Jets talking with JuJu

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm not at all eager, and thought the calls/predictions for him to simply get cut for cap reasons (without first replacing him) were nuts. But JJSS is an obvious upgrade: Crowder is very good; JJSS is special, even if he is a douche. 

Also Crowder is a UFA after the season, and tbh should be taking a $3MM pay cut (if he was making $6-7MM we could probably get a mid-round pick for him, even with only 1 year left on his deal).

He's not put up $10MM/yr numbers, and it's unknown how receptive he'll be to taking a cut. The availability-uncertainty due to injury has been part of the package with him, and a healthy (and extra year-experienced) Mims + Corey Davis makes it unlikely his numbers are going to see a big uptick even if he does play 16 games.

There's also another potential benefit which is locking in JJSS this year may come at a discount because of the dropped cap. 

My main nagging concern is just history: Pittsburgh rarely lets go of a WR and ends up with pie on their face for doing it, and there's some decent history of their WRs not being so stellar elsewhere. 

Sort of reminds one of the last time the Jets were considering getting a Steeler's WR, what was his name again...Santana Holmes or something like that? Was he related to Johnny Wadd Holmes? wink wink

37 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This would round our a solid WR core...especially if they keep Crowder.

ZW must be smiling.

Mims is probably my favioret player on the team. I was in love with before the draft and had him ranked 3rd behind Jefferson and Juedy last year but he needs to develop big time as our speed threat if we do this. JuJu is a possesion guy who will do whatever it takes to get his team yards even if the ball isn't going to him on a play. He'll block, he'll be the first person in the pile to pick up a loose ball..... all sh*t I want on my team. I'm just not sure and I'm willing to be corrected on Davis but I kinda see him as a possession guy also. I'm willing to be corrected on Davis cause I've barely seen him play. I would have probably preferred Juju, but I'm not sure about both. Not going to complain though abput adding talent to the offense after last year

• Upvote 2

Just now, SAR I said:

Isn't the Shanahan offense all about a bunch of guys running short slants from the slot?  No way I want to lose Crowder.  I want 'em both.

Hey Jets, if you're reading this, I've got a $5,000 season ticket check just waiting to get written, and the Jamison/JuJu show gets me to lick that postage stamp today.  Well, pull it from the sticker book.  You know what I mean.

SAR I

Haha, put those names in the memo! Bwahaha 

• Post of the Week 1

29 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

And if you keep them both you can go hard for OL, CB and Edge in the draft.  One less position to worry about in the early rounds.

We got our edge.

Leaves open OL to go hog wild- guards at 23 and 34 - RB in with the first pick in the 3rd....

I really don't care about defense right now, I care about developing whoever our new young QB is going to be,

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

JuJu like Beckham has a huge social media following and signed with Roc Nations marketing agency. I think he would be smart to work things out financially with the Jets or Giants as he'll make the money back off the field with no problem. Probably instead of asking for $16 mil and two guarenteed years, he gets $14 mil with 3 guarenteed years. 

This is the great appeal of going to a team in the New York market.  This would be good for him.  He has mentioned it on IG before that there is life beyond football.  Football is not his only priority.  Build up his following and play a little football.

28 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Crowder and Juju are redundant. Juju is an upgrade, age wise, talent wise, and production wise.

Are we signing Randy Moss? NO. But Juju is definitely an upgrade and at only 24 could be a steal for a 3 year contract.

Crowder is gone after this season anyway if we keep him.

My understand is not in this Shanahan system.  Those are the types of guys they want. 

There is no reasonable reason not to keep both of them.  

4 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

Sort of reminds one of the last time the Jets were considering getting a Steeler's WR, what was his name again...Santana Holmes or something like that? Was he related to Johnny Wadd Holmes? wink wink

Honestly, getting Holmes was a great trade. A 5th round pick for 12 games of a star WR, with some postseason heroics on his CV, in a contract year? That's a move I'd make any/every season.

Then after one year of use (and the loss of use of the first 2 seasons of a 5th round pick) they could/would have gotten back an even higher pick in a 3rd round comp. It was like free money.

The mistake was guaranteeing him 3 seasons after that.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

He is not a star ... he is a solid slot 2-3. But he does have energy and that is infectious.

The 2 seasons that he played in all 16 games 2020 and 2018 he absolutely put up star numbers

2018: 111 catches for 1426 Yds 7 TDs and 68 FD's

2020: 97 Catches 831 yds and 9 TD's 

he's also had 2 97 yard TD's in his 4 years in the NFL

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Isn't the Shanahan offense all about a bunch of guys running short slants from the slot while the line slides to the left and the RB glides to the right?  No way I want to lose Crowder.  I want 'em both.

Hey Jets, if you're reading this, I've got a $5,000 season ticket check just waiting to get written, and the Jamison/JuJu show gets me to lick that postage stamp today.  Well, pull it from the sticker book.  You know what I mean.

SAR I

Most stamps are peel and apply but everyone knows you would have the help the help lick your stamp..B)

7 minutes ago, section314 said:

Or that they have to ditch Crowder?

They may not have to ditch Crowder, but he'd have to take enough of a pay cut that he'd likely balk at it. No one heads into a season paying essentially a backup slot receiver a non-guaranteed $10MM (and one who's not exactly been the Iron Horse II at that).

He'd have to drop his $ to a maximum of $6MM to even think about it, and even then that's high for a team's WR4. He can probably do better than that as a FA, and his value won't go up if he hits FA as the Jets' WR4 catching passes from a rookie or even Darnold again. Douglas is still likely to add a TE, too, to leave that many fewer opportunities for him. 

I like Crowder plenty, and think the team would be fine with him instead of JJSS this year. But if they did add a $15MM/year slot receiver, there's a numbers game.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Why are people assuming that signing JuJu means it’s likely they run it back with Darnold? Zach Wilson will need quality targets too. 

It's stupid.  It's because Juju played with Darnold in college.

One thing has nothing to do with the other.  Jets are taking Wilson at 2 and trading Sam.

40 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I'd not be shocked if Joe Douglas and Mike LaFleur decide to hold onto Sam Darnold and hedge their bets by bringing in a veteran to compete for the starting job

Ah, but you see, Sam Darnold is the veteran guy competing for the job when we draft Zach Wilson.

SAR I

15 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

The 2 seasons that he played in all 16 games 2020 and 2018 he absolutely put up star numbers

2018: 111 catches for 1426 Yds 7 TDs and 68 FD's

2020: 97 Catches 831 yds and 9 TD's 

he's also had 2 97 yard TD's in his 4 years in the NFL

That monster year came as a direct result of Antonio Brown. Since then ... very solid 2-3.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

That's a legitimate NFL WR core.  Not the best but certainly NFL caliber...and would be our first in a very long time.

Ha! How beaten down are we that presented with what most teams would consider an acceptable receiver corps, we would think 'thats too good for the jets, theyll never invest in it'

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I didnt watch much of Juju this season, but to anyone who did, why did he average such a low YPC? 97 catches is amazing but just over 800 yards? Was it due to Big Bens lack of an arm anymore, or is it also an indictment on Juju?