Dak Prescott could be the NY Jets’ 2021 starting QB

Bronx

By Justin Fried (Thank you thread patrol @joewilly12

The Dallas Cowboys find themselves in quite a cap bind after numerous questionable decisions in recent years. And now they face a dilemma with star quarterback Dak Prescott.

Prescott was on his way to perhaps the best season of his NFL career in 2020 before a devastating ankle injury put an end to his campaign. Needing a new contract in the offseason, the Cowboys must figure out a plan.

They’re not just going to let him walk. Prescott is far too valuable to simply cut ties with and let sign with a new team in free agency.

For Dallas, there are two hopeful scenarios here. Either they place the franchise tag on him again and take the $37 million cap hit, giving Prescott all the leverage next offseason, or they find a way to come to terms on a long-term deal this offseason.O

Or, if worst comes to worst, they tag and trade him to the highest bidder. While it doesn’t seem likely that it comes to that, the Jets would be at the top of the list of potential suitors.

Prescott is an undisputed top-10 quarterback in the NFL and would instantly be the best quarterback the Jets have had in decades — possibly since Joe Namath.

And the good news is that he likely wouldn’t cost as much as Deshaun Watson, although the Cowboys could drive a hard bargain.

In all likelihood, Prescott stays in Dallas for one more year at the very least. But if not, expect the Jets to be all over the former Offensive Rookie of the Year.

• Thumb Down 7
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Bronx said:

The Dallas Cowboys find themselves in quite a cap bind after numerous questionable decisions in recent years. And now they face a dilemma with star quarterback Dak Prescott.

Prescott was on his way to perhaps the best season of his NFL career in 2020 before a devastating ankle injury put an end to his campaign. Needing a new contract in the offseason, the Cowboys must figure out a plan.

They’re not just going to let him walk. Prescott is far too valuable to simply cut ties with and let sign with a new team in free agency.

For Dallas, there are two hopeful scenarios here. Either they place the franchise tag on him again and take the $37 million cap hit, giving Prescott all the leverage next offseason, or they find a way to come to terms on a long-term deal this offseason.O

Or, if worst comes to worst, they tag and trade him to the highest bidder. While it doesn’t seem likely that it comes to that, the Jets would be at the top of the list of potential suitors.

Prescott is an undisputed top-10 quarterback in the NFL and would instantly be the best quarterback the Jets have had in decades — possibly since Joe Namath.

And the good news is that he likely wouldn’t cost as much as Deshaun Watson, although the Cowboys could drive a hard bargain.

In all likelihood, Prescott stays in Dallas for one more year at the very least. But if not, expect the Jets to be all over the former Offensive Rookie of the Year.

giphy.gif

17 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Even if Healthy is he that good? Seemed like one really good season. 

Take a look at his career stats...which year are you talking about?  

Guy is a stud and has 3 arguably 4 years we’d drool over. Still doesn’t make sense over Watson though. Nothing does.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

56 minutes ago, Bronx said:

????

1 hour ago, Mo Lew said:

Take a look at his career stats...which year are you talking about?  

Guy is a stud and has 3 arguably 4 years we’d drool over. Still doesn’t make sense over Watson though. Nothing does.

2019 he was a top 10 player. 

Before that: 22-24 TD's/8-10 Int is not a top 10 player. It is definitely not worth a First rounder plus 35-40m a year. 

Best bet is Dallas to let him play on that Franchise tag. Make sure he's healthy. See who he really is. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

2019 he was a top 10 player. 

Before that: 22-24 TD's/8-10 Int is not a top 10 player. It is definitely not worth a First rounder plus 35-40m a year. 

Best bet is Dallas to let him play on that Franchise tag. Make sure he's healthy. See who he really is. 

You just jumped from is he good to top 10 player. 

1 hour ago, The Troll said:

Man, some of you are silly af.

What is it about 50 years of garbage QBs that would make you say “pass” on Dak [expletive] Prescott?

I live in Dallas and I watch a lot of games and see lots of garbage time stats. I really like Dak, but he is not worth trading for and definitely not worth top 5 money. He had a catastrophic injury and nobody knows what he will be.

• Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

You'd be trading for Dak in this situation cause the Cowboys won't let him walk for nothing.

Well they will need to Tag him 1st. How will that $37 mil effect their cap space? I know they’ll have time to work out a deal, but at some point they will have make cuts because they are only $18 m under the cap. If no one trades for him Jerry is screwed. 

Wouldn't it just be better to draft one of these QB's that we always seem to have a chance to draft.  I mean, Dax Prescott, Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes, Derek Carr, Jimmy Garapolo.  How many times does a team have to NOT pick a QB that is a starter elsewhere?  Maybe we keep picking QB's until we get one right?  Is that such a crazy draft strategy?

6 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Wouldn't it just be better to draft one of these QB's that we always seem to have a chance to draft.  I mean, Dax Prescott, Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes, Derek Carr, Jimmy Garapolo.  How many times does a team have to NOT pick a QB that is a starter elsewhere?  Maybe we keep picking QB's until we get one right?  Is that such a crazy draft strategy?

I'm too lazy to make one but the list of QBs I'm glad we didn't draft is WAY longer than the one of those I wish we did.  And the further down the draft you gp the longer the list gets.

I'm not wasting the 2 on a crapshoot.  They either LOVE a guy or we go a different direction (no matter what hindsight later shows us) . . .

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, OCCH23 said:

I'm too lazy to make one but the list of QBs I'm glad we didn't draft is WAY longer than the one of those I wish we did.  And the further down the draft you gp the longer the list gets.

I'm not wasting the 2 on a crapshoot.  They either LOVE a guy or we go a different direction (no matter what hindsight later shows us) . . .

But that's the thing....they don't HAVE to waste the number 2 pick.  They can trade out, get extra draft capital, and STILL take a guy like Lance, Jones, or Trask later in the first.  LOTS of options when you have the number 2 pick.

Then again, if you like Wilson or Fields, you have to take them at 2.  

And sure, there are TONS of QB's that didn't work out in the NFL.  There is only 32 starting positions!  But that is the last nine years alone for the Jets.  Everyone one of them to the playoffs, two of them with Super Bowl rings and multiple Super Bowl appearances.  All could have been had if we would have picked them rather than the likes of Calvin Pryor, Jace Amaro, Jamal Adams, etc...

36 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

But that's the thing....they don't HAVE to waste the number 2 pick.  They can trade out, get extra draft capital, and STILL take a guy like Lance, Jones, or Trask later in the first.  LOTS of options when you have the number 2 pick.

Then again, if you like Wilson or Fields, you have to take them at 2.  

And sure, there are TONS of QB's that didn't work out in the NFL.  There is only 32 starting positions!  But that is the last nine years alone for the Jets.  Everyone one of them to the playoffs, two of them with Super Bowl rings and multiple Super Bowl appearances.  All could have been had if we would have picked them rather than the likes of Calvin Pryor, Jace Amaro, Jamal Adams, etc...

True, buy let's not forget about hackenburg, Smith, petty, Morgan (tbd) over that same time span.

You use the higher pick to supposedly get the "more sure thing", which is still FAR from it!  I'm in the trade down camp, but will trust their scouting with whoever we ultimately get . . .

53 minutes ago, OCCH23 said:

True, buy let's not forget about hackenburg, Smith, petty, Morgan (tbd) over that same time span.

You use the higher pick to supposedly get the "more sure thing", which is still FAR from it!  I'm in the trade down camp, but will trust their scouting with whoever we ultimately get . . .

I get it:  That's the thing about QB's...You have to take a shot at the best ones each year.  It is a REAL crap-shoot hoping guys from the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, UDFA are going to lead you to the promised land. 

If they like Wilson or Fields, I have no issue with drafting one.  But for GOD sakes, can we let them sit for a year and let them watch the pro game while we still build a team that can actually help a rookie rather than expecting the rookie to come in and save the franchise?

• Upvote 2