Justin Fields Pro Day 3/30 (for those still holding on)

7 minutes ago, Jdub03 said:

I agree that ZW has a more natural movement on these types of throws, but this throw was nearly 70 yards, the ZW throw was 10 or more yards shorter I believe. Having to load up more for 70 yards is understandable.

19 minutes ago, cookiemonsta911 said:

I don;t see Fields being vocal on the sidelines and in the huddle. 

The leadership is what might settle him to only win 1 superbowl  vs multiple. Keep that in mind.

Watch the Netflix show QB1 he was in his senior year of HS.  I didn’t like fields after he left Georgia, I’m a Georgia fan and the show made me like him.  

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I haven’t to date talked about Fields a lot with regards to his ability to scramble and run - mostly cause you can ever RELY on that. There’ll come a game where defenses sell out  to stop that... 

but let’s take a moment to fcking appreciate what that can do to sustain drives/put a fork in your opponent when your QB at 6’3/225 can tear down the field with that frame. 

good night. 

good night? But its only 2:35 ?

I prefer Fields but I wont be upset if its Wilson.  Fields to me has that exta grit in him that fits the Saleh mold. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Maybe I'm the only one but I see a ton of similarities between Darnold and Wilson's skill sets.  Pretty similar players IMO, especially as rookies.

There is a reason many love Darnold... he has special skills. But he is mentally broken as a QB, no confidence.

Wilson is Darnold with elite arm strength and perfect mechanics. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

This.  I prefer Fields, but as long as one of these guys is on our roster by the end of April, I will be happy.  At least as happy as I was at the end of April 2018. 

Hopefully the feeling lasts longer this time around.

Agreed.  I really thought Sam was going to be the guy, now my expectations are tempered regardless of who the Jets select.   

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

The ability to pick up 50 yards in the air or on the ground in a moments notice is so ******* hard to defend, throw in how deadly he is in the redzone.  Purely electric

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I haven’t to date talked about Fields a lot with regards to his ability to scramble and run - mostly cause you can ever RELY on that. There’ll come a game where defenses sell out  to stop that... 

but let’s take a moment to fcking appreciate what that can do to sustain drives/put a fork in your opponent when your QB at 6’3/225 can tear down the field with that frame. 

good night. 

Same. Shanny offense with a Fields gets me pretty excited. 

48332b110237309.5fe7e6fa91e1f.thumb.png.7d77f63a996d0c11103b427d697b0367.pngEmkmAAeXMAgPdwv.thumb.jpg.72d1cfdab73ebc2c607bd4b73e6cf30d.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That's where I was initially, before the Watson-availability made me rethink to use the pick on a QB, but now I don't know that I still feel that way. 

The only acceptable reason to trade down is if we truly like a lower-ranked prospect equally as much or better than a higher one. No way do I take a QB I absolutely feel is inferior to another I could have gotten, just to get an extra future 1st round pick of unknown slot that I might use on a guard or something which can be found any year in the draft or FA - including well past the 1st round - if that future pick isn't a bust/disappointment outright.

My goal here as GM would be to find the signal caller for the next 15 years, since the team is loaded with more than enough resources to build a winner outside that position without trading down. Not the best pair of tackles, not the best anything else when we're picking up this high and our current QB is this bad. I won't miss that extra pick 5 years later, let alone 10 or more, if the #2 pick QB pans out.

I get the point of hedging it, but when this team's got so many high picks already - independent of that #2 pick - I'm taking the best QB on my board, whichever guy that is. I don't f*** around with it & leave it to chance that someone leapfrogs us and we don't get the other guy with our traded-down slot either, unless it's a prospect I think is a 2nd round guy and am willing to take him at #23 just to be safe (a la Ravens with Flacco, after trading out of the top 10). That's really the only acceptable trade-down result to me, and I don't really love it.

To a degree it depends on the trade down options - is Carolina offering #8 and 2 more 1s and a BJ for #2? Probably not, and we have no real knowledge of how quickly these QBs are going to go off the board. It may yet be the case that Cincy also trades down for the same pick-accumulating reason, and now QBs go off at picks 1-2-3-4-5. What then? Sacrifice another whole season so we can congratulate ourselves on losing to build "the right way" for the umpteenth time?

Bleh. Pick our top QB prospect, whichever guy that is, and get what we can for Darnold. If the 2021 QB is not what we hoped, take another one in 2023 (or earlier if he's Josh Rosen Ievel bad, as Arizona did). 

To keep it brief, and I could get more verbose here, I get it but I think that is the same general logic that has led to a lot of quarterback busts in the top three.

Most of the guys who have been good have come into good situations, and the Jets right now are not a good situation. That or teams are really bad at evaluating quarterbacks. It’s one of the other - so I’m not super committed to taking the second guy off the board.

I also think realistically the range of outcomes and the probabilities they hit those outcomes for Fields, Lance, and Wilson are similar. Everyone is going to have their favorite and get more entrenched in their beliefs as the discussions continue - not unlike this board - but regardless I think it’s pretty much splitting hairs with those guys. To the point that the extra capital is definitely the way to go - even if you have to set up the trade back up like Miami did.

I also weirdly both like Douglas and think there’s a good chance the QB at 2 goes poorly but I’d like to see what he can do given time.

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

The ability to pick up 50 yards in the air or on the ground in a moments notice is so ******* hard to defend, throw in how deadly he is in the redzone.  Purely electric

11 minutes ago, Paradis said:

good night. 

The combination of size, arm strength, accuracy, and speed is pretty much unprecedented I think. I can’t think of any prospect who had all 4 at the level Fields does.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Lith said:

This.  I prefer Fields, but as long as one of these guys is on our roster by the end of April, I will be happy.  At least as happy as I was at the end of April 2018. 

Hopefully the feeling lasts longer this time around.

I was at the Jets draft party at MetLife Stadium in 2018. I booed when Mayfield went 1. I booed when we took Darnold, I looked a man in the face and said “Darnold sucks.” So I’m guaranteed to be happier for longer.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, johnnysd said:

You know we did get the joke about 399 identical posts ago. It wasn't funny then either.

He is like one of those annoying bots that keeps posting the same thing or a variation of it over and over.  Come to think of it...  

• Upvote 1

Still don’t know why he’s falling when he was almost at 1B discussion at points early in the season, and only had like 1 bad game. Without listening to any outside noise Fields is my guy. But I do realize the reality that everyone has Wilson higher and he’s the pick. I do see why Wilson is hyped too, great arm and accurate and I would be thrilled with the pick. But I’ll always root for Fields to prove everyone wrong 

• Upvote 3

Just now, kdels62 said:

I was at the Jets draft party at MetLife Stadium in 2018. I booed when Mayfield went 1. I booed when we took Darnold, I looked a man in the face and said “Darnold sucks.” So I’m guaranteed to be happier for longer.

I was there also , wanted Allen and was ridiculed by all my Jet fan friends.  I hope I'm right again but this time with Fields. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Most NFL worthy QB's look great in shorts. I want to see what happens when guys get manhandled by NFL defenses , does it motivate them to play better or do they shrink like a flower. We've seen Fields response in a number of games this season, I'm not sure Wilson has faced that type situation yet and that scares me. 

Good point. Fields went all Rocky Balboa in the Clemson game. Dude was not going down and was still throwing dimes. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

The combination of size, arm strength, accuracy, and speed is pretty much unprecedented I think. I can’t think of any prospect who had all 4 at the level Fields does.

RGIII though I don’t think RGIII was as good a passer.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Simms - is all in on Wilson , wavering here makes him look wishy washy . Just like some of us here are all in on Fields. 

he also has Fields behind Mond...u dont close that gap with a pro-day. he is clearly not a fan to that level.

Just now, Shockwave said:

Fields was the most accurate passer on all 3 levels last year and its we have all known he's a 4.5 guy all year. Why are people acting like its the first time they are seeing it?

I certainly really like Fields. I have been warming up to Wilson too as it seems likely he is our pick. I'll be happy as long as we pick one of them. 

I will just say if the Niners pass on Fields it will really look poor for Shanahan in a few years. Start Jimmy G this year and let Fields sit for a year. Mac Jones over this guy is just crazy to me. 

hes simply not the most accurate at all three levels. Just look at any game he is shockingly inaccurate on short throws, sanchez like. He is supremely accurate on deep throws. 

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I've said it before and I'll say it one last time.  From a "tools" stand point, Fields is the best in this class.  Strictly physical gifts, he's the best total package.

I think Lance may have something to say about that.... 

2 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

he also has Fields behind Mond...u dont close that gap with a pro-day. he is clearly not a fan to that level.

Right which just means he's hitched his wagon to Wilson. If he liked Fields I'm sure he'd use competition or injury concerns to rank Wilson 4th or 5th.  What's he have to lose , If Wilson becomes a stud he looks great , if Fields becomes a stud no one will call him on the carpet for it . 

On 3/29/2021 at 7:51 AM, Dcat said:

I kind of like Fields better than Wilson.. but that's just an eyeball test.  I'm surprised that Fields is not up there with Wilson, Mac Jones and Lance.  What am I missing here?

I would take Fields over Mac Jones - not close in terms of skill set IMO. I've been wrong before though. :) Just watching both pro days - Fields has more zip on the ball and the athleticism isn't close. I prefer ZW with the way he throws the ball - most accurate and with more zip - also will be more fun overall to have on your team. He could take over NYC. Fields is much more laid back and quiet - not quite a NY thing, hehe. Lance I can't comment on. I think Fields and Wilson will be very good. I love Fields competitiveness - guy is a warrior.

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, QB1 said:

hes simply not the most accurate at all three levels. Just look at any game he is shockingly inaccurate on short throws, sanchez like. He is supremely accurate on deep throws. 

Taken in context though , those throws in essence are off script for the OSU offense while they were staples in the BYU and Clemson offensive schemes.  

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

"Lance was our guy all along"

If I were them, I'd happily take Fields but they probably won't

Fields or Lance and let them sit for year behind Jimmy G or until he gets hurt again.  That is the smart move.  Moving up to draft Mac Jones would be a mistake of MacCagnian proportions lol. 

• Upvote 1

Pro day when a QB a draft expert is down on or that  you  don’t want your team to draft does well: “ who cares about pro day it’s against no defense it’s meaningless”

pro day when it’s a QB a draft guy is high on or you want your team to draft “ Holy sh1t this is amazing you have to take him at 2!!”

• Upvote 1