2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

24 minutes ago, football guy said:

These are some moves that *could* happen today (I'm sure I'm missing some and none of these may end up even landing, but just some names that have been connected either by my own research/homework or from things I heard throughout the offseason

• Trade for DE Derek Barnett (PHI)
  • Trade for LB Kenny Young (LAR)
  • Sign QB C.J. Beathard (SF) to a 1-year deal 
  • Sign QB Nick Mullens (SF) to a 1-year deal 
  • Sign WR Marquise Goodwin (SF/PHI) to a 1-year deal 
  • Sign WR Keelan Cole (JAX) to a 1-year deal 
  • Sign RB Marlon Mack (IND) to a 1-year deal
  • Sign RB Phillip Lindsay (DEN) to an RFA offer-sheet 
  • Sign TE Gerald Everett (LAR) to a 1-year deal 
  • Sign TE Trey Burton (IND) to a 1-year deal 
  • Sign OL Hroniss Grasu (SF) to a 1-year dealn
  • Sign DL Sheldon Rankins (NO) to a 2-year deal 
  • Sign DE Kerry Hyder (SF) to a 1-year deal 
  • Sign DE Ronald Blair III (SF) to a 1-year deal
  • Sign LB/SS Keanu Neal (ATL) to a 3-year deal 
  • Sign LB Anthony Walker (IND) to a 1-year deal 
  • Sign FS/DB Ricardo Allen (ATL) to a 1-year deal 
  • Sign FS/DB Jaquiski Tartt (SF) to a 1-year deal
  • Sign CB K'Waun Williams (SF) to a 3-year deal 
  • Sign CB Rasul Douglas (CAR) to a 1-year deal 
  • Sign CB Kevin King (GB) to a 1-year deal

Still a lot of moves to be made. I'm holding out hope for Curtis Samuel, but I don't think it's going to happen. 

I'm shocked at the production of Anthony Walker:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3045251/anthony-walker

Keelan Cole's production is surprising also:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3071572/keelan-cole-sr

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

He said he wants to build through the draft yet nobody believes him..](*,)

There's a difference between "wants to build through the draft" and "can build through the draft."  If Ashtyn Davis and Jabari Zuniga looked like they'd be starters this year on D I'd have more confidence.  If we weren't so concerned about OG after drafting Cam Clarke last year I'd be more confident.  If La'Michal Perine looked like a RB1 I'd be more confident.

Not hammering those picks, rookies take time to develop especially in the COVID era with no proper offseason last year.  But it looks like we got two starters out of last year's Draft.  At that rate it will take 5 years just to Draft starters on one side of the ball.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Obviously the Jets have made some incredibly bad contract decisions in FA since 2016 mostly on McCoffeeDickHeads watch.

However it brings to mind a concept few people talk about:

The NFL draft and free agency system is structured in a way that keeps good teams good and bad teams bad for the most part.

The heart of the problem is the compensatory draft pick system. Good teams that have depth can let some of their FAs go and a rewarded with sometimes several picks and picks as high as bottom of the third round. Additional picks lead to additional good players which leads to additional depth.

On the other hand bad teams with holes everywhere are forced to use FA to round out their roster. Since they do not have good players leaving they also don't get compensatory picks and because of that is is also more difficult for those teams to build the roster through the draft and it becomes a vicious circle. It can be escaped of course by getting a FQB and hitting big on some mid-late round picks but it is very difficult.

It is a system very much like the tax code that lets assholes like Buffett, Gates and Trump pay no taxes but middle income people are getting crushed by them.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Obviously the Jets have made some incredibly bad contract decisions in FA since 2016 mostly on McCoffeeDickHeads watch.

However it brings to mind a concept few people talk about:

The NFL draft and free agency system is structured in a way that keeps good teams good and bad teams bad for the most part.

The heart of the problem is the compensatory draft pick system. Good teams that have depth can let some of their FAs go and a rewarded with sometimes several picks and picks as high as bottom of the third round. Additional picks lead to additional good players which leads to additional depth.

On the other hand bad teams with holes everywhere are forced to use FA to round out their roster. Since they do not have good players leaving they also don't get compensatory picks and because of that is is also more difficult for those teams to build the roster through the draft and it becomes a vicious circle. It can be escaped of course by getting a FQB and hitting big on some mid-late round picks but it is very difficult.

It is a system very much like the tax code that lets assholes like Buffett, Gates and Trump pay no taxes but middle income people are getting crushed by them.

I'm not convinced that a few late round picks here and there disrupt the balance of the league.

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

Correct. The main contention against adding one of the OL was that 5-year deals were out of the question. I know some people are very pro-player and look at these things kind of emotionally (i.e. "teams cut players all the time why should a guy adhere to his contract"), but in a way Douglas knows how to separate the person from the asset. At the end of the day, he's an asset manager with supply chain responsibilities. His goal is to build through the draft, create pipelines at positions, have the coaches develop those players while fostering a competitive roster on the fly to ensure that they don't miss a beat.

• He won't go beyond 4 years on a free agent. 
  • He won't tie guaranteed money beyond 2 years. 
  • He won't give up more than his valuation of a player. 

If they come across a player in the draft or in free agency that develops into a cornerstone player, by all means he'll shell out long contracts for big dollars. But otherwise, he's mostly going to use free agency to plug holes as they target guys to draft and develop as eventual replacements. 

This was beat into my head very early in my career on a Wall St. trading desk by the head of our desk. Used to tell us....."stocks don't have feelings. They don't know you own them."  Different profession, same message.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, KRL said:

I'm shocked at the production of Anthony Walker:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3045251/anthony-walker

Keelan Cole's production is surprising also:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3071572/keelan-cole-sr

Keelan Cole is a really good slot receiver. He will have his moments, just not sure how he fits with Crowder around.

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

There's a difference between "wants to build through the draft" and "can build through the draft."  If Ashtyn Davis and Jabari Zuniga looked like they'd be starters this year on D I'd have more confidence.  If we weren't so concerned about OG after drafting Cam Clarke last year I'd be more confident.  If La'Michal Perine looked like a RB1 I'd be more confident.

Not hammering those picks, rookies take time to develop especially in the COVID era with no proper offseason last year.  But it looks like we go two starters out of last year's Draft.  At that rate it will take 50 years just to Draft starters on one side of the ball especially since last year we sent a few of our starters packing

fixed for u

I love when folks point to bad teams that have spent big money and it has not worked out-there is reason those teams are bad-they cant judge talent via the draft of free agency and are usually terrible organizations. 

There are teams that have brought in big names through FA  and trades and it has worked out just fine for them 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Feels like this one might actually happen.

The question then would be the dominoes that fall.  At #8 the Texans would potentially be outside the area to get a Top 4-5 QB, but could they be interested in trading for Sam Darnold or would Teddy Bridgewater be going to Houston in that trade?

9 hours ago, QB1 said:

We can’t live in a world where someone posting a rambling incoherent accusation on Instagram is considered in any way serious or legitimate 

We can't? We do. That's just where we are - better adapt, because reason has gone the way of the dinosaur.

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The question then would be the dominoes that fall.  At #8 the Texans would potentially be outside the area to get a Top 4-5 QB, but could they be interested in trading for Sam Darnold or would Teddy Bridgewater be going to Houston in that trade?

Don't forget, they just signed Tyrod Taylor.

13 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

When you look at the roster the texans had just 2 years ago and if you place all of the decisions on Bill O'brien, has anyone had such a negative effect on a franchise as he did in such a short time? 

13 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Also, Texans reportedly wanted defensive players in trade. Panthers killed it last year in the draft with Derrick Brown at #1 and Jeremy Chin at #3.  Nobody could match that.

52 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

I’m hoping Douglas was right on this one. The contract and APY is solid (which Douglas uses as his primary buy or sell point), and the guarantees indicate that he feels really good about the player. 

There’s a lot to like about Davis. Young, team player, looks the part, clearly talented, has the attributes of a No. 1 receiver... I just wonder how the Jets plan to maximize the production of both he and Mims

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, section314 said:

You're seriously asking this to Jets fans??

When I read it in a reply - can't argue - you are 100% correct however, he did not get rid of talent the way they did in Houston - possibly because we simply did not have any. 

Jets free agency 2021 LIVE UPDATES: Sam Darnold trade market drying up, as Bears, Washington add Andy Dalton, Ryan Fitzpatrick | Latest rumors

Updated 6:45 AM; Today 6:45 AM 

New York Jets general manager Joe Douglas has made some big moves so far in free agency. AP

Facebook Share

Twitter Share

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Day 2 of 2021 NFL free agency is in the books.

The negotiating window opened at noon Monday, and as usual, plenty of deals were finalized. Even more deals happened Tuesday, on Day 2.

And remember, the official signing period doesn’t start until 4 p.m. Wednesday.

Keep it right here Wednesday for all the Day 3 free agency news, rumors, and live updates related to the Jets, as general manager Joe Douglas tries to improve his roster.

Let’s catch you up on what has happened so far ...

WHO DID JETS SIGN ON DAY 2?

• Saints CB Justin Hardee (special teams player)

WHO DID JETS SIGN ON DAY 1?

• Lions ILB Jarrad Davis

• Bengals edge rusher Carl Lawson

• Titans WR Corey Davis

WHAT ELSE HAS HAPPENED?

• Is the Jets’ potential trade market for quarterback Sam Darnold quickly disappearing?

Cowboys backup Andy Dalton on Tuesday signed with the Bears, so he’ll have a chance to compete for their starting job. The Bears were considered a possible trade destination for Darnold. Ditto for Washington, which just signed Ryan Fitzpatrick. Plus, Ben Roethlisberger is returning to the Steelers. And the Colts traded with the Eagles for Carson Wentz.

• The Jets might want to trade middle linebacker C.J. Mosley, especially now that they have signed the cheaper Davis. But Mosley’s lucrative contract will make that tough.

WHAT’S NEXT FOR JETS?

Douglas’ most glaring remaining need is outside cornerback. He needs to get two starters there, either in free agency or the draft. As for the slot, last year’s starter, Brian Poole, is a free agent, but could be re-signed.

These corners have already been signed: Ahkello Witherspoon (49ers to Seahawks), Shaquill Griffin (Seahawks to Jaguars), Michael Davis (re-signed with Chargers), Jason Verrett (re-signed with 49ers), Mike Hilton (Steelers to Bengals), Ronald Darby (Washington to Broncos), and William Jackson III (Bengals to Washington). 

Hilton is the only slot corner in that group. The others are outside corners.

These are some intriguing corners who are still available: Richard Sherman (49ers), K’Waun Williams (49ers), Troy Hill (Rams), Patrick Peterson (Cardinals), Casey Hayward (Chargers/released), and Kevin King (Packers).

The slot corners in that group — Williams and Hill. So there are outside corner options, though Sherman, Peterson, and Hayward are all older. They’ll be 33, 31, and 32 years old, respectively, when next season starts.

Remember, new Jets coach Robert Saleh was the 49ers’ defensive coordinator before he came to Florham Park this offseason. So he is familiar with Sherman and Williams.

WHERE DID POTENTIAL JETS TARGETS LAND?

• Buccaneers edge rusher Shaq Barrett — re-signed

• Packers C Corey Linsley — Chargers

• Saints edge rusher Trey Hendrickson — Bengals

• Patriots OG Joe Thuney — Chiefs

• Ravens edge rusher Matthew Judon — Patriots

• Steelers edge rusher Bud Dupree — Titans

• Ravens edge rusher Yannick Ngakoue — Raiders

• Rams edge rusher Leonard Floyd — re-signed

• Titans TE Jonnu Smith — Patriots

• Chargers CB Michael Davis — re-signed

• Chargers TE Hunter Henry — Patriots