Anyone else NOT want Watson?

JohnnyLV

The problem with this discussion as a whole is most people talking about it have no clue what the price tag is and the value of certain draft picks.  Do I want the Jets to aggressively pursue a trade? Yes. Do I want to give up the equivalent of 7 first rounders like some are advocating for?  Hell No!

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

All these fans clamoring for Watson, who keep saying do whatever it takes, are also going to be the same idiots in 10 years yelling at the top of their lungs about how the Jets never surrounded Watson with talent.

If if in 10 years a team can't adequately build around the 2nd best QB under 30 (currently), that's an ownership/front office problem.  Not a Watson problem, or due to the assets given up to acquire Watson.  

The Chiefs traded up a ton of spots (giving up two 1sts and a 3rd) to get Pat Mahomes.  The Bills traded up to get Josh Allen.  Think those teams give two sh*ts about the picks given up in hindsight?

And in those cases, those teams were giving up assets for largely unknown products.  We'd be giving up assets for a known, elite product who hasn't even entered his prime yet.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

All these fans clamoring for Watson, who keep saying do whatever it takes, are also going to be the same idiots in 10 years yelling at the top of their lungs about how the Jets never surrounded Watson with talent.

That will be in 3 years when he forces his way out because he's sick of losing. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, undertow said:

He won't lose.  He has a national title under his belt, plus 2 division titles and a playoff win in the pros.  He's a proven winner and a proven commodity.  And he's only going to get better.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Do I WANT a Ferrari? Sure. Do I want to pay $300,000 for it? No. No, no, no. Not when I can have this fuel-efficient Toyota Corolla over here for a lean $18k. I wasn’t botn yesterday, friends.

The thing is...both those cars can get you where you need to go; but can just any old QB get you where you need to go

3 minutes ago, Mark78 said:

The thing is...both those cars can get you where you need to go; but can just any old QB get you where you need to go

Depends on what destination we're talking about here.  A Corolla is far more dependable than a Ferrari.  But a Ferrari will get you laid.

So in this analogy, an example would be when Andy Reid dumped his Corolla (Alex Smith) and upgraded to a Ferrari (Pat Mahomes).

Perhaps not the best analogy, because Mahomes appears like he'll be dependable for the long run, too.  The best of both worlds.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Depends on what destination we're talking about here.  A Corolla is far more dependable than a Ferrari.  But a Ferrari will get you laid.

So in this analogy, an example would be when Andy Reid dumped his Corolla (Alex Smith) and upgraded to a Ferrari (Pat Mahomes).

Perhaps not the best analogy, because Mahomes appears like he'll be dependable for the long run, too.  The best of both worlds.

Would Mahomes be the player he is had he gone to a losing team and not sat a year?? The Chiefs were a playoff team for 3 years before he started a game..

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Passing on Watson (if offered) for an unproven rookie or, God forbid, keeping Darnold would be a classic Jet blunder.  Guys with Watson's talent don't come around every day.   I say give Houston what they want and let's get Watson ready to roll.

It's been over 5 decades since we've had a QB of that caliber - so you're right, not every day. :) 

• Sympathy 1

59 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Passing on Watson (if offered) for an unproven rookie or, God forbid, keeping Darnold would be a classic Jet blunder.  Guys with Watson's talent don't come around every day.   I say give Houston what they want and let's get Watson ready to roll.

So you would do the McClain deal of 2 firsts 2 seconds and 2 defensive starters? Probably one of them being Q?

I'd love to hear what the "Give me Watson or Give me Death" crowd feels is the line the sand. 

If you can’t articulate when the towel goes in -- specifically, not some vague notion of when, but specifically  - then i can't take you anymore seriously than my 6 year old who cruises the neighborhood with his hammer out. It seems you're relying on the market naturally limiting itself on the cost -- which is an erroneous position to take. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

28 minutes ago, undertow said:

Watson got mad that the Texans FO couldn’t give him a better O-line and better WRs than Fuller and Cooks

Wait til he’s having Edoga protecting his blindside and his first read is Braxton Berrios

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

The question is not whether you want Watson or not. Anyone in their right mind would want Watson. The question is would you want Watson at the cost it will likely take to make him a Jet, which certainly seems like it will be multiple draft picks (no less than 2 or 3 first) and a starting D player or 2. The Texans would likely insist on Q being included in the deal.

So, do you make THAT deal? It is not as if JD can just say Sayonara Sammy and insert Watson in the lineup.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

58 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How do you know they're not?

Also, financially, some teams are kind of out of the running from the jump.  Nearly a 3rd of teams in the NFL are in some form of cap hell, to the point where even Watson's relatively low 2021 cap number (about $11M) would be difficult to navigate around for a few of them. 

Those teams that are in cap trouble and need a QB will pretty much have to go through the draft.  They'd gladly acquire Watson if they could.

So the JETS financially, and by way of draft picks have what it will take to get Watson, but the other side is that Houston knows that and will try to get everything they can for Watson, so while people say we are in the drivers seat, which I kinda agree with, we also don't have many teams as you say that can bid for him, which leads me to believe that we'll have to come up with a kings ransom to get him, which in my opinion would be the stupidest thing the JETS could do looking at our currently constructed team.

Our 2nd pick is worth 2-3 more 1st's and then some depending on trade down, along with cap figures puts us in a VERY nice position to build this team within a 2 year window. It will not, if we trade for Watson unless we only give up what we got for Adams, which I find hard to believe Houston would take, even with Darnold thrown in.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

My preference is a trade with SF to get the BAP at 12...might even be a QB (ala the Mims trade back, where we still get our guy). 

Collectively, this team gets better faster, for longer, if we collect high draft picks and hit on them. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ay, there's the rub.

I get your reply, but most of us on here trust JD... So why not at least give the guy the chance to be better than Mac and Cheese... opps Idzik...

• Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I'd love to hear what the "Give me Watson or Give me Death" crowd feels is the line the sand. 

If you can articulate when the towel goes in -- specifically, not some vague notion of when, but specifically  - then i can't take you anymore seriously than my 6 year old who cruises the neighborhood with his hammer out for all to see. It seems you're relying on the market naturally limiting itself on the cost -- which is an erroneous position to take. 

4 1sts

• Haha 2