RB Carry Distribution?

Was thinking about this the other day and I'm not really sure what to expect so wanted to see what others thought.

As of right now the Jets roster has 5 backs I think someone could make a reasonable argument that would be part of the regular rotation in Carter, Coleman, Perine, Johnson and Adams.  Obviously not all 5 will regularly get carries.

Most NFL teams average about 20-25 runs a game.  I'll guess the Jets with a rookie QB will be closer to 25.

What are everyone's predictions?

If I had to guess today I'd say Carter will get about 10-12 a game and Perine and Coleman both getting 4-6 a game.  I could easily see Perine being left out and Adams being the short yardage back.  Johnson looked good last year and would seemingly be a great fit, but I just don't see where his carries would come.

• Sympathy 1

Carter 10, Coleman 10, Johnson 5.

If there is some true meritocracy here then out of Perine, Johnson, Adams my guess it that Johnson rises to the top.  Looks fast and decisive which is what you want for the wide/outside zone rushing attack.  Perine needs to step up in camp this year or his tenure here might be short.

Do the Practice Squad rules still allow putting a second year guy on the PS?  

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Carter 10, Coleman 10, Johnson 5.

If there is some true meritocracy here then out of Perine, Johnson, Adams my guess it that Johnson rises to the top.  Looks fast and decisive which is what you want for the wide/outside zone rushing attack.  Perine needs to step up in camp this year or his tenure here might be short.

Agree. I think Johnson will be a solid contributor if given the chance.

The x-factor with RBs is how they do when asked to pass-pro.

• Upvote 2

I presume Coleman will be missing games due to injury. I love Johnson’s fit and Adams is not too bad either.

Think Carter is going to eat in the passing game as long as his protection translates.

Perine’s going to need to show out on special teams to stick.

I’ll say looking back at the end of the season Johnson averages roughly 10 carries and about a catch and Carter is closer to 8 carries but right around 3 catches. Rest split among the other guys depending on health and who shows well.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Yes, You can have four players with 1 accrued season.  And another two players with two or more accrued seasons.  

• Upvote 2

I think the 1-2 punch will be perine and carter.

Perine was the star of camp last year then got hurt.  i dont think he was ever really healthy last year and that is why he looked like a JAG.

I think perine will be the surprise of camp this year and it will be a 2 headed monster of Perine/Carter.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Perine was the star of camp last year then got hurt.  i dont think he was ever really healthy last year and that is why he looked like a JAG.

I think perine will be the surprise of camp this year and it will be a 2 headed monster of Perine/Carter.

Had forgotten the early buzz around Perine. Last year was such a sh*tshow. The Jets have truly done a 180!

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Was thinking about this the other day and I'm not really sure what to expect so wanted to see what others thought.

As of right now the Jets roster has 5 backs I think someone could make a reasonable argument that would be part of the regular rotation in Carter, Coleman, Perine, Johnson and Adams.  Obviously not all 5 will regularly get carries.

Most NFL teams average about 20-25 runs a game.  I'll guess the Jets with a rookie QB will be closer to 25.

If I had to guess today I'd say Carter will get about 10-12 a game and Perine and Coleman both getting 4-6 a game.  I could easily see Perine being left out and Adams being the short yardage back.  Johnson looked good last year and would seemingly be a great fit, but I just don't see where his carries would come.

Hot hand gets the rock.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3rd and short, Josh Adams would seem to be the plowhorse you want to run with (preferably behind Becton/AVT).  That's probably good for 3-5 carries per game.  Other than that, I am feeling Carter and Johnson mostly.  Perrine will need to show a lot this preseason to earn his touches.

36 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

If Tevin Coleman is getting any carries we are in trouble. Hoping hes cut. We have no business having any old/injured players running the ball. 

It needs to be the Michael Carter show with Ty Johnson/Josh Adams/Perine mixed in. 

You could use him to get the tough goal line carries, and keep the others fresh.

3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

doubt coleman gets much...just like in SF the better backs will earn the playing time.

18 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

My bet he’s cut, he was a bad pick he’s slow and doesn’t fit the system.

Everyone is an expert on “the system” lol. And Alfred Morris “fit the system” when he ran for 1300 yards under Kyle S?

2 hours ago, Tranquilo said:

Hot hand. The Niners always split Coleman and Brieda till Mostert took the job and he kinda became the head back but got hurt, so they went back to a committee. It’s going to depend on matchup and whoever is hot. 

Even as "lead" back, Mostert wasn't getting more than about 15 touches a game.  The 49er running game was the most random distribution of touches in the NFL.  A fantasy graveyard...

12 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Even as "lead" back, Mostert wasn't getting more than about 15 touches a game.  The 49er running game was the most random distribution of touches in the NFL.  A fantasy graveyard...

Yeah for the most part, but early this past season he was the lead for real (15 carries and 5 targets and McKinnon had 5 and 3) but he got hurt then when he came back, they were careful with him (after he got hurt the second time against the Rams, he had a combined 19)

I think Johnson is going surprise a lot of folks and perhaps win the job outright.   He is only 23 and looked very impressive in limited time.  I think Carter will start out as a third down back and on special teams.  Coleman has experience in the system and played well last year when healthy (problem is he gets hurt too much).  I think Adams will be more suited to short yardage, and goal line situations because he runs with the most power.   Not sure where that leaves Perine but I think he only gets significant time, if someone gets hurt.   All 5 are pass catching threats out of the backfield, especially Carter and Coleman.   For the first time in like forever, we have a well rounded and versatile running back group.   

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You could be right and that would be a good thing because it means JD got it right on both running back picks.   However, I really like Ty Johnson.  I think he is going to be hard to beat out.   If what you are right, and Adams also plays well in camp, I could see Coleman getting cut unless they go with 5 running backs.  

6 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Perine is a JAG. I saw him in person a few times in Gainesville.

The only thing I believe he does better than average is goal line. 

The guy was a very reliable college player, but Perine is not athletic enuf to  be an NFL running back.

Major whiff by JD and scouts...

We have a RBBC.  As much as I loved the draft, I wanted one of the top three RBs.  JD had a different idea and went with Carter.  I love Carter as a complementary piece but I do not know if we have a Gio Bernard or MJD.  The next few seasons will answer that question.  I'm unimpressed with Perine, Johnson or Adams.  Coleman is similar to Carter so maybe they timeshare but too similar to think they can produce at they pace they need to produce.

15 hours ago, Shockwave said:

If Tevin Coleman is getting any carries we are in trouble. Hoping hes cut. We have no business having any old/injured players running the ball. 

It needs to be the Michael Carter show with Ty Johnson/Josh Adams/Perine mixed in. 

This is where I fall on this debate as well.  Coleman is good to have in camp if someone gets hurt, hes a veteran who can hopefully help with the nuances of the system in the RB room, but theres no reason to have someone like Coleman playing a prominent role.

The good thing for perine is that he was a very good special teams player in college so he can contribute there.

18 hours ago, Tranquilo said:

Hot hand. The Niners always split Coleman and Brieda till Mostert took the job and he kinda became the head back but got hurt, so they went back to a committee. It’s going to depend on matchup and whoever is hot. 

agreed. In SF Jeffrey Wilson, an UDFA, and last on the depth chart eventually earned a significant number of carries and targets.

• Upvote 1