Love the Drafting Philosophy

Want to see what impact JD has had?  Compare the offense to two years ago.

At this point, the ONLY returning starter is Crowder and even he might be replaced.  Complete turnover and hopefully improvement at every other position (although Bell *should* have been much better than he was).

Meanwhile on defense we have only two returning starters, Maye and Quinnen.  We regressed a bit at Safety (Maye vs. whoever we start) and are probably treading water at CB and perhaps LB, but we have a far better pass rush just by adding Lawson.  Even if it's a wash, a vastly improved offense combined with this defense can be competitive.

Are there warts?  Sure.  We may or may not have a good Punter.  We are definitely confused at the Kicker position.  And the TE, DB and LB corps, in particular, are a bit of an unknown for the moment.  We have lots of potential gamers at the latter two but it's still a mystery, albeit with cap room to add one or two vets to the mix.  Everything depends on Wilson being what we hope he can, and not needing to even glance at whoever our backup will ultimately be.  If we get that, I think we're good.

Overall, I truly believe the foundation of this roster is stronger and with the load of picks we have next year and continued cap strength, not to mention the coaching turnover, this is poised to be a team we can be proud of and excited to watch, with a real shot at contention as early as 2022.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

I think Douglas had a load off his shoulders after Captain Duncil Adam Gase got canned.  Gms always say they are working well with their HC and are on the same page.  With Saleh and Douglas I really do think this is the case.

I also think that Davis, Clark, and possibly Zuniga will all improve with the new coaching, especially Davis. 

I think that kid will be a big swiss army knife in the Cover 3 scheme.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I also think that Davis, Clark, and possibly Zuniga will all improve with the new coaching, especially Davis. 

And an offseason of OTAs, mini-camp and preseason games unlike their rookie season

• Upvote 2

Finally a rebuild with a logical phase 2 !

Most GMs can cut dead weight but it’s obviously what you do with the cap room and picks that matters. Actually no, it’s how you develop and coach and motivate and mesh the talent that matters. 

the thing that gave me goosebumps was Salehs comments to Zach about the team lifting him up, not the other way around 

a plan plus talent plus a vision ?!?

is it game day yet?

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I love our drafting philosophy.

• Don’t be shy in the early rounds, be aggressive and get impact positions secured.

• Later rounds draft guys who are athletic, versatile, and can play special teams! This has been lost on this team for quite some time. Historically, We always drafted slumberous players and never take special teams into account. I love how all of these guys on D can play a variety of roles, crucial for the zone D.

• Offense and supporting our QB doesn’t just matter, it should be the prime focal point of the majority of our high picks. 

• I thought overall this was a much better draft for Joe D, and while his first one had some home runs and really liked last years… the Zuniga, Perrine, Clark, and Morgan picks look like absolute whiffs. I see the majority of this class significantly contributing.

I also love the notion of quality over quantity.  6 new starters on offense in the drafts alone from 2020 and 2021.  Also have to believe that having all those picks next year factored into the mindset of trading up for tucker.  

• Upvote 2

Turning those box safety into LB should help with the middle of the field defense, along with our pass rush, which should reduce some of the pressure on our Cornerbacks. On 2022 draft get a top Center and Right Tackle but I would love for the UDFA would help change that so they would not need to do that in 2022 draft. 

Great observation. This is my favorite draft since 2005. We had a clear strategy:

- Pandemic year means less ability to vet players so prioritize your top 30-50 players, once those guys are gone trade back and grab as many lottery stabs as you can.

- Take best players available at positions of need with emphasis on Offense to balance the focus on Defense the team had in early free agency. (Reflecting a strong POV on where the quality sat at each phase this off season)

- When considering needs focus on what you need to full exploit Shanahan O and Salah D schemes (Need athletic O line play, add a Deebo, 4-3lbs and CBs that can thrive in zone coverage, etc)

- Trust your coaching staff and give them stuff to work with: Emphasize athleticism (RAS as heuristic) and teachability (recall and scheme understanding in interviews came up consistently)

This is the principled approach I have been wanting us to take going into a draft for ages. Couldn't be more excited.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

• Don’t be shy in the early rounds, be aggressive and get impact positions secured.

• Later rounds draft guys who are athletic, versatile, and can play special teams! This has been lost on this team for quite some time. Historically, We always drafted slumberous players and never take special teams into account. I love how all of these guys on D can play a variety of roles, crucial for the zone D.

• Offense and supporting our QB doesn’t just matter, it should be the prime focal point of the majority of our high picks. 

• I thought overall this was a much better draft for Joe D, and while his first one had some home runs and really liked last years… the Zuniga, Perrine, Clark, and Morgan picks look like absolute whiffs. I see the majority of this class significantly contributing.

Agree 100%. Good fusion with coaching staff. 

What I liked the most about this draft was the collaboration and honest enthusiasm between JD and his staff with Saleh and his coaches. 

Saleh is a legit HC.  That didn't need to be pleased with defensive picks in the earlier part of the draft.  He recognized the importance of protecting his new QB...ZW.   And providing Zach with the necessary weapons to help him succeed.   

Saleh was on board with JD utilizing the early part of the draft for fixing the offense.  And here's the key...JD gave back to Saleh and his position coaches...the mid-late rounds (six picks in all) to fill needed positions on defense.  Those players picked reflect the kinds of players  Saleh-Ulbrich want for DB-LB roles on the D.  Hybrid versatile types that will fill roles and niches in Saleh's 4-2-5 schemes.  

If those 2022  eleven draft picks next year reflect a similar collaboration.  Jets fans will be not just happy with those draft picks.  But in it's translation to that football field with a W-L and the playoffs.  A start of a run of them.  And most important...becoming SUPE contenders.

This 2021 FA-draft process...is the symbol of the true start of a new Era...the JD-Saleh one.

Cause...it's ALL gas...no gase...what a difference that makes! 

• Upvote 2

Saleh must have despised our secondary prior to the draft. He had JD target 5 straight players in the secondary. Yea while Sherwood and Nasim might play hybrid S/LB, that's still a lot to invest in the secondary.  Saleh may have not picked the particular players for the secondary, but it sure looks like he highly influenced JD's reasoning in the 2nd half of the draft. Overkill? Perhaps. But it's nice to see a HC and GM be on the same page working towards a common scheme and fit.

• Upvote 1

I absolutely loved JDs draft philosophy. 

Heading into the draft I wanted our first 5 picks to be QB, RB, WR and O-Line x2. 

I got everything I wanted, minus a double down @ O-Line (I wanted Trey Smith to following the Michael Carter pick). 

JD went QB (1st), O-Line (1st), WR (2nd), RB (4th). 

I'm so pumped. 

Got one of my FSU kids too! The next Jamal Adams. 

I've been thinking a lot about draft strategy too. I'm more excited about where this lines us up for next year. For example, the biggest "needs" on this team after the NFL draft are:

CB, EDGE, C/OG/RT, LB

Now look at where we're positioned to draft next year, with 2 in each of the first 3 rounds.

The (general) area you need to draft to get a premium player plug and play starter in each spot (in my opinion)

Edge - Top/Mid first

CB - Mid/Late first

C/OG/RT - solid interior line starters especially for the right side can be easily drafted in the 2nd round (and in the case of centers, sometimes in the third)

LB - Mid/Late first, Early second

So what we're left with is a draft structure next year that permits us to get quality players in all of the remaining areas of major need. Of course none of this takes into account FA, trades, or player development. But we drafted in such a way this year that we have so much flexibility next year to address all of our needs with the best available players.

• Upvote 2

On 5/2/2021 at 10:15 AM, Jets723 said:

JD is very strategic.  I do think next year we will focus more on defense at the top since we addressed offense these past two years without high picks but either way I also love his draft philosophy 

I think he will continue to draft one O lineman in the first two rounds until he has a starting O line that he loves.

It’s interesting. We fans can have some fun debating the trade up to get AVT and having to use the 66 and 86 picks. It’s pretty easy to argue it either way, staying put or trading up. But for JD he did not hesitate for a moment. There are reports he was trying to get up to 10 with Dallas. The Jets were clearly on a mission and when you can address your biggest need with the best player in the draft at that position it’s a big accomplishment, kind of like flipping the field in a football game. I like it and I think JD made this move because of how loaded he is next year in the draft.

On 5/2/2021 at 10:15 AM, Jets723 said:

JD is very strategic.  I do think next year we will focus more on defense at the top since we addressed offense these past two years without high picks but either way I also love his draft philosophy 

Sorry but is it bad to hope Russell Wilson gets mono and syphillis just for this upcoming season.

I really hope Seattle goes full meltdown, the the NFC West stays crazy hard and that #1 pick we have for Jamal gets more and more valuable.

I loved Jamal for most of his time here but as Daniel Jeremiah said during the draft, JD's main job was reallocating resources to the best spots.  Don't pay a box safety $16 million a year.  Put that money into an Edge player like Carl Lawson and take that draft capital and aggressively fortify the OL like with AVT. 

trade basically so far:

Jamal Adams and a third rounder for AVT plus Seattle's first rounder next year = this is fkn highway robbery by JD.

On 5/2/2021 at 10:38 AM, Adoni Beast said:

Saleh being excited for both Davis and Zuniga being on the roster should be enough to hope for a turn around from both players. 

6 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Saleh being excited for both Davis and Zuniga being on the roster should be enough to hope for a turn around from both players. 

True but I remember when Rex Ryan was “excited” about what he could do with Gholston. 

I do think Davis is going to be a big impact player for us. Zuniga….might not make the roster if I had to guess.

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

True but I remember when Rex Ryan was “excited” about what he could do with Gholston. 

I do think Davis is going to be a big impact player for us. Zuniga….might not make the roster if I had to guess.

It's hard to say, He may finally be healthy and he was kind of still coming back last year.  Once you get in Gregs Dog house its hard to get out, Not sure what to expect from him, but in an attacking defensive front I could see someone with his athletic profile be a good rotational piece. I would agree with you though, I'm more bullish on Davis being an asset than zuniga 

On 5/2/2021 at 9:04 AM, GreenReaper said:

What I liked the most about this draft was the collaboration and honest enthusiasm between JD and his staff with Saleh and his coaches. 

Saleh is a legit HC.  That didn't need to be pleased with defensive picks in the earlier part of the draft.  He recognized the importance of protecting his new QB...ZW.   And providing Zach with the necessary weapons to help him succeed.   

Saleh was on board with JD utilizing the early part of the draft for fixing the offense.  And here's the key...JD gave back to Saleh and his position coaches...the mid-late rounds (six picks in all) to fill needed positions on defense.  Those players picked reflect the kinds of players  Saleh-Ulbrich want for DB-LB roles on the D.  Hybrid versatile types that will fill roles and niches in Saleh's 4-2-5 schemes.  

If those 2022  eleven draft picks next year reflect a similar collaboration.  Jets fans will be not just happy with those draft picks.  But in it's translation to that football field with a W-L and the playoffs.  A start of a run of them.  And most important...becoming SUPE contenders.

This 2021 FA-draft process...is the symbol of the true start of a new Era...the JD-Saleh one.

Cause...it's ALL gas...no gase...what a difference that makes! 

The last 6 picks tell me that Saleh thinks his staff can coach up players. That's exciting. Our previous defensive minded head coaches also wanted to fill the defense with top picks.  And you can tell Saleh is genuinely excited about offensive picks. Also those last 6 picks could make our special teams formidable at the same time which is more important than many think

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Saleh must have despised our secondary prior to the draft. He had JD target 5 straight players in the secondary. Yea while Sherwood and Nasim might play hybrid S/LB, that's still a lot to invest in the secondary.  Saleh may have not picked the particular players for the secondary, but it sure looks like he highly influenced JD's reasoning in the 2nd half of the draft. Overkill? Perhaps. But it's nice to see a HC and GM be on the same page working towards a common scheme and fit.

Many mock drafts had the Jets taking a CB in the first or second round because it was widely seen as a pretty big need. I don't know why LB wasn't talked about more with the switch to the 4-3, but it was also a roster hole. He obviously focused on offense early and, by doing so, landed surer things all the way down to Michael Carter in the fourth. 

Looking for CBs and LBs in the fifth and sixth rounds is a little dicier, so he basically doubled up in the classic, "throwing **** at the wall and seeing what sticks," technique. He went with mostly top athletes who will at least compete for roster spots via specials teams but, if they manage to come away with one CB and one LB who become rookie contributors on defense, he'll have done very well there. I think it's a better approach than to take just one hopeful at each position. You miss on one hopeful, you've got nothing. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/2/2021 at 10:13 AM, Adoni Beast said:

After a season with virtually no training camp and during a pandemic?  I think I will reserve judgment before coming to such conclusions.  Hopefully our CS will do the same.   I remember how everyone was calling Bilal Powell a bust after his first season too.    

On 5/2/2021 at 10:13 AM, Adoni Beast said:

I have no complaints about JD's philosophy, best as we Fans not sitting in the Draft War Room can understand it.

Our Offense was a pit, we drafted a QB #2 Overall, and we spent most of our legit Draft Capital supporting the new QB.  Makes perfect sense to me.  Not the QB I'd have taken, but we'll see.  QB class is all TBD at this point.

The Defense was in a better spot talent wise, had already signed it's big $$ pass rushing edge, with a HC who is a Defensive Coach, and with one notable big #1 free agent CB are still available to us.  We thus used later picks on athletic, team captain, high character types (mostly/reportedly) who will at least hopefully come into camp and really care and compete, and who should raise the overall depth level of the Defensive roster, especially and specifically at DB and LB.  

Hard to find too much fault with that. 

Only real questionable move was the trade up for AVT (I know homers, save it) but given that AVT should be a legit aegis for Wilson for years to come, it's fine really.

Our roster should be much improved, talent and depth wise, is 2021, and we still have a ton of draft and cap capital for 2022 and beyond.

Seems like an ok Philosophy to me.  

Now a few more of his picks (both in 2020 and 2021) need to start actually producing on the filed, and we'll be golden.

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

After a season with virtually no training camp and during a pandemic?  I think I will reserve judgment before coming to such conclusions.  Hopefully our CS will do the same.   I remember how everyone was calling Bilal Powell a bust after his first season too.    

I’d be more than happy to be wrong on these guys, especially Zuniga…who I had high hopes for.