Deshaunapolooza ****Official Deshaun Watson Speculation Megathread**** (Merged eleventy bajillion times)

Rhg1084

27 minutes ago, football guy said:

It's flattering to see that one of the best players in the NFL genuinely wants to be traded here of all places. The reputation of the team among players has changed overnight since Saleh arrived.

It's also amazing considering that Woody has been accused of things that many social justice advocates would seek to "cancel" him for, as well as having been a Trump Admin official and proud supporter... it goes to show that Deshaun's apparent grievances with ownership have very little to do about social justice and more to do with not wanting to play for a team that's destined for a long rebuild...

Anyhow, as I said earlier in the week, I think there's a very slim chance Deshaun is traded to the Jets. Would be great, and I'm sure Joe is looking into it (as he does any major trade), but I can't see Houston trading him within the conference nor do I see them trading him

Agreed.

If it gets to that point, I fully expect Joe to be ready to get involved.

That said, I still can’t fathom Houston letting it get to that point.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

This is just my opinion, but I firmly believe that this is a leverage play to get his way after being shafted by Houston so many times.

Could be completely wrong, but would there not be some sort of contract/legal grey area, whereby if he formally requests a trade he will then forego his 'no-trade' clause and lose control over the process? 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Maybe it has something to do with Chris Johnson being on the other side of the aisle when it comes to how the players express themselves?

Woody Johnson has been gone for a while so perhaps players, especially those outside of the organization, are unaware of his political ideology.  Let's hope he keeps out of those matters upon his return, as the one good thing you can say about Chris Johnson was him advocating for the players in that regard.

Not to mention that the Jets did hire Saleh who did not even get an interview with Houston (wasn't Houston the only team with a HC opening that didn't interview Saleh?).

So Jets >>> Texans

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Question: If all this is true, why hasn’t Watson requested a trade yet?

Two fold.

1. Its a bad look.

2. There is no coming back from it and we are all still in speculation still. None of us really know his motivation is yet. That move would remove all speculation. 

1 minute ago, morny said:

Could be completely wrong, but would there not be some sort of contract/legal grey area, whereby if he formally requests a trade he will then forego his 'no-trade' clause and lose control over the process? 

I’m not well versed in contracts...but I do not believe so.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Darnold or a 2nd tier vet this year.  Next year you have three 1st round picks to either pick Qb or trade up for one.

I can ask who are going to be the weapons and defense for watson as a retort.  Watson fashioned 4 wins last year.

Watson is worth pursuing to a point and if the ask is cheap go for it.  But we have a GM and a coach on long term deals.

It's always nice to grab the shinest object in the box but you need more than a Qb to be successful in this league

Why do you keep saying the Jets won't be able to bring guys in if they trade for him? If they gave up their next 3 first round picks ('21, 22', 23') they'd still have 17 picks in the next 2 drafts including 1st round picks in the next 2 years.  Plus the 2nd most cap space in the nfl.  That narrative that you're trying to sell is just not accurate. 

Think about it this. Say the Jets stay at 2 and draft a player. His cap hit year 1 is a little over $6 million. Watsons cap hit is $11 million for 2021. In theory for 2021 the only pick you'd lose is the 2nd overall. So would you rather have a rookie player and $5 million in additional cap space or Watson? To me its a no brainer

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

All of that is worth trading for Watson.  

Fun toys like Devonta Smith and Travis Etienne don't mean a whole lot if the team doesn't have a QB.  

Watson won 4 games , why?....because he never had fun toys.

And that is fine, as long as people look beyond the netherworld '1st rounders' and realize that these first rounders and especially the #2 overall pick have massive value and will parlay into a LOT of high end talent all over the roster.

It is also amusing to see people who have been saying how awesome sauce our draft was last year are now downgrading real talent this year just because of watson.

Just now, Beerfish said:

False.

Watson won 4 games because while their offense increased from 378 to 384 points scored from 2019 to 2020, their defense increased from 385 to 464 points given up.

And, if anything, Watson's stats from 2020 prove just what he can do without "fun toys."

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

10 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Not to mention that the Jets did hire Saleh who did not even get an interview with Houston (wasn't Houston the only team with a HC opening that didn't interview Saleh?).

So Jets >>> Texans

I think I read that they were the only team not to REQUEST to interview him...which I believe may have made it worse to him.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Agreed.

Just my sense, but they're going to hire either a McCown/Caldwell combo, a Bieniemy/Caldwell combo, or Frazier

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

So he's missed one game in the last three years?  Sign me up.

Yup. 

Our current QB1 has never started 16 games in a season 

Another QB folks want to draft has a major shoulder concern....not sure what’s the point of bringing up Watson’s injury history as if we have a more durable solution on the horizon 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

So he's missed one game in the last three years?  Sign me up.

And, that one game he missed was week 17 of the 2019 season.  After Houston had clinched their Division a week earlier.  Something we would not know about.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The #2 pick—which would be the centerpiece of this deal—will either be Zack Wilson or Justin Fields. The rest of the package will be the #23, which is sort of no-man’s land this year, and whatever pick Saleh+Watson produces in 2022, which would reasonably end up in the mid-teens. IMO, if you’re telling me I can have Deshaun Watson for Zack Wilson, whatever guard you were going to draft at 23, and whoever will be available at 15 next year, it’s a no-brainer. Add in the thought that you can, with Watson, bait a top receiver here in free agency, and your trade is then Watson and Allen Robinson for Zack Wilson, the third-ranked guard prospect in this year’s draft, and the #15 next year.  

I approve this message 

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Agreed.

Houston should have never let it get to the point we’re currently at....there’s nothing stopping the last thread on the button to pop...

I agree with you that it only makes sense to find some reconciliation with your 25 year old Franchise QB, and there’s a significant chance they will...but the higher ups in Houston have proven to be erratic so there’s no telling what happens from here...If “God Speaks to them” to make a hire like Josh McCown as HC that’s probably the final straw....

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

And that is fine, as long as people look beyond the netherworld '1st rounders' and realize that these first rounders and especially the #2 overall pick have massive value and will parlay into a LOT of high end talent all over the roster.

It is also amusing to see people who have been saying how awesome sauce our draft was last year are now downgrading real talent this year just because of watson.

Texans Defense was bottom 5 in most metrics and the run game was non existant for most of the year.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Yeetin It said:

It’s not like he’s a 34 year old QB. He’s only 25. That leaves many years to build around him

New coaching staff, a bunch of assets to lure players, a nice haul of draft picks - we will compete immediately with Watson. How much fun would it be to watch him throwing to Mims, Robinson, Crowder and Herndon with a 3rd round running back and a first or second round center to play next to Thuney. It's all right there for us.

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Question: If all this is true, why hasn’t Watson requested a trade yet?

There’s really no reason to at the moment. It’s still the 2020 season, Houston still has to hire a HC and they still have time to present a plan to Watson to put him at ease

56 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Agreed.

Even if Watson becomes available, and JD wants to get involved, I just have a hard time seeing him being the high bidder. I think he values draft picks very highly. I don’t think he gives two ****s about the Gholstons and Lam Joneses of Jets’ past, nor should he. 

Watson is a distraction right now, but I think in the end he’s gonna look to build the team thru the draft like he always planned to. 

• Post of the Week 1

58 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Why are you casually ignoring the 2018 and 2019 season when he won 21 games combined?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Right GM, right coach, plenty of draft capital and cap space.  It's not that far fetched.  Some pretty high-end free agents have signed with the Cleveland Browns the last few seasons, after all.  

Certainly its no more far fetched than Josh Allen's historic career turnaround.  

Right GM, right coach. Remember that when Darnold's under center next year.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Even if Watson becomes available, and JD wants to get involved, I just have a hard time seeing him being the high bidder. I think he values draft picks very highly. I don’t think he gives two ****s about the Gholstons and Lam Joneses of Jets’ past, nor should he. 

Watson is a distraction right now, but I think in the end he’s gonna look to build the team thru the draft like he always planned to. 

Or, he just watched his former franchise nuke themselves from space by waiting on a young, talented QB prospect and is thinking to himself that maybe it’d be kinda cool to just lock that position down for the foreseeable future. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Losing draft picks is never fun.  But the only reason we're in this position in the first place was a smart trade involving Jamal Adams.  If Douglas indeed makes the move there should be plenty of confidence in his ability to build around him, given that he's already gotten a LT and solid starting WR in place from last year's draft.

And the whole "not enough fun toys" would be true for Watson here....if he didn't produce without fun toys, AND no moves were made this offseason to upgrade there.  As has been mentioned ad nauseum, there's no reason to believe the Jets can't bring in a WR like Godwin, Allen Robinson, or even a solid one like Corey Davis to assist Watson.  He produced even with Will Fuller as his WR1 so there should be no concern there.  

For the last time, Watson won 4 games last year because of an historically bad defense.  The Jets defense was better last year, Saleh's defenses have produced for years, and the Jets will be able to add more talent there.  A historically bad defense, the 2021 Jets will not be.

I don't want to hear you mention the 4-win 2020 Texans one more time.  You've said it enough for a lifetime.  We get it.  It doesn't apply to Watson or the 2021 Jets, at all.  One more time and you're headed to the ignore list.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, slats said:

How would you rate JDs last draft from what you saw on the field? Yes I know you can’t judge 1 yr. yada, yada. This year and next will determine the fate of this team for the next 5 years. Do you trust him?

Watson fulfills the largest hole in this organization in 50 years. All the other players can be filled in a number of ways. Qb....... much more difficult. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, slats said:

Building through the draft is nice, and I'm sure its still very much how Douglas would like to do business.

But GM's like long-term job security more.  And there's no better way to guarantee the safety of his job than being set at QB.  Pass on Watson and draft a QB (or kick the can down the road) at your own risk; if it fails, job security goes away very quickly.

Get the QB, add a quality free agent WR, and continue to build through the draft at the other positions on the field.

• Upvote 1