2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

15 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

True, if the Jets decide to keep Darnold, we'd still need a capable back up, someone with enough ability to push Sam for the starter position. Tyrod Taylor or Jacoby Brissett would have been ideal, but we didn't get involved.

Guess both of the San Francisco QBs (Mullins, Beathard) are still out there, but i agree on your last point, I think we have showed our cards on where we are going with the QB position. 

I also doubt the plan is to head into camp with darnold and someone like Mullins.  So yeah, i do think we’re taking a qb at 2, and i think they’re mostly waiting until after the rest of the qb pro days to finalize this decision.  The main question i have is, where can they trade darnold, since most teams have starting qbs now.  I think the most logical landing spot for him is a team like the Steelers where they can sit him for a year (unless Ben gets hurt) and basically reprogram him.  I dont’ think teams view darnold as a starter at the beginning of 2021.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I keep thinking back to Mims’ reaction when they asked him to say something about Darnold and he was like “uh yeah he’s the QB I guess.” It’s hard to measure how deflating it might have been to have had Darnold being a mush in the huddle, and then a panicked goon every time the ball was snapped. Just from a morale perspective, swapping the QB could make a difference

This, and actually using the rbs with speed and implementing the screen pass more.  Having darnold and gore in there made this offense beyond slow and predictable.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I keep thinking back to Mims’ reaction when they asked him to say something about Darnold and he was like “uh yeah he’s the QB I guess.” It’s hard to measure how deflating it might have been to have had Darnold being a mush in the huddle, and then a panicked goon every time the ball was snapped. Just from a morale perspective, swapping the QB could make a difference

Small sample size, but just go back to the game 3 years ago vs the Browns, when Baker came in for Taylor. Only change they made on offense. Looked like a different team.

Once again this team hires a defensive head coach and almost all the attention is centered on getting new defenders.

Alot can change between now and the season, but right now, it's a big time dissapointment. The Oline is exactly the same and so is the TE and RB corps. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Barton said:

Once again this team hires a defensive head coach and almost all the attention is centered on getting new defenders.

Alot can change between now and the season, but right now, it's a big time dissapointment. The Oline is exactly the same and so is the TE and RB corps. 

You can argue that the rbs are different b/c they won’t feature gore.  Just putting anyone else out there with speed will change the rbs but overall, i agree.  

That said, they could truly believe that changing the HC, OC and qb will do wonders.

I'm still hoping we sign more defenders in free agency. Get Clowney, a veteran corner and another linebacker and with competent coaching, the D will be good to go. Look for upgrades in 2022. 

Free agency wise, there's not much out there on offence. Use the draft instead. 2- Wilson; 23- Vera-Tucker; 34- Moore; (55/Darnold)- Humphrey 68- Gainwell. We're still down a TE, but we can't fix everything in one year. 

54 minutes ago, JiF said:

I get that, I just think that assuming a rookie QB is going to fix all your offensive woes is insane especially because everyone not named Lawrence probably needs a year on the bench.  To think you dont need to surround him with support?  I mean, we just went through this with Sam.

I think their point was if they’re bringing back Sam it can’t be with full confidence. They would need a vet for competition. 

I do agree with you though that if we are drafting a rookie we need more of a supporting cast or we’re in the same position we were with Darnold. But again this is part of their point.

They’re saying they believe Darnold was more of the problem, and that the supporting was better than we all saw. They struggled as a result of Darnold, played better under Flacco, and the free agents they’ve signed so far are sufficient enough for a rookie to succeed.

18 minutes ago, Barton said:

Are you seriously saying signing a few small potato FAs and investing in a DE is "all the attention." For as long as the Jets have been without an EDGE you know you would've been screaming if they couldn't get one with how many were out there. I am perfectly happy with that investment and the rest are patchwork pieces needed for the switch to a 4-3. I'd rather give Salah a few pieces this way to operate the D as he needs rather than invest premium draft capital.

This will free JD to focus more draft capital into the O. Is it disappointing we didn't get more OL help? Sure, but there really wasn't much outside of Linsley and Thuney. There are some great OL prospects in the draft so hopefully we at least 2 picks there. RBs in this system you don't pay for. Again draft one. I would've liked to see a FA TE, but not at the price BB was paying. Again we'll have to hope for a draft pick to work out...

• Upvote 1

Just now, Beerfish said:

If that is thee case (that douglas and saleh think we only need a QB) then the jets are once again utterly and totally doomed.

I am going to suggest that Douglas and Saleh believe the team needs more than just a QB, but they also think the QB and former HC were making the existing OL and WR look worse than they are

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Our franchise has been criminally mismanaged, especially and specifically on Offense, for literally decades, with only brief exception.

I am, today, unconvinced that JD is any better in this regard than any of the GM's who preceeded him.

2021 is a "prove it" year for me on JD, no matter how much time he (and many fans) will claim drafting a QB at #2 buys him.

Very fair. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I am going to suggest that Douglas and Saleh believe the team needs more than just a QB, but they also think the QB and former HC were making the existing OL and WR look worse than they are

I don;t disagree with this.

I also agree with Barkus and his worry about the GM being too defenscentric in FA and I hope to heck Douglas does not carry that through to the draft.

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If that is thee case (that douglas and saleh think we only need a QB) then the jets are once again utterly and totally doomed.

You and all the other chicken littles are ignoring the fact that the Jets have five picks in rounds 1-3, and possibly more after Darnold is traded. 

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I also agree with Barkus and his worry about the GM being too defenscentric in FA and I hope to heck Douglas does not carry that through to the draft.

Eh. His first two draft picks were an OLT and a WR. He spent money on a young, talented EDGE and a high-end WR2. The key positions in the NFL are 1. QB, 2. EDGE, 3. OLT 4. CB, 5. WR. Good teams aren’t burning money at other positions unless you have a freak TE. He has to get a CB in the draft and figure out the QB. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

You and all the other chicken littles are ignoring the fact that the Jets have five picks in rounds 1-3, and possibly more after Darnold is traded. 

CB, LB, DE, OL, TE

Funny how the 'non chicken littles' each year scold the chicken littles for them being mad at the team passing on good Qbs, drafting hackenburgs and lee, drafting 3 late pick olineman in 5 years.

The stupid chicken littles had the gaul to hate the gase hire as well.

I'd say the chicken littles on this site have been right about 95% of jets related things the last 10 years and the happy happy joy joy crowd have been right about 5%

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Our franchise has been criminally mismanaged, especially and specifically on Offense, for literally decades, with only brief exception.

I am, today, unconvinced that JD is any better in this regard than any of the GM's who preceeded him.

2021 is a "prove it" year for me on JD, no matter how much time he (and many fans) will claim drafting a QB at #2 buys him.

I am only giving him a pass on free agency because I hope that he will be spending a good chunk of draft capital on offense this year. Which may include the #2 overall on a QB and an interior OL with the Adams pick or our 2nd rounder.   

He already used our top 2 picks last year on OL and WR. 

• Upvote 1

JDs methods are not for a 1 year fix. He's doing his way and he obviously doesn't give a sh1t what twitter and messageboards think.  His way will be more sustainable, rather than a mccagnan type shoot your load type of offseason.  Everyone needs to get over it. 

I'm in. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, YankeeJet22 said:

JDs methods are not for a 1 year fix. He's doing his way and he obviously doesn't give a sh1t what twitter and messageboards think.  His way will be more sustainable, rather than a mccagnan type shoot your load type of offseason.  Everyone needs to get over it. 

I'm in. 

Last time I checked the NFL was all about wins and losses  winning the Lombardi trophy. This organization hasn't done squat since 1969 that's 51 years and counting. The NY Jets were 2-14 in 2020 with JD as the GM. Currently the NY Jets are a bottom feeder NFL team. I dont care how many PSL's,season tickets or pretzels being sold at at MetLife its about winning and success. JD is on the clock. 

38 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He drafted 2OL, WR, QB and RB last year. Think the ratio will be pretty much the same this year.

26 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

CB, LB, DE, OL, TE

Funny how the 'non chicken littles' each year scold the chicken littles for them being mad at the team passing on good Qbs, drafting hackenburgs and lee, drafting 3 late pick olineman in 5 years.

The stupid chicken littles had the gaul to hate the gase hire as well.

I'd say the chicken littles on this site have been right about 95% of jets related things the last 10 years and the happy happy joy joy crowd have been right about 5%

As a 46-year fan, I don’t need to be told about the Jets history of dumb, reckless decisions. But forecasting doom before the draft has even happened is also dumb. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

100%.  No doubt.  Still doesnt change the fact that just throwing a rookie at it and assuming that's all it takes on offense just seems insanely narrow minded and extremely dangerous.

And while this is no admission for Sam Darnold, the reality is, this team is 0-10 when he doesnt play since drafted.  When you say that out loud, it makes you pause.  Sure, Luke Faulk but Josh McCown and Joe Flacco while not great are more then serviceable NFL QB's and they went 0-7.

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Eh. His first two draft picks were an OLT and a WR. He spent money on a young, talented EDGE and a high-end WR2. The key positions in the NFL are 1. QB, 2. EDGE, 3. OLT 4. CB, 5. WR. Good teams aren’t burning money at other positions unless you have a freak TE. He has to get a CB in the draft and figure out the QB. 

I think Joe Douglas understands positional value. 

I'm increasingly expecting the QB at pick #2. The fact that the Jets have done nothing at the position in free agency tells me they're done with Darnold. Only way they could bring back Sam to start would be if they had a Dalton/Winston/Trubisky/etc. behind him. They don't. 

After that, one of #23 or 34 has to be an IOL. That guy should be a plug and play day one starter. Then hit the OL one more time between the third and fourth rounds, and that guy should be able to get starting reps his rookie year, if need be. That leaves three other picks in the top 107 (for now) to address CB (probably the other pick at #23 or 34), another Edge, and...  I don't know. TE? I would've thought WR, but after signing two in FA this year, I'm not sure. 

I'll start to feel better about his drafting if Mims looks at least like a solid #2 WR and one of Ashtyn Davis, Zuniga, and/or Clark takes a major step forward in their sophomore seasons.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

100%.  No doubt.  Still doesnt change the fact that just throwing a rookie at it and assuming that's all it takes on offense just seems insanely narrow minded and extremely dangerous.

And while this is no admission for Sam Darnold, the reality is, this team is 0-10 when he doesnt play since drafted.  When you say that out loud, it makes you pause.  Sure, Luke Faulk but Josh McCown and Joe Flacco while not great are more then serviceable NFL QB's and they went 0-7.

For someone who hates Sam, you seem to defend him a great deal. 

Btw, I enjoy your posts and respect your take the majority of time. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think their point was if they’re bringing back Sam it can’t be with full confidence. They would need a vet for competition. 

I do agree with you though that if we are drafting a rookie we need more of a supporting cast or we’re in the same position we were with Darnold. But again this is part of their point.

They’re saying they believe Darnold was more of the problem, and that the supporting was better than we all saw. They struggled as a result of Darnold, played better under Flacco, and the free agents they’ve signed so far are sufficient enough for a rookie to succeed.

Oh, listen, I'm a firm believer that teams really get better with better QB play but like I said above, 0-10 w/out Darnod (0-7 w/ Flacco and McCown).  This team, sucks, badly.  And Corey Davis is a good player and an upgrade but does he really change the offense?  Meh, maybe.  We'll see, I think the bigger boost for the team is Mims shows out but I dont think adding Davis suddenly makes this a comfortable landing spot for a rookie.  This team needs a sh*t ton of help.  They can still basically upgrade every single position on offense sans LT.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

"But...but... Joe Flacco had that game against New England...."

I'm not gonna go full Super Saiyan Darnold Flat Earther in this thread, but yea, that is certainly an interesting stat. 

• Upvote 3