I haven’t seen it mentioned: Possible Watson Trade - MERGED

I’ve seen quite a few posters complaining that JD didn’t pay top dollar for Thuney or the Green Bay center.  Also we didn’t sign Judson or Joni Smith or Golladay.

Could it be that Douglas thinks there’s a real chance we are able to trade for Watson and is keeping his cap low so he can pay Watson and all our draft picks and still be under the cap?

First rd picks are great but they do create a cap hit, especially at the top of the draft.

• Upvote 1

I’ve seen quite a few posters complaining that JD didn’t pay top dollar for Thuney or the Green Bay center.  Also we didn’t sign Judson or Joni Smith or Golladay.
Could it be that Douglas thinks there’s a real chance we are able to trade for Watson and is keeping his cap low so he can pay Watson and all our draft picks and still be under the cap?
First rd picks are great but they do create a cap hit, especially at the top of the draft.
Whelp .. with the breaking scandal JD should be making it rain today

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

56 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Watson is only going to count 7 million against the cap of any team that trades for him this year... So no

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

E0FDB20A-EF3E-4B68-95E6-8E18FE5FBD02.png.b21a9e8d645227df73afbea3437ccbef.png

What if, after all the years of having GM's draft poorly and then throw big money at mediocre talent to get them during F/A and winning the free agency headlines every year, we have a GM who believes you should draft good players and just pay them to keep them here.  THEN, players will want to come here and play will, and you don't have to pay a premium price for a non-premium player who is just coming here because of the pay check?  

Now, that takes two things that Jets fans seem to generally lack in: Time and patience.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

About a half dozen teams at least, including CHI, PHI, LAR and NO will be cutting good players today to get under the cap before 4pm.  It is possible that this is part of Douglas' strategy to wait and strike when these moves inevitably happen. 

In the case of NO, they might try to engineer a trade rather than outright cut someone (e.g. Lattimore).  That's a move that would absolutely not surprise me.  Lattimore is probably worth a late third to the Saints if they cut him (as a comp pick) so I would guess the bidding start with at least a mid-third rounder and could go a bit higher.  His 'off' 2020' season probably pins his value there, so I would guess one of our third round picks might do it if he is, in fact, on the table.

I'd go higher for Ramczyk but I would be more surprised if he ended up being the guy they moved unless the offer was really substantial.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Seems they're not signing a top WR to a big contract. Davis was had on the cheap. JD's 'forte' is the OL and he bypassed Thuney and Linsey or was just ignored by them.  Same can be concluded with the available WR's left in FA.  Davis, Mims, Crowder, Smith, Berrios. That's 5 WR's right there. How many do we normally carry? 6-7? We could get one or two in the draft or sign another vet on the cheap.  This looks like it's going to be a LONG LONG LONG rebuild.

4 minutes ago, heymangold said:

I strongly believe that Sam Darnold will be the qb next year.  It’s definitely not what I want - I just think that’s what is happening.

I think every sign is pointing to Wilson.

If you're keeping Sam you would have had to sign a vet who could challenge him. 

4 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Watson isn't coming. They're drafting someone. 

Counseling is available. If you need @T0mShane's personal number, let us know.

I've come to believe this is the case.

And not "someone", but specifically Wilson from BYU.

I am an extreme sceptic of Wilson tbqh, but I'd be willing to bet he is their choice when that #2 pick rolls around.

I sure do hope the Wilson hype fans turn out to be more right than the Darnold hype fans were.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, nycdan said:

About a half dozen teams at least, including CHI, PHI, LAR and NO will be cutting good players today to get under the cap before 4pm.  It is possible that this is part of Douglas' strategy to wait and strike when these moves inevitably happen. 

In the case of NO, they might try to engineer a trade rather than outright cut someone (e.g. Lattimore).  That's a move that would absolutely not surprise me.  Lattimore is probably worth a late third to the Saints if they cut him (as a comp pick) so I would guess the bidding start with at least a mid-third rounder and could go a bit higher.  His 'off' 2020' season probably pins his value there, so I would guess one of our third round picks might do it if he is, in fact, on the table.

I'd go higher for Ramczyk but I would be more surprised if he ended up being the guy they moved unless the offer was really substantial.

Hoing that is what Douglas is waiting for.  The cuts.  Ramczyk is a T.  If I'm the Jets I'm hoping they cut Peat.  Jets must get a G in FA.  Wouldn't hate Ramczyk, but we need a G.

Have a feeling the Jets ar going to sign as many guys today as they did the opening day of tampering.  

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The Saints are in position to extend Ramczyk, Lattimore, Williams and get under the cap. Brees retiring really helped them out and they’ll get under if they throw those guys some guaranteed money. The Bears are more interesting right now. A move for Khalil Mack wouldn’t distress me.

Just now, kdels62 said:

The Saints are in position to extend Ramczyk, Lattimore, Williams and get under the cap. Brees retiring really helped them out and they’ll get under if they throw those guys some guaranteed money. The Bears are more interesting right now. A move for Khalil Mack wouldn’t distress me.

The key is they have to get those guys to sign extensions.  Then, yes, they can keep them.  But they haven't done that yet which begs the question of why.  Especially Ramczyk who they reportedly are very anxious to keep.  

24 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Seems they're not signing a top WR to a big contract. Davis was had on the cheap. JD's 'forte' is the OL and he bypassed Thuney and Linsey or was just ignored by them.  Same can be concluded with the available WR's left in FA.  Davis, Mims, Crowder, Smith, Berrios. That's 5 WR's right there. How many do we normally carry? 6-7? We could get one or two in the draft or sign another vet on the cheap.  This looks like it's going to be a LONG LONG LONG rebuild.

Thuney got a huge contract from the team that was just in the Super Bowl.   No way he goes to the Jets after getting that offer.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

The key is they have to get those guys to sign extensions.  Then, yes, they can keep them.  But they haven't done that yet which begs the question of why.  Especially Ramczyk who they reportedly are very anxious to keep.  

The lead up to 4pm is gonna be very fun. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, heymangold said:

I strongly believe that Sam Darnold will be the qb next year.  It’s definitely not what I want - I just think that’s what is happening.

I tend to agree but only because I suspect potential trade partners won't set the value high enough for JD to pull the trigger...

This is my latest take. I think JD is slow playing the cap and free agent signings because he is reserving a significant amt of $$ in case they acquire Russell or Watson. At the same time, i believe the offers for Darnold have been underwhelming at best, and he is starting to get offers/feelers for number 2 pick. In addition, he has not even had opportunity to see Fields or Wilsons pro days and meet with them. Imo, alot of irons in the fire has significantly slowed acquisitions. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, riggy001 said:

This is my latest take. I think JD is slow playing the cap and free agent signings because he is reserving a significant amt of $$ in case they acquire Russell or Watson. At the same time, i believe the offers for Darnold have been underwhelming at best, and he is starting to get offers/feelers for number 2 pick. In addition, he has not even had opportunity to see Fields or Wilsons pro days and meet with them. Imo, alot of irons in the fire has significantly slowed acquisitions. 

He’s just a cheapo #LONGandWINDINGROAD

At this rate, this team won’t be competing for a playoff spot for a number of years. 

With so many holes in the roster, I sincerely doubt that JD would consider making a serious run at either RW or DW (Especially since the sexual assault allegations against Watson).  I agree that the market for Darnold is a lot weaker than anyone anticipated. Keep in mind that most of our vast needs on the OL, will most likely have to be addressed earlier than we thought in the draft. I think that being cautious in this case, is absolutely needed to improve the roster as we move along. Additional areas of need will become evident just a few games into the season and that is when he might strike. Just an opinion here..

14 minutes ago, riggy001 said:

Watson has little impact on salary this year... something like 7 Million... Not sure why everyone thinks there is a big cap hit... His later years have bigger cap hits but when the salary cap should balloon with the new TV deal... So this is really a non-issue.

JD has told us who he was all along. He’s not going to splurge in FA unless his perceived cost meets the value. Gone are the days of giving premium contracts to players for what they’ve already done. He’s paying for high pedigree with upside and will be looking for good deals on guys with colder than expected markets.

He wants to build through the draft. While I’d be surprised if he’s not inquiring about  Watson, he’s also going to make sure he has scouted all of the top QBs and has all of his options thought through before making a move on any QB trade.. including Sam. So yes, it’s a process. You’d have to think his preference is to keep the picks and build though the draft but I also hope that he’s not so stubborn that he’d pass up DeShaun if he’s lukewarm about Sam and then his years prospects.

27 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Watson has little impact on salary this year... something like 7 Million... Not sure why everyone thinks there is a big cap hit... His later years have bigger cap hits but when the salary cap should balloon with the new TV deal... So this is really a non-issue.

I am aware of his current contract and I expect him to ask for more $$ this yr from ANY team that trades for him

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I sure do hope the Wilson hype fans turn out to be more right than the Darnold hype fans were.

It won't matter. If he sucks, they'll flip their opinion and forget they ever though otherwise while telling us whomever the next QB is the bestest ever. 

It must be so nice to forget being wrong and always operating under the magic delusion that you are always right. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, riggy001 said:

I am aware of his current contract and I expect him to ask for more $$ this yr from ANY team that trades for him

No chance... all that money for this year was already given to him... he is not going to restructure ... maybe next year.

6 hours ago, Skeptable said:

I think his cap hit is something like 40 million next year so saving cap money to roll over isnt a terrible idea either.