Anyone else NOT want Watson?

JohnnyLV

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Do I WANT a Ferrari? Sure. Do I want to pay $300,000 for it? No. No, no, no. Not when I can have this fuel-efficient Toyota Corolla over here for a lean $18k. I wasn’t botn yesterday, friends.

You wouldn't say that if you were @SAR I lmao...  No offense SAR

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Absolutely no one should say they don't want Watson.  That's ridiculous.  Everyone should want him that has watched a second of him play football.

The actual question is at what point does the cost to acquire him become too prohibitive where in essence we trade for him but are in the same situation the Texans were in last year (and lilkely the next few years) with him.

I think trading 3 1st round picks over the next 3 years is a price the Jets can pay and still build a team that can contend each year the next 5 years.  The McClain nonsense price is far too much, but I don't think anyone considers that realistic.

I don’t know if a player or two on top of the 1sts is a deal breaker.

I think like this “how many games will deshawn Watson go out and win me” and “how many games would Bryce hall go out and win me”

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

I realize he is an excellent QB,.

But when I look at this team I just do not see it being a great fit at this time.

Watson will cost a ton of draft capital, has a large cap number after the first year, and really diminishes the ability to build a team around him.

Not only do you have less draft picks but in year 2 and after you also have roughly $30M less money for other players. That is like 4-6 really good midrange starters.

We have a bare roster and need every bit of ammunition to build it up.

When I look at Saleh, who was there for RW under a rookie contract it just seems the way to go to me.

He gets a QB to develop and mold into his system, we have more high level draft picks and much more cap for other players as well.

I just think this is the best way to go and because of all the above I do not want them to trade for Watson.

Watson is not without significant risk also. He did not win on a bad team this year. He has shown that he can be a malcontent. He has pretty serious injury and long term durability concerns as well.

It's pretty amazing that a fanbase that has never had a QB this good, at this age, be kind of "Meh" at the prospect of adding him for draft picks that this fanbase ALWAYS bash early in their career until they figure it out and make a pro bowl and then demand we trade those players because they can't help us win without a franchise QB like Watson. 

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Passing on Watson (if offered) for an unproven rookie or, God forbid, keeping Darnold would be a classic Jet blunder.  Guys with Watson's talent don't come around every day.   I say give Houston what they want and let's get Watson ready to roll.

Both 2021 1st rounders, both 2022 1st rounders and Quinnen Williams.

Lets go!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I don’t know if a player or two on top of the 1sts is a deal breaker.

I think like this “how many games will deshawn Watson go out and win me” and “how many games would Bryce hall go out and win me”

It depends on the player.  If the players are Quinnen Williams and Franklin-meyers, then that's a different discussion than Bryce Hall and Ashtyn Davis.

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It's pretty amazing that a fanbase that has never had a QB this good, at this age, be kind of "Meh" at the prospect of adding him for draft picks that this fanbase ALWAYS bash early in their career until they figure it out and make a pro bowl and then demand we trade those players because they can't help us win without a franchise QB like Watson. 

How many first round picks you want to send to Houston?  7?

• Upvote 1

I loved him coming out of college. Most ppl said we shouldn't draft him because he was too small and gimmicky, without a real arm. Most people were wrong.

Now everyone wants him and I think his price is too high. Not in our best interest for the future to give up what it would take to get him.

Hell, Houston literally just proved that Watson playing at an elite level will only notch you 4 wins if the rest of the team isn't any good. And 68 million of free agency isn't changing that, at least to the extent some believe.

The masses are wrong on this one. Giving up the farm for Watson will not set this franchise up for success anytime soon.

Edited by Pointdexter
  • Upvote 2

Obviously there is a limit where the cost of the trade would be too much but I'm not sure four first round picks is necessarily too much. A twenty-five year old franchise QB probably has ten years of great play to go (maybe fifteen or twenty?). Over the course of ten or more years, can a FQB make more than three second or third round receivers play like first round talent? Can you win more with a top ten offense than a top five defense? Surely the best option is confidently picking Fields/Wilson and getting immediate FQB talent and keeping the other picks but the probability that Watson continues to be successful is significantly greater than the probability Fields or Wilson becomes great talent right away. 

1 hour ago, derp said:

And it just costs cap space. 

it costs money. Us currency cold hard cash. The Jets aren't interested in paying Watson his 30 mil. They certainly aren't interested in Watson/Robinson/Thuney or whatever scenario we've cooked up for ourselves  

All the Jets need to be competitive is to spend all the money! yeah, no kidding. It might happen if Gary V owned the team. 

Spending all the cap space to make the disgruntled expensive QB happy that doesn't sound like the Woody Johnson Jets at all. 

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, bitonti said:

it costs money. Us currency cold hard cash. The Jets aren't interested in paying Watson his 30 mil. They certainly aren't interested in Watson/Robinson/Thuney or whatever scenario we've cooked up for ourselves  

All the Jets need to be competitive is to spend all the money! yeah, no kidding. It might happen if Gary V owned the team. 

Spending all the cap space to make the disgruntled expensive QB happy that doesn't sound like the Woody Johnson Jets at all. 

Didn't they just offer Kirk Cousins $30M per?  I get that they are cheap and that you harp on it, but this seems a bit far to me.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Both 2021 1st rounders, both 2022 1st rounders and Quinnen Williams.

Lets go!

I know folks think we're insane.  But I could probably live with this.  If Watson lives up to the expectations, we'll be lauding and toasting that deal as what finally jump started our franchise toward the SB win.

But when I look at this team I just do not see it being a great fit at this time.

Watson will cost a ton of draft capital, has a large cap number after the first year, and really diminishes the ability to build a team around him.

Not only do you have less draft picks but in year 2 and after you also have roughly $30M less money for other players. That is like 4-6 really good midrange starters.

When I look at Saleh, who was there for RW under a rookie contract it just seems the way to go to me.

He gets a QB to develop and mold into his system, we have more high level draft picks and much more cap for other players as well.

I just think this is the best way to go and because of all the above I do not want them to trade for Watson.

Watson is not without significant risk also. He did not win on a bad team this year. He has shown that he can be a malcontent. He has pretty serious injury and long term durability concerns as well.

I'm with you. We know what happens when you put Watson on a mediocre team surrounded by weak talent which is exactly what we'd be if we trade away all the picks and players needed to get him here. 4-12 at best. 

One other thing about that, great QBs have a way of making everyone around them better even when the talent is subpar. I'm highly suspect of the fact that Watson can have the stats and highlight's he has and the team stinks as bad as it does, maybe a leadership issue.

The fact that he's a malcontent might be revealing of the leadership issue mentioned above, or at least a symptom of it. Maybe he's more a "me" guy and not a team player leader kind of guy. 

Bottom line, he's not a slam dunk to turn our toxic culture around if his last team was 4-12 with him, and he wants out so bad. Sounds to me like we'd potentially trade the farm away and he'd be unhappy stinking in a new town and would want out quickly. 

no thanks.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Didn't they just offer Kirk Cousins $30M per?  I get that they are cheap and that you harp on it, but this seems a bit far to me.

the rumors that come out after a player doesn't sign are notorious for making the team that missed out look super generous

so no, there's no proof the Jets offered Cousins 30 mil. There were many rumors to that point, especially after he signed with Minnesota.  The Jets didn't close that deal. Coffee is for closers. 

The Jets have never paid anyone more than CJ Mosely.  which  cocktail napkin math will put like 10-13 mil below what they supposedly would have paid Kirk Cousins. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He won't lose.  He has a national title under his belt, plus 2 division titles and a playoff win in the pros.  He's a proven winner and a proven commodity.  And he's only going to get better.

4-12

• Haha 1

Saleh was also in SF when they went to the SB with Garrappolo who they traded for and paid a pretty nice dime for.  

If you're telling me were going to have a Seattle quality draft where they literally picked up 5 all pro's in one draft and an all pro QB in the third I'm all in.  

The Number 2 pick is worth a fortune and if you use it on a QB chances are he won't be highly productive until year 2 or 3 at the earliest.  

RW under his rookie contract was an anomaly.  

27 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

You wouldn't say that if you were @SAR I lmao...  No offense SAR

No offense taken.

We finally have a competent GM, HC, and OC, right?  So one of the big benefits is that we can just sit back and know the decision is being made by very smart people and be comfortable with the process and the outcome.

I want Watson if Douglas, Saleh, and LaFleur do.

SAR I

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

It is entirely possible you’re right about the spending, but the Jets have spent - albeit with some terrible decisions - in the past and the alternative to having these kinds of discussions is giving up fandom and leaving the site and I’m not quite there yet.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why do that when this man is a free agent?

1181023900.jpg.jpg

10-6 nothing to sneeze at.

2-14- aaaaachooo

If we can't get Watson, JD will have to go to plan B which is more than likely draft Fields or Wilson.  Wouldn't be the worst idea to bring Fitz back for a year and let either of those rookies sit a year.

1 minute ago, derp said:

It is entirely possible you’re right about the spending, but the Jets have spent - albeit with some terrible decisions - in the past and the alternative to having these kinds of discussions is giving up fandom and leaving the site and I’m not quite there yet.

it's not giving up fandom it's adjusting expectations 

put it another way the reason they have all this cap space to take on Watson is because of how they run the team 

you don't get to 90 million dollars of open cap by accident 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Do I WANT a Ferrari? Sure. Do I want to pay $300,000 for it? No. No, no, no. Not when I can have this fuel-efficient Toyota Corolla over here for a lean $18k. I wasn’t botn yesterday, friends.

Take the engine and transmission out of the toyota.  Take off the wheels and put what's left on blocks.  You have to be at work in 20 minutes and you're rich friend who's prostate is the size of a cantaloupe stopped by to use your bathroom and left his Ferrari running in your driveway...

16 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the rumors that come out after a player doesn't sign are notorious for making the team that missed out look super generous

so no, there's no proof the Jets offered Cousins 30 mil. There were many rumors to that point, especially after he signed with Minnesota.  The Jets didn't close that deal. Coffee is for closers. 

The Jets have never paid anyone more than CJ Mosely.  which  cocktail napkin math will put like 10-13 mil below what they supposedly would have paid Kirk Cousins. 

Didn't Kirk Cousins post some weird podcast sh*t where he was on the phone with the Jets quoting numbers? 

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

Would Mahomes be the player he is had he gone to a losing team and not sat a year?? The Chiefs were a playoff team for 3 years before he started a game..

We could have drafted him and I sure would have loved every minute finding the answer.