2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I discussed this with the mods before responding to this.  There was a consensus so I feel comfortable saying this now.

There was nothing wrong with @Doggin94it's post.  Certainly you can feel free to disagree, but your response was beyond that.  Particularly and mostly when you start it off the way you did and the end of your fourth point.  While it doesn't feel worthy of anything more, I do think you may want to consider where this came from because it feels really out of proportion.

If you have a beef with a particular poster, take it up in a private message.  Don't do it this way.  

Sorry I rustled some feathers. Didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

damn Chicago gave a huge offer and Seattle declined 

Came here to mention this. A good reference point for Watson, whose price could arguably be lower (Wilson isn't threatening to sit out and Watson's future salaries are higher than Wilson's) or higher (Watson is younger and under team control for longer; Wilson would immediately want to rework that deal), plus the Jets' first two available first round picks (2 and 23 overall in 21) are significantly more valuable than what the Bears had available to offer (20 overall and a 2022 No. 1).

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

If that happens I would almost bet that at least half the teams in the league never deal with Caserio again. Especially if other teams have better offers on the table. 

see: D'Andre Hopkins for a 2nd round pick and David Johnson. 

I doubt they even fielded offers, because Hopkins is top 3 WR in the NFL and many teams would have been interested.  That whole trade still doesn't pass the smell test.  There is something egregiously wrong in Houston and we surely don't know what it is.  I'll bet Watson and Watt know.  Warrants chronicling IMO.  Can't wait till the reveal. I bet it shuts some people up here.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GodDamnSnack said:

Those 3 firsts would all be in the 24-32 range if the Bears got Wilson. Those 3 picks are worth about the same as our #2 overall pick this year, if not less.

True but I'd love to know who the starters were.  If one was Mack or Eddie Jackson, it's a pretty solid offer which tells me SEA wasn't really that serious about moving Wilson.  Totally their right but I wonder if Wilson is going to be salty this year.  Frankly, I have no beef with that franchise but this particular year, anything that dings their W-L record is good by me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GodDamnSnack said:

Exactly. I can't understand how people think favors like this are a real thing. The owner of the team will want to know what all the offers are for Watson, and won't care if Caserio is friends with ol' Billy.

If he's traded, it'll be in a deal that is meant to help the Texans as much as possible, not the Patriots.

Does Houston think that way?  Can you explain the Hopkins trade to us then?  (Nuke for Arizona 2nd round pick and David Johnson).  

12 minutes ago, football guy said:

I’m hoping Douglas was right on this one. The contract and APY is solid (which Douglas uses as his primary buy or sell point), and the guarantees indicate that he feels really good about the player. 

There’s a lot to like about Davis. Young, team player, looks the part, clearly talented, has the attributes of a No. 1 receiver... I just wonder how the Jets plan to maximize the production of both he and Mims

I'm really excited about Davis - I think signing younger players to shorter deals who still have upwards growth projections is the way all teams should handle giving out larger contracts in FA. I was listening to the athletic's football podcast - and they actually loved the fit with Mims. They thought Davis would be a great Z in this offense with Mims being the X. He has good speed/YAC ability and apparently has good ability to handle screens/short passes and generate yards after catch. More than anything though I believe he is a talented/culture fit who should fit this scheme well with his toughness and blocking ability and at the end of the day we need more talent at the WR position. If the problem the Jets face is they have two extremely talented WRs who can play out wide I'd rather deal with that than how to maximize talent amongst a group that has relatively little of it.

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, GodDamnSnack said:

Those 3 firsts would all be in the 24-32 range if the Bears got Wilson. Those 3 picks are worth about the same as our #2 overall pick this year, if not less.

Very important point.

The Jets offering the #2 and #23 for Russell Wilson blows away the Chicago offer.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Correct. The main contention against adding one of the OL was that 5-year deals were out of the question. I know some people are very pro-player and look at these things kind of emotionally (i.e. "teams cut players all the time why should a guy adhere to his contract"), but in a way Douglas knows how to separate the person from the asset. At the end of the day, he's an asset manager with supply chain responsibilities. His goal is to build through the draft, create pipelines at positions, have the coaches develop those players while fostering a competitive roster on the fly to ensure that they don't miss a beat.

• He won't go beyond 4 years on a free agent. 
  • He won't tie guaranteed money beyond 2 years. 
  • He won't give up more than his valuation of a player. 

If they come across a player in the draft or in free agency that develops into a cornerstone player, by all means he'll shell out long contracts for big dollars. But otherwise, he's mostly going to use free agency to plug holes as they target guys to draft and develop as eventual replacements. 

It's so refreshing to read things like this as we have not have had any competent FO personnel in a very long time. I know a lot of people want the winner now but JD is doing this right and as the old saying goes Patience is a virtue it means a bit more now more than ever.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, GodDamnSnack said:

And without Wilson in 2021 the Seahawks 2022 1st (which we all know is the Jets property) could be a top 5 pick. 

So IMO Seahawks won't trade him this season