For all the talk about the “Shanahan System,” why does nobody mention that the “Shanahan System” has never really won anything since Mike Shanahan was running it? 

7 hours ago, slats said:

I continue to find it hard to believe that Watson would prefer to join a 2-14 team with the added pleasure of paying NJ income tax. 

I know, I'm thinking, "Prefers. Prefers! What? WHY. It's a salient question. You'd think the fight or flight response would point to RUNNING AWAY instead of RUNNING TOWARDS and enaging a shapeless, formless milquetoast menace that has no name. No home. Whatever."