CBS Mock/We Trade down to 8, Take Mac

6 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

I would think going from 8 to 2 would cost more than just #73 and next year's 1. But otherwise I like it for the Jets. 

It's an absolutely horrible trade for the Jets for the reason you mentioned. Getting a 3rd rd pick this year and future 1st is not nearly enough to drop 6 spots. 

To go from 2 to 8, the Jets would need to get back at least 1200 points per the the chart (and it's usually much higher when trading for a QB like Wilson). This trade gives us a 3rd this year (225 points) and a future 1st (which is equivalent to a 2nd this year which is another 450 points). 

So we get about 800 points of value instead of 1200? These writers are worse than the idiots that call into radio stations. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

I would think going from 8 to 2 would cost more than just #73 and next year's 1. But otherwise I like it for the Jets. 

7 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Absolutely.  It would cost a lot more 

I'm not sure it's a bad deal at least according to the draft value chart.  If the Jets pick 12 or higher next year, which is a good possibility, they would make out.  #12 would be slightly over break even with #73 included.

8 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If they love Mac I don't hate it. Seems early to take him but you assure yourself no one else gets him while picking up a bunch of draft capital. They would have to get more in the trade though.

FWIW, PFN mock draft simulator offers the following trade from the Lions.

DET: offers #7, #41, 2022 1st, 2022 LAR 1st, 2022 2nd

I take that and don't look back, ever.

At #7 you are pretty much guaranteed a choice of at least 2 of Pitts, Waddle, Smith or maybe Fields.  Assuming TL, Wilson, Sewell and Chase go somewhere sooner.  WIth all those other picks, you are looking at a potentially strong roster all around by next year, or the ability to move up and draft a QB if there is one worthy.  Worst case, you have the kind of roster that FA QBs want to come to instead of desperately hope to avoid.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I take that and don't look back, ever.

At #7 you are pretty much guaranteed a choice of at least 2 of Pitts, Waddle, Smith or maybe Fields.  Assuming TL, Wilson, Sewell and Chase go somewhere sooner.  WIth all those other picks, you are looking at a potentially strong roster all around by next year, or the ability to move up and draft a QB if there is one worthy.  Worst case, you have the kind of roster that FA QBs want to come to instead of desperately hope to avoid.

Agreed, love the trade down. It's the Mac part that knocks it down for me. But if they love him, they should go for it I guess. Doubt this happens btw.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Agreed, love the trade down. It's the Mac part that knocks it down for me. But if they love him, they should go for it I guess. Doubt this happens btw.

There is friction on any trades like this.  Another team would have to love Wilson (or whoever) a lot more than we do to make it possible.  I think JD is more value-focused than many GMs who are conservative and won't trade unless the deal feels one-side in their favor.  I can't say if any GMs are more in line with the hype on Wilson than Douglas is.  I can't say if they would be right to be.  From a purely mathematical perspective, there should actually be a lot more trades than there are.  

Don't expect Fields or Wilson to be there.   But I'm ok with resetting the QB position with a Trey Lance at #8.  No way with Jones.  

And Jets should get a return something like a 2021 2nd and 3rd.  A 2022 1st and 2nd.  And a 2023 1st. 

If teams are offering chump change for a precious #2.  Then just nix that and take a QB at #2.  Leave Panthers looking like fools with their pathetic attempt at improving their QB position.   

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If they love Mac I don't hate it. Seems early to take him but you assure yourself no one else gets him while picking up a bunch of draft capital. They would have to get more in the trade though.

FWIW, PFN mock draft simulator offers the following trade from the Lions.

DET: offers #7, #41, 2022 1st, 2022 LAR 1st, 2022 2nd

this ^

If the Jets like Mac Jones you have to trade out of pick 2 and gain more picks, its a no brainer. 

If you like Wilson then you simply take Wilson at 2.

Mac Jones is the perfect QB for the WCO. Obviously I don't know the guy but the word on him is he's a very smart QB.

Big armed QB's slinging it all over the field are not what the WCO is all about. The WCO is a move the chains type of offense. Once you get going and in a rhythm its hard to stop and you have less in the way of 3 and outs than some of the gun slinging offenses which in turn helps the defense with time of possession.

Drew Brees made a career in yards and completion percentage throwing the ball to his backs, its why New Orleans is always deep at the position and always will be its a philosophy on offense that works especially when you are three deep at RB and all are capable of both running receiving and blocking for the QB.

Remember the QB who ran the first iteration of the WCO in the NFL under Bill Walsh, certainly not a big armed QB but very smart and had ice in his veins. Remember that guy ?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

Can Mac play in a west coast offense?

Curious to hear what others think. I think he can. Whether it’s the Shanny WCO or the Matt LaFleur WCO, he can play in either one.

He wasn’t asked to roll out but there’s a few examples. I think he’ll show to be as athletic as Darnold at his pro day. He has a better deep ball than Darnold. Watching him throw on the run will likely be the only question mark.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

In this scenario, I’d prefer to pick BAP offensive line at 8 and Najee Harris at 23. After that, I’d trade all 3 first rounders next year for Watson.

@Woody I am available for employment 

Unfortunately I doubt our package next year would be as good as this year's offer with #2oa.Someone else might be able to offer a better package next year. Houston could be screwed by not being able to grab their future QB next year. Time will tell.

41 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

That would be classic Jets.

I don't think Jones is terrible but he's not really a top 10 prospect in today's NFL. Too limited. Plus as Tua demonstrated that ridiculous offence makes it easy to overperform. Devonta Smith was just always open. 

In the extremely limited amount of time I've seen him play, I see nothing to suggest he has the physical tools to play at the next level.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

this ^

If the Jets like Mac Jones you have to trade out of pick 2 and gain more picks, its a no brainer. 

If you like Wilson then you simply take Wilson at 2.

Mac Jones is the perfect QB for the WCO. Obviously I don't know the guy but the word on him is he's a very smart QB.

Big armed QB's slinging it all over the field are not what the WCO is all about. The WCO is a move the chains type of offense. Once you get going and in a rhythm its hard to stop and you have less in the way of 3 and outs than some of the gun slinging offenses which in turn helps the defense with time of possession.

Drew Brees made a career in yards and completion percentage throwing the ball to his backs, its why New Orleans is always deep at the position and always will be its a philosophy on offense that works especially when you are three deep at RB and all are capable of both running receiving and blocking for the QB.

Remember the QB who ran the first iteration of the WCO in the NFL under Bill Walsh, certainly not a big armed QB but very smart and had ice in his veins. Remember that guy ?

he was aight

10 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

Don't expect Fields or Wilson to be there.   But I'm ok with resetting the QB position with a Trey Lance at #8.  No way with Jones.  

And Jets should get a return something like a 2021 2nd and 3rd.  A 2022 1st and 2nd.  And a 2023 1st. 

If teams are offering chump change for a precious #2.  Then just nix that and take a QB at #2.  Leave Panthers looking like fools with their pathetic attempt at improving their QB position.   

Is Lance accurate enough for a West Coast offensive scheme?

if the jets take a qb with their first pick, as long as they do their homework and know the guy can play the way they want i'm going to be okay.  likewaise is they determine that darnold is the right guy, so be it.  as for mac jones, it would be nice to see a bama qb on the jets again.  sure he played on a loaded team but so did lawrence and fields.  these teams aren't slouches because they have bad players.  we'll see where this all goes.

51 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

A lot more.  First of all, the proposed deal included the Jets giving up like #143 in the draft as well.

If it was me, I give them #2.  I get back #8, this years 2nd round pick, next years 1st round pick, and next years 2nd round pick.  If they want a pick back, I would give them next years 5th round pick just to make everyone happy.  

If the Jets went for the proposed trade as outlined by CBS, then we basically give up the best player in the draft minus Lawrence, and at the mercy of 6 teams picking ahead of us.  Do the Jets really believe that Mac Jones is better than Wilson, Fields and Lance?  

I hate when other entities (who are definitely not fans of the Jets) try to tell the Jets what is fair.  Like when that clown Patriot lover sports commentator ( can't remember his name), said that the Jets should give up multiple 1st rounders, 2nd rounders and Quinen Williams for Watson.  What a joke!!

The proposed trade by CBS if it happens, will look much different than what CBS is proposing.