2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

8 hours ago, football guy said:

Some change in tune on Curtis Samuel... more optimistic today than yesterday that the Jets will land him. His reps are pushing him in our direction. Personally, I would much rather have him than any other FA that is available ??

Still think we get beat out on Thuney by Cincinnati, but we can hope.

Don't think many other splash moves. Maybe DE? I think Jets will trade for Derek Barnett before the start of the league year, potentially this weekend, rather than pay big money for a guy on the market. Phillip Lindsay, John Brown are some under-the-radar names who Jets will show interest in. 

Kwon Alexander is an interesting name to keep an eye on. I doubt he plays much at all this year, and will assuredly start the season on the PUP. However, there's a chance the market for the Jets' LB targets (Matt Milano) just explodes, and they won't look to overpay anyone. Kwon is only 26, has a good relationship with Saleh, and the Jets may be able to swing a 2-for-1 by signing a cheap veteran plus Kwon rather than spend big on a LB. The other possibility is expressing interest in signing KA to a "long-term" deal- think Kevin Durant- a year ahead of time while stashing him on IR this year, but it would have very little guarantees, if any. 

Does Curtis Samuel originally being from NYC play into it or is that BS that people like me make too much of a big deal of? The thing about Thuney is that I have my doubts about him wanting to play for the Jets after having a front row seat (as a Patriot) to how dreadful the Jets have been for the last few years. Regarding Barnett, I'd be down (especially if the Jets can figure out a way to include Brandon Brooks in the deal). Adding Brandon Brooks and, say, Corey Lindsey, would completely remake the OL. 

7 hours ago, chad2coles said:

Is there any actual evidence that McGovern is a better guard than center? My impression is that a McGovern/Thuney combo is better than a Linsley/McGovern combo. 

It's not whether McGovern is a better guard than center, its whether he is a better guard than Alex Lewis or GVR. If yes, then signing Linsley improves 2 spots vs. 1. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Does Curtis Samuel originally being from NYC play into it or is that BS that people like me make too much of a big deal of? The thing about Thuney is that I have my doubts about him wanting to play for the Jets after having a front row seat (as a Patriot) to how dreadful the Jets have been for the last few years. Regarding Barnett, I'd be down (especially if the Jets can figure out a way to include Brandon Brooks in the deal). Adding Brandon Brooks and, say, Corey Lindsey, would completely remake the OL. 

Regarding Samuel, I hope so.  I'd love for him to be a Jet. It will be interesting to see what he signs for.  I agree with Sims, he will get more than originally thought.  

• Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, maury77 said:

It's not whether McGovern is a better guard than center, its whether he is a better guard than Alex Lewis or GVR. If yes, then signing Linsley improves 2 spots vs. 1. 

Thuney playing next to McGovern improves 2 spots with McGovern not having to cover for a bad LG. if the difference bw Thuney and McGovern at G is bigger than the difference of linsley and McGovern at c, don’t you go w thuney?

44 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I don’t think it has much to do with it. Again let me preface that his agents are the ones specifically advising him Jets. They see it as an opportunity where he’s most likely to thrive, and therefore will set himself up to to cash-in big time on his next contract. Jets lack of playmakers at WR/RB and the scheme have everything to do with it. Doesn’t hurt that the Jets have cash to pay right now, whereas half the league is going to try to defer guaranteed money payouts. So while I don’t know what Samuel thinks/wants, I know his agents are in our corner.

RE: Thuney

I think the Jets have the best reputation among players that they’ve had since Rex Ryan in 2009-11. 

I don’t know where Brandon Brooks is coming from, but I do think Barnett is a name to watch. I don’t think PHI wants to give him up so easily, so likely a trade rather than getting cut

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, football guy said:

Some change in tune on Curtis Samuel... more optimistic today than yesterday that the Jets will land him. His reps are pushing him in our direction. Personally, I would much rather have him than any other FA that is available ??

Don't think many other splash moves. Maybe DE? I think Jets will trade for Derek Barnett before the start of the league year, potentially this weekend, rather than pay big money for a guy on the market. Phillip Lindsay, John Brown are some under-the-radar names who Jets will show interest in. 

Kwon Alexander is an interesting name to keep an eye on. I doubt he plays much at all this year, and will assuredly start the season on the PUP. However, there's a chance the market for the Jets' LB targets (Matt Milano) just explodes, and they won't look to overpay anyone. Kwon is only 26, has a good relationship with Saleh, and the Jets may be able to swing a 2-for-1 by signing a cheap veteran plus Kwon rather than spend big on a LB. The other possibility is expressing interest in signing KA to a "long-term" deal- think Kevin Durant- a year ahead of time while stashing him on IR this year, but it would have very little guarantees, if any. 

Great news on samuels, I think for the money he will cost we will get the most return out of him.

Not as worried about not getting thuney as I once was since so many guards have been released and there are now plenty of options.

20 minutes ago, football guy said:

I don’t think it has much to do with it. Again let me preface that his agents are the ones specifically advising him Jets. They see it as an opportunity where he’s most likely to thrive, and therefore will set himself up to to cash-in big time on his next contract. Jets lack of playmakers at WR/RB and the scheme have everything to do with it. Doesn’t hurt that the Jets have cash to pay right now, whereas half the league is going to try to defer guaranteed money payouts. So while I don’t know what Samuel thinks/wants, I know his agents are in our corner.

I think the Jets have the best reputation among players that they’ve had since Rex Ryan in 2009-11. 

I don’t know where Brandon Brooks is coming from, but I do think Barnett is a name to watch. I don’t think PHI wants to give him up so easily, so likely a trade rather than getting cut

Wit all those names in FA and we just get out with samuel and a trade for barnett, that would be a good kick in the nuts

49 minutes ago, chad2coles said:

Thuney playing next to McGovern improves 2 spots with McGovern not having to cover for a bad LG. if the difference bw Thuney and McGovern at G is bigger than the difference of linsley and McGovern at c, don’t you go w thuney?

Again, this is a deep draft with OL.  Why not fill it with a cheap rookie contract and spend more money on a WR, an Edge Rusher, and a CB?  I really don't get the love for Thuney, especially when there have been suggestions we should throw whatever money necessary to get him.  THAT philosophy has got this team into trouble time, after time, after time, after time, after....

1426921652_ScreenShot2021-03-11at8_55_25AM.thumb.png.0ce2592104cfaca17e60d63fcd0f22af.png

35 minutes ago, football guy said:

This is where Brandon Brooks is coming from 

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1368897266606608385?s=20

I'd be very happy with Curtis Samuel.

Would be pretty upset if he's the biggest ticket free agent. I don't expect some Tannenbaum spree, but I need more than Curtis Samuel. 

Kwon Alexander is interesting. Nervous about his injury history, but he clearly fits scheme + need. 

• With Mosley’s contract I’d really like to avoid spending big on another ILB. Skip Milano.
  • Samuel would be the top offensive option for this free agency (not counting the franchised guys of course)
  • Barnett would be a good get for sure, and trading for him is a good way to no overspend on edge this offseason.
  • Losing out on Thuney will suck... but getting Linsley would soften that blow to where it evens out, as moving McGovern to guard will be 2 birds 1 stone. Zach Wilson will need all the OL help he can get.

58 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I'd be very happy with Curtis Samuel.

Would be pretty upset if he's the biggest ticket free agent. I don't expect some Tannenbaum spree, but I need more than Curtis Samuel. 

Kwon Alexander is interesting. Nervous about his injury history, but he clearly fits scheme + need. 

Samuel is kinda jaggy

Chiefs release both Eric Fisher & Mitchell Schwartz per Schefter. 

I'm optimistic about Fant in the new scheme and all, but given the options available I'm curious to see if the Jets just ride it out with him or try and re-structure his contract given he is probably a stop-gap anyway and there are likely better stop-gaps we can get that will be cheaper. If they don't cut him or restructure they must be really high on him to pass on all the tackles in the market at the moment (Schwartz, Fisher, Riley Reiff, etc) 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

We can draft a RG. Should be some good ones as deep as ths 4th rd 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

I'm optimistic about Fant in the new scheme and all, but given the options available I'm curious to see if the Jets just ride it out with him or try and re-structure his contract given he is probably a stop-gap anyway and there are likely better stop-gaps we can get that will be cheaper. If they don't cut him or restructure they must be really high on him to pass on all the tackles in the market at the moment (Schwartz, Fisher, Riley Reiff, etc) 

Schwartz got released???? Wasn't he elite fairly recently?

5 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

I'd love Eric Fisher but I don't think he'd move to RT

17 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Samuel is kinda jaggy

Generally speaking, the best free agent signings are players that fit your scheme better than they did their previous team's scheme. There's a 'buying below market price' element to those deals.

I think Curtis Samuel to a team playing the Shanny system is that type of deal. 

Anyways, I'll definitely be frustrated if he's the biggest FA we snag. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Chiefsplanet in a bit of a meltdown over this, but it saves them a big amount on the cap, even if they're still over it. 

2 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Schwartz got released???? Wasn't he elite fairly recently?

Had back surgery and the team must think he’s not gonna make it back all the way. 

I suspect the Chiefs are gonna throw the bank to Trent Williams or Daryl Williams.

• Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

2 decent players even the Chiefs trimming down. 

9 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I'm fine with either Linsley or Thuney. 

Oh yes. Me too. Can't lose with either one. I think Thuney though might play with more aggression because of division rivalries. Minor point. Could have some merit.

NFL free agency 2021: Ranking Jets’ top 20 targets after franchise tags | Lions’ Kenny Golladay, Steelers’ JuJu Smith-Schuster, more

Updated 6:45 AM; Today 6:45 AM 

Will the Jets sign Kenny Golladay? (AP Photo/Paul Sancya)

Facebook Share

Twitter Share

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

NFL free agency begins Monday, with the opening of the negotiating window.

The signing period starts Wednesday, but many prominent deals are locked in before then.

So with that in mind, let’s rank the Jets’ top 20 available free-agent targets, after franchise tags were handed out.

1. Lions WR Kenny Golladay: The Jets badly need a No. 1 receiver. There will be options in free agency, but Golladay is the best, after Allen Robinson and Chris Godwin were tagged.

2. Buccaneers edge rusher Shaq Barrett: The Bucs tagging Godwin means Barrett is available, though he could re-sign. He had eight and 19.5 sacks the past two years.

3. Steelers WR JuJu Smith-Schuster: Does Jets general manager Joe Douglas want to pay big for a receiver like Golladay or Smith-Schuster? That’s a huge question. Smith-Schuster had just 51.9 and 46 yards per game the past two seasons, after 89.1 in 2018.

4. Patriots OG Joe Thuney: He’s a versatile offensive lineman, and the Jets have questions all over their line (except for left tackle). That should boost Thuney’s value in Douglas’ eyes. But other teams surely will be interested, too.

5. Ravens edge rusher Matthew Judon: He had six and 9.5 sacks the past two seasons. The Jets need to improve their pass rush in a big way.

6. Cardinals edge rusher Haason Reddick: Didn’t do much in his first three seasons (7.5 total sacks), but he had 12.5 sacks last year.

7. Titans WR Corey Davis: He’s coming off a big contract year in which he averaged 70.3 yards per game. It’ll be interesting to see what he gets, compared to Will Fuller.

8. Texans WR Will Fuller: Deep threat who probably will come cheaper than Golladay and Smith-Schuster. Fuller had eight touchdowns and 79.9 yards per game in 2020. Entering 2021, he still has one game left on a six-game suspension (performance-enhancing drugs).

9. Steelers edge rusher Bud Dupree: Eight sacks in 11 games last season, after 11.5 sacks in 16 games the year prior.

10. Ravens edge rusher Yannick Ngakoue: He had eight sacks last year, so he didn’t really build on the previous season, when he also had eight. But he has 45.5 in his career.

11. Chargers TE Hunter Henry: This all depends on what the Jets’ new coaching staff thinks of Chris Herndon. But clearly, Henry would be an immediate upgrade.

12. Bengals edge rusher Carl Lawson: He has 83 quarterback hits through four seasons, but just 20 sacks.

13. Bengals CB William Jackson III: The Jets have questions at both cornerback spots. But this year, maybe the draft would be a better way to attack that need. Jackson finished last season 21st in Pro Football Focus’ cornerback ratings.

14. Rams edge rusher Leonard Floyd: The No. 9 overall draft pick in 2016 hasn’t lived up to that. But he did have 10.5 sacks last year, bringing his career total to 29.

15. Rams CB Troy Hill: He transitioned to slot corner last season and finished 15th in PFF’s ratings. But the Jets could probably re-sign slot corner Brian Poole on a fairly reasonable contract.

Buy Jets gear: Fanatics, NFL Shop, Lids

16. Panthers WR Curtis Samuel: Versatile receiver who could provide great value (presuming other interest doesn’t inflate his price) in the Jets’ new West Coast offense.

17. Saints edge rusher Trey Hendrickson: He wasn’t a full-time starter until last season, when he had 13.5 sacks, bringing his career total to 20. Not an extensive track record.

18. Seahawks CB Shaquill Griffin: He was 38th in PFF’s cornerback ratings last season. Maybe a No. 2 cornerback option for the Jets.

19. Titans TE Jonnu Smith: He isn’t on Henry’s level, but he’d be an upgrade from Herndon. Then again, Herndon is cheaper, since he’s still on his rookie contract.

20. Chargers CB Michael Davis: He was 41st among corners last year, according to PFF. Obviously not an elite option.

NFL insider predicts what Jets will get if they trade Sam Darnold

Updated 7:28 AM; Today 7:27 AM 

The New York Jets might trade quarterback Sam Darnold.Andrew Mills | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Facebook Share

Twitter Share

By Mike Rosenstein | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

It’s no secret the New York Jets are considering trading quarterback Sam Darnold, the No. 3 pick overall in the 2018 NFL Draft.

After all, general manager Joe Douglas is in prime position to select a new franchise QB with the No. 2 pick overall in the 2021 NFL Draft.

If Douglas decides to part with Darnold, what can he get for him in a trade? SI’s Albert Breer thinks he has an idea:

I actually started working on where Sam Darnold’s trade value would be back in the fall, when it looked like the Jets would wind up with Trevor Lawrence, and I actually think the answer I got back then probably holds true now—maybe a little more than the Cardinals got for Josh Rosen in 2019. Arizona, after drafting Kyler Murray first overall that April, wound up flipping Rosen for a (late) two and a five. And yes, Darnold’s been a better player, and remains a better prospect than Rosen. But Rosen was also just one year into his rookie deal at the time, had three cheap years on it left and we didn’t know then what we know now about how his NFL career would play out. As we said Monday eight teams have inquired with the Jets, and my guess would be the return winds up right around there—maybe a second-rounder and something else.

If the Jets dump Darnold, they are expected to select BYU’s Zach Wilson or Ohio State’s Justin Fields with the No. 2 pick. 

Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence, the top-rated QB in the draft, is expected to go No. 1 overall to the Jacksonville Jaguars.

2 hours ago, football guy said:

Why do you think that is? 

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

1426921652_ScreenShot2021-03-11at8_55_25AM.thumb.png.0ce2592104cfaca17e60d63fcd0f22af.png

This is where Brandon Brooks is coming from 

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1368897266606608385?s=20

Interesting. I just don't see the point as they won't save much money. 

7 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Why do you think that is? 

I personally favor Curtis Samuel to the rest of the market. He's the most versatile and least likely to be a disappointment. 

Regarding his agents, the way it was described to me is that Curtis Samuel can lead the league in touches by a wide margin on the Jets. We don't have a star RB, we don't have a star receiver, and the scheme is designed to get players like him the ball. More opportunities to make big plays will give him a greater opportunity at becoming a "household" name/reaping the benefits on his next contract.

I didn't realize that he had 118 total touches in 2020, which was second to only Stefon Diggs (128). That was despite competing with D.J. Moore and Robby Anderson for receptions as the 3rd receiver and only playing 64% of the team's offensive snaps (15 games). So I guess just thinking out loud, lets say the Jets signed him. He's probably a focal point of the passing offense, if not a top 2 option. We don't have a stud RB, so you're not worried about taking a guy off the field and playing Samuel at RB either. And assuming he's healthy, I'd think he'd easily play 80% of the snaps given the lack of weapons we have. Pile all those things together, and you have a player who is a fantasy darling (easiest path to becoming a household name), a recognized playmaker, and quite frankly a star. His market is going to be around a 3-year deal, which would mean he'll be a FA again in his age 27 season. For all we know with the new broadcasting deals and whatnot, receivers could be getting paid $25 million per year by then. So I can see why the agents would want him here. Big market, big opportunity for high usage rate, and a scheme that can maximize his ability in a number of roles. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

I personally favor Curtis Samuel to the rest of the market. He's the most versatile and least likely to be a disappointment. 

Regarding his agents, the way it was described to me is that Curtis Samuel can lead the league in touches by a wide margin on the Jets. We don't have a star RB, we don't have a star receiver, and the scheme is designed to get players like him the ball. More opportunities to make big plays will give him a greater opportunity at becoming a "household" name/reaping the benefits on his next contract.

I didn't realize that he had 118 total touches in 2020, which was second to only Stefon Diggs (128). That was despite competing with D.J. Moore and Robby Anderson for receptions as the 3rd receiver and only playing 64% of the team's offensive snaps (15 games). So I guess just thinking out loud, lets say the Jets signed him. He's probably a focal point of the passing offense, if not a top 2 option. We don't have a stud RB, so you're not worried about taking a guy off the field and playing Samuel at RB either. And assuming he's healthy, I'd think he'd easily play 80% of the snaps given the lack of weapons we have. Pile all those things together, and you have a player who is a fantasy darling (easiest path to becoming a household name), a recognized playmaker, and quite frankly a star. His market is going to be around a 3-year deal, which would mean he'll be a FA again in his age 27 season. For all we know with the new broadcasting deals and whatnot, receivers could be getting paid $25 million per year by then. So I can see why the agents would want him here. Big market, big opportunity for high usage rate, and a scheme that can maximize his ability in a number of roles. 

I meant the part where you said the Jets have the best reputation among players since Rex days lol. But that's good info too!

9 minutes ago, football guy said:

Looks very much like a younger version of Crowder. Probably feel he has way more big play potential in their offense. If we release Crowder as a "cap casuality," maybe means they have an understanding with Samuel?  Wink wink, nod nod.?