Will Darnold ever be good?

Will Darnold Ever Be Good?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Will Darnold Ever Be a Good NFL QB

If by 'good' you mean journeyman QB who can game manage a few wins with a ton of pieces around him like Garoppolo/Cousins/A. Smith then maybe if he's lucky and quits turning the ball over (<50%).

If you mean a QB who makes his teammates better, then the answer to that is a resounding no.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Define 'good'.

Top 5 QB? No.

Top 12-14 QB? Maybe - in the absolutely perfect set of circumstances. I've seen a lot of Darnold play and it ain't all on the surrounding cast and coaching staff. He's got a lot of work to do.

If a guy needs perfect circumstances to be good, then he's not good.  

• Upvote 1

This is a tricky yes or no. 

No, I do not believe Sam will ever be a perennially good (or better) starting NFL QB. However, I could see him having a flash in the pan breakout season after getting a shot as a veteran backup (e.g. 1998 Vinny or 2015 Fitz). 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, peebag said:

The question should be, "Will the New York Jets ever be a successful football franchise?"

that's next week's show which is being pre recorded this week 

if you wanted to talk about Sam Darnold, you should have called last week, when the show about the elderly was airing 

• Upvote 1

Good QBs overcome their situations at least somewhat.... just look at what Murray, Watsom, Burrow, and Herbert came into.

I think he can be decent if given good support, but if it ever breaks down I have no confidence in his play.

People need to realize that hes probabaly not some babe in the woods diamond in the rough QB who is secretly super-duper good. He's most likely David Carr. 

• Upvote 1

Just recently I was watching film on him to get a gauge of what he could do. I saw a lot of special intermediate throws, but I didnt see anything deep downfield at all. He's always been a bad deep ball thrower. Was really concerning to see because we've all seen his "wow" throws, but most of them are not pushing the ball downfield. They just look cool.

I think the last time he's hit a guy in stride deep was Robby against the Cowboys.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Good QBs overcome their situations at least somewhat.... just look at what Murray, Watson, Burrow, and Herbert came into.

All of those players stepped into better situations than Sam has a had here for three years running.

The only two non-quarterback players on this offense that are safe bets to be on this team through next offseason are Becton and Mims... two players that were rookies last year.

I just don't see how anyone would've succeeded here. And I haven't even mentioned coaching yet.

I get it if you want to move on. But I mean, the Jets 'development' of Darnold has been historic in its incompetence. 

We've got no idea what this kid can do with even a mediocre team/coaching staff around him. And he's not even 24 yet.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, JiF said:

Has there ever, in the history of the league, been an example of a QB with 3 years of starting experiencing turning it around from bottom 3 in the league to suddenly a good QB?

I cant think of a single example. Sam Darnold aint breaking that trend.  Dudes a bust.

maybe Jim Plunkett and Rich Gannon can't think of much else

Edit Terry Bradshaw was pretty terrible early on as well

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

maybe Jim Plunkett and Rich Gannon can't think of much else

Edit Terry Bradshaw was pretty terrible early on as well

Cool, so 2 guy back in the 70's and 1 guy from the 90's.  lol

I'll take the odds.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, RedBeardedSavage said:

The Aikman comparison doesn't work that well because of the third year. The third year is the key year. You typically have to be at least decent by your third year. Aikman wasn't anything special in year 3, but he was decent. Meanwhile, Darnold was awful and clearly worse than the year before. 

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

Cool, so 2 guy back in the 70's and 1 guy from the 90's.  lol

I'll take the odds.

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The Aikman comparison doesn't work that well because of the third year. The third year is the key year. You typically have to be at least decent by your third year. Aikman wasn't anything special in year 3, but he was decent. Meanwhile, Darnold was awful and clearly worse than the year before. 

I can't remember a quarterback with an inferior situation around them then Darnold last year.

Hell, he had a weak crew of talent/coaches around him the year before... and then we subtracted Robby Anderson and four of our top five receivers were hurt to start the season. 

I mean, pardon my francais, but WTF did you think was gonna happen?

This thread comes down to - do you think this situation has been historically bad?

Seems like, from the Dianna Russini quote, most of the NFL sees it that way. 

• Upvote 1

I predict he will be better than the guy we draft this year

I would like watson if not keep sam and get a stud wr a stud rb and improve the line(sam with the right tools can be good but not great) 

we will end up drafting the next Haskins with our second pick

• Upvote 1